PDA

View Full Version : Nike EYBL #4 - Minneapolis

tommy
05-28-2013, 01:26 AM
I was not there, but at least gathered some statistical and other information from this weekend's marathon session in Minneapolis.

Hometown hero Tyus Jones did not disappoint. His lines (points-rebounds-assists) went like this in his 5 games:
27-2-4
25-2-4
25-1-8
24-5-8
9-0-11 -- this was the last game, on Monday morning, so who knows what the energy level was like. Other than that one, pretty darn consistent -- and dominant.

Jahlil Okafor played a little in his first game, but hurt his ankle again and sat out the rest of the weekend.

Justise Winslow's numbers were very consistent. Not eye-popping, but solid and consistent. 16 points and 7 boards in his opener, followed by 14 & 13, 12 & 7, 15 & 12, and then 5 and 3 with 9 assists in the Monday closer.

2014 commit Grayson Allen did not shoot the ball well. In his four games, his lines went like this: 10-4-1, 8-4-3, 8-5-3, and 11-7-7. His field goal shooting went like this: 4 of 15, 3 of 11, 2 of 9, 3 of 14, for a total of 12 of 49.

Oakland Soldiers wing Stanley Johnson was his usual stellar self. Try these on for size: 23 points and 12 boards in his opener, followed by 19 & 7, 24 & 9, 16 & 9, and then 5 and 4 in the closer on Monday. From what I've seen of him, his energy and intensity, plus what I've read and numbers like this that he continues to put up against top competition, I really would love to see this guy in a Duke uniform.

SG Devin Booker out of Mississippi, with whom things seemed to have cooled in particular since the commitment of Allen, went like this: 19-5-3, 12-1-4, 11 and 11, 14-7-6, 18-5-9. He's going to be a good one, I believe.

Trey Lyles, of the Specie Indy Heat squad, seemed to play third banana all weekend to two outstanding teammates, James Blackmon and Tevon Blueitt. Lyles averaged only about 11 points and 5 or 6 rebounds per game.

SG Jalen Lindsey averaged 11 points but rebounded well from the guard position, pulling down almost 8 per game.

Two 2015's from the Team Texas Elite squad that Duke has shown interest in are shooter Austin Grandstaff and power forward Elijah Thomas. Grandstaff had one big game where he went off for 25, but in the other four games averaged only about 9 points. He did rebound well though for his position, grabbing almost 8 per game. Thomas was pretty consistent again, going 13 & 7, 14 & 2, 8 & 3 (his worst game), 19 & 10, and 16 & 4.

Sounded to me like Blackmon (an Indiana commit) and Blueitt (who is also from Indiana) were two of the stars of the weekend along with the following: power man Cliff Alexander out of Chicago, who is reportedly down to Kentucky, Michigan State, and Illinois, 2015 SG Malik Newman out of Mississippi, Winslow's AAU teammate and UNC commit Justin Jackson, 2014 Philly PG JaQuan Newton, Carolina recruit Rashad Vaughn out of Minnesota, 2015 wing Keelon Lawson out of Memphis, 2015 wide-body post player Tyler Davis out of Texas, Tyus' AAU teammate Reid Travis (PF out of Minnesota), Carolina commit Joel Berry (PG out of Florida), and 2015 wing Malachi Richardson out of New Jersey.

Two other guys of note: Isaiah "Boogie" Briscoe out of New Jersey is a big time scorer, but I don't know about him as a point. He scored 23-20-22-24-35 this weekend. His assists went like this: 4-4-0-1-0. Less then two per game, with a total of one in his last three games.

And then there's Theo. Started strong, getting 27 in his opener. But then went 9-6-17-13 in his last four games. With all the talent that kid has, and the body, I don't understand how he ever fails to get 20 in an AAU game.

That's all I've got. Hopefully someone else was there or is at liberty to share info from someone who was.

roywhite
05-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks for a great write-up, Tommy.

Just a few thoughts and questions:
Tyus Jones would be a huge get, though perhaps a one-year guy? If he were to team with a senior Quinn Cook, that would be a small, but very potent back court; I'm amazed at Jones' scoring ability while still generating assists.

Okafor...I'm beginning to wonder if he's injury-prone.

Winslow---such an all-around player, and what a rebounder; is he a top 10 recruit who may not be a one-and-done threat due to his comparatively modest scoring?...which would make him even more valuable to a college program?

Was Looney at this one?

Will Stanley Johnson seriously consider attending school back East?

AncientPsychicT
05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Jahlil Okafor played a little in his first game, but hurt his ankle again and sat out the rest of the weekend.

So he's a big guy with lingering, nagging foot problems? He should stop leading others on and just commit to us already....

ChillinDuke
05-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Much appreciated, Tommy.

- Chillin

BD80
05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
So he's a big guy with lingering, nagging foot problems? He should stop leading others on and just commit to us already....

With the other on campus visits he and his family will see the jock dorm room, the practice facility, meet the coaches and training staff. ...

At Duke they will see the world class orthopedic surgical facilities, private hospital rooms, rehab facilities, meet the finest surgeons, nurses and trainers in the world,

as well as the best and most decorated coaching staff in the world and world class educational and training facilities ...

roywhite
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
With the other on campus visits he and his family will see the jock dorm room, the practice facility, meet the coaches and training staff. ...

At Duke they will see the world class orthopedic surgical facilities, private hospital rooms, rehab facilities, meet the finest surgeons, nurses and trainers in the world,

as well as the best and most decorated coaching staff in the world and world class educational and training facilities ...

Possible slogans for recruiting?

We're Duke; we know feet

Duke Basketball...a step ahead of the others.

devildeac
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Possible slogans for recruiting?

We're Duke; we know feet

Duke Basketball...a step ahead of the others.

Ok, roywhite, you started it:

Duke-we'll start you out on the right (or left) foot.:o

To stay on task, thanks for the report, tommy!

tommy
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for a great write-up, Tommy.

Just a few thoughts and questions:
Tyus Jones would be a huge get, though perhaps a one-year guy? If he were to team with a senior Quinn Cook, that would be a small, but very potent back court; I'm amazed at Jones' scoring ability while still generating assists.

Okafor...I'm beginning to wonder if he's injury-prone.

Winslow---such an all-around player, and what a rebounder; is he a top 10 recruit who may not be a one-and-done threat due to his comparatively modest scoring?...which would make him even more valuable to a college program?

Was Looney at this one?

Will Stanley Johnson seriously consider attending school back East?

I don't get the feeling that Winslow is a one-and-done type of kid. No doubt about it, he would be a huge get for the Devils. Stanley Johnson indicated that Duke will get a visit, so that's a good sign. Winslow is the top priority at the position though. Both Arizona and Duke are involved with both. I get the feeling that if Johnson chose Arizona that Winslow would sign with Duke (he might anyway even if Johnson doesn't go to Tucson) but I don't feel nearly as strongly the other way, that is, that if Winslow went to Arizona that Johnson would necessarily come east. He might, but I wouldn't lay any folding money on it.

Kavon Looney's Milwaukee Rebels AAU squad was not involved in the EYBL circuit this spring, so he was not in Minneapolis.

Native
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Ok, roywhite, you started it:

Duke-we'll start you out on the right (or left) foot.:o

Duke Basketball: The Thrill Of Victory... Without The Agony Of De-Feet.

devildeac
05-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Duke Basketball: The Thrill Of Victory... Without The Agony Of De-Feet.

Unfortunately, we have had too much of the agony of de-feet in the last couple decades:(.

But well done anyway, Native;).

SDBlueDevil21
05-29-2013, 09:29 AM
An article from this weekend by Jason Jordan of USATODAY that touches on Duke recruits Tyus Jones and Jalil Okafor. Maybe most interesting is his number 2 bullet point on Grayson Allen. Speaks of buzz reguarding Allen and his potential climb up recruiting rankings.

http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/335-what-we-learned-eybl

NSDukeFan
05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately, we have had too much of the agony of de-feet in the last couple decades:(.

But well done anyway, Native;).

It would be quite a feat to make it through a year injury-free.

TexHawk
05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
An article from this weekend by Jason Jordan of USATODAY that touches on Duke recruits Tyus Jones and Jalil Okafor. Maybe most interesting is his number 2 bullet point on Grayson Allen. Speaks of buzz reguarding Allen and his potential climb up recruiting rankings.

Not that it matters for this thread, but Jason Jordan's comments on Allen's efficiency (after a 12-50 shooting performance in 4 games) are getting him torched by college bball scouts on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JayJayUSATODAY/status/339562210365952000) right now.

SDBlueDevil21
05-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Not that it matters for this thread, but Jason Jordan's comments on Allen's efficiency (after a 12-50 shooting performance in 4 games) are getting him torched by college bball scouts on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JayJayUSATODAY/status/339562210365952000) right now.

Obviously, this weekend is not what he was ultimately referring to. Jordan was referring to Allen's body of work (Dallas, Junior HS season). Allen was been talked about as up and coming by not only Jordan, but Telep and Biancardi of ESPN as well. The kid is a player. Duke would not have offered him from a loaded 2014 class if he was not.

Ichabod Drain
05-29-2013, 11:09 AM

It was 12-49

TexHawk
05-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Obviously, this weekend is not what he was ultimately referring to. Jordan was referring to Allen's body of work (Dallas, Junior HS season). Allen was been talked about as up and coming by not only Jordan, but Telep and Biancardi of ESPN as well. The kid is a player. Duke would not have offered him from a loaded 2014 class if he was not.
That's fine, good for Allen and Duke. Just thought it was an interesting little subplot.

SDBlueDevil21
05-29-2013, 11:58 AM
That's fine, good for Allen and Duke. Just thought it was an interesting little subplot.

Agreed. Think it may point out the kids game has some holes that need to be shored up as not all scouts agree on how he measures up with others in the class.