PDA

View Full Version : Great Photo on Front Page-let us never forget what everyday folks did for us all

ClosetHurleyFan
05-27-2013, 11:42 PM
i applaud you guys for the front page photo. As we grill out this evening its easy to lose sight of what this day is all about: the amazing sacrifice many men and woman have made to defend our country. I cant imagine what it was like as the door opened on those landing craft on D-Day. Many of those guys at Omaha beach were cut down by machine gun fire as soon as it opened. My former boss's father landed at Omaha. One day he called him at work to tell him that he finally watched Saving Private Ryan......and after a chilling silence he said ''Son.....thats exactly how it was that day' I get chill bumps every time I think about that story........

left_hook_lacey
05-28-2013, 11:29 AM
i applaud you guys for the front page photo. As we grill out this evening its easy to lose sight of what this day is all about: the amazing sacrifice many men and woman have made to defend our country. I cant imagine what it was like as the door opened on those landing craft on D-Day. Many of those guys at Omaha beach were cut down by machine gun fire as soon as it opened. My former boss's father landed at Omaha. One day he called him at work to tell him that he finally watched Saving Private Ryan......and after a chilling silence he said ''Son.....thats exactly how it was that day' I get chill bumps every time I think about that story........

Amen. I made my nieces and nephews watch a documentary about D-Day Sunday. They asked me why I was making them watch it and I said.."Because you need to always know and remember why tomorrow is Memorial Day and not just "a day off from school". The day is to be enjoyed, but also, to be a reminder as to why we can celebrate in any manner we want. Freedom.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
A little tidbit of history about the Higgins boats used at Omaha and other beach assaults.... they were designed and made in New Orleans. The entire community sacrificed much to be able to keep the factory running 24/7.

If you have the opportunity to visit New Orleans, please make the time to visit the WW II Museum..... a day well spent.

sagegrouse
05-28-2013, 12:12 PM
If you have the opportunity to visit New Orleans, please make the time to visit the WW II Museum..... a day well spent.

Do you recommend it as a hangover remedy? -- sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Do you recommend it as a hangover remedy? -- sagegrouse
:cool:I don't have hangovers when I'm in in NOLA, so I can't speak to that particular point. I do enjoy the life style of food and beverage along with the history, music and culture there.

The WWII Museum is a jewel. It started as a project in a class at Tulane and kept going long after the class ended. People kept sending their memorabilia and eventually the museum was born... and continues to grow. Just recently a woman was touring with a group and came across the dairy of her sweetheart who had died during the war. She had not seen the diary since it was given to his sister. A beautiful story, one of many associated with this special museum.

The story behind the Higgins boats is not so well known, but very interesting. I'll leave it for visitors to learn about when they make their own visits to the museum.

dukeofcalabash
05-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, it's a great day to honor and respect great people who have served in our armed forces. Anyone can be a banker, a lawyer, a judge, a doctor, or just about any other job they can learn. Those who served, and especially those who have stood their ground against enemy fire to protect America should be recognized as the great people of this nation. My thanks to all of them.

77devil
05-29-2013, 11:40 PM

My father flew a C-47 from North Africa into Sicily shortly after the allied invasion and happened to be on site when President Roosevelt and General Eisenhower made a surprise visit.

He flew paratroopers on D-Day and was shot down behind enemy lines, survived and picked up a rifle and fought with the infantry. Thanks Dad, and thanks to all the others who have sacrificed.

Olympic Fan
05-30-2013, 12:52 AM
While the D-Day Museum in New Orleans is an amazing experience (thanks in large part to historian Stephen Ambrose), the official D-Day Memorial -- established by an act of Congress -- is in Bedford, Va.

That tiny town (3,200 in 1944) suffered brutal losses on D-Day. Company A of the 116th Infantry Regiment (29th Division) was a National Guard unit heavily populated by the "Bedford Boys'. They were in the first wave on Omaha and took horrific losses. At least 21 Bedford Boys died on D-Day and several more in the Normandy Campaign. Proportionally, Bedford lost more men on D-Day than any community in America, The town holds a D-Day Memorial every June 6 ... although the last Bedford Boy died in 2009 at the age of 94. I drove up in 2006 and it's a moving place to remember D-Day.

Buckeye Devil
05-30-2013, 07:47 AM
The WWII guys are getting fewer and far between. My step dad, who was in N. Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, etc. turns 92 this year. The Korean War vets are into their 80's and the Vietnam vets are getting up there too. If you have a relative who is a vet, try and get him/her to provide an account of his/her experiences overseas. Get it in writing for posterity.