PDA

View Full Version : Duke Men's Lacrosse 2013 NCAA Champions

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 09:42 AM
1:00 Eastern on ESPN. I you can't watch, there will be liveblogs at inside lacrosse.com and laxmagazine.com.

Everything Cuse does offensively goes through number 22, midfielder JoJo Marasco. He is an elite feeder with a point-guard mentality, and Cuse's other offensive players are really good at getting open off-ball. If Duprey and/or Haus can keep Marasco in check and force Cuse's other offensive players to create their own shots, Duke should be in good shape.

Cuse has two quality close defensemen, Brian Megil (11) and David Hamlin (31), an elite LSM in Matt Harris (44), and a quality SSDM in Steve Ianzito (24). Ianzito sprained an ankle against Yale and didn't appear to be 100 percent against Denver. The matchup between Wolf and Megill could be key. I assume that Harris will match up with Lawson and Offit; if so, Tripucka and Jones should attack Ianzito early and often.

Cuse faces off by committe, and they are awful, 42 percent for the season. Duke should have a big possession advantage unless they squander it by turning the ball over.

Cuse has held its last seven opponents to single digit goals. Duke has scored 12 or more in 12 straight. Something has to give.

Bob Green
05-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Thank you very much for the scouting report!!! I'm excited to watch Duke try and bring home another national championship and your post helps me know what to watch for during the game.

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Great compilation of Championship Monday background stories here.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/5/27/4369984/lacrosse-the-internet-memorial-monday

There will be a chat going at collegecrosse.com during the game.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Horrible, horrible start. Faceoffs lost, bad D (standing and ball-watching) and an early penalty. Already down, 0-3 with about 9 to go 1Q.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Orange has 6 shots if I am counting correctly and Turri (sp?) has 0 saves. To be fair, I think he's had little help. Duke has 3 shots and the 'Cuse has 3 saves. Now down 0-4.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Syracuse is showing the strength and speed we've been hearing about throughout the season. Our guys have been so close to scoring, but Syracuse is faster at saving and blocking than we are at scoring. We've got to move faster to get past the Syracuse defense.

chrishoke
05-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Pretty pathetic Ty.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Coming back, now 4-6, after being down 1-6.

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Looks like Turri found his big boy pants. Defense has to stop over-committing with the patience and passing that Syracuse is showing. Offense was just a matter of time. Goalie wan't going to make those saves forever.

chrishoke
05-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Fowler starting to dominate at the X.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Looks like Turri found his big boy pants. Defense has to stop over-committing with the patience and passing that Syracuse is showing. Offense was just a matter of time. Goalie wan't going to make those saves forever.

Yea, one stat was 11 straight misses for the Devils. How often will that happen?

devildeac
05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Just missed tying it up with a couple good shots before halftime, running the last 55 seconds off the clock with no turnover, no foul and no end of half possession for the Orange. Looked like a good 2Q to me.

Bob Green
05-27-2013, 02:14 PM
The 2nd Quarter was much more enjoyable than the 1st. I enjoyed the eavesdropping session listening to Coach Danowskii telling the team to be patient on defense.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 02:21 PM
The 2nd Quarter was much more enjoyable than the 1st. I enjoyed the eavesdropping session listening to Coach Danokowski telling the team to be patient on defense.

What's in better shape now, Bob, your fingernails or your beer supply:o;)?

Bob Green
05-27-2013, 02:23 PM
What's in better shape now, Bob, your fingernails or your beer supply:o;)?

Beer supply is fine. Fingernails questionable.

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
That goal hurts. So many closely missed opportunities to take the lead and couldn't get over the hump. Can't let them get a run going.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 02:46 PM
That goal hurts. So many closely missed opportunities to take the lead and couldn't get over the hump. Can't let them get a run going.
Sweet to come back with 2 goals in :45 to take the lead. Let's go Devils!

devildeac
05-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Make that 3 goals in about 90 seconds or so, the last one coming a man up!

Bob Green
05-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Fowler is dominant on faceoffs.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 02:53 PM

He is pretty amazing. Shame we couldn't get a shot off and score as the 3rd ended. Another fine 15 minutes with the Devils "winning" that segment 5-1.

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 02:53 PM

That was huge to come right back on the next two possessions. Fowler just needs to keep doing his thing. In the semis, Cornell had some success popping it out right away. Interested to see what type of adjustment Syracuse tries.

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 02:54 PM
In all of its tournament games, Cuse has overcome its face off deficiency by forcing turnovers. Ball security is key for Duke.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 02:56 PM
In all of its tournament games, Cuse has overcome its face off deficiency by forcing turnovers. Ball security is key for Duke.

Dano really stressed that (no turnovers) with 55 seconds to go in the first half.

CDu
05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Man, Fowler is just putting on a dominant display in the faceoff. Syracuse has had no answer for him so far. Hopefully he keeps it going!

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Two quickies to open the fourth quarter. All Duke right now. 12-7, 12:27 to go.

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Matching 12-1 runs for both games this weekend. Just keep possession now.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Tripucka gets absolutely hammered as he puts Duke up 13-7. 10:47 to go after a minute and 45 seconds possession.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I think that was Fowler's 18th win out of 22 faceoffs.

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Nothing quick for them. They had to take a good bit of time to score that last goal. Clock is our friend. Hope McGill is ok.

throatybeard
05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I just saw a stat, more than 80% TOP in the 2H.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Bad turnover there after regaining possession after a shot.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Looked like typical big east defense, four fouls, one penalty.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Oh, baby, I hope that one does it. Offside on 'Cuse and, on a quick re-start, we score on a breakaway to go up 5, 14-9. Huge.

CDu
Just gotta protect possession now. Don't even need to shoot until the stall warnings come.

Mabdul Doobakus
Well, that should about do it.

I don't know much about lacrosse, but for about 15 minutes from mid 3rd to mid 4th quarter, Duke was as dominant as any team I've ever seen in any sport. Fowler won, I think, 12 faceoffs in a row, Duke scored 7 straight goals, and Syracuse barely even touched the ball.

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Let's go baby!!!

CDu
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
That should do it. 15-9. Under 2 minutes.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Goalie leaves the crease to help out on D and Wolfe makes them pay.

DukieInKansas
05-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Been gaining knowledge from Native in Section 21. LGD!

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Fowler is the clear MVP here, but I want to give a shout out to Turri for those two huge interceptions. He basically started a two goal swing in the first half as Duke tried to keep momentum of the comeback and 'Cuse had a guy right on the doorstep. Then with 'Cuse having a chance to cut it to 3 with a good amount of time back, he stepped out on the lazy pass, and they never seriously threatened again.

weezie
05-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Championships R Duke!

Tom B.
05-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Fowler is the clear MVP here, but I want to give a shout out to Turri for those two huge interceptions. He basically started a two goal swing in the first half as Duke tried to keep momentum of the comeback and 'Cuse had a guy right on the doorstep. Then with 'Cuse having a chance to cut it to 3 with a good amount of time back, he stepped out on the lazy pass, and they never seriously threatened again.

Our run is now, what, 15 to 3?

Oops, 'Cuse just scored with 52 seconds left. Make it 15 to 4.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Putting on those big boy pants you mentioned up-thread in the 2nd quarter sure helped;).

Blue in the Face
05-27-2013, 03:35 PM
That was terrific, what a performance after the early deficit. Congrats to the team on a fantastic win.

ricks68
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
My wife just called from the game and said we won. We did?;)

Just kidding. Great game. A joy to watch.

Even if I couldn't go, at least she is bringing me some cool duds.

Go DUUUUUUUUUUKE!!!!!!

ricks

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 National Champion Duke Blue Devils.

Billy Dat
05-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Fowler starting to dominate at the X.

Man, Fowler is just putting on a dominant display in the faceoff. Syracuse has had no answer for him so far. Hopefully he keeps it going!

I think that was Fowler's 18th win out of 22 faceoffs.

It's tough to lose when you never give up the ball. Simply amazing. What a postseason run. Congrats to the champs!

chrishoke
05-27-2013, 03:44 PM
How sweet it is.

Des Esseintes
05-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Congratulations, lacrosse Devils. This is some run they've been on of late.

grossbus
05-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Outstanding! Congrats LAX!

Des Esseintes
05-27-2013, 03:57 PM
I'd also like to add how satisfying these two championships are after what the program went through a few years ago. People around the country who didn't follow that case closely *still* think the players were guilty of something. These victories aren't going to cleanse that stain, obviously, but it's nice that the players can be known for on-field dominance as well as some bogus controversy.

matt1
05-27-2013, 04:16 PM
What a turnaround this season! We are champions!

I was watching in a restaurant. What did Danowski say after the game?

Native
05-27-2013, 04:21 PM
I'd like to point out that we absolutely ran a gauntlet in this year's tournament. We beat the defending national champions in Loyola, the #2 overall seed in Notre Dame, Cornell — who had the NPOY (Rob Pannell) on their team — and today we beat the #1 overall seed to secure the championship. This is a well-deserved title by a very well-coached and talented team.

miramar
05-27-2013, 04:45 PM
What a turnaround this season! We are champions!

I was watching in a restaurant. What did Danowski say after the game?

In the interview he came across as very gracious and humble, which was great to see, but he was even better when they had a closeup of him talking to the team. He talked to them about his respect for Syracuse and made sure that they took off their national championship caps before they went over to shake hands. He's obviously a quality guy all the way.

Kedsy
05-27-2013, 05:03 PM
My son has now attended two Final Fours with me (one basketball and one lacrosse) and Duke has won the championship both times. Pretty good percentage. I guess I'll have to keep taking him to these things when they come up. :D

roywhite
05-27-2013, 05:28 PM
My son has now attended two Final Fours with me (one basketball and one lacrosse) and Duke has won the championship both times. Pretty good percentage. I guess I'll have to keep taking him to these things when they come up. :D

Way to represent! Feel free to do so again for the hoops Final Four, scheduled for April 5-7 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX.

Congrats to Coach Danowski and his team; from 2-4 to National Champs is an amazing run!

TruBlu
05-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Way to represent! Feel free to do so again for the hoops Final Four, scheduled for April 5-7 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX.

Congrats to Coach Danowski and his team; from 2-4 to National Champs is an amazing run!

And please take him to our bowl game in January, 2014.

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Wolf, Lawson, Tripucka named to the All-Tournament team. Richly deserved all around.

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Turri's three INTs.

Tommy Patterson's GB on the faceoff at 0-3 when Fowler was in the box. The box score gives Duprey credit for the faceoff win, but I remember that it was Payton.

Duke's D and d-mids, zero penalties.

cspan37421
05-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Big congrats to the Duke lacrosse team. I turned it on at half, and what a treat it was to see them bring home another national title for our school.

Fowler was amazing on those face offs. He might have had one more if he hadn't hesitated thinking there was a whistle. But his streak had been broken by then; maybe Syracuse should have put someone else out there sooner?

I don't know much about the sport's specific rules on the crease, stalling, etc., any more than I can explain the rules of hockey. But I get the gist of it, and Fowler's dominance really sealed the win for us. I note that in soccer, the team that was just scored upon effectively gets possession via a kickoff. Here, we could score and retain possession b/c Fowler kept winning the faceoff. Syracuse could not score without the ball, and once we had the lead, they very seldom got the ball unless we turned it over.

Who would have predicted we would follow the 2006 disaster/hoax/cancelled season with all these final four runs and two titles? Amazing. It sure feels like we struck gold with Coach Danowski in the same way we did with Coach Krzyzewski, though the former was more accomplished than the latter at the time of hire. Still, the former had to overcome an unprecedented (and unjustified) cloud over the program. One of Alleva's good moves.

msdukie
05-27-2013, 07:01 PM
One of Alleva's good moves.

What were the others?

And don't you think that Matt Danowski being on the team was a significant factor in John Danowski coming to Duke?

dukeofcalabash
05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Congraulations team. Does anyone know what the seniors on this team majored in while at Duke?

jv001
05-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Phase 1: This years team get's us to the Final Four.
Phase 2: Kedsy and son goes to the games.
Phase 3: Duke wins!!!!!
GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
05-27-2013, 07:54 PM
What were the others?

And don't you think that Matt Danowski being on the team was a significant factor in John Danowski coming to Duke?

Didn't Alleva sign Cut?

On topic, congrats to Coach Danowski, the team, and the program!

OZZIE4DUKE
05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Congrats to our National Champions! :cool::cool:

Tough start, great finish! Both the game and the season! :cool::cool:

arnie
05-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Didn't Alleva sign Cut?

On topic, congrats to Coach Danowski, the team, and the program!

A committee was formed to hire the replacement for Roof - basically took it out of Alleva's hands

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-27-2013, 09:36 PM
A committee was formed to hire the replacement for Roof - basically took it out of Alleva's hands

Not only was that true, I kept hearing that Coach Cutcliffe wasn't Joe's first choice.

77devil
05-27-2013, 09:42 PM
The Duke contingent in the stands was out numbered but we held our own. It was awfully quiet in the blue section after the first period but then Fowler took over. Hope Coach Dankowski has a few more walk on players like him next year. Congrats to all.

2010 might have been sweeter as it was the first, and went a long way to erase the bad memories of 2006, but this championship was seemingly more improbable. As in 2010, Dick Brodhead was nowhere to be seen, at least I didn't see him.

MCFinARL
05-27-2013, 09:50 PM
I'd like to point out that we absolutely ran a gauntlet in this year's tournament. We beat the defending national champions in Loyola, the #2 overall seed in Notre Dame, Cornell — who had the NPOY (Rob Pannell) on their team — and today we beat the #1 overall seed to secure the championship. This is a well-deserved title by a very well-coached and talented team.

And don't forget that Cornell, though unseeded, was the team most commentators thought would probably win going into the Final Four.

2014 lax championships in Baltimore--a pretty easy drive from Philadelphia. If Duke is there, I certainly hope you will be too! With a solid core of seniors next year (Wolf, Dionne, Walsh, Hipps, Lobb, Duprey, Fowler), Duke lacrosse will have the best shot at another championship next year that they are likely to have for a while, so we can't take any chances.

Who would have predicted we would follow the 2006 disaster/hoax/cancelled season with all these final four runs and two titles? Amazing. It sure feels like we struck gold with Coach Danowski in the same way we did with Coach Krzyzewski, though the former was more accomplished than the latter at the time of hire. Still, the former had to overcome an unprecedented (and unjustified) cloud over the program.

Quite possibly, John Danowski was the only coach who could have had success at Duke under the circumstances. As someone else has noted, his son was on the team; this gave him the ability to gain trust with players who were likely not only upset on their own account but shocked to have lost their coach. And Danowski's background in counseling was also, undoubtedly, very useful. At this point, though, with all of the players who went through that terrible time long gone, he's just proving that he is a great coach.

arnie
05-27-2013, 09:50 PM
The Duke contingent in the stands was out numbered but we held our own. It was awfully quiet in the blue section after the first period but then Fowler took over. Hope Coach Dankowski has a few more walk on players like him next year. Congrats to all.

2010 might have been sweeter as it was the first, and went a long way to erase the bad memories of 2006, but this championship was seemingly more improbable. As in 2010, Dick Brodhead was nowhere to be seen, at least I didn't see him.

13 total ncaa championships for devils. Interesting that VPI has zero and State has only 2

MCFinARL
05-27-2013, 09:53 PM

It was also sweeter because of the amazing overtime goal by CJ Costabile. But I agree, this championship was more improbable. As such, I'm guessing it is one that will seem sweeter and sweeter as time goes by.

pfrduke
05-27-2013, 10:09 PM
It was also sweeter because of the amazing overtime goal by CJ Costabile.

Both championships are notable for face-off play - 2010 had a single face-off moment that was defining, whereas this year was about consistent dominance at the x.

devildeac
05-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Not only was that true, I kept hearing that Coach Cutcliffe wasn't Joe's first choice.

Off topic-I think Captain Joe's choice was the UCLA coach (recently fired?) whose name I can't recall and don't want to remember. I seem to remember the committee that was mentioned just up-thread as the driving force behind Cut's hire.

On topic-What a win! I missed the couple minutes when we went from down by four to down 0-5 but saw most of the relentless comeback. Incredible three quarters, outscoring the Orange 16-5. Wish I knew more about the game to figure out what adjustment(s) Dano made after 1Q to make that magnificent turnaround.

wallyman
05-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Not sure what was cooler, the amazing pounding we gave to the #1 seeded team or the huddle after the game when Danowski told the players to take their championship caps off before shaking hands with the Cuse players. One of the classy coaching moments ever and absolutely in keeping with everything else we've seen from Danowski. If we stay healthy we should definitely be in the mix next year too, though we're going to need a lot of work in rebuilding the midfield sans Lawson, Tripucka, Offit, and Deluca. Great win. Congrats to all. A big bowing and scraping we-are-not-worthy to Brendan Fowler.

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 10:27 PM
And don't forget that Cornell, though unseeded, was the team most commentators thought would probably win going into the Final Four.

2014 lax championships in Baltimore--a pretty easy drive from Philadelphia. If Duke is there, I certainly hope you will be too! With a solid core of seniors next year (Wolf, Dionne, Walsh, Hipps, Lobb, Duprey, Fowler), Duke lacrosse will have the best shot at another championship next year that they are likely to have for a while, so we can't take any chances.

Quite possibly, John Danowski was the only coach who could have had success at Duke under the circumstances. As someone else has noted, his son was on the team; this gave him the ability to gain trust with players who were likely not only upset on their own account but shocked to have lost their coach. And Danowski's background in counseling was also, undoubtedly, very useful. At this point, though, with all of the players who went through that terrible time long gone, he's just proving that he is a great coach.

The other factor that shouldn't be forgotten, and that undoubtedly contributed greatly to the healing, was Dano's decision to retain Kevin Cassese as an assistant. It not only gave the team a feeling of continuity, it gave Dano a window into the culture of Duke lacrosse, and Duke as an institution, that had to have been extremely valuable.

burnspbesq
05-27-2013, 11:04 PM
ESPN is going to want Duke-Cuse in the Dome in both basketball and lacrosse next year. I wonder if it's possible to break down the court and move seats fast enough to have basketball at noon and lacrosse at 7:30 on a Saturday. I would buy a winter coat and fly in for that. :cool:

roywhite
05-27-2013, 11:18 PM
ESPN is going to want Duke-Cuse in the Dome in both basketball and lacrosse next year. I wonder if it's possible to break down the court and move seats fast enough to have basketball at noon and lacrosse at 7:30 on a Saturday. I would buy a winter coat and fly in for that. :cool:

Yeah, that would be something as Duke's Polish pair of Danowski and Krzyzewski invade the Carrier Dome.

Came across this wiki bio of Ed Danowski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Danowski), John's father and Matt's grandfather, who was an NFL quarterback.

By the way, major props to burnspbesq for his knowledge and contributions in many areas, with lacrosse perhaps foremost.

matt1
05-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that it will be fun to have Syracuse in the ACC? By the way, they just showed a replay of the game on ESPNU.

HK Dukie
05-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Big congratulations to the team and program! As I am overseas, I don't get to tune in to games but always follow the message boards here and ESPN on the team. Thanks for all the informative write-ups throughout the season on these boards.

Great job by all!

moonpie23
05-27-2013, 11:59 PM
big congrats to the team and staff!!!!

burnspbesq
05-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah, that would be something as Duke's Polish pair of Danowski and Krzyzewski invade the Carrier Dome.

Came across this wiki bio of Ed Danowski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Danowski), John's father and Matt's grandfather, who was an NFL quarterback.

By the way, major props to burnspbesq for his knowledge and contributions in many areas, with lacrosse perhaps foremost.

Stop it, yer gonna make me blush.

greybeard
05-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Yeap.

SoCalDukeFan
05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Not sure what was cooler, the amazing pounding we gave to the #1 seeded team or the huddle after the game when Danowski told the players to take their championship caps off before shaking hands with the Cuse players. One of the classy coaching moments ever and absolutely in keeping with everything else we've seen from Danowski. If we stay healthy we should definitely be in the mix next year too, though we're going to need a lot of work in rebuilding the midfield sans Lawson, Tripucka, Offit, and Deluca. Great win. Congrats to all. A big bowing and scraping we-are-not-worthy to Brendan Fowler.

It was great that Danowski told the players to take off their caps. No need to rub it in.

However I do not feel bound by that when "discussing" the game with Syracuse alums.

SoCal

MCFinARL
05-28-2013, 03:05 PM
It was great that Danowski told the players to take off their caps. No need to rub it in.

However I do not feel bound by that when "discussing" the game with Syracuse alums.

SoCal

A completely appropriate distinction. The Syracuse team played hard and honorably and deserve respect. Fans are, well, fans. And Syracuse lax fans are relatively annoying as fans go--they can be as arrogant and entitled as people are always claiming (completely baselessly, of course) Duke basketball fans are.

roywhite
05-28-2013, 03:24 PM

SoCal

Agree on Danowski's sportsmanship.

Must say there was unbridled enthusiasm (and language) by the players at the immediate post-game celebration and hoisting of the trophy. The 7-second delay was put to good use to blip out certain phrases and shouts. Eh, they earned it, and then back to good manners with Coach D's reminder.

Bluedog
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Agree on Danowski's sportsmanship.

Must say there was unbridled enthusiasm (and language) by the players at the immediate post-game celebration and hoisting of the trophy. The 7-second delay was put to good use to blip out certain phrases and shouts. Eh, they earned it, and then back to good manners with Coach D's reminder.

Until ESPN put together the One Shining Moment-like montage of the tournament and ended it with a nice "F* yeah!" They bleeped it out when it happened live, but not as part of the short video chronicling the highlights of the tournament, haha. In any event, what a win and season! Congrats to the team and Coach Danowski. Nobody would have seen this coming near the beginning of the season and they hung tough and pulled out wins when they needed to. Well deserved.

Rich
05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Until ESPN put together the One Shining Moment-like montage of the tournament and ended it with a nice "F* yeah!" They bleeped it out when it happened live, but not as part of the short video chronicling the highlights of the tournament, haha. In any event, what a win and season! Congrats to the team and Coach Danowski. Nobody would have seen this coming near the beginning of the season and they hung tough and pulled out wins when they needed to. Well deserved.

I'm curious, is winning a championship ever NOT well deserved? Either you're the best team going in and you expectedly run the table to the title. Or you're an underdog that puts together an unanticipated victory, or string of victories, against the best team(s) to win the title. Either way, it's well deserved. Just sayin'.

Duvall
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm curious, is winning a championship ever NOT well deserved?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QPB9NBUG2g

chrishoke
05-28-2013, 06:11 PM
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=2535705&db_oem_id=4200

Post game press conference, highlights and celebration - pretty cool.

buddy
05-28-2013, 08:46 PM
I was at the game Monday. Starting I think in the third quarter, after each Duke score, the Duke section started to chant "Let's Go Fowler" to the tune of "Let's Go Devils". Don't know if the TV could pick it up, or even the players, but it was really cool. I have rarely seen an athlete on such a roll, with all his teams fans in support.

Also, there was a particularly leatherlunged Syracuse supporter directly behind me. Every time we started a Duke cheer he shouted a Syracuse cheer over us. When we were down 5-0 it was particularly irritating. And of course the refs were "trying to keep Duke in the game", etc. Anyway, he was gone by the end of the third quarter. "How sweet it is!"

Kedsy
05-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I was at the game Monday. Starting I think in the third quarter, after each Duke score, the Duke section started to chant "Let's Go Fowler" to the tune of "Let's Go Devils". Don't know if the TV could pick it up, or even the players, but it was really cool. I have rarely seen an athlete on such a roll, with all his teams fans in support.

Also, there was a particularly leatherlunged Syracuse supporter directly behind me. Every time we started a Duke cheer he shouted a Syracuse cheer over us. When we were down 5-0 it was particularly irritating. And of course the refs were "trying to keep Duke in the game", etc. Anyway, he was gone by the end of the third quarter. "How sweet it is!"

Were you in section 137?

Dev11
05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
I was in the barren wasteland of section 109, there were a few Cuse fans in my vicinty, but they petered out shortly into the third quarter.

Great happenstance to be able to attend this game.

buddy
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Were you in section 137?

yep. Row 26, Seat 6.

BigWayne
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm curious, is winning a championship ever NOT well deserved? Either you're the best team going in and you expectedly run the table to the title. Or you're an underdog that puts together an unanticipated victory, or string of victories, against the best team(s) to win the title. Either way, it's well deserved. Just sayin'.
Well there was a certain basketball championship in 1972 that might go against your reasoning.

Kedsy
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
yep. Row 26, Seat 6.

I was in Row 25, seat 3, essentially right in front of you. I think my son was in Row 25, seat 6, directly in front of you (he was the 12 year old wearing the horned hat). I figured you must have been near me because we were involved in the "let's go Fowler" chant and made similar comments amongst ourselves about the obnoxious Syracuse fan.

greybeard
05-29-2013, 01:39 PM

Seabiscuit and a nag are both horses; the same?