PDA

View Full Version : Where does John Danowski stand among Duke's greatest coaches

nmduke2001
05-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Clearly Coach K is at the top of the list of all-time coaches at Duke. I'm wondering who is #2. If the Lacrosse teams wins tomorrow, Coach Danowski will have 2 championships and 7 Final Four appearances while at Duke. Where would that put Danowski? Clear #2 behind K? How about Wallace Wade and Eddie Cameron? I'm sure that I'm missing a golf or tennis coach that is deserving.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Clearly Coach K is at the top of the list of all-time coaches at Duke. I'm wondering who is #2. If the Lacrosse teams wins tomorrow, Coach Danowski will have 2 championships and 7 Final Four appearances while at Duke. Where would that put Danowski? Clear #2 behind K? How about Wallace Wade and Eddie Cameron? I'm sure that I'm missing a golf or tennis coach that is deserving.

Don't leave out track and field coaches while you're musing over this topic.

uh_no
05-26-2013, 03:17 PM

how many natties does the golf team have?

nmduke2001
05-26-2013, 03:36 PM
how many natties does the golf team have?

Women's golf has 5. Wow. I knew they had multiple, but I didn't realize it was 5.

duketaylor
05-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Dan Brooks has 5 NCs, easily the most, but I'd hesistate to claim him to be #1. Tie? Close, certainly. They just finished 2nd again this year. http://www.ncaa.com/content/di-womens-golf-leaderboard

msdukie
05-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Dan Brooks is also the winningest coach in the history of college women's golf and has completely dominated both the ACC and NCAAs.

Brooks and K are the GOATS of their respective sports.

Danowksi is at best the third greatest coach in Duke history.

phaedrus
05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't leave out track and field coaches while you're musing over this topic.

Since his name hasn't been mentioned yet:

Al Buehler.

NashvilleDevil
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Dan Brooks is also the winningest coach in the history of college women's golf and has completely dominated both the ACC and NCAAs.

Brooks and K are the GOATS of their respective sports.

Danowksi is at best the third greatest coach in Duke history.

I'd put Al Buelher in the top 3 maybe even 2nd after Coach K

SCMatt33
05-27-2013, 04:02 PM
I think we'd be remiss to have this conversation without giving Eddie Cameron and Wallace Wade more talk. They may not have championship rings, but their influence on the athletic program is unmatched. I know we're talking coaches and Cameron did as much if not more as AD, but they have their names on the two most important athletic buildings on campus for a reason.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I think we'd be remiss to have this conversation without giving Eddie Cameron and Wallace Wade more talk. They may not have championship rings, but their influence on the athletic program is unmatched. I know we're talking coaches and Cameron did as much if not more as AD, but they have their names on the two most important athletic buildings on campus for a reason.
For those who weren't alive and watching Duke football under Coach Wade, consider Coach Cutcliffe's remarks in a recent interview. He was asked about what Grant of Rights would mean in The ACC. His answer was: "I asked [former ACC commissioner] Gene Corrigan this, and his comment to me was that the ACC found its footing initially because of Duke football. Oddly enough. In that era, Duke football was one of the more dominant sports of all the ACC members. We're trying to go full circle in that regard."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130429/duke-david-cutcliffe/#ixzz2UWjG6rbN

The coach who built Duke into a national powerhouse was Wallace Wade with support from Eddie Cameron who played various roles over time.

BigWayne
05-28-2013, 12:22 AM
I doubt they had rings made, but Wallace Wade won 3 national championships in football and went to 6 Rose Bowl games.

sagegrouse
05-28-2013, 06:53 AM
I doubt they had rings made, but Wallace Wade won 3 national championships in football and went to 6 Rose Bowl games.

Funny.... But here are the rankings of Duke under Wallace Wade, beginning in 1936, which was when the AP poll got rolling. The 1938 and 1941 teams were undefeated and went to the Rose Bowl. -- sagegrouse

Year AP
1936 #11
1937 #20
1938 #3
1939 #8
1940 #18
1941 #2
1943 #7
1944 #11
1945 #13
1947 #19

duke79
05-28-2013, 09:56 AM

We should not overlook the longtime baseball coach - Jack Coombs - in the pantheon of great Duke coaches. He coached the baseball team from 1929 to 1952. I'm not sure he won any national titles (I think these were the days before the college world series in baseball) but Duke was almost always a national powerhouse in baseball during his coaching days. His overall record at Duke was 381-171-3 and Duke won 7 Southern Conference titles during his coaching tenure. The baseball field at Duke is named after him, as well as the baseball field at Colby College in Maine, his alma mater. 47 of his players went on to play in the major leagues and he attracted many top baseball players to Duke, including my father who pitched for him in the 1940's. Like many other great Duke coaches, he was considered an outstanding person who developed close relationships with his players. See Wikipedia link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Coombs

dpslaw
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Funny.... But here are the rankings of Duke under Wallace Wade, beginning in 1936, which was when the AP poll got rolling. The 1938 and 1941 teams were undefeated and went to the Rose Bowl. -- sagegrouse

Year AP
1936 #11
1937 #20
1938 #3
1939 #8
1940 #18
1941 #2
1943 #7
1944 #11
1945 #13
1947 #19

During the war years (1942-45), Eddie Cameron served as head football coach.

Atldukie79
05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
This is a fun, interesting, off season topic...but one that must be qualified by criteria.
Are we comapring FFs and NCs?
ACC titles?
Number of AAs?
Longevity?

I find it difficult to compare different eras and different sports.
I think degree of difficulty and impact made on the school and the participants, all qualitative metrics, should be discussed.

For example, Danowski's 7 consecutive onfield seasons of achievement are unprececented in comaprison to other coaches.
Yet does the comparitively limited number of high profile schools playing LAX diminish that success? Or does entering the fray amid the disruption after the faux LAX scandal make it more impressive?

Should a coach's achievement in a high profile, ultra competitive sport (football, hoops) be considered more impressive for the level of scrutiny it receives?

The case for a Wallace Wade must consider additional circumstances...he had established southern football in an era when the south was often in many ways looked down on by the rest of the country. His successes at Alabama and Duke during the 1920's and 1930's were accomplished in the shadow of great discrimination in society...both on and off the field. Consider that Wade's first game at Duke was closer in time to the end of the Civil War than to today.

Wade was the first footbal coach to be featured on the cover of Time magazine. Quite an achievement for that era.

Sorry for the diversion, but I find it rather hard to compare a Danowski to a Wade on so many levels.
But it is fun!

sagegrouse
05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
During the war years (1942-45), Eddie Cameron served as head football coach.

You are right. Wade, who played at Brown like one other famous football coach, coached Duke from 1931-1941 (including the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 1942 in Durham) and from 1946 to 1950. His best years were before the war. Innovations like the T formation were a problem for Duke and Wade after WWII.

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
This is a fun, interesting, off season topic...but one that must be qualified by criteria.
Are we comapring FFs and NCs?
ACC titles?
Number of AAs?
Longevity?

I find it difficult to compare different eras and different sports.
I think degree of difficulty and impact made on the school and the participants, all qualitative metrics, should be discussed.

For example, Danowski's 7 consecutive onfield seasons of achievement are unprececented in comaprison to other coaches.
Yet does the comparitively limited number of high profile schools playing LAX diminish that success? Or does entering the fray amid the disruption after the faux LAX scandal make it more impressive?

Should a coach's achievement in a high profile, ultra competitive sport (football, hoops) be considered more impressive for the level of scrutiny it receives?

The case for a Wallace Wade must consider additional circumstances...he had established southern football in an era when the south was often in many ways looked down on by the rest of the country. His successes at Alabama and Duke during the 1920's and 1930's were accomplished in the shadow of great discrimination in society...both on and off the field. Consider that Wade's first game at Duke was closer in time to the end of the Civil War than to today.

Wade was the first footbal coach to be featured on the cover of Time magazine. Quite an achievement for that era.

Sorry for the diversion, but I find it rather hard to compare a Danowski to a Wade on so many levels.
But it is fun!
Wallace Wade is that rare individual who played in the Rose Bowl (Brown University) and then participated as a coach who took two different schools to the Rose Bowl. The fact that each of the two universities he took went more than once while he was their coach is even more remarkable.

greybeard
05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Heard the commentators say he is among the top three of current lax coaches, I think pressing for the top three in the most modern era, since technology and training techniques have changed the game. The guy seems that good.

gus
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
I think Coach Beguinet deserves a mention too. Duke has 4 individual national championships (from two fencers). The program has really come a long way under him.

wilko
05-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Where does he stand?
I have no idea how tall he is....

Mike Corey
05-28-2013, 06:02 PM
I think Coach Beguinet deserves a mention too. Duke has 4 individual national championships (from two fencers). The program has really come a long way under him.

While I completely agree with your sentiments regarding Beguinet, it becomes very difficult to gauge the quality of coaches based upon those winning individual titles.

Consider these credentials:

All-time ACC wins leader
8 conference titles
8 final fours
2 runner-up finishes
1 national team championship
22 All-Americans
2 individual NCAA champions

Where does this coach fall in the pantheon? He's Jamie Ashworth, our outstanding women's tennis coach.

I think the answer is that you have to consider both the team successes and individual successes. And three stand out even from wonderful coaches like Coach Ashworth, Coach Beguinet, etc.:

Dan Brooks' resume:

5 NCAA Titles
2 National Runner-up Finishes
16 ACC Titles
6 NPOYs
3 Individual NCAA Champs
20 All-Americans (not including this season)

Coach K's resume I assume everyone knows. It's impressive, I suppose.

Coach Danowski:
2 NCAA Titles
7 Final Fours
37 All-Americans (not including this season)
2 NPOYs

buddy
05-28-2013, 08:35 PM
This discussion demonstrates the futility of trying to determine the "greatest" without first defining the criteria. Wins, National Championships (determined by tournament of polls?), All-Americans, professional success of players after college, etc. And what about those who coached in the era before the NCAA. How do you factor in the substantial increase in annual games? This discussion just shows how fortunate Duke athletics have been in the men (and women) who have coached our teams over the years. Notice that neither Vic Bubas nor Bill Murray have been mentioned. Neither would qualify as the best, but both are Hall of Famers. Just think, we can have a discussion about the "greatest" without mentioning Hall of Famers. How blessed are we? And not only in "revenue" sports but in "Olympic" sports as well. I could make the case for Dan Brooks as the greatest (see above), yet he labors in relative obscurity. Al Buehler in his time did as much for international track and field as K, yet their achievements are (and should be) viewed differently.

John Danowski certainly is the "greatest" Duke lacrosse coach. We live in the present and always think our time is the best time. Without checking the record books, I expect there are some Hopkins' coaches with better records. Let's just enjoy this very classy individual who happens to be very good at helping boys become men at a critical time in their lives. He doesn't sacrifice standards yet achieves ultimate success. (Maybe because he does not sacrifice standards!)

77devil
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
While I completely agree with your sentiments regarding Beguinet, it becomes very difficult to gauge the quality of coaches based upon those winning individual titles.

Consider these credentials:

All-time ACC wins leader
8 conference titles
8 final fours
2 runner-up finishes
1 national team championship
22 All-Americans
2 individual NCAA champions

Where does this coach fall in the pantheon? He's Jamie Ashworth, our outstanding women's tennis coach.

I think the answer is that you have to consider both the team successes and individual successes. And three stand out even from wonderful coaches like Coach Ashworth, Coach Beguinet, etc.:

Dan Brooks' resume:

5 NCAA Titles
2 National Runner-up Finishes
16 ACC Titles
6 NPOYs
3 Individual NCAA Champs
20 All-Americans (not including this season)

Coach K's resume I assume everyone knows. It's impressive, I suppose.

Coach Danowski:
2 NCAA Titles
7 Final Fours
37 All-Americans (not including this season)
2 NPOYs

I would add players graduated.

The list is an embarrassment of riches so to speak.

Dev11
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Where does he stand?

I've talked to the guy before. He's a big fellow. He would certainly own K in the octagon.

kmspeaks
05-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Where does he stand?

I've talked to the guy before. He's a big fellow. He would certainly own K in the octagon.

But is he tall enough to be a better big man coach than Wojo? Has anyone measured his height in cinder blocks? With or without shoes?

roywhite
05-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Duke's coaching Rushmore certainly includes Wallace Wade and Mike Krzyzewski (by the way, the sculptors said K's profile was no easy task ;))

John Danowski and Dan Brooks are bidding to be the next faces up.

Dev11
05-30-2013, 09:07 AM
But is he tall enough to be a better big man coach than Wojo? Has anyone measured his height in cinder blocks? With or without shoes?

He's about 1.3 times me, but I haven't been to the doctor recently to get my most accurate cinder block measurement.

sagegrouse
05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Duke's coaching Rushmore certainly includes Wallace Wade and Mike Krzyzewski (by the way, the sculptors said K's profile was no easy task ;))

John Danowski and Dan Brooks are bidding to be the next faces up.

We should also recognize Bill Murray, who coached from 1951 through 1965. Duke won six ACC championships during that time plus one SoCon championship in its last year. Duke won the Orange Bowl and the Cotton Bowl and was ranked in the top 20 at the end of the season in nine of those years.

Duke football in the 1950's was the heart and soul of the ACC.

And while Murray's achievements are not as gaudy as K's or the others, it was during the time when college football was next only to major league baseball as a popular sport. Moreover, look how poorly Duke has done since he left.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Steve Spurrier was (and is) a great coach. Too bad we only had him for three or so years of it.

Cut will deserve a slice of the conversation if he can keep us on the upward glide and maintain it for a spell. I wouldn't measure him by National Championships in this day and age, but I do not think we've come anywhere near peaking with him yet. Certainly, one of the two best coaches we have had in my lifetime at Duke.

But back to John, he clearly is one of the best coaches in his sport and we are lucky to have him. Congratulations!