PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant

Vincetaylor
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Adding Kobe Bryant was huge for the USA team. It kind of goes without saying considering how good he is, but he is the one player in the NBA who could bring this team Olympic gold. His greatness, intensity, and refusal to lose on both sides of the court is similar to MJ's and something the USA team has been missing the last several years. If Kobe sticks with the team, I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't bring home the gold medal. Without him, I'd be surprised if it does win the gold.

Jaymf7
08-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Without putting up remarkable numbers, Bryant truly set himself apart from everyone else on the floor last night. Before these games, he apparently asked Coach K to guard the best opponent on the floor every night. He earned the right to do so last night. He was relentless on defense and disrupted everything VZ sought to do.

Although I am a big fan of Lebron and Melo (moreso my home town D Wade), last night I did not see that intensity in the younger crowd. Sure they play hard, but Bryant was at another level. I suspect that will be contagious and give us a huge lift. I'm not sure we really need it, but this summer could provide some nice motivational tape on what it takes to win for the Duke team this fall.

Kidd was also great. He made plays that made me think that we could just run and get dunks as we rolled over the competetion next summer. If only that were true. We have a long way to go, but I liked what I saw last night.

dukemomLA
08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Kobe was terrific last night -- and will continue to play hard for a USA gold. (Good for him. It's about time he turned his selfishness around -- Thank You Coach K)

But the HERO of this team is Jason Kidd. (....and I wish A.I. were there also)

When USA brings home the Gold next year, it will be because of the skills, intensity, unselfish play, etc. etc. etc. of JKidd!!! What a joy to watch!

SilkyJ
08-23-2007, 01:08 PM
As DBR mentioned, the unselfishness of this team was remarkable. In the first quarter I saw a couple of opportunities where guys were passing almost too much on breakaways.

The final tally was 25 assists on 41 made field goals. Thats pretty impressive.

Not sure what DBR was talking about with regard to Tayshaun prince's playing time, he had the most minutes, even if a lot was garbage time...

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/fiba/boxscore?gameId=270824917

dukeENG2003
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Kobe, Kidd, and Chauncey to some degree seem to be the only players who really undestand how the rules differences should effect your defense. To play good defense in FIBA, you are doing what would be called a foul 9/10 times in the NBA. They recognize this, and are skirting that line, and it shows. Poor Vasquez is probably bruised all over after that.

I also really like how we've adjusted to the "interesting" interpretation of the moving screens that are commonplace. Kobe just SLAMS into them, pulls himself around him, whatever he has to do to get around. FORCE a call. I haven't seen it yet (ony watched the 1st quarter so far, while I was on lunch break), but I'm certain that before too long, we will see one of our players get called for a foul on that sort of play, which will then give K the ammunition to point out the glaring moving screens.

jacone21
08-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I remember watching the State Farm Challenge Blue vs White game, when the teams was in Vegas earlier this Summer. The details have become fuzzy, but there was one series where Bryant was defending one of the other guards. I believe it was Kidd. Anyway (in a scrimmage, mind you), Bryant picked him up at the inbounds pass and stuck him. It was like one of those defensive footwork drills we had to do in highschool, where the guy goes left and then right and then left, and the defender has to keep pace using footwork. It was textbook D, a thing of beauty. Kobe's footwork and hand movement were perfect. Just over halfcourt, Kobe got a piece of the ball and it went out of bounds. The other guard (Kidd?) put out his hand and slapped Kobe's to say, "Good D!" I remember thinking that if Team USA can play man up D like that, it's over already. I don't know if we hear enough about Kobe's defense, but I bet Coach K loves it.

Of course, at the end of the game Kobe nailed the gamewinner.

Clipsfan
08-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Kobe was terrific last night -- and will continue to play hard for a USA gold. (Good for him. It's about time he turned his selfishness around -- Thank You Coach K)

But the HERO of this team is Jason Kidd. (....and I wish A.I. were there also)

When USA brings home the Gold next year, it will be because of the skills, intensity, unselfish play, etc. etc. etc. of JKidd!!! What a joy to watch!

I'm fine with AI not being on the team as in my mind his name is nowhere near synonymous with "unselfish play". There are already too many people on the team who need to touch the ball. I really enjoy watching him play, but don't think that he is the correct choice for this team.

SilkyJ
08-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm fine with AI not being on the team as in my mind his name is nowhere near synonymous with "unselfish play". There are already too many people on the team who need to touch the ball. I really enjoy watching him play, but don't think that he is the correct choice for this team.

Agreed. I've always thought AI was a tremendous talent, arguably one of the more talented guys ever to come through the league, especially when you factor in the fact that he's 6 foot in shoes. He wouldn't mesh with this team, or with Coach K's general philosophy...we're talkin bout PRACTICE.

I don't know if we hear enough about Kobe's defense, but I bet Coach K loves it.

Great point. He his routinely 1st team all-defense and his size and athleticism allow him to guard a number of different guys from PGs like vasquez to SGs like Ginobli (not playing in this tourney I don't think) and can mix it up with some SFs too.

Which brings us to another point, which is the much improved defense on this team. Howard is a monster shot-blocker, and amare is no slouch. Kidd and Kobe have been 1st/2nd teamers since before 2000, and were both 1st team all-d in 06, and Tayshaun and Billups were both 2nd team in '06. Kobe was again 1st team in '07 and kidd and tayshaun were both 2nd team and Chauncey received quite a few votes as well. No surprise to the folks on this board as we understand Coach K's philosophy, but I think it makes a huge difference mentally when you have veterans and champions like Kobe, Kidd, and Billups (and somewhat Prince) who care about playing D. That sets a no-nonsense and non-selfish tone that younger guys like Lebron and Melo will buy into as well.

Just realized something looking up some stats: Jason Kidd has been on 4 1st teams all-d and 5 2nd teams all-d since the 98-99 season. That's EVERY seasons since 98-99. I always knew he was a great PG and passer, but I didn't realize quite how great his defense is.

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveteams.html

darthur
08-23-2007, 05:24 PM
and amare is no slouch.

I dunno... I'm a big Phoenix Suns fan but I've always thought Amare's D was weak.

Jim3k
08-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Adding Kobe Bryant was huge for the USA team. It kind of goes without saying considering how good he is, but he is the one player in the NBA who could bring this team Olympic gold. His greatness, intensity, and refusal to lose on both sides of the court is similar to MJ's and something the USA team has been missing the last several years. If Kobe sticks with the team, I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't bring home the gold medal. Without him, I'd be surprised if it does win the gold.

Hey Vincetaylor! Are you the real Vince Taylor? Our Vince Taylor? Four year letterman, graduating in 1982 Vince Taylor? 1982 Captain and all ACC Vince Taylor? Now UofL asst coach Vince Taylor?

If so, a big welcome to the Boards!

If you are not he, please use another handle. Former players' names are (should be) reserved for them.

Bob Green
08-27-2007, 01:49 AM
According to this article (http://www.2007lasvegas.fibaamericas.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fibaAmer/men/scheResu/p/eventid//gamename/10/groupname/B/langid//langlc//playernumber//roundid/5730/teamnumber//zone//fe_scheStat_gameRepo.html), Kobe Bryant's defensive effort was largely responsible for Brazil's Leandro Barbosa being held to four points tonight. The USA has dominated all four opponents so far this tournament.

hurleyfor3
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Former players' names are (should be) reserved for them.

Uh-oh.....

mgtr
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
In my view, Hurleyfor3 is not as egregious as BobbyHurley or even BobbyH would be. I never had even a single thought that you were really Bobby Hurley. We all heard the phrase Hurleyfor3 enough during his wonderful tenure that it should be considered in the public domain!

phaedrus
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Uh-oh.....

you're not bobby hurley?