PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler makes all-rookie 2nd team!

FerryFor50
05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/14/damian-lillard-nba-rookie-team/?sct=hp_t2_a9&eref=sihp

Congrats Kyle!

Billy Dat
05-14-2013, 04:12 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/14/damian-lillard-nba-rookie-team/?sct=hp_t2_a9&eref=sihp

Congrats Kyle!

That is a tremendous accomplishment and a great start to what should be a solid NBA career where he can make $50MM.

doctorhook
05-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Great! More votes than Zeller.

subzero02
05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Congrats!!

InSpades
05-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Not bad for a guy drafted in the 2nd round! Congrats to Kyle. We all knew he'd be a good pro.

SupaDave
05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Not bad for a guy drafted in the 2nd round! Congrats to Kyle. We all knew he'd be a good pro.

Sweet vindication.

weezie
05-16-2013, 09:36 AM
He's the only bright spot on that goofy Pistons team.

Billy Dat
05-16-2013, 10:08 AM
He's the only bright spot on that goofy Pistons team.

I think they've actually got an excellent young core with Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond, Kyle and Brandon Knight. But, they've also got some grossly overpaid vets and a head coaching vacancy. Let's see if Joe Dumars can make some good choices this offseason.

FerryFor50
05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
I think they've actually got an excellent young core with Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond, Kyle and Brandon Knight. But, they've also got some grossly overpaid vets and a head coaching vacancy. Let's see if Joe Dumars can make some good choices this offseason.

Dumars has been swinging and missing a bit since he drafted Darko over Melo...

Billy Dat
05-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Dumars has been swinging and missing a bit since he drafted Darko over Melo...

He's had a really long tenure with the team and actually been allowed to make mistakes. Prior to Darko, he was considered one of the best in the business. Darko, plus the really bad contracts for Villaneuva and Ben Gordon, definitely tarnished him. But, his recent solid draft picks have given him a 3rd act. He's had the job for 13 years, which puts him 3rd behind Geoff Petrie and Pat Riley and tied with Mitch Kupchak (source - http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/10/longest-tenured-gms-in-the-nba.html). He really needs to nail this coaching hire. They've been interviewing a lot of people - Nate McMillan, Brian Shaw, etc.

scottdude8
05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
As a Pistons fan I'm really hoping they give Kyle a whole season at his natural position of SF. People forget he was playing SG for the first half of the season while Tayshaun Prince was still with the team, and was guarding players much faster then him. With the young core of Knight, Drummond and Monroe who can all score and be dominant players, having a glue guy like Kyle in the lineup would be ideal for the Pistons. I'm hoping the Pistons draft either Trey Burke or Victor Oladipo to fill out a nice young starting core with Kyle still at the 3. That's a playoff team next year with the right coach, and a competitive team 2-3 years down the road.

CDu
05-16-2013, 12:39 PM
As a Pistons fan I'm really hoping they give Kyle a whole season at his natural position of SF. People forget he was playing SG for the first half of the season while Tayshaun Prince was still with the team, and was guarding players much faster then him. With the young core of Knight, Drummond and Monroe who can all score and be dominant players, having a glue guy like Kyle in the lineup would be ideal for the Pistons. I'm hoping the Pistons draft either Trey Burke or Victor Oladipo to fill out a nice young starting core with Kyle still at the 3. That's a playoff team next year with the right coach, and a competitive team 2-3 years down the road.

I think that's putting a lot of pressure on the new coach to suggest that the Pistons could be a playoff team next year. I mean, it's possible, but I wouldn't call it likely. I'd expect the top-7 playoff teams to remain playoff teams next year. Milwaukee is a bit more of a question, but I'd expect Philadelphia (Holiday, Thaddeus and Nick Young, Turner, Hawes, and a lottery pick) and Toronto (Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Johnson, Valanciunas, and a lottery pick) to still be better than Detroit.

Don't get me wrong: there is certainly potential with the core of the Pistons, but I think Drummond and Knight have to get much better if they are going to be a competitive team in the NBA.

scottdude8
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
The frustrating thing with the Pistons is they've shown flashes. They started the season 0-8 but then had a couple 3-4 game winning streaks towards the end of the year that actually pushed them out of being a top 5 pick. For whatever reasons (*cough* Rodney Stuckey *cough*) the coach for the last 3-4 years, whoever its been, hasn't been able to control the team and get the respect he needs. With the right coach the talent is there assuming the young guys improve the way they need to.

So in short they could make the playoffs next year, or be one of the worst teams in the league. Its all up in the air. And it's depressing for a team that prided itself on hard work back in the early 2000's to be what they are today, a bunch of young brats who care more about their points then playing as a team and winning games. Hopefully someone will turn that around... I honestly thought Frank was the guy, I'm a big fan of his, but it wasn't to be.

Des Esseintes
05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
The frustrating thing with the Pistons is they've shown flashes. They started the season 0-8 but then had a couple 3-4 game winning streaks towards the end of the year that actually pushed them out of being a top 5 pick. For whatever reasons (*cough* Rodney Stuckey *cough*) the coach for the last 3-4 years, whoever its been, hasn't been able to control the team and get the respect he needs. With the right coach the talent is there assuming the young guys improve the way they need to.

So in short they could make the playoffs next year, or be one of the worst teams in the league. Its all up in the air. And it's depressing for a team that prided itself on hard work back in the early 2000's to be what they are today, a bunch of young brats who care more about their points then playing as a team and winning games. Hopefully someone will turn that around... I honestly thought Frank was the guy, I'm a big fan of his, but it wasn't to be.

Every bad team has flashes. In itself, that doesn't mean much. Recall that the intercoursing Bobcats were about .500 through the first several games this season.

People are right that the talent is there to be a good team in the medium-term. But next year? Next year they're still really young. I don't know what you think a coach can do, but just as a for example, compare Detroit to the exceptionally mediocre Bucks. At what positions does Detroit have an advantage? (Obviously, Milwaukee will look different next season, but they're a decent example of the kind of mediocrity the Pistons must aspire to to reach the playoffs.) Point guard? Jennings is almost certainly better than Knight next year, though Knight has a great chance to be the better player eventually. The 2? Ellis, flawed and selfish and stupid though he be, is still better than Stuckey. SF? Dunleavy is better than Kyle. PF? Even here, where you'd think the Pistons are strongest with Monroe, Ilyasova is pretty competitive. Monroe is better but not light-years better. And at center? I'll take Drummond long-term, but Larry Sanders is a fantastic defensive force right now and right now the superior player. Milwaukee might take a step back next season, but the point is that Detroit would have to make serious strides on a myriad of fronts just to overcome what was basically a spray of red mist settling on the road in the wake of the Miami Hummer-Rolls-Royce of Death's path through the first round.

CDu
05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Every bad team has flashes. In itself, that doesn't mean much. Recall that the intercoursing Bobcats were about .500 through the first several games this season.

People are right that the talent is there to be a good team in the medium-term. But next year? Next year they're still really young. I don't know what you think a coach can do, but just as a for example, compare Detroit to the exceptionally mediocre Bucks. At what positions does Detroit have an advantage? (Obviously, Milwaukee will look different next season, but they're a decent example of the kind of mediocrity the Pistons must aspire to to reach the playoffs.) Point guard? Jennings is almost certainly better than Knight next year, though Knight has a great chance to be the better player eventually. The 2? Ellis, flawed and selfish and stupid though he be, is still better than Stuckey. SF? Dunleavy is better than Kyle. PF? Even here, where you'd think the Pistons are strongest with Monroe, Ilyasova is pretty competitive. Monroe is better but not light-years better. And at center? I'll take Drummond long-term, but Larry Sanders is a fantastic defensive force right now and right now the superior player. Milwaukee might take a step back next season, but the point is that Detroit would have to make serious strides on a myriad of fronts just to overcome what was basically a spray of red mist settling on the road in the wake of the Miami Hummer-Rolls-Royce of Death's path through the first round.

Agreed. And even then, you have to consider that both Philadelphia and Toronto (both of whom have young, developing talent) may also get better. So even catching up to Milwaukee might not be enough to get the #8 seed (and catching up to Milwaukee is far from a given).