PDA

View Full Version : Nike EYBL Session #3 (Dallas, TX)

licc85
05-13-2013, 01:30 AM
Friday Recap: http://hoopniks.com/nike-eybl-dallas-friday-recap/
Saturday Recap: http://hoopniks.com/nike-eybl-dallas-saturday-recap/

Box Scores from every game: http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/eybl-session-3-dallas-tx2k1/

I dug up some info on the guys we are recruiting:

Grayson Allen:
Seems like our boy Grayson just needed a change of scenery. He jumped from the Southern Stampede squad over to Each 1 Teach 1, (Austin Rivers' AAU team if I remember correctly) and played very well all weekend. On the first night, he went bonkers and dropped 30 points in just 18 minutes, including 10 of 15 from the floor, 4 of 6 from three, and 6-7 from the foul line. He also reportedly played great defense. Second night, he continued his hot shooting and scored 17 points on 6-8 shooting in his first game, then had 11 points on 3-4 shooting in the second game. Over 4 games, Grayson shot a scorching 68%, and 73% from distance!!!! I guess any doubts we had about him from his lackluster performance at the LA session turned out to be unfounded. This guy can play. He was one of the most impressive players at the entire event. Seems like he's 100% back from that ankle injury.

Tyus Jones:
Tyus has been pretty much carrying his team through the EYBL season. He had a ridiculous Friday night, putting up 27 points, 7 assists, and 6 steals on a perfect 11 for 11 shooting performance in a win over CIA Bounce. On Sunday, Tyus had 32 pts, 4 ast, and 2 steals in a 4 point loss to the Southern Stampede. For the weekend, the kid had 102 points on 63% shooting, 50% from 3 and 92% from the foul stripe. I think it's fair to say he's pretty good.

Jahlil Okafor: In his first major AAU event coming back from injury, Jahlil scored 17.3 PPG on 74% shooting and pulled down 11.5 RPG. He seemed a little rusty (yet still shot 74%??) to the observers who blogged about him, but they said he still showed plenty of the quickness and skills that have boosted him to the top of the player rankings. He had his biggest game against his buddy Tyus Jones, posting 24 and 10 in a huge win over Howard Pulley.

Grayson Allen: 18.3PPG, 68% FG, 73% 3FG, 87% FT, 3.5 RPG, 3.0 APG, 6.0 A:TO, 1.3 SPG

Jahlil Okafor: 17.3 PPG, 74% FG, 52% FT, 11.5 RPG, 2.5 APG.

Tyus Jones: 25.5 PPG, 63% FG, 50% 3FG, 92% FT, 5 APG, 3.3 SPG.

Devin Booker: 19.5 PPG, 43% FG, 30% 3FG, 73% FT, 4.8 RPG

Justise Winslow: 12.8 PPG, 59% FG, 40% 3FG, 7.3 RPG, 4.5 APG, 2.0 SPG.

Stanley Johnson: 19.3 PPG, 52% FG, 29% 3FG, 51% FT, 8.0 RPG, 1.0 SPG.

Theo Pinson: 15.0 PPG, 56% FG, 60% 3FG, 79% FT, 4.6 RPG, 2.0 APG, 1.0 SPG.

Trey Lyles: 11.5 PPG, 46% FG, 80% FT, 6.5 RPG

Seems like the guys we are recruiting the hardest all played well. I would definitely say Grayson, Tyus, and Jahlil had the best performances of the guys on our radar, although Theo Pinson played extremely well. It seems like he has improved his long range jump shot (he went 3-5 from three), which was one of the things biggest critiques on his game. Then again, pretty much everyone shot the ball incredibly well. Just look at those shooting percentages . . . they play defense in AAU ball, right? Anyway, I'm pretty excited to see how the 2014 recruiting class shapes up, especially now that I'm sold on Grayson Allen.

niveklaen
05-13-2013, 03:21 AM
I wondered what sort of impact the bemoaned lack of defense at these tourneys might have on field goal percentages, because all our potential recruits seemed to shoot well above 50% from the field...

I did not see tourney wide stats on the web site so I added up the field goal percentages of the first 5 games listed and it averaged out to 46% shooting - if AAU ball plays zero defense it certainly does not show up in the field goal percentages.

(Maybe I picked games with unusually bad shooting, but to lazy to do more math...)

johnb
05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
I wondered what sort of impact the bemoaned lack of defense at these tourneys might have on field goal percentages, because all our potential recruits seemed to shoot well above 50% from the field...

I did not see tourney wide stats on the web site so I added up the field goal percentages of the first 5 games listed and it averaged out to 46% shooting - if AAU ball plays zero defense it certainly does not show up in the field goal percentages.

(Maybe I picked games with unusually bad shooting, but to lazy to do more math...)

Sometimes "bad defense" occurs when one player is just a lot better than the guy who is trying to guard him. it's a little like the old days watching duke football playing defense. we seemed to get called for a lot of penalties, which seemed not to reflect inattention or poor effort but rather the reality that we were outgunned.

licc85
05-14-2013, 04:54 AM
Sometimes "bad defense" occurs when one player is just a lot better than the guy who is trying to guard him. it's a little like the old days watching duke football playing defense. we seemed to get called for a lot of penalties, which seemed not to reflect inattention or poor effort but rather the reality that we were outgunned.

Well, at events like this, it's all the best high school players in the country, so it's hard to say that anybody but the very top guys are that much better than anyone guarding them. I think we're just involved with really talented guys. Grayson shooting a ridiculous percentage from the perimeter might be a case of his defender just not respecting his shot enough, but Tyus shooting 60%+ with the amount of ball handling he is doing is just really impressive.

One other mildly interesting tidbit I picked up about Tyus Jones: He was outplayed by UNC recruit Joel Berry in his game against Berry's team (Also Grayson's Team), E1T1. Jones was picked twice by Berry in the game. Let's hope Tyus takes it personally and commits to Duke to get revenge :D