PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Upset Alert

burnspbesq
05-11-2013, 05:52 PM
HT: Detroit 5, Notre Dame 1.

Game is on ESPNU

DukieInKansas
05-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Goal 7 for Detroit was a thing of beauty.

burnspbesq
05-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Alas, number 7 was the Titans' last goal. ND got six unanswered in the fourth quarter to win 9-7.

MCFinARL
05-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Alas, number 7 was the Titans' last goal. ND got six unanswered in the fourth quarter to win 9-7.

Too bad. Detroit looked terrific--until they didn't. Interesting that the Yale victory over Penn State followed a similar path--Penn State had a 5-1 lead at the half and Yale ended up winning 10-7.

burnspbesq
05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Now the game we've been waiting for all day: Denver vs. Albany

MCFinARL
05-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Now the game we've been waiting for all day: Denver vs. Albany

At 19-14 Denver, they beat the over-under, which was 30.5.

Here is a Turtle
05-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Cornell destroys Maryland 16-8. The decades of underachieving in Maryland men's lacrosse continues.

MCFinARL
05-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Cornell destroys Maryland 16-8. The decades of underachieving in Maryland men's lacrosse continues.

Well, if you are looking at the long term, okay, but Maryland was in the national final game the last two years--not exactly underachieving.

Here is a Turtle
05-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Well, if you are looking at the long term, okay, but Maryland was in the national final game the last two years--not exactly underachieving.

Maybe I am being a little hard, but Maryland has not won a national championship since 1975. Yes, Maryland has the longest tournament streak with Hopkins out now, but a program as high up as Maryland should have won several since then. It doesn't help that the two losses were against Virginia and Loyola (a fan base I absolutely loathe), two local programs. This team was ranked number 1 and since the Hopkins game (maybe a little before) the team has fallen apart. Did we get a bad draw against Cornell? Sure, but we were at home and should have taken care of business.

It was a senior laden group that everyone expected to win the championship from day 1. Next year will be a rebuilding year so next year probably won't be the year either. I have confidence that John Tillman will get us there eventually and he was probably the best hire between basketball, football, and lacrosse since the new AD came in. But this year was probably the best team on paper Maryland had in years. Just frustrating.

I am looking at this as long term though. The seniors leaving have two national title appearances to their name. That's excellent. Just wish it was a third.

MCFinARL
05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Maybe I am being a little hard, but Maryland has not won a national championship since 1975. Yes, Maryland has the longest tournament streak with Hopkins out now, but a program as high up as Maryland should have won several since then. It doesn't help that the two losses were against Virginia and Loyola (a fan base I absolutely loathe), two local programs. This team was ranked number 1 and since the Hopkins game (maybe a little before) the team has fallen apart. Did we get a bad draw against Cornell? Sure, but we were at home and should have taken care of business.

It was a senior laden group that everyone expected to win the championship from day 1. Next year will be a rebuilding year so next year probably won't be the year either. I have confidence that John Tillman will get us there eventually and he was probably the best hire between basketball, football, and lacrosse since the new AD came in. But this year was probably the best team on paper Maryland had in years. Just frustrating.

I am looking at this as long term though. The seniors leaving have two national title appearances to their name. That's excellent. Just wish it was a third.

Well, yes, I agree with you that this year's disintegration was a bit inexplicable. And I'm sympathetic, given Maryland's proud tradition and how long it has been since the last championship. Since I became a Duke lax fan (after my children went to Duke in the 2000's--for reasons I can't easily explain I had already been a Duke basketball fan for over 20 years, but the allegiance didn't extend to other sports until I had a direct link to Duke) I no longer cheer for Maryland against most opponents (their ability to beat Duke is just too irritating), but back in the '70's I used to go out to College Park and cheer them on against the likes of Princeton and 'Cuse.

I just meant to suggest that Maryland lax has a lot to be proud of the last couple of years, if not this year.

Here is a Turtle
05-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Fair enough. They should be proud. I just can't overlook that it could have been more. 2-11 in championship games will wear on any program.