PDA

View Full Version : Joy Cheek Leaving?

DU82
05-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Over on another board, it was noted that Joy is no longer listed on the WBB page, nor in the staff directory. It appears she's changed her twitter name from CoachJoyGoDuke to just CoachJoy21.

Anybody have more information?

wandalee
05-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Per today's Durham HeraldSun, Joy has joined the staff at Ohio State. No word on who will replace her.

loran16
05-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Per today's Durham HeraldSun, Joy has joined the staff at Ohio State. No word on who will replace her.

I don't know how this works in Women's ball - is that a better job? A better paying job?

Why move from assistant to assistant?

OZZIE4DUKE
05-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Good luck to Joy, but we'll miss her, both personally and as a recruiter. It was a kick when she'd stroll by our tent in Blue Devil Alley with recruits before football games. :cool:

Class of '94
05-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Good luck to Joy, but we'll miss her, both personally and as a recruiter. It was a kick when she'd stroll by our tent in Blue Devil Alley with recruits before football games. :cool:

I'm not trying to speculate but it sounds strange for her to make a lateral move unless it was for more money. I'm hoping she made the move because it give her greater responsibilities in order to better position her to be a HC someday soon. Still, I would've preferred Duke doing everything they could to keep her in the fold; and it will be weird to see Ohio St with another former Duke player on the coaching/administrative staff of one of its basketball teams.

is this an indicator that Coach P may be hard to work for? The bigger question for me is will this hurt our recruiting. As noted by Ozzie, Joy appeared to seamlessly fill the recruiting void left by our former top recrutiter that left to join Carolina's staff. Does anyone know who fills the void left by Joy in coaching and recruiting?

BigWayne
05-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Not in their online version that I can see, but Cheek is twittering on it.

Joy Cheek ‏@CoachJoy21 15h

I've thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Duke and now I'm looking forward to joining the Buckeyes! Heard Columbus loves its Buckeyes!

chrishoke
05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Do we know that it is a lateral move?

MCFinARL
05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Not in their online version that I can see, but Cheek is twittering on it.

Joy Cheek ‏@CoachJoy21 15h

I've thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Duke and now I'm looking forward to joining the Buckeyes! Heard Columbus loves its Buckeyes!

Also, based on reviewing her recent tweets, she attended a conference or workshop for assistant coaches last week and specifically thanked Coach P for the opportunity--so it doesn't sound like there are hard feelings either way, whatever the cause of the move.

BigWayne
05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Do we know that it is a lateral move?
Ohio State fired their hall of fame coach and hired McGuff who had been at Washington
two years after 9 at Xavier. So he is building a new staff and presumably Cheek
could have a bigger role with him than what she was doing at Duke. Nothing specific announced yet.

miramar
05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
The bigger question for me is will this hurt our recruiting. As noted by Ozzie, Joy appeared to seamlessly fill the recruiting void left by our former top recrutiter that left to join Carolina's staff. Does anyone know who fills the void left by Joy in coaching and recruiting?

We'll miss Joy, but WBB still has Candice Jackson, the other recruiting coordinator, so recruiting shouldn't be a problem. WBB already has one top-ranked recruit for 2014 (Azura Stevens, a 6-5 C out of Cary who is ranked #28 by ESPN), so I'm sure Duke will continue to get top players.

Both Duke and UNC have outstanding recruiting classes coming in, so there seems to be enough talent to go around.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/150/class/2013/duke

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/153/class/2013/north-carolina

Mike Corey
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
For fear of fanning flames, it is at least notable that this is the fourth assistant coach under Coach P to leave for another assistant coaching job.

BigWayne
05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
For fear of fanning flames, it is at least notable that this is the fourth assistant coach under Coach P to leave for another assistant coaching job.

Out of 7 years at MSU, 6 of her Asst Coaches ended up getting head coach jobs somewhere. May be part of her approach to help get people trained and move them on.

Mike Corey
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
At MSU:

3 assistants left to become assistants (Kentucky; Missouri State; West Virginia)
3 assistants left to become head coaches (Missouri State; Hofstra; Skidmore)
1 assistant did not accompany her to Duke and became the head coach at...Eastern M*chigan.

miramar
05-14-2013, 09:18 AM

I have no idea why it's happening, but they seem to be making lateral moves:

Joy Cheek, assistant at Ohio State
Trisha Stafford-Odom, assistant at UNC
Samantha Williams, assistant at Louisville
Shannon Perry, assistant at UCLA

I'm not sure if this is a complete list.

Class of '94
05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
I have no idea why it's happening, but they seem to be making lateral moves:

Joy Cheek, assistant at Ohio State
Trisha Stafford-Odom, assistant at UNC
Samantha Williams, assistant at Louisville
Shannon Perry, assistant at UCLA

I'm not sure if this is a complete list.

My slight concern is that the last two Duke assistants under Coach P that left for lateral moves appeared to be good recruiters; something that I thought wasn't necessarily a strength of Coach P.

I know we have good classes coming in for the next year or two; but will it continue if Duke and Coach P let our best recruiters go elsewhere?

Jim3k
05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
It's all well and fine to speculate (at least slightly) why assistants leave on a lateral basis.

But...keep in mind that the most important factor is one about which we generally know nothing...salary. If Joy was offered the same job for a significant raise...why wouldn't she take it? In fact, Coach P might well have encouraged it and recommended her to the hiring school. There is a meat market out there that has a lot of talent just waiting to be bought.

On the men's side, in my own family, that very thing just occurred. While my relative went from one D-1 school to another, the salary was significantly more (from a low level conference to a mid-level conference) and his HC told him it was a great opportunity. And it is.

I'm betting something similar happened with Joy. But, of course, we don't know for sure.

Still, unless we know some actual facts, I think we should drop the negative inferences. Joy is a young coach who was earning a young person's salary at Duke. She, like everyone that age, wants to earn more. What's more likely? An unknown issue with P or a much better salary elsewhere? To me, the most likely answer is obvious.

Turtleboy
05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Still, unless we know some actual facts, I think we should drop the negative inferences. Joy is a young coach who was earning a young person's salary at Duke. She, like everyone that age, wants to earn more. What's more likely? An unknown issue with P or a much better salary elsewhere? To me, the most likely answer is obvious.
If you are right then the same logic applies to the others as well, and we are left to speculate why two state universities and the U of L are able to pay more in salary than Duke is.

More speculation : Would Greg Paulus take a pay cut to move from 0hio State to Duke?

Duvall
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
If you are right then the same logic applies to the others as well, and we are left to speculate why two state universities and the U of L are able to pay more in salary than Duke is.

Pretty sure that Ohio State and Louisville have more money to work with than Duke, though we have no information that indicates that money was a factor here.

Turtleboy
05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Pretty sure that Ohio State and Louisville have more money to work with than Duke, though we have no information that indicates that money was a factor here.Interesting. I would not have thought that to be the case, but frankly I have no knowledge it.

I was only referring to money as a factor since it had been stated as a premise. Hence my use of "if".

MCFinARL
05-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Per the story linked on the front page today, Joy Cheek will be the recruiting coordinator at Ohio State. I'm pretty sure this title represents a promotion for Joy, who worked on recruiting at Duke but was not, if I'm not mistaken, the head recruiter. So it's at least reasonable to assume she left because she had an opportunity to advance and not because she was unhappy at Duke.

Congratulations to Joy. I wish her the very best (as long as she doesn't manage to convince any potential Duke recruits to go to OSU), and I hope Coach P will be able to find a replacement who will be at least close to as effective as Joy.

devildeac
05-21-2013, 06:51 PM
And, in a semi-related note, I just saw in the Raleigh N&O today that former Duke assistant coach/recruiter, Trisha Stafford-Odom, is leaving her spot on the baby blues' bench and becoming a HC at Concordia University Irvine. Moving on up!:cool:

wildcatbooster
05-21-2013, 07:22 PM
For the benefit of a Concordia fan, does anybody have any insight into what kind of a coach and person Trisha is? What should we expect as fans and what should the players expect? Intense? Fun? A "player's coach"? Good with X's and O's? It is clear that she is a great recruiter, but that was at UCLA, Duke and UNC. Does she sell the school or herself? It appears that she left Duke rather abruptly, and to your rival, so there may be some bad blood there, but I appreciate any insights. Thanks.

hughgs
05-21-2013, 10:02 PM
And, in a semi-related note, I just saw in the Raleigh N&O today that former Duke assistant coach/recruiter, Trisha Stafford-Odom, is leaving her spot on the baby blues' bench and becoming a HC at Concordia University Irvine. Moving on up!:cool:

I think "moving up" is open to debate. Concordia is an NAIA school.

devildeac
05-21-2013, 10:44 PM
I think "moving up" is open to debate. Concordia is an NAIA school.

Yea, I don't know what the proper answer/response is here. She will be a HC but your point is well taken.

BigWayne
05-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Yea, I don't know what the proper answer/response is here. She will be a HC but your point is well taken.

from linkedin....

Dewayne Odom

District Sales Manager at American Honda Motor Company

Greater Los Angeles Area
Automotive

Education

University of California, Berkeley

Pretty sure that's the husband. May be a factor.

miramar
05-22-2013, 09:47 PM
For the benefit of a Concordia fan, does anybody have any insight into what kind of a coach and person Trisha is? What should we expect as fans and what should the players expect? Intense? Fun? A "player's coach"? Good with X's and O's? It is clear that she is a great recruiter, but that was at UCLA, Duke and UNC. Does she sell the school or herself? It appears that she left Duke rather abruptly, and to your rival, so there may be some bad blood there, but I appreciate any insights. Thanks.

Stafford-odom has been a long-time assistant with established coaches, so I don't think she has had the opportunity to show her own style. She has been a very strong recruiter wherever she has been, so that should not change even at a smaller school. She played at Cal and coached at UCLA, so she should know California recruiting well and that should carry over at Concordia.

The Duke to Carolina move was bizarre, so who knows what was behind that change. It's a free country and all that, but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who has made that kind of move.

CameronBornAndBred
05-23-2013, 06:52 AM
The Duke to Carolina move was bizarre, so who knows what was behind that change. It's a free country and all that, but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who has made that kind of move.
I'm guessing that Coach P wasn't listed amongst her references on her resume. (Although I would love to hear what P might say if called.)
As a Duke fan, I loved it when Coach P hired her, and it was great timing. Lots of people were questioning McCallie's commitment to recruiting and the ability to bring in the big names like we were used to in G's day, and Stafford-Odom ensured that we would. The team is still benefitting from her, even though she has not been on our bench in over 2 years. She obviously has been surrounded by the game her whole life, and has been in coaching for all of her career. I wish her the best. That being said, I won't follow her too closely. She was on the Duke bench for a brief time, and beyond her stint has no ties to the school, so there isn't much to keep my interest. And her jumping ship to Chapel Hill pretty much sealed my "I don't care" attitude.

killerleft
05-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Stafford-Odom's choice of UNC was certainly strange. Duke fans especially, but probably anybody, would think that the move was calculated to get back at Duke, McCallie, or both. I guess we'll never know. This latest move reinforces what is only my intuition that Duke wasn't really the problem.

Indoor66
05-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Stafford-Odom's choice of UNC was certainly strange. Duke fans especially, but probably anybody, would think that the move was calculated to get back at Duke, McCallie, or both. I guess we'll never know. This latest move reinforces what is only my intuition that Duke wasn't really the problem.

I think you have to be a little paranoid to think that anyone who leaves is motivated to "get back at" Duke or someone at Duke. People have lives, wants and desires that change over time - whether a short time or long time. It is much easier to live life without speculating toward negative motives for any actions. Maybe she is still "finding herself" or maybe she feels her moves are the best thing for her at this point in her life - unrelated to anything particularly ascribed to anything at Duke.

Dukehky
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Coach Trish got paid a lot of money to be at Carolina for that two years. She also didn't choose to leave Carolina this year, her contract wasn't renewed. Pretty much it seemed like Sylvia wanted to hire her as a mercenary. Trish did get UNC a few phenomenal players this year.

As for Joy leaving, it had nothing to do with being unhappy or anybody being unhappy with her, she wanted a change of scenery. She's spent her whole basketball career except for a year or two in the WNBA at Duke and she wanted to go somewhere else to explore.

Fun Facts from old DWB players.

CameronBornAndBred
05-23-2013, 01:18 PM
As for Joy leaving, it had nothing to do with being unhappy or anybody being unhappy with her, she wanted a change of scenery. She's spent her whole basketball career except for a year or two in the WNBA at Duke and she wanted to go somewhere else to explore.
That doesn't surprise me a bit. My dad spent his whole career at Duke from undergrad to "retirement" (which consists of still working on campus a lot), but how many people do that, or want to do that? I'd love to see Joy back on our bench one day in a new role, but until then it makes tons of sense for her to spread her wings.

Turtleboy
05-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Coach Trish got paid a lot of money to be at Carolina for that two years. She also didn't choose to leave Carolina this year, her contract wasn't renewed. Pretty much it seemed like Sylvia wanted to hire her as a mercenary. Trish did get UNC a few phenomenal players this year.Why was she let go?

killerleft
05-24-2013, 11:38 AM
I think you have to be a little paranoid to think that anyone who leaves is motivated to "get back at" Duke or someone at Duke. People have lives, wants and desires that change over time - whether a short time or long time. It is much easier to live life without speculating toward negative motives for any actions. Maybe she is still "finding herself" or maybe she feels her moves are the best thing for her at this point in her life - unrelated to anything particularly ascribed to anything at Duke.

You are probably right, Indoor. But Stafford-Odom could have written herself a big check at a lot of schools after the stellar recruiting she'd done at Duke. If it's true that she wasn't wanted back at UNC after the job she's done for them, that's pretty strange in and of itself. Now that she's ended up at an NAIA school, even if her husband isn't too far away from her there, it just makes me wonder if she might burn bridges or develop issues with bosses.

Paranoia - it's that one time it isn't that makes it all worthwhile.:o:)

brevity
05-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Why was she let go?

You do NOT make fun of Sylvia Hatchell's wardrobe. Trisha Stafford-Odom learned that the hard way.

BD80
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
You do NOT make fun of Sylvia Hatchell's wardrobe. Trisha Stafford-Odom learned that the hard way.

Talk about a hostile work environment!

To suffer that wardrobe in silence? INCONCEIVABLE!

jv001
05-24-2013, 02:50 PM

Made me think about our First Ladies wardrobe. Whew! ;)

Kedsy
05-24-2013, 03:06 PM

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Turtleboy
05-25-2013, 04:35 PM

If there isn't Global Restraining Order keeping her and Craig Sager at least 1,000 miles apart someone needs to draft one STAT.