PDA

View Full Version : Coach K at Fort Lewis, WA

DukeWarhead
05-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Just came from seeing Coach K talk to a theater packed with soldiers from Fort Lewis. For me, it was the first chance I have had to see coach in person other than courtside. He delivered what was perhaps the best talk on the subject of leadership that I have heard, and I've heard far too many. Not suprisingly, he was engaging and dynamic - he had the audience in the palm of his hand from the beginning. I was somewhat suprized at how truly funny he is. Not just clever, but genuinely funny. The bulk of his talk centered on his efforts to inspire - not motivate - but inspire. Most was in reference to Team USA, but a bit with Duke. He didn't talk about the Xs and Os of coaching, but the emotional aspects of it. He told some great personal stories and shared his views on how to make a team work as one and find the ever-important inspiration necessary to win. Not one second of his talk seemed rehearsed or contrived - even though I'm sure he's delivered the same message thousands of times.
Coach graciously hung around to shake hands and take pictures with hundreds of soldiers. It was true rockstar status. Everybody wanted to shake his hand. The second before he turned to me, I realized I didn't know what to say. I mean, what do you say to Coach K in five seconds when you've been a Duke basketball fanatic for 20+ years? I introduced myself as a Duke alum and lifelong fan and before I could thank him for everything, he beat me to it - thanking me for serving and supporting the team. A few more words and I moved on, glad that I was able to finally meet him.
What I knew before - what we all know - was even more evident to me when I walked out of the theater: Coach K is much more than just a great basketball coach - so much more. Obviously, that's preaching to the choir here, but felt compelled to share. I'm not one for hero-worship or putting folks up on a pedestal, but Coach deserves all the accolades he gets and more. He's the best.

Indoor66
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Just came from seeing Coach K talk to a theater packed with soldiers from Fort Lewis. For me, it was the first chance I have had to see coach in person other than courtside. He delivered what was perhaps the best talk on the subject of leadership that I have heard, and I've heard far too many. Not suprisingly, he was engaging and dynamic - he had the audience in the palm of his hand from the beginning. I was somewhat suprized at how truly funny he is. Not just clever, but genuinely funny. The bulk of his talk centered on his efforts to inspire - not motivate - but inspire. Most was in reference to Team USA, but a bit with Duke. He didn't talk about the Xs and Os of coaching, but the emotional aspects of it. He told some great personal stories and shared his views on how to make a team work as one and find the ever-important inspiration necessary to win. Not one second of his talk seemed rehearsed or contrived - even though I'm sure he's delivered the same message thousands of times.
Coach graciously hung around to shake hands and take pictures with hundreds of soldiers. It was true rockstar status. Everybody wanted to shake his hand. The second before he turned to me, I realized I didn't know what to say. I mean, what do you say to Coach K in five seconds when you've been a Duke basketball fanatic for 20+ years? I introduced myself as a Duke alum and lifelong fan and before I could thank him for everything, he beat me to it - thanking me for serving and supporting the team. A few more words and I moved on, glad that I was able to finally meet him.
What I knew before - what we all know - was even more evident to me when I walked out of the theater: Coach K is much more than just a great basketball coach - so much more. Obviously, that's preaching to the choir here, but felt compelled to share. I'm not one for hero-worship or putting folks up on a pedestal, but Coach deserves all the accolades he gets and more. He's the best.

Thanks for posting. I think we are all better for having followed and been around him - in whatever manner.

nmduke2001
05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I haven't watched it all yet, but I think this is the speech in its entirety
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/duke-s-coach-k-talks-team-building-with-joint-base-lewis-mcchord-troops-1.220385

BismarckDuke
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
This does not surprise me at all. I follow Duke because of Coach K and not the other way around.

I have read his books and heard several of his speahes, taped. I really like his philosophy about bringing in boys and them leaving men. He isn't worried about them leaving NBA players but men. We hear from past players talk about how he emphasises responsibilty to them from day one. The man is all about leadership.

A great example of his leadership was this past post season, sitting with Seth, he was asked about going back to the final four for his, I think, 13th time and he said it wasn't about him going back for the 13th time but about getting Seth to his first final four. A leader doesn't complain or make excuses about how his team was full of injuries and how that created a problem and probably kept them from a final four this year. Instead he talks about how great it was to coach Mason, Kelly, Seth and the rest of the team.

I think of no better example of his leadership than what he did with the Olympic team. He had the best players of all time and he was able to get them to play together, as a team. I will be interested to see if the next coach comes close to what he accomplished with them.

weezie
05-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah, you won't catch K getting a tattoo or endorsing a limited edition of Maker's Mark.

Good lord....

Edouble
05-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Yeah, you won't catch K getting a tattoo or endorsing a limited edition of Maker's Mark.

Good lord....

That's because Coach K likes red wine.

-bdbd
05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/...y-2011/2156231/

USA Today says K made about $9.7M in 2011.

Personally I don't have any issue with it. What is it worth, after all, to have THE GOAT???!

Interesting data points that thew next few are Calimari (around $5.4) and Self and Pitino at around $5M. In Football it tops out with Saban (AL) and Mack Brown (TX) around $5.5M. Of course I assume none of this includes independent income, such as shoe deals, endorsements and speaking engagements, etc.

Mods, if this belongs on its own thread please feel free to move it. I just didn't want to "make a big thing" out of it...

Bluedog
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/...y-2011/2156231/

USA Today says K made about $9.7M in 2011.

Personally I don't have any issue with it. What is it worth, after all, to have THE GOAT???!

Interesting data points that thew next few are Calimari (around $5.4) and Self and Pitino at around $5M. In Football it tops out with Saban (AL) and Mack Brown (TX) around $5.5M. Of course I assume none of this includes independent income, such as shoe deals, endorsements and speaking engagements, etc.

Mods, if this belongs on its own thread please feel free to move it. I just didn't want to "make a big thing" out of it...

Thanks for the post, but that link seems to be off. Here's one that works: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/05/15/mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-duke-salary-pay-2011/2156231/ Yeah, it seems that it doesn't include endorsements since it's based on the university's tax filings. That's certainly more than I thought, but I can't say he's not worth it. It's interesting that he was paid not much more than $1-2M for years and years, and then over the past five years, his pay has increased significantly. I suppose it has to do with a variety of factors, including the Lakers trying to grab him with a lucrative offer, collegiate coaches' pay across the country increasing in general, and simply his additional legacy and loyalty to the university he has demonstrated over the years (and a fourth national championship in 2010 doesn't hurt!).

-jk
05-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Maybe he got a bonus for the 2010 championship in 2011?

-jk

-bdbd
05-16-2013, 07:26 PM
A famous commentator - it may have been Larry King - was fond of saying "We're all paid what we're worth." Market forces determine pay. If you aren't making what you think you are worth, then go work somewhere else. If the employer is paying you more than what he thinks you deserve, then they can try to reduce your pay or let you go. The market works well like that over time.

:)

wncgrad
05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
A famous commentator - it may have been Larry King - was fond of saying "We're all paid what we're worth." Market forces determine pay. If you aren't making what you think you are worth, then go work somewhere else. If the employer is paying you more than what he thinks you deserve, then they can try to reduce your pay or let you go. The market works well like that over time.

:)

I know about market forces, benefit to the institution, entertainment value etc. etc. etc. and I have nothing new to add to the argument except to repeat that as an educator and one formally part of the public school system I believe professional athletes and others in the athletic industry are paid way out of proporation to their value to society. And that goes for private higher education too. And also division one athletics which has been hijacked by the entertainment industry.
I enjoy sports as much as anybody and will always support by alma mater but I wonder about where schools the size of Wake Forest and Duke and with like history will be in the grand scheme of things twenty years from now. Private schools can not continue to raise the kind of money required to compete in big time athletics without intruding upon their primary educational purpose. I wonder where the tipping point will be.