PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Blair Holliday

chalz
05-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I am bemused by the fact that media in North Carolina still refer to a 20-year-old woman who is graduating from nursing school as "girl" in the article's headline ("Duke football player honors girl who saved his life").

Turtleboy
05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I am bemused by the fact that media in North Carolina still refer to a 20-year-old woman who is graduating from nursing school as "girl" in the article's headline ("Duke football player honors girl who saved his life").Well, one newspaper did. I'm not sure that justifies the leap to "media in North Carolina."

chalz
05-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Well, one newspaper did. I'm not sure that justifies the leap to "media in North Carolina."

Point taken. I did not intend to paint with a broad brush. But it appears that WTVD (or at least one headline writer) hasn't made it to the 21st century just yet.

Turtleboy
05-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Point taken. I did not intend to paint with a broad brush. But it appears that WTVD (or at least one headline writer) hasn't made it to the 21st century just yet.Yes, absolutely. It would be unthinkable for a 20 year old male to be referred to as a boy. Heck, I had a brief moment of notoriety in 1971, when I was 18, and the paper called me a man. I was right proud.