PDA

View Full Version : Report: Duke to play Michigan in Cameron for Big 10/ACC

scottdude8
05-08-2013, 12:46 PM
As a Duke grad who grew up a Michigan fan now getting his PhD in Ann Arbor, this is my worst nightmare... the only possible way I could root against Spike Albrecht. And it couldn't even be in Ann Arbor so I could see my boys play in person for the first time in a year?

But in Cameron I don't see us losing this game. It'll be a huge non-conference win if we can pick it up.

http://www.umhoops.com/2013/05/08/report-michigan-to-play-at-duke-in-big-ten-acc-challenge/

subzero02
05-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I am surprised we aren't playing on the road since we played tOSU in Cameron last year...

scottdude8
05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't thing there's as much emphasis on the pattern as you'd think. Remember we played Purdue and Wisconsin on the road in back to back years starting in '08 (my freshman year).

Duvall
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't thing there's as much emphasis on the pattern as you'd think. Remember we played Purdue and Wisconsin on the road in back to back years starting in '08 (my freshman year).

No, that was @Purdue (2007-2008), Wisconsin (2008-2009), @Wisconsin (2009-2010).

UrinalCake
05-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Great chance to make a statement against a probable top-10 opponent. Would love to stick it to McGary and reduce him to screening and rebounding.

scottdude8
05-08-2013, 01:13 PM
No, that was @Purdue (2007-2008), Wisconsin (2008-2009), @Wisconsin (2009-2010).

Sorry, that's false. Go check goduke.com. It was @Purdue in 2008, @Wisconsin in 2009.

UrinalCake
05-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Sorry, that's false. Go check goduke.com. It was @Purdue in 2008, @Wisconsin in 2009.

Either way, there's no way for every team to exactly alternate between home and away games in the ACC/Big ten challenge, since the pairings change every year.

Also, if my memory is correct, wasn't Michigan the team that broke Duke's home non-conference winning streak in 1995 or 1996, when it had gotten up to like 100 games? Or maybe it was Illinois? Our current streak is pretty high and I'd like to keep it going.

scottdude8
05-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Either way, there's no way for every team to exactly alternate between home and away games in the ACC/Big ten challenge, since the pairings change every year.

Yup, my point exactly.

devildeac
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Can't wait to get the terps on the schedule for the ACC/Big 10/11/12 challenge some day:rolleyes:. Oh, wait a minute...

Back on topic, can't wait to see the Duke/Michigan (or, the proper spelling for Mr. Corey, M*chigan;)) game in the fall.

Olympic Fan
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
The ACC site just posted the official ACC/Big Ten matchups:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050813aab.html

As noted on this thread, Duke gets a home game with Michigan and UNC goes to Michigan State.

I don't understand why it's not the other way around, but there it is.

Mike Corey
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Can't wait to get the terps on the schedule for the ACC/Big 10/11/12 challenge some day:rolleyes:. Oh, wait a minute...

Back on topic, can't wait to see the Duke/Michigan (or, the proper spelling for Mr. Corey, M*chigan;)) game in the fall.

This is why we're friends. Good lookin' out, sir.

This will be a shellacking for the ages. Good versus evil. Blue and White versus Blue and Blech. Good looking uniforms versus fell-out-of-the-ugly-tree-and-hit-every-highlighter-on-the-way-down-uniforms. Program with tradition versus program that had tradition once but had to remove the banner memorializing the tradition because it cost too much to get that tradition in a hurry.

No disrespect, of course. I'm sure M*chigan is a fine place with some fine people. Heck, Mama Corey went to M*chigan for graduate school, before thinking better of it of course and moving to Columbus.

I suspect Duke will win 120-7. Or thereabouts. Depending on if Jabari plays well or not. Hey, it could happen. Loyola Marymount averaged that much in the early 1990s.

Ah, M*chigan. Some cause happiness wherever they go; M*chigan, whenever it goes.

Kedsy
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Ah, M*chigan. Some cause happiness wherever they go; M*chigan, whenever it goes.

Ah, DBR. On how many other college basketball boards do they get posters paraphrasing Oscar Wilde?

Here is a Turtle
05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Here are the matches for those too lazy for the link above.

Tuesday, December 3rd
Florida State at Minnesota
Illinois at Georgia Tech
Indiana at Syracuse
Michigan at Duke
Notre Dame at Iowa
Penn State at Pittsburgh

Wednesday, December 4th
Boston College at Purdue
Maryland at Ohio State
Miami, FL at Nebraska
North Carolina at Michigan State
Northwestern at North Carolina State
Wisconsin at Virginia

Day 1 is definitely more exciting though Day 2 might have a couple hidden gems in there.

Nugget
05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
The ACC site just posted the official ACC/Big Ten matchups:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050813aab.html

As noted on this thread, Duke gets a home game with Michigan and UNC goes to Michigan State.

I don't understand why it's not the other way around, but there it is.

Me either. It's odd and unnecessary. Only reason I can think is we played MSU last year in the Champions Classic and this year in the tourney, so maybe the league wanted to avoid a "rematch"?

hurleyfor3
05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Pitt/Penn State! That rivalry is NOT dead and NOT limited to football.

Also, if my memory is correct, wasn't Michigan the team that broke Duke's home non-conference winning streak in 1995 or 1996, when it had gotten up to like 100 games? Or maybe it was Illinois? Our current streak is pretty high and I'd like to keep it going.

Illinois was right before Michigan, in December of the 95-96 season. I recall it well, and was especially disappointing because I had just moved to Chicago and the streak had survived the 1995 season intact.

Mike Corey
05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
http://youtu.be/ToEMyjPS2SQ

Olympic Fan
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Pitt/Penn State! That rivalry is NOT dead and NOT limited to football.

Illinois was right before Michigan, in December of the 95-96 season. I recall it well, and was especially disappointing because I had just moved to Chicago and the streak had survived the 1995 season intact.

Dec. 2, 1995 -- Illinois 75-65
That was the only home non-ACC loss in the 1995-96 season. Duke did lose to Michigan that year (88-84), but it was in Ann Arbor.

The home loss you are thinking of was Dec. 8, 1996 (part of the 96-97 season). Duke blew a big lead and lost 62-61. The final moments are memorable to me because the key play of the game was Robert "Tractor" Traylor driving the lane and all the Duke defenders got out of the way -- no one would step up and take a charge.

It is amazing that Duke got through the disastrous 1995 season without a non-conference home loss. The competition wasn't that great -- but Duke beat a very good George Washington team and beat No. 23 Michigan -- with the remnants of the Fab Five (Webber, Howard and Rose were gone ... but Jackson and King remained) to finish 5-0 against the overhyped F5.

Duke has lost three home non-conference games in 20 years -- Illinois in 1995-06, Michigan in 1996-97 and St. Johns in 1999-2000 (Feb. 26, 2000 -- 83-82).

That's it.

BTW. to get back to the challenge, I ran across these numbers in another thread:

Here are the top winners in the challenge -- all from the ACC:

Duke 12-2
Boston College 6-1
Wake Forest 10-3
Maryland 10-4
Clemson 9-5
Virginia 8-5

It explains why the ACC leads the challenge 10-3-1 ... because its bottom teams have dominated. Duke is the only power team in either league to prosper.

Not a single Big Ten school has a winning record in the challenge. Several are a .500 -- Ohio State (6-6), Illinois (7-7), Purdue (6-6) and Nebraska (1-1)

Heavyweights UNC (7-7), Michigan State (6-7), Wisconsin (6-8) and Michigan (5-7) have struggled

Duvall
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM

You're right, of course. I don't know why I thought Taylor King would have been at Duke in 2008-2009.

CLW
05-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I suspect Duke will win 120-7. Or thereabouts. Depending on if Jabari plays well or not. Hey, it could happen. Loyola Marymount averaged that much in the early 1990s.

I recall a previous Duke Michigan encounter @ CIS where the good guys jumped out to a 34-2 lead and ended up winning 104-61.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/120900aae.html

Blue Planet put in one of their "Crazies" videos a Nate James 3 followed by the announcer practically screaming "It's 34 to 2!"

hurleyfor3
05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I recall a previous Duke Michigan encounter @ CIS where the good guys jumped out to a 34-2 lead

That in fact is a 119-7 pace, so it's not out of the question. Just make an extra free throw somewhere. Still not the ∞-0 pace of the first half of the '79 unc game in Cameron, however.

Mike Corey
05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I recall a previous Duke Michigan encounter @ CIS where the good guys jumped out to a 34-2 lead and ended up winning 104-61.

Blue Planet put in one of their "Crazies" videos a Nate James 3 followed by the announcer practically screaming "It's 34 to 2!"

Ah, Shane Battier takin' it to his homestate team. I'd forgotten about that 34-2 run.

But Nate James put it best:

From the beginning of the game, we saw their guys jumping around and celebrating like they were the No. 1 team. We got in the locker room and we said 'Hey, we are going to go out there and play our asses off and shut these guys down.

And they did.

Glorious.

matt1
05-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Hopefully, the nonconference part of the schedule can be as great as it was last year (undefeated, #1)!

devildeac
05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
This is why we're friends. Good lookin' out, sir.

This will be a shellacking for the ages. Good versus evil. Blue and White versus Blue and Blech. Good looking uniforms versus fell-out-of-the-ugly-tree-and-hit-every-highlighter-on-the-way-down-uniforms. Program with tradition versus program that had tradition once but had to remove the banner memorializing the tradition because it cost too much to get that tradition in a hurry.

No disrespect, of course. I'm sure M*chigan is a fine place with some fine people. Heck, Mama Corey went to M*chigan for graduate school, before thinking better of it of course and moving to Columbus.

WTH? You actually think they are going to score a TD and kick a PAT?:o

PS-please clean out your PM box;)

Jderf
05-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Here are the top winners in the challenge -- all from the ACC:

Duke 12-2
Boston College 6-1
Wake Forest 10-3
Maryland 10-4
Clemson 9-5
Virginia 8-5

It explains why the ACC leads the challenge 10-3-1 ... because its bottom teams have dominated. Duke is the only power team in either league to prosper.

Very interesting. That's definitely one odd grouping of teams. Now that the "bottom" ACC teams have sort of imploded in the last few years, I wonder if the ACC will be able to keep up its impressive record in the challenge. I know at least a few people who would suggest we've already started to slide.

MCFinARL
05-08-2013, 07:03 PM
So, um, has anyone focused on Maryland's going away present yet? If you think it is odd that UNC goes to MSU while Duke plays Michigan at home, how about Maryland traveling to OHIO STATE? Not exactly a balanced matchup. Oh, and Terps, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Re the teams with the best Challenge records, neither Wake nor Clemson gets a game this year because there are too many ACC teams. (VaTech is also left out.) So hopefully other teams will improve their Challenge records.

Here is a Turtle
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
So, um, has anyone focused on Maryland's going away present yet? If you think it is odd that UNC goes to MSU while Duke plays Michigan at home, how about Maryland traveling to OHIO STATE? Not exactly a balanced matchup. Oh, and Terps, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Re the teams with the best Challenge records, neither Wake nor Clemson gets a game this year because there are too many ACC teams. (VaTech is also left out.) So hopefully other teams will improve their Challenge records.

Most of Maryland fans are content
about the match up considering a group was worried we wouldn't have a game in the challenge to begin with. Considering a large reason we were in the NIT was a weak SOS and the way that RPI works, it seems like a win/win. Who's to say Maryland won't win the game either.

throatybeard
05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Corey, that Nate quote reminds me of something Carawell said about NC State. I think it was the Kenny Inge game. This is close to verbatim: "They came out all rah-rah. We knocked them back. Then there was no more rah-rah."

Buckeye Devil
05-08-2013, 08:44 PM
about the match up considering a group was worried we wouldn't have a game in the challenge to begin with. Considering a large reason we were in the NIT was a weak SOS and the way that RPI works, it seems like a win/win. Who's to say Maryland won't win the game either.

Personally, I think it will be a competitive game but I do think the Buckeyes will win. OSU will be trying to find its way without DeShaun Thomas and the recruiting class for next year is not stellar. Plus, OSU does not really have an inside presence (unless Amir Williams comes out of no where). It is in Columbus and OSU does have 3 pretty fair players in Craft, Thompson, and Ross.

Newton_14
05-08-2013, 08:52 PM

HA! I was at that game. Took my wife's cousin who is a UNC fan but at the time had never been to an ACC game before. The start was unbelieveable. In the words of the infamous Billy Packer.. it was "Ovah!'

Looking forward to the Michigan game this year. Should be a good one!

gofurman
05-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Here are the matches for those too lazy for the link above.

Tuesday, December 3rd
Florida State at Minnesota
Illinois at Georgia Tech
Indiana at Syracuse
Michigan at Duke
Notre Dame at Iowa
Penn State at Pittsburgh

Wednesday, December 4th
Boston College at Purdue
Maryland at Ohio State
Miami, FL at Nebraska
North Carolina at Michigan State
Northwestern at North Carolina State
Wisconsin at Virginia

Day 1 is definitely more exciting though Day 2 might have a couple hidden gems in there.

anyone else notice the front page is wrong?

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) -- "Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are the three schools from the 15-team ACC that are left out." - not true.. Clemson is left out. Not Georgia Tech. And rightfully so - GT should be decent next year with G-Hunt, etc. Pretty good frontcourt and wings at GT. Honestly with Miami losing Larkin you could see them being worse than Clemson and leaving them out. But maybe they go on prior years record? How do they determine who gets in the next year challenge??? (I ask bc obviously they make sure the best teams get in)

MCFinARL
05-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Good point about the SOS, and I agree, Maryland could win. Just saying that the match up seems like a pretty tough one compared to some they could have gotten that might still have helped with strength of schedule. For example, a game with Iowa, which is playing Notre Dame, could have been a good SOS addition with a stronger chance of victory.

Here is a Turtle
05-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I would have loved another crack at Iowa. Really nice fan base too. Some experts have them as a sleeper team in the B1G this year. But if you want to be the best, you got to compete with the best. I want to beat a top team besides Duke every now and then. Maryland's schedule is coming along nicely. Connecticut and Ohio State are two good match ups, but the Paradise Jam field could be very lackluster. Terps need one or two more solid teams to help out for SOS. There is no excuse to have a 200+ OOC SOS this year.

Danke Shane
05-09-2013, 12:49 PM

This was one of my all-time favorite games I've ever attended at CIS. We had a 41 point halftime lead, and it felt like it should have been more. I remember being surprised and saddened when Michigan finally scored...

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/120900aaa.html

scottdude8
05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
So as a Michigan fan (secondary to my Duke fanhood, of course, but it is extremely strong nonetheless) can someone explain to me why the hatred towards my Wolverines?

I know the Fab Five doesn't have the greatest reputation, but that was 20 years ago. I've got to think its pretty darn hard to hate on John Beilein, a guy who has quite literally worked his way through every level of college basketball. The Wolverines also gave Amaker his first big shot, and gave him more than enough time to follow through despite him being AWFUL while at Michigan (I know people will rag on me for this, and I love Tommy. But his offense was, "Hey, lets throw the ball around the three point line. Oh, crap, there's 5 seconds on the shot clock. THROW UP AN OFF BALANCE JUMPER NOW!") I know there's some bitterness towards McGary cause he didn't chose to be a Blue Devil, but this stuff about him ragging on Duke is just false. He loved Duke, he just wanted to make a name for himself at a school where he could be the legend instead of following in the footsteps of legends. That's very reasonable. And he plays the game in the right way, with such infectious energy and enthusiasm. Yes, every time I watch him I get a bit sad he isn't doing that in Cameron and blowing the roof of the building, but he's a kid. He's entitled to do what makes him happy. And Ann Arbor is a pretty darn good place to spend a couple years of your life as the BMoC.

Plus, Spike Albrecht. How can you not love that guy?

UrinalCake
05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I think a lot of the hatred towards Michigan goes back to the fab five. Yes it was a long time ago, but they're still talked about a lot. The Fab Five were the antithesis of Duke - they were flashy and wore baggy shorts and seemed to be more about appearance than fundamental play. Then you have Jalen Rose's "Uncle Tom" comments from a couple years ago, which pretty much confirmed every reason to hate Michigan that a Duke fan could have - the fact that they would place value on being "street" and would criticize a black player for getting an education and being successful because this would be considered selling out your race.

As for McGary, I actually re-read his blog comments (http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=high-schoolboys-basketball&id=746&src=desktop). He does point out the perception that all Duke bigs do is screen and rebound, but then he goes on to say that be thinks if he went there he would change that perception because Duke told him how they would use him in their offense. So perhaps I've been a little too hard on him. I do think the fact that he voiced that perception out loud really touched a nerve with a lot of Duke fans, who like to pretend that that perception is untrue and/or has no merit. If he were to visit UNC and say "there's a perception that Roy doesn't call enough timeouts" or "there's a perception that nobody has to go to class" then that would probably piss off a lot of UNC fans

Olympic Fan
05-09-2013, 02:15 PM
So as a Michigan fan (secondary to my Duke fanhood, of course, but it is extremely strong nonetheless) can someone explain to me why the hatred towards my Wolverines?

I know the Fab Five doesn't have the greatest reputation, but that was 20 years ago. I've got to think its pretty darn hard to hate on John Beilein, a guy who has quite literally worked his way through every level of college basketball. The Wolverines also gave Amaker his first big shot, and gave him more than enough time to follow through despite him being AWFUL while at Michigan (I know people will rag on me for this, and I love Tommy. But his offense was, "Hey, lets throw the ball around the three point line. Oh, crap, there's 5 seconds on the shot clock. THROW UP AN OFF BALANCE JUMPER NOW!") I know there's some bitterness towards McGary cause he didn't chose to be a Blue Devil, but this stuff about him ragging on Duke is just false. He loved Duke, he just wanted to make a name for himself at a school where he could be the legend instead of following in the footsteps of legends. That's very reasonable. And he plays the game in the right way, with such infectious energy and enthusiasm. Yes, every time I watch him I get a bit sad he isn't doing that in Cameron and blowing the roof of the building, but he's a kid. He's entitled to do what makes him happy. And Ann Arbor is a pretty darn good place to spend a couple years of your life as the BMoC.

Plus, Spike Albrecht. How can you not love that guy?

I'm no Michigan fan, but I share Scott's bewilderment. Why the hatred of Michigan?

Yeah, they were cheating in the early 90s and nobody has more contempt for the overrated Fab Five than I do, but Duke owned Michigan in that era. In fact, Duke has pretty much dominated the series (21-8) ... Michigan has been one of our most important historic rivalries.

Plus, we've won the three NCAA meetings with them (the 1964 semifinals, the 1992 title game, the 2011 second round). I have no problem with Beilein or any of their current players -- including McGary. I'm sorry Tommy didn't work out there, but I don't blame Michigan for that (well, the fact that they were on probation hurt, but he failed to overcome that).

I look forward to the game -- but on the scale of teams I'm desperate to beat and humiliate, they rank well below UNC, UCLA and, most especially, Maryland.

scottdude8
05-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I think a lot of the hatred towards Michigan goes back to the fab five. Yes it was a long time ago, but they're still talked about a lot. The Fab Five were the antithesis of Duke - they were flashy and wore baggy shorts and seemed to be more about appearance than fundamental play. Then you have Jalen Rose's "Uncle Tom" comments from a couple years ago, which pretty much confirmed every reason to hate Michigan that a Duke fan could have - the fact that they would place value on being "street" and would criticize a black player for getting an education and being successful because this would be considered selling out your race.

As for McGary, I actually re-read his blog comments (http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=high-schoolboys-basketball&id=746&src=desktop). He does point out the perception that all Duke bigs do is screen and rebound, but then he goes on to say that be thinks if he went there he would change that perception. So perhaps I've been a little too hard on him. I do think the fact that he voiced that perception out loud really touched a nerve with a lot of Duke fans, who like to pretend that that perception is untrue and/or has no merit.

That's fair enough. It just surprises me that we as Duke fans often times talk about Michigan, a program that with the exception of the Fab Five and their resulting scandal goes about everything the "right" way much like Duke, with the same level of vitriol as we reserve for Kentucky et. al. One of the reasons I love being a fan of both schools is that they are so similar. I view the way Michigan football does things, in comparison to say Ohio State, as very similar to how Duke basketball does things, in comparison to say UNC.

But again, Spike Albrecht is awesome enough to wipe out everyone's memory of the Fab Five. He was choosing between going to Ap. State and Michigan. He ended up going to Michigan, scoring 17 points in the first half of the National Title game, and tweeting at Kate Upton afterwards. And he looks like a student manager. Tell me that isn't a guy worth rooting for, haha.

Duvall
05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
But again, Spike Albrecht is awesome enough to wipe out everyone's memory of the Fab Five. He was choosing between going to Ap. State and Michigan. He ended up going to Michigan, scoring 17 points in the first half of the National Title game, and tweeting at Kate Upton afterwards. And he looks like a student manager. Tell me that isn't a guy worth rooting for, haha.

See, here's the thing about other teams' Little White Point Guards...

Tom B.
05-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Duke has lost three home non-conference games in 20 years -- Illinois in 1995-06, Michigan in 1996-97 and St. Johns in 1999-2000 (Feb. 26, 2000 -- 83-82).

That's it.

Shouldn't that be three home non-conference losses in the last 30 years? Before the Illinois loss in 1995, don't you have to go all the way back to a January 1983 game against Louisville to find our last non-conference home loss?