PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill up for the Suns GM job!

luburch
05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Not sure if this belongs here, but anyway, Marc Stein just tweeted that the Suns want Grant Hill to become their GM.

brevity
05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Not sure if this belongs here, but anyway, Marc Stein just tweeted that the Suns want Grant Hill to become their GM.

So much for that. Ryan McDonough hired (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9251233/phoenix-suns-hire-ryan-mcdonough-boston-celtics-new-gm).

sagegrouse
05-07-2013, 03:06 PM

So much for that. Ryan McDonough hired (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9251233/phoenix-suns-hire-ryan-mcdonough-boston-celtics-new-gm).

Shouldn't Grant spend some time in a front office (or as a coach or as an industrial typhoon) before assuming the GM mantle? the job is about 30 percent basketball and 70 percent business, or so it seems to me.

sagegrouse

CDu
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Shouldn't Grant spend some time in a front office (or as a coach or as an industrial typhoon) before assuming the GM mantle? the job is about 30 percent basketball and 70 percent business, or so it seems to me.

sagegrouse

That would be the logical approach. Unfortunately, that model isn't always followed. Plenty of guys go straight to the GM job without prior NBA management experience. And those guys frequently fail miserably.

Being a good GM is entirely different than being a good basketball player. Jordan was a great player and a terrible GM. Hill is obviously smart and has good people skills (two traits important to being a good GM), but there's no evidence that he's a good talent evaluator or negotiatior or that he has any of the other key attributes of a good GM.

Reilly
05-07-2013, 04:14 PM
... there's no evidence that he's a good talent evaluator or negotiatior or that he has any of the other key attributes of a good GM.

Somebody linked an interview w/ Grant recently, and in it he talked about what a special time he had in Phoenix and how close the team was ... maybe one attribute Grant might bring to the table would be "people reading" skills, knowing which personalities would mesh well, how to avoid disruptive personalities/players ....

Billy Dat
05-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Somebody linked an interview w/ Grant recently, and in it he talked about what a special time he had in Phoenix and how close the team was ... maybe one attribute Grant might bring to the table would be "people reading" skills, knowing which personalities would mesh well, how to avoid disruptive personalities/players ....

Sun's president of Basketball Operations, Lon Babby, was Grant's agent for a long time, most of his career I think. Here's an article that suggests there was some bad blood when Grant left. Also, Suns owner Robert Sarver is supposed to be tough to work for.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/4/29/4186614/grant-hill-and-lon-babby-what-happened

MCFinARL
05-08-2013, 11:05 AM

sagegrouse

I can think of a couple of NBA franchises that could really use a GM with experience as a typhoon....

dball
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I can think of a couple of NBA franchises that could really use a GM with experience as a typhoon....

Grant would be a whirlwind of fresh air.

Ichabod Drain
05-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Grant would be a whirlwind of fresh air.

He could certainly make some waves in a position like that....

MChambers
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm betting they pick a former Miami Hurricane.

dukejim1
05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Sage, they are killing you

sagegrouse
05-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage, they are killing you

Well, I was unsure about whether to label Grant an industrial typhoon or a business maggot. I think either would do.

sagegrouse

Tom B.
05-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Typhoon Grant vs. Hurricane Ditka. Who wins?