PDA

View Full Version : Davidson on the move?

BigWayne
05-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Reported going to the A10.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

gofurman
05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Reported going to the A10.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

Yep - I am a SoCon guy - see my moniker "goFurman"... sort of sad to see them go as they are a great school w great bball. On the other hand the SoCon is really known for football (App State - 3 national Titles, GSU - 6 National Titles, Furman - 2 Finals and 1 National Title, etc.. players and coaches like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Dexter Coakley, Jerome Felton -all are All Pro etc. Heck my Paladins were the home of Sam Wyche who led the Bengals to the Superbowl) ... Davidson would never pony up for scholarship football. Probably better for them. OTOH, the Socon was a much easier race to put them in the Tourney - easy wins and easy weekend. In A10 they will struggle to win the weekend tourney consistently so they better build a great resume throughout the year. Honestly, the SoCon allowed them to play Duke, etc to prep for the tourney OOC and then cruise to the tourney via the SoCon weekend

dukeofcalabash
05-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Yep - I am a SoCon guy - see my moniker "goFurman"... sort of sad to see them go as they are a great school w great bball. On the other hand the SoCon is really known for football (App State - 3 national Titles, GSU - 6 National Titles, Furman - 2 Finals and 1 National Title, etc.. players and coaches like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Dexter Coakley, Jerome Felton -all are All Pro etc. Heck my Paladins were the home of Sam Wyche who led the Bengals to the Superbowl) ... Davidson would never pony up for scholarship football. Probably better for them. OTOH, the Socon was a much easier race to put them in the Tourney - easy wins and easy weekend. In A10 they will struggle to win the weekend tourney consistently so they better build a great resume throughout the year. Honestly, the SoCon allowed them to play Duke, etc to prep for the tourney OOC and then cruise to the tourney via the SoCon weekend

I'll never forget Lefty and the Davidson Wildcats being a "powerhouse" for a couple of years back in the '60's!

davidson
05-07-2013, 10:02 PM
It is official - press conference at 10:30 on Wednesday.

Excited about the move. Would have preferred to stay in the SoCon, but it is falling apart. With App State, GSU and College of Charleston all leaving, and with the conference doing a terrible job of trying to add replacements, we really had no choice but to leave. While there are probably some moves left, the A10 looks to remain a very solid basketball conference.

I do think McKillop really wanted this move and so this move may keep him around for longer than he would have stuck around for the SoCon, so that is huge for us.

-jk
05-07-2013, 10:40 PM
I do hope Davidson lands feet first and ready for anything. I've always considered the school kindred (along with Furman and JC Smith - Duke schools all). And, of course, my cousin went there.

-jk

throatybeard
05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
With App State, GSU and College of Charleston all leaving, and with the conference doing a terrible job of trying to add replacements, we really had no choice but to leave.

Bewildering. I just read the wiki article for the conference. My goodness.

I LOVE App, but they're on crack moving to I-A. Look what happened to Marshall.

davidson
05-08-2013, 07:32 AM
One small correction to the DBR story on the front page. The move definitely does not set up a conference rivalry with UNC-C, as they are leaving the A10 for Conference USA as part of starting up football this fall.

jimsumner
05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I'll never forget Lefty and the Davidson Wildcats being a "powerhouse" for a couple of years back in the '60's!

More than a couple. Pretty much the entire decade.