PDA

View Full Version : 2013 TV Renewals and Cancellations

matt1
05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Of the 116 entertainment (non-news, non-sports) programs that have aired on broadcast TV during the 2012-13 season, the fates are clear (whether it be officially or unofficially) for 95.

Here are the 21 shows that I do not consider 100% locks to go one way or the other:

Nashville (ABC Drama)- 90% chance of renewal
Nikita (CW Drama)- 88% chance of renewal
What Would You Do (ABC Reality)- 85% chance of renewal
Last Man Standing (ABC Comedy)- 85% chance of renewal
Community (NBC Comedy)- 80% chance of renewal
Wife Swap (ABC Reality)- 80% chance of renewal
Go On (NBC Comedy)- 70% chance of renewal
The Neighbors (ABC Comedy)- 65% chance of renewal
How to Live With Your Parents (ABC Comedy)- 60% chance of renewal
Body of Proof (ABC Drama)- 45% chance of renewal
Malibu Country (ABC Comedy)- 40% chance of renewal
Whitney (NBC Comedy)- 40% chance of renewal
Betty White's Off Their Rockers (NBC Reality)- 40% chance of renewal
Rules of Engagement (CBS Comedy)- 35% chance of renewal
The New Normal (NBC Comedy)- 15% chance of renewal
The Taste (ABC Reality)- 10% chance of renewal
Guys With Kids (NBC Comedy)- 10% chance of renewal
Hannibal (NBC Drama)- 5% chance of renewal
Deception (NBC Drama)- 5% chance of renewal
Take It All (NBC Reality)- 5% chance of renewal
CSI: New York (CBS Drama)- 3% chance of renewal

Which of these shows do you want back?

matt1
05-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Of the 116 entertainment (non-news, non-sports) programs that have aired on broadcast TV during the 2012-13 season, the fates are clear (whether it be officially or unofficially) for 95.

Here are the 21 shows that I do not consider 100% locks to go one way or the other:

Nashville (ABC Drama)- 90% chance of renewal
Nikita (CW Drama)- 88% chance of renewal
What Would You Do (ABC Reality)- 85% chance of renewal
Last Man Standing (ABC Comedy)- 85% chance of renewal
Community (NBC Comedy)- 80% chance of renewal
Wife Swap (ABC Reality)- 80% chance of renewal
Go On (NBC Comedy)- 70% chance of renewal
The Neighbors (ABC Comedy)- 65% chance of renewal
How to Live With Your Parents (ABC Comedy)- 60% chance of renewal
Body of Proof (ABC Drama)- 45% chance of renewal
Malibu Country (ABC Comedy)- 40% chance of renewal
Betty White's Off Their Rockers (NBC Reality)- 40% chance of renewal
Rules of Engagement (CBS Comedy)- 35% chance of renewal
The New Normal (NBC Comedy)- 15% chance of renewal
The Taste (ABC Reality)- 10% chance of renewal
Guys With Kids (NBC Comedy)- 10% chance of renewal
Hannibal (NBC Drama)- 5% chance of renewal
Deception (NBC Drama)- 5% chance of renewal
Take It All (NBC Reality)- 5% chance of renewal
CSI: New York (CBS Drama)- 3% chance of renewal

Which of these shows do you want back?

I should also add CW reality show Oh Sit, with a 95% chance of renewal.

Jarhead
05-04-2013, 04:42 PM
The only shows on the list that I have watched at least once are Nashville and Body of Proof. The former I dumped from my viewing list after that one show. The latter I watched some of the shows, but I don't consider myself a fan. Your whole list can dumped as far as I am concerned. The bigger questions -- what shows are sure to come back, and what shows are sure to be dumped?

matt1
05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
OFFICIALLY RENEWED:
Comedies:
The Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother (for final full season)
Two Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
Two and a Half Men
American Dad
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
New Girl
Raising Hope
The Mindy Project

Dramas:
NCIS
Person of Interest
NCIS: LA
CSI
Hawaii 5-0
Blue Bloods
The Mentalist
Elementary
The Good Wife
The Following
Bones
Glee (through 2015)
Grimm
Revolution
Parenthood
Law & Order: SVU
Chicago Fire
Arrow
The Vampire Diaries
Supernatural
Hart of Dixie
Beauty and the Beast

Reality:
Survivor
The Amazing Race
Undercover Boss
Hell's Kitchen
The X Factor
The Voice
America's Next Top Model (moving to summer)

CERTAIN TO BE RENEWED:
Comedies:
Modern Family
Suburgatory
The Middle
Parks & Recreation

Dramas:
Criminal Minds
Once Upon a Time
Grey's Anatomy
Scandal
Castle
Revenge

Reality:
America's Funniest Home Videos
Shark Tank
Dancing With the Stars
American Idol
The Bachelor
The Biggest Loser
Kitchen Nightmares
COPS
The Celebrity Apprentice

matt1
05-04-2013, 05:43 PM
OFFICIALLY CANCELED
Comedies:
Partners
Ben & Kate
The Cleveland Show (may air some episodes in 2013-14)
Next Caller (never aired an episode)
Animal Practice
Don't Trust The B- in Apartment 23
30 Rock (final season)
The Office (final season)

Dramas
Made in Jersey
The Mob Doctor
Fringe (final season)
Do No Harm
Smash
Last Resort
666 Park Avenue
Zero Hour
Private Practice (final season)
Cult
Emily Owens, M.D.
90210 (final season)
Gossip Girl (final season)

Reality:
The Job
Ready for Love

CERTAIN TO BE CANCELED
Comedies:
The Family Tools
Happy Endings (may return on cable)
Up All Night
1600 Penn

Dramas:
Touch
Golden Boy
Vegas
The Carrie Diaries
Red Widow

Reality:
Bet on Your Baby
Splash
Fashion Star

Duvall
05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
OFFICIALLY RENEWED:
Comedies:
The Big Bang Theory
Two Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
Two and a Half Men
American Dad
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
New Girl
Raising Hope
The Mindy Project

Dramas:
NCIS
Person of Interest
CSI
Hawaii 5-0
Blue Bloods
The Mentalist
Elementary
The Good Wife
The Following
Bones
Glee (through 2015)
Grimm
Revolution
Parenthood
Chicago Fire
Arrow
The Vampire Diaries
Supernatural
Hart of Dixie
Beauty and the Beast

Reality:
Survivor
The Amazing Race
Undercover Boss
Hell's Kitchen
The X Factor
The Voice

CERTAIN TO BE RENEWED:
Comedies:
Modern Family
Suburgatory
The Middle
Parks & Recreation

Dramas:
Criminal Minds
Once Upon a Time
Grey's Anatomy
Scandal
Castle
Revenge

Reality:
America's Funniest Home Videos
Shark Tank
Dancing With the Stars
American Idol
The Bachelor
The Biggest Loser
Kitchen Nightmares
COPS
The Celebrity Apprentice

Network TV really is becoming a wasteland, huh?

matt1
05-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Network TV really is becoming a wasteland, huh?

I should not admit how may network TV shows I watch.

ArnieMc
05-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Southland?

Duvall
05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Southland?

Cable. Those are just network shows.

hurleyfor3
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
OFFICIALLY CANCELED
The Cleveland Show

Geez, what the hell took them so long.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
CERTAIN TO BE CANCELED

Dramas:

Golden Boy
Vegas

Really? I like both those shows. Loved Vegas from it's beginning last fall, I guess just having gotten back from Vegas a couple of weeks before it debuted made it seem more real, especially seeing McCarin Airport then and now.

Golden Boys has had several episodes we enjoyed. Sorry this is done too. :(

bjornolf
05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Really? I like both those shows. Loved Vegas from it's beginning last fall, I guess just having gotten back from Vegas a couple of weeks before it debuted made it seem more real, especially seeing McCarin Airport then and now.

Golden Boys has had several episodes we enjoyed. Sorry this is done too. :(

Golden Boy is the only one I'm really bummed about. Well, I kind of liked Emily Owens, but I knew that was canceled months ago. Never could get into Vegas. Quaid's just become so wooden.

Tom B.
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Please, oh please, send this one packing. NBC promoted the heck out of it for its first season, so I gave it a shot and couldn't make it through half of the first episode. I'm hard-pressed to think of any one event more emblematic of NBC's decline than its decision to actually renew this crapfest for a second season. I beg you, NBC, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Kill....this....show....now.

Reisen
05-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Please, oh please, send this one packing. NBC promoted the heck out of it for its first season, so I gave it a shot and couldn't make it through half of the first episode. I'm hard-pressed to think of any one event more emblematic of NBC's decline than its decision to actually renew this crapfest for a second season. I beg you, NBC, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Kill....this....show....now.

Ha, that just goes to show how much tastes differ. I thought Whitney was hilarious, and one of the better new shows on tv.

As with any comedian, no comedy is going to be funny to 100% of the people 100% of the time, but I think she's good, and I like the guy who plays her boyfriend. I could take or leave many of the supporting characters, but 90% of the show is about her or her now-husband, anyway. Even Modern Family or HIMYM have plenty of dud episodes, and those are the two funniest shows on television.

Then again, I thought "Seinfeld" was vastly overrated, and can't stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm", "Arrested Development", "Family Guy", or "Futurama", so what do I know about comedies. Plus, the viewers obviously agree with you, because the show's numbers are tanking.

Tom B.
05-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Then again, I thought "Seinfeld" was vastly overrated, and can't stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm", "Arrested Development", "Family Guy", or "Futurama", so what do I know about comedies.

We may not be so different after all. I watched and enjoyed Seinfeld, but I wasn't religious about it the way many folks were. I was a semi-regular Family Guy watcher for a little while, but with all of its moving around and on-again-off-again stuff, I drifted from it and never really went back. And I've never gotten into any of the other shows you mentioned. I've tried them all at one time or another, but they never clicked with me enough for me to keep coming back.

Olympic Fan
05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Then again, I thought "Seinfeld" was vastly overrated, and can't stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm", "Arrested Development", "Family Guy", or "Futurama", so what do I know about comedies. Plus, the viewers obviously agree with you, because the show's numbers are tanking.

I loved Seinfeld ... enjoyed Curb Your Enthusiasm and came to enjoy Futurama ... but I never could get into Arrested Development (and I got tired of friends telling me I should love it), I can't stand Family Guy, Modern Family or most of the modern sitcoms -- and I love sitcoms. About the only two on now that I watch are Big Bang and HIMYM.

Glad to see the latter is extended for one final season -- hopefully Ted will finally meet the mother of his two kids.

Otherwise, the list of cancellations and renewals left me with a Blah feeling. I don't watch and don't care about 99 percent of the shows on that list.

In fact, it reminded me of how irrelevant network TV has become. I'm not a TV snob -- I watch A LOT of TV, but I watch sports, entertainment, news, movie channels and the like. About the only time I watch network TV is when they have a sporting event I like. Even when big news is breaking -- after the Boston Marathon, I watched a lot more CNN, MSNBC and Fox News than the networks.

So cancel away ..l couldn't care less.

matt1
05-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am now leaning ever so slightly towards a Whitney renewal based on what I have heard the last few days.

throatybeard
05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
This is really a testament to the movement of quality TV away from the networks to HBO, AMC, Showtime, etc.

Blue in the Face
05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
This is really a testament to the movement of quality TV away from the networks to HBO, AMC, Showtime, etc.
Cable tv's march to domination knows no limits (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncaa-hoops-semifinal-games-moving-to-cable-in-2014/12419467/).

CBS and Turner Sports said Tuesday the national semifinals will air on TBS in 2014 and 2015, with the title game remaining on CBS. Under the 14-year deal the companies signed with the NCAA in 2010, CBS and TBS will alternate broadcasting the entire Final Four after that. TBS will have it in 2016 and CBS in 2017.

A-Tex Devil
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I loved Seinfeld ... enjoyed Curb Your Enthusiasm and came to enjoy Futurama ... but I never could get into Arrested Development (and I got tired of friends telling me I should love it), I can't stand Family Guy, Modern Family or most of the modern sitcoms -- and I love sitcoms. About the only two on now that I watch are Big Bang and HIMYM.

Arrested Development is simply the best plotted show in the history of television. The Wire, Game of Thrones and the Sopranos all wish that they could weave as tight of plots as Arrested Development, a comedy, could. Almost every minute of screen time got a call back in a future episode. Not a wasted scene. Can't wait to see it back on Netflix.

jay
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Arrested Development is simply the best plotted show in the history of television. The Wire, Game of Thrones and the Sopranos all wish that they could weave as tight of plots as Arrested Development, a comedy, could. Almost every minute of screen time got a call back in a future episode. Not a wasted scene. Can't wait to see it back on Netflix.

First, Breaking Bad.

Second, considering the show couldn't hold my attention for more than 20 minutes the first time I tried to watch it, lavish praise like this always strikes me as odd. I feel like AD fans spend way too much time trying to convince other people why the show is so awesome. I've even had a few AD fans get borderline offended when I tell them I didn't enjoy it when I watched.

Also, House of Cards. That show is amazing for things you wouldn't normally think were important, that pop up later as being crucial to the plot.

rsvman
05-07-2013, 11:49 AM
IMO, the funniest show on television is Community. Has been for a couple of years, although this season was a bit spottier than the prior seasons.

Modern Family pretty reliably delivers a few good laughs.

I liked Arrested Development, Seinfeld, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

In general, though, I think sitcoms are a vast wasteland. Whitney is definitely one of those generic, crappy sitcoms that should not be renewed.

A-Tex Devil
05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
First, Breaking Bad.

Second, considering the show couldn't hold my attention for more than 20 minutes the first time I tried to watch it, lavish praise like this always strikes me as odd. I feel like AD fans spend way too much time trying to convince other people why the show is so awesome. I've even had a few AD fans get borderline offended when I tell them I didn't enjoy it when I watched.

Also, House of Cards. That show is amazing for things you wouldn't normally think were important, that pop up later as being crucial to the plot.

I'm not trying to proselytize, and I'm being a little tongue and cheek. I'm just saying that every moment in Arrested Development, every throw away line, etc., comes back.

I was definitely one of those that needed to get through the inertia of the show finding itself in its first season, but from the second half of the first season on, I haven't laughed more at a comedy other than, perhaps, Curb Your Enthusiasm. But that's just me.

brevity
05-07-2013, 02:47 PM

First, Breaking Bad.

First, people can watch or not watch a show for whatever reason they like. If I believe pop culture, there are about 5 vital shows I watch and another 25 I should be watching. And that doesn't include shows I should have watched back when they aired. Who has time?

I think "Arrested Development" fans were offended because the show represents the entire spectrum of comedy: the subtle and the obvious, the tasteful and the crude, the silly parody and the groundbreaking original, the split-second background image and the foreground pratfall, the irreverent and the timely political. Everything. The whole encyclopedia. If you can't find something to like in the show, you don't like comedy.

That said, the show's fans are annoying because they speak as one and find everything about the show to be perfect. It is not. I found a lot to like in the show but also a lot to dislike. Which is logical, because the show throws everything at you. The entire Charlize Theron arc was a triumph of writing, while the Justine Bateman appearance still creeps me out. (At the same time, the Charlize Theron arc was a bit unsettling, and the Justine Bateman appearance was very ambitious.)

Because it was cancelled before it got stale, or at least stopped being innovative, the show became a nice 3-season time capsule, sort of the FOX network's comedy companion to "24" as a Bush-era TV fantasy. I don't see the purpose to a fourth season. A movie would have given the show a chance to step up its game.

Indoor66
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
First, people can watch or not watch a show for whatever reason they like. If I believe pop culture, there are about 5 vital shows I watch and another 25 I should be watching. And that doesn't include shows I should have watched back when they aired. Who has time?

I think "Arrested Development" fans were offended because the show represents the entire spectrum of comedy: the subtle and the obvious, the tasteful and the crude, the silly parody and the groundbreaking original, the split-second background image and the foreground pratfall, the irreverent and the timely political. Everything. The whole encyclopedia. If you can't find something to like in the show, you don't like comedy.

That said, the show's fans are annoying because they speak as one and find everything about the show to be perfect. It is not. I found a lot to like in the show but also a lot to dislike. Which is logical, because the show throws everything at you. The entire Charlize Theron arc was a triumph of writing, while the Justine Bateman appearance still creeps me out. (At the same time, the Charlize Theron arc was a bit unsettling, and the Justine Bateman appearance was very ambitious.)

Because it was cancelled before it got stale, or at least stopped being innovative, the show became a nice 3-season time capsule, sort of the FOX network's comedy companion to "24" as a Bush-era TV fantasy. I don't see the purpose to a fourth season. A movie would have given the show a chance to step up its game.

I agree. They quit before they met the Shark - which was circling.

matt1
05-08-2013, 07:37 PM
NBC has canceled Deception.

Here are my final predictions:
OFFICIALLY RENEWED:
Comedies:
The Big Bang Theory
Two Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
Two and a Half Men
American Dad
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
New Girl
Raising Hope
The Mindy Project

Dramas:
NCIS
Person of Interest
CSI
Hawaii 5-0
Blue Bloods
The Mentalist
Elementary
The Good Wife
The Following
Bones
Glee (through 2015)
Grimm
Revolution
Parenthood
Chicago Fire
Arrow
The Vampire Diaries
Supernatural
Hart of Dixie
Beauty and the Beast

Reality:
Survivor
The Amazing Race
Undercover Boss
COPS (moving to Spike)
Hell's Kitchen
The X Factor
The Voice

OFFICIALLY CANCELED
Comedies:
Partners
Ben & Kate
Animal Practice
30 Rock (final season)

Dramas
Made in Jersey
The Mob Doctor
Fringe (final season)
Do No Harm
Smash
Deception
Last Resort
666 Park Avenue
Zero Hour
Cult
Emily Owens, M.D.
90210 (final season)

Reality:
The Job
COPS (moving to Spike)
Ready for Love

COMEDIES
Modern Family- 100%
The Middle- 100%
Suburgatory- 100%
Parks & Recreation- 100%
Last Man Standing- 95%
Community- 80%
Go On- 70%

The Neighbors- 65%
How to Live With Your Parents- 60%
Whitney- 51%
Malibu Country- 40%

The New Normal- 25%
Guys With Kids- 20%
Rules of Engagement- 15%
The Family Tools- 0%
Happy Endings- 0% (on ABC)
Up All Night- 0%
1600 Penn- 0%

DRAMAS
Criminal Minds- 100%
Once Upon a Time- 100%
Grey's Anatomy- 100%
Sacndal- 100%
Castle- 100%
Revenge- 100%
Nikita- 95%
Nashville- 90%

Body of Proof- 45%

Hannibal- 10%
CSI:NY- 3%
Touch- 0%
Golden Boy- 0%
The Carrie Diaries- 0%
Vegas- 0%
Red Widow- 0%

REALITY
America's Funniest Home Videos- 100%
Shark Tank- 100%
Dancing With the Stars- 100%
American Idol- 100%
The Bachelor- 100%
The Biggest Loser- 100%
Kitchen Nightmares- 100%
The Celebrity Apprentice- 100%
Oh Sit- 95%
What Would You Do- 85%
Wife Swap- 80%

Betty White's Off Their Rockers- 51%

The Taste- 10%
Take It All- 5%
Bet On Your Baby- 0%
Splash- 0%
Fashion Star- 0%

throatybeard
05-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Why can't all the "reality" shows get cancelled? Forever?

Duvall
05-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Whitney is cancelled.

matt1
05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Renewed Today:
Criminal Minds
Parks & Recreation
Nikita
The Carrie Diaries (my biggest swing and miss of the season)

Canceled Today:
Whitney
1600 Penn
Guys With Kids
Up All Night
Touch

OZZIE4DUKE
05-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Castle and Grey's Anatomy are cancelled? :mad: Castle was a fun show and Grey's has finally gotten good again the last few weeks.

snowdenscold
05-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Castle and Grey's Anatomy are cancelled? :mad: Castle was a fun show and Grey's has finally gotten good again the last few weeks.

Where'd you see this? I thought they were safe bets for renewal.

Dukeface88
05-10-2013, 12:42 AM

As far as I can tell the only question for Castle is whether it's being renewed for one season or two.

Duvall
05-10-2013, 12:47 AM

ABC hasn't made its final announcements yet.

JasonEvans
05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Howard Gordon (who produced 24 and then the showtime hit, Homeland) has approached Fox about bringing 24 back to the network. Fox is apparently quite enthused. Both sides are talking about a "limited series" (where you do 10-14 episodes, not the usual 20-26 of a regular season) so we would not get 24 full episodes. I could see Fox drooling at the prospect of an action/investigation/mystery block featuring 24 and The Following on the same night. They could also place 24 in a time slot for 12 weeks and then following it with The Following for 12 weeks. They would seem to attract a similar kind of audience.

-Jason "Kieffer Sutherland, whose Touch has been cancelled, is said to be excited about returning to the Jack Bauer role" Evans

BD80
05-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Howard Gordon ... has approached Fox about bringing 24 back to the network... a "limited series" (where you do 10-14 episodes, ...) ...

-Jason "Kieffer Sutherland, whose Touch has been cancelled, is said to be excited about returning to the Jack Bauer role" Evans

Will they call it "12?"

"24 lite?"

JasonEvans
05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
People... Grey's Anatomy is a mortal lock to be renewed. It is consistently one of the top 10 shows on TV among the 18-49 year old viewers that advertisers covet. Plus, having been around for several years, each episode made is another episode that can be sold into syndication (Lifetime airs Grey's repeats at 1, 2, and 3pm every day).

What's more, it is not even at risk of some kind of star rebellion (where the actors all ask for so much money that it puts the show in danger) because Grey's has been so successful at replacing and writing off stars but still maintaining ratings. Think of all the major characters who have been killed off or left the show -- Preston Burke, George O'Malley, Lexie Grey, Addison Sheppard, Mark Sloan, Izzie Stevens and many others. Heck, I am not even sure that Meredith and Derek are essential to the show's survival.

This show ain't going anywhere unless Ex Prod Shonda Rhimes decides she does not enjoy making tens of millions of dollars a year off of it.

-Jason "Castle has been surging lately, winning the 10pm Monday time slot for the past couple months... it is certain to be renewed too" Evans

JasonEvans
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I am not sure if it goes here, but ABC will supposedly announce today or tomorrow that it is picking up a TV series exec produced by Joss Whedon called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Clarke Gregg (agent Colson in the Marvel films) is going to be one of the lead characters. It will not be about superheroes as much as it will be about the human agents dealing with superhuman things. Still, I would not be at all surprised if we saw Samuel L Jackson and perhaps a couple of the other S.H.I.E.L.D. stars (Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner would seem the most likely) making guest appearances every now and then. Maybe...

-Jason "should be fun!" Evans

matt1
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM

No, both are 100% for renewal. That renewal will almost certainly come by tonight.

BD80
05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I am not sure if it goes here, but ABC will supposedly announce today or tomorrow that it is picking up a TV series exec produced by Joss Whedon called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Clarke Gregg (agent Colson in the Marvel films) is going to be one of the lead characters. ...

-Jason "should be fun!" Evans

The one who died in last year's The Avengers?

JasonEvans
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Whoa... NBC just cancelled Go On. Color me surprised at that one. The ratings had not been great, but Matt Perry is a bit of a commodity.

-Jason "Yes, Agent Colson is the guy who died in the Avengers movie -- clearly the stories will be about pre-Avengers S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff" Evans

Duvall
05-10-2013, 03:38 PM
-Jason "Yes, Agent Colson is the guy who died in the Avengers movie -- clearly the stories will be about pre-Avengers S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff" Evans

Maybe, but I doubt it - more likely that ABC/Disney/Marvel/Whedon will use the series to set up the next wave of films. In the Marvel Universe, death has always been less of a final destination and more of a lengthy nap anyway.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
NBC has canceled Deception.

Here are my final predictions:
OFFICIALLY RENEWED:
Comedies:
The Big Bang Theory
Two Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
Two and a Half Men
American Dad
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
New Girl
Raising Hope
The Mindy Project

Dramas:
NCIS
Person of Interest
CSI
Hawaii 5-0
Blue Bloods
The Mentalist
Elementary
The Good Wife
The Following
Bones
Glee (through 2015)
Grimm
Revolution
Parenthood
Chicago Fire
Arrow
The Vampire Diaries
Supernatural
Hart of Dixie
Beauty and the Beast

Reality:
Survivor
The Amazing Race
Undercover Boss
COPS (moving to Spike)
Hell's Kitchen
The X Factor
The Voice

OFFICIALLY CANCELED
Comedies:
Partners
Ben & Kate
Animal Practice
30 Rock (final season)

Dramas
Made in Jersey
The Mob Doctor
Fringe (final season)
Do No Harm
Smash
Deception
Last Resort
666 Park Avenue
Zero Hour
Cult
Emily Owens, M.D.
90210 (final season)

Reality:
The Job
COPS (moving to Spike)
Ready for Love

COMEDIES
Modern Family- 100%
The Middle- 100%
Suburgatory- 100%
Parks & Recreation- 100%
Last Man Standing- 95%
Community- 80%
Go On- 70%

The Neighbors- 65%
How to Live With Your Parents- 60%
Whitney- 51%
Malibu Country- 40%

The New Normal- 25%
Guys With Kids- 20%
Rules of Engagement- 15%
The Family Tools- 0%
Happy Endings- 0% (on ABC)
Up All Night- 0%
1600 Penn- 0%

DRAMAS
Criminal Minds- 100%
Once Upon a Time- 100%
Grey's Anatomy- 100%
Sacndal- 100%
Castle- 100%
Revenge- 100%
Nikita- 95%
Nashville- 90%

Body of Proof- 45%

Hannibal- 10%
CSI:NY- 3%
Touch- 0%
Golden Boy- 0%
The Carrie Diaries- 0%
Vegas- 0%
Red Widow- 0%

REALITY
America's Funniest Home Videos- 100%
Shark Tank- 100%
Dancing With the Stars- 100%
American Idol- 100%
The Bachelor- 100%
The Biggest Loser- 100%
Kitchen Nightmares- 100%
The Celebrity Apprentice- 100%
Oh Sit- 95%
What Would You Do- 85%
Wife Swap- 80%

Betty White's Off Their Rockers- 51%

The Taste- 10%
Take It All- 5%
Bet On Your Baby- 0%
Splash- 0%
Fashion Star- 0%

I interpret the above bolded predictions as being in the Cancelled category. If I'm misreading the OP's list, good! I hope those shows continue.

matt1
05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I interpret the above bolded predictions as being in the Cancelled category. If I'm misreading the OP's list, good! I hope those shows continue.

I am the OP. Anything with a percentage was undecided as of Wednesday. 100% was the likelihood I gave it to be renewed. On the actual blog, the colors are different, making it more clear. With that said, I already have three misses:

Whitney- had as a 51% chance for renewal
Go On- had as a 70% chance for renewal
The Carrie Diaries- had as 0% chance for renewal

jimsumner
05-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Whoa... NBC just cancelled Go On. Color me surprised at that one. The ratings had not been great, but Matt Perry is a bit of a commodity.

Posh. I liked Go On.

I guess all those other monster hits on NBC just crowed it out.

matt1
05-10-2013, 08:12 PM

I just heard that ABC renewed Nashville, Scandal, and Grey's Anatomy. Castle is now also renewed, per a TV By the Numbers comment.

matt1
05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Renewed Today:
Hell's Kitchen (through 2015)
MasterChef (through 2015 or 2016)
Nashville
Grey's Anatomy
Castle
Scandal
Community
Once Upon a Time

Canceled Today:
Go On
Rock Center
CSI: NY
Rules of Engagement
Golden Boy
Vegas
Malibu Country

matt1
05-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Renewed Today:
Hell's Kitchen (through 2015)
MasterChef (through 2015 or 2016)
Nashville
Grey's Anatomy
Castle
Scandal
Community
Once Upon a Time

Canceled Today:
Go On
Rock Center
CSI: NY
Rules of Engagement
Golden Boy
Vegas
Malibu Country

Also Renewed:
Revenge
Suburgatory
Modern Family

Also Canceled:
Happy Endings

bjornolf
05-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Bummer about Go On, I kinda liked that one. I love the young guy from Everybody Hates Chris.

matt1
05-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Renewed:
Last Man Standing
The Middle
The Neighbors

Canceled:
The Family Tools
How to Live With Your Parents
Body of Proof

Dukeface88
05-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Maybe, but I doubt it - more likely that ABC/Disney/Marvel/Whedon will use the series to set up the next wave of films. In the Marvel Universe, death has always been less of a final destination and more of a lengthy nap anyway.

I thought the movie set up his survival pretty clearly. We only hear he died from Fury, who is later shown to have lied about at least part of it to motivate the team.

DukieInKansas
05-12-2013, 03:45 AM
I'll miss Go On. I liked visiting Happyville.

brevity
05-12-2013, 04:53 AM
I don't like this setup. For shows on the bubble, showrunners have no idea whether to wrap up plotlines or leave them open. And it doesn't help when the networks make their decisions the SAME WEEK as the season finales. Who decided that timetable? What's the harm in changing it so that either (1) the networks decide on cancellations earlier or (2) the production companies make their show's final episodes and air them later? Can someone explain that?

In recent years I've developed a pretty good ability to not get TOO attached to a show if I sense it's not going to be resolved. So I no longer run into the problem where a show's cancellation leaves me hanging. But now I get the opposite problem: I'm made my peace with saying goodbye to a show that somehow gets renewed, and I'm not overly enthused by its return. Case in point: Community. I might end up liking next season, but I'm not looking forward to it. There are a handful of these shows in my own personal limbo, and I'm stringing them along until they end or I get wise and cut the cord. (Extreme example: I gave up Supernatural altogether when the show seemingly ended on a strong note, and have since pretended that the past 3 or so seasons do not exist.)

I'm starting to see why certain CBS sitcoms, procedurals, and reality shows get such good ratings. They're cancel-proof. Viewers can stick with them as long as they want, miss an episode without confusion, and not concern themselves with a larger mythology. In this age of recorded delay, On Demand, and internet streaming, old-fashioned live TV viewing still wins out.