PDA

View Full Version : MLax Bracketology

burnspbesq
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
With five days between now and Selection Sunday, and seven AQs on the line in conference tournaments starting tomorrow, here is how four smart guys and one buffoon see the field shaping up.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/4/30/4278764/ncaa-lacrosse-bracketology-tournmanet-bracket-projection-inside-lacrosse-foy-patrick-stevens

BigWayne
05-01-2013, 02:06 AM
With five days between now and Selection Sunday, and seven AQs on the line in conference tournaments starting tomorrow, here is how four smart guys and one buffoon see the field shaping up.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/4/30/4278764/ncaa-lacrosse-bracketology-tournmanet-bracket-projection-inside-lacrosse-foy-patrick-stevens

Your unseeded matchups will probably work out differently because of the way they figure bus rides. I would guess Marist gets sent to Denver and Bucknell or Ohio State get sent to Notre Dame. The team that gets sent to Denver will likely be the one that is farthest away from everybody else.

burnspbesq
05-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Your unseeded matchups will probably work out differently because of the way they figure bus rides. I would guess Marist gets sent to Denver and Bucknell or Ohio State get sent to Notre Dame. The team that gets sent to Denver will likely be the one that is farthest away from everybody else.

That's certainly a possibility, but if last year is any indication, the selection committee's focus has moved away from minimizing flights to trying to avoid rematches in the first round. There were three flights last year, and when Denver, Notre Dame, and Carolina are seeded, it's tough to avoid that without losing some bracket integrity.

burnspbesq
05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Three days of crazy conference tournament action have put Duke in a very unfamiliar position: squarely on the bubble.

It starts with Towson. Remember them, the team that could only get four goals against Duke's suspect defense? Well, the Towson Tigers are the AQ from the Colonial after beating Drexel and Penn State. The Nittany Lions are still in, so in all probability Towson knocks Bucknell out of the tournament.

Syracuse plays Villanova for the Big East title tomorrow. A Wildcat win would mean that both Syracuse and Notre Dame would get in as at-large selections, popping somebody else's bubble, most likely either Loyola or Yale.

Finally, Priceton knocked off Cornell in the Ivy semis. They play Yale for the championship. Cornell is in regardless, but yet another at-large slot gets consumed by a team that was expected to be an AQ.

Simply put, wins by Priceton and Villanova could be enough to push Duke out of the field.

Billy Dat
05-03-2013, 11:42 PM
An NCAA bid in lax is no gimme, it seems relatively stingy - lot's of good teams don't make it.

MCFinARL
05-03-2013, 11:52 PM
An NCAA bid in lax is no gimme, it seems relatively stingy - lot's of good teams don't make it.

True--and Duke could have virtually guaranteed itself a spot if it had beaten UNC last week, but that didn't happen. It would be a shame to miss the tournament altogether after six straight final fours, though.

Let's go Elis! (Not sure I can bring myself to cheer for Syracuse, but I will try.)

wallyman
05-04-2013, 12:03 AM
They should win, putting us in. (Assuming we take care of business at Marquette...)

MCFinARL
05-04-2013, 12:08 AM
They should win, putting us in. (Assuming we take care of business at Marquette...)

Well, really, if we don't take care of business at Marquette, we don't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament. Agree Cuse should win, and Yale could win also, though that is more of a toss up--they lost to Princeton by 1 in March but have played very well over all since then.

burnspbesq
05-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Updated projection.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/5/4/4299158/bracketology-v4-1-if-its-may-this-must-be-carnage

The fun starts at 10:00 a.m. Eastern on Saturday with the America East final between Albany and UMBC. If you haven't seen the Thompson Show yet this season, you owe it to yourself.

Syracuse and Villanova face off at noon.

chrishoke
05-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Updated projection.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/5/4/4299158/bracketology-v4-1-if-its-may-this-must-be-carnage

The fun starts at 10:00 a.m. Eastern on Saturday with the America East final between Albany and UMBC. If you haven't seen the Thompson Show yet this season, you owe it to yourself.

Syracuse and Villanova face off at noon.

Syracuse beats Nova! One step closer.

burnspbesq
05-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Syracuse beats Nova! One step closer.

Now everybody get up early tomorrow and root for Yale.

MCFinARL
05-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Game is at 11--are you on the West Coast, or just young? ;)

MCFinARL
05-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Yale wins 12-8. So far so good for Duke.

burnspbesq
05-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Duke came off the bus ready to play. Brendan Fowler opened the scoring after four seconds.

DST Fan
05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Duke came off the bus ready to play. Brendan Fowler opened the scoring after four seconds.

Are you watching on the live feed from the Marquette athletic department website? It's not working for me.

DST Fan
05-05-2013, 01:28 PM
The feed is now working.

http://www.gomarquette.com/allaccess/?media=387505

DevilWearsPrada
05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
The feed is now working.

http://www.gomarquette.com/allaccess/?media=387505

I tried several times, and the feed isn't working for me, either.

Following Live stats on Goduke. End of the 3rd period, Duke leads 16 3 over Marquette.

DevilWearsPrada
05-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Duke 19 Marquette 3 Final!!!!

Great day for lacrosse!!!

The girls won earlier today over Boston Univ 18 9

GO Duke!!!!:D

MCFinARL
05-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I tried several times, and the feed isn't working for me, either.

Following Live stats on Goduke. End of the 3rd period, Duke leads 16 3 over Marquette.

If it makes you feel any better, the live feed worked for me, but the picture was almost unwatchably bad. And the sound went out several times. So you probably got almost as much information from live stats.

DST Fan
05-05-2013, 04:16 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the live feed worked for me, but the picture was almost unwatchably bad. And the sound went out several times. So you probably got almost as much information from live stats.

It eventually worked for me, but I had about the same viewing experience.

burnspbesq
05-05-2013, 05:11 PM

No kidding. The attendance for Duke-Marquette? 4,202 at Hart Park in Wauwitosa (Marquette doesn't have an on-campus stadium yet).

Great year for first-year programs. Marquette wins five games. High Point's win over Towson looks pretty good after the Tigers won the Colonial tournament. The USC women went 8-10 and made their conference tournament.

Expectations are going to be high for Furman, Richmond, and BU next year.

burnspbesq
05-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Gotta feel good for Mike Pressler, leading Bryant to the tournament in its fifth year as a D1 program.

Kevin Cassese leads Lehigh to their second consecutive Patriot League championship.

Providence goes from 2-12 last year to 8-8 in Chris Gabrielli's first year as head coach.

DST Fan
05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Gotta feel good for Mike Pressler, leading Bryant to the tournament in its fifth year as a D1 program.

Kevin Cassese leads Lehigh to their second consecutive Patriot League championship.

Providence goes from 2-12 last year to 8-8 in Chris Gabrielli's first year as head coach.

Do you give Duke any chance of getting a seed?

bob blue devil
05-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Great Year for the Duke Coaching Tree

I gotta believe Pressler does not consider himself part of the Duke family or "Coaching Tree". Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't feel right for us at Duke to be attaching ourselves to his success in any way.

ForkFondler
05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Duke 19 Marquette 3 Final!!!!

The girls won earlier today over Boston Univ 18 9

GO Duke!!!!:D

My nephew had a good time:

ForkFondler
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
How 'bout them Titans? After losing to the Marquette team that Duke just drubbed, they were 2-9, and in the bottom ten in the computer rankings. But after beating Canisius to earn the fourth and last spot in the conference tournament that they went on win, they are in the tourney with a 5-9 record.

burnspbesq
05-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Do you give Duke any chance of getting a seed?

I don't, and neither does Patrick Stevens in his final bracket for Lacrosse Magazine, but Terry Foy of Inside Lacrosse has Duke as his number seven seed.

We'll find out shortly after the top of the hour.

doctorhook
05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't, and neither does Patrick Stevens in his final bracket for Lacrosse Magazine, but Terry Foy of Inside Lacrosse has Duke as his number seven seed.

We'll find out shortly after the top of the hour.

Looks like he was right.