PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Declares Selves FB Coastal Division Champs, distributes player rings

-bdbd
04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-santions-don-t-stop-unc-giving-players-173007070.html

In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship," which predated actual national awards and NCAA tournaments (even in a year when they were considered maybe the fourth or fifth best team nationally), UNC has outdone themselves yet again. They have distributed gaudy "2012 Coastal Division Champs" rings to all of their FB players. I for one regard this as just plain dishonest and simply dishonorable.

Pathetic.

PSurprise
04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I like the fact it says "Smart" on them. At least all the words are spelled right.

brevity
04-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Well, the Ohio State University gave (http://college-football.si.com/2013/04/12/ohio-state-shows-off-12-0-champions-rings-for-undefeated-2012-season/) their players rings for their 12-0 season, which sort of makes sense. The Buckeyes were allowed to play those games, and they won them. Players have no control over what happens beyond their play on the field (and their actions off the field). NCAA violations are as out of reach to them as strength of schedule.

But wait! Those rings also say "Champions"; that word means, or at least strongly suggests, recognition by a third party. The Big Ten allowed Wisconsin to represent the Leaders Division in their football championship, which is pretty good evidence that they did not recognize Ohio State as the champions of anything. Declaring oneself a champion does not work.

By comparison, UNC's rings are just dopey. Take away the silly self-coronation -- the ACC did not recognize them as Coastal Division champions -- and you're left with rings that just say "8-4". Is it worth it to the athletic department to manufacture those rings? Is morale really that low?

I hope Duke (and State) fans react to this to amusement rather than outrage. After all, UNC players have been specifically told that because no one else recognizes the championship, these rings only give them magical powers when they're on campus.

oldnavy
04-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Wow! So, you win a DIVISON and that is now ring worthy?? What's next, winning season tie clips?

Tripping William
04-30-2013, 05:34 PM
I hope Duke (and State) fans react to this to amusement rather than outrage. .

The State fans I know are reacting with amusement, calling this Carolina's version of a "parade" (a major dig at all the grief State received from their baby-blue counterparts after Amato's team defeated Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl to cap an 11-3 season).

Duvall
04-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Well, the Ohio State University gave (http://college-football.si.com/2013/04/12/ohio-state-shows-off-12-0-champions-rings-for-undefeated-2012-season/) their players rings for their 12-0 season, which sort of makes sense. The Buckeyes were allowed to play those games, and they won them. Players have no control over what happens beyond their play on the field (and their actions off the field). NCAA violations are as out of reach to them as strength of schedule.

But wait! Those rings also say "Champions"; that word means, or at least strongly suggests, recognition by a third party. The Big Ten allowed Wisconsin to represent the Leaders Division in their football championship, which is pretty good evidence that they did not recognize Ohio State as the champions of anything. Declaring oneself a champion does not work.

The Ohio State rings appear to say "LEADERS" at the top and "CHAMPIONS" at the bottom, which suggests that the Buckeyes are at least laying a quiet claim to the Leaders Division title, much like UNC.

Unless the rings actually say "LEADERS" and "CHAMPIONS" separately, with no claim to the division title. ("No, money down!")

ynotme32
04-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Let's all remember here this is a school that hangs banners in the dome for basically anything. I'm sure they will have a final 32 banner hanging next year for this past years achievement. ;)

brevity
04-30-2013, 05:46 PM
The Ohio State rings appear to say "LEADERS" at the top and "CHAMPIONS" at the bottom, which suggests that the Buckeyes are at least laying a quiet claim to the Leaders Division title, much like UNC.

Unless the rings actually say "LEADERS" and "CHAMPIONS" separately, with no claim to the division title. ("No, money down!")

Awesome reference.

But by saying "CHAMPIONS" it's laying a claim to something, and they are the champions of nothing. It doesn't matter whether "CHAMPIONS" is connected to "LEADERS" or not. (I would be okay with a "LEADERS/12-0/DIVISION" ring. That just says they played in the Leaders Division and won all 12 of their games, which is accurate.)

wilko
04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
"I cheated my posterior off and all I have to show for it is this stupid ring"....

BD80
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-santions-don-t-stop-unc-giving-players-173007070.html

In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship," which predated actual national awards and NCAA tournaments (even in a year when they were considered maybe the fourth or fifth best team nationally), UNC has outdone themselves yet again. They have distributed gaudy "2012 Coastal Division Champs" rings to all of their FB players. I for one regard this as just plain dishonest and simply dishonorable.

Pathetic.

The idiot "student" athletes are all trying to sell the rings on ebay at the same time, deflating the price. Fortunately for them, many of the listings are spelled incorrectly, in many different ways, so they don't all pop up together in searches.

The players were "supposed" to wait until they met boosters at organized events and reap a profit from the rings, but the players confused the events with classes and assumed they weren't supposed to go.

OldPhiKap
04-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Carolina sucks.

Exhibit 48.

Merlindevildog91
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
No doubt they will swap them for tattoos, since the rules that apply to everyone else in the NCAA, by definition, do not apply to them.

Newton_14
04-30-2013, 08:53 PM
LOL. That cesspool west of Durham masquerading as a "University" gets sadder by the day. They are living on borrowed time...

I imagine the rampant rules breaking to keep the non-student athlete's eligible has not slowed down one bit either. If you believe you are above the rules (which this latest stunt clearly shows) you will not conform to them in any area, on the field or in the classroom.

mkline09
04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Is there perhaps a special engraving that says vacated on those?

plimnko
04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
i haven't seen the rings. is the inscription in latin or swahili?

DukieInKansas
04-30-2013, 09:25 PM
i haven't seen the rings. is the inscription in latin or swahili?

I believe the inscription is: Pwani Idara ya Mabingwa

hurleyfor3
04-30-2013, 09:29 PM
In an act of sheer arrogance, UNC has done it again. As if we weren't all disgusted by the plain arrogance and hutspah of the self-awarded "Helms National Championship,"

In case you need more to be annoyed about, recall Roy's practice of ordering a net-cutting ceremony whenever unc wins a regular season conference "championship".

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-30-2013, 09:33 PM
My NC tax dollars hard at work again. It's not arrogant. It's just plain stupid.

DU82
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
In case you need more to be annoyed about, recall Roy's practice of ordering a net-cutting ceremony whenever unc wins a regular season conference "championship".

To be fair, so does Coach P. We cut down the nets in Cameron after beating the Smurfs this past season. The ACC recognizes the regular season leader as a "champion." Look up and read our banners.

Reilly
04-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Give credit where it's due.

UNC survived a gauntlet: they cheated, were ineligible for a bowl, ineligible for the conference championship, and they won 5 ACC games. That's ring worthy, I believe. And their lineman who survived being tied up by those gals on Franklin Street a couple years ago should get watches.

Lord Ash
04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
No

Shame.

Amazing.

badgerbd
04-30-2013, 11:14 PM

By comparison, UNC's rings are just dopey. Take away the silly self-coronation -- the ACC did not recognize them as Coastal Division champions -- and you're left with rings that just say "8-4". Is it worth it to the athletic department to manufacture those rings? Is morale really that low?

I hope Duke (and State) fans react to this to amusement rather than outrage. After all, UNC players have been specifically told that because no one else recognizes the championship, these rings only give them magical powers when they're on campus.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/57475/osu-psu-can-be-official-division-champs

"The Big Ten confirmed to me Tuesday that both Penn State and Ohio State can be named official Leaders division champions this season -- and, in Penn State's case, during the next three seasons -- despite the postseason ban. The teams even would earn a trophy from the league for winning the division. The division representative in the Big Ten title game would not have the "champion" label if it finishes second or third in the standings. "

Eternal Outlaw
04-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Am I remembering correctly that because Seth was a transfer he couldn't get a ring for the 2010 National Championship? If so, how in blazes can it be legal for UNC to hand out a 100ish rings to players who by no NCAA book will be attributed to winning any title?

OldPhiKap
04-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Am I remembering correctly that because Seth was a transfer he couldn't get a ring for the 2010 National Championship? If so, how in blazes can it be legal for UNC to hand out a 100ish rings to players who by no NCAA book will be attributed to winning any title?

One institution has integrity. The other can go to Hell.

Coballs
04-30-2013, 11:26 PM
They never miss an opportunity to celebrate unrecognized championships at UNC. Who could forget about this classic...3355

Olympic Fan
05-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Just to be clear, there is a difference between the Ohio State and UNC "championships"

The Big Ten ruled that while Ohio State was not eligible to participate in the Big Ten championship game, they COULD compete for the Leaders Division championship.

The ACC specifically ruled that UNC could NOT compete for the Coastal Division championship.

Issuing a ring (and I'm told they have erected billboards around the state, proclaiming their "championship") is an act of supreme chutzpah.

brevity
05-01-2013, 01:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/57475/osu-psu-can-be-official-division-champs

"The Big Ten confirmed to me Tuesday that both Penn State and Ohio State can be named official Leaders division champions this season -- and, in Penn State's case, during the next three seasons -- despite the postseason ban. The teams even would earn a trophy from the league for winning the division. The division representative in the Big Ten title game would not have the "champion" label if it finishes second or third in the standings. "

The Big Ten ruled that while Ohio State was not eligible to participate in the Big Ten championship game, they COULD compete for the Leaders Division championship.

I don't feel bad about being wrong here; click the link to see an ESPN guy with far more resources make the same mistake. But I cannot understand why the Big Ten would make this separation. Ohio State can win the division, and the Big Ten will award them a championship trophy for it, but they will send Wisconsin to the championship game and NOT recognize them for anything... unless they win that game? Had Wisconsin lost to Nebraska, they would have attained nothing that they could realistically put on a T-shirt. It's like in baseball, when a wild card team loses in the Division Series. They made the postseason, but didn't capture anything.

So I stand corrected. Congratulations to the Ohio State University for their 12-0 season and Leaders Division championship. Congratulations to the ACC for having more integrity than the Big Ten.

ForkFondler
05-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Pack Pride Product:

ns7
05-01-2013, 10:19 PM
The first tiebreaker is head to head, the second is division record, and the third is record against other division teams, best to worst.

In this case the tiebreaker would come down to the third tie breaker. Since UNC lost to Duke, they would be eliminated.

I suppose they could claim that they were co-champions. But when half of the division are "champions", is that really something worth claiming?

Dev11
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I just want to point out that our team received Belk Bowl rings even though they lost the game. Let's not cast our stones too aggressively.

Jarhead
05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I just want to point out that our team received Belk Bowl rings even though they lost the game. Let's not cast our stones too aggressively.

They are participation rings, not championship rings.

Duvall
05-02-2013, 10:55 AM

But at least Duke was actually *in* the Belk Bowl. UNC was, by rule, not Coastal Division champions. If Duke received rings that called them the Belk Bowl winner, that would be comparable, and also wrong.

quahog174
05-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I believe the inscription is: Pwani Idara ya Mabingwa

I believe the last word should read "MaBLINGwa"

weezie
05-02-2013, 08:26 PM

I say we load the catapult and cast away. It's up to the sponsors to determine what they want to give participating teams.
I'm proud of our guys and the rings.

ForkFondler
05-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I say we load the catapult and cast away. It's up to the sponsors to determine what they want to give participating teams.
I'm proud of our guys and the rings.

Yeah, plus we should be able to break more glass than we lose.

alteran
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Pathetic.

Maybe they can stack the rings next to their Helms Trophy.