PDA

View Full Version : Favorite silly/fun movies?

Lord Ash
04-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Okay, on the heels of Jason's traditional polls... what are some of your favorite silly/fun movies?

I was thinking back to the original Pirates of the Carib movie, and it was REALLY a rollicking good time, and for me was totally unexpected.

Another in a similar vein, for me, was the original Mummy. Sort of out of nowhere, but campy and a good deal of fun.

Now, the sequels for these movies were pretty terrible, but the originals were great fun.

So... what are some other silly/fun movies that you've enjoyed?

camion
04-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I'll start with vintage Mel Brooks.

The Producers (1968) - the original with Zero Mostel.

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Young Frankenstein (1974)

And - not Mel Brooks

Night of the Comet - my favorite schlock horror B movie - They didn't call them zombies, but maybe they were.

Lord Ash
04-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Ohhh... see, I view those as just great movies:D

CDu
04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I would include "The Princess Bride" and "Clue", but if we are limiting to movies that aren't good, then nevermind that.

camion
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
I'll re-up with Night of the Comet then. It is absolutely not a great movie, but it tickles me.

davekay1971
04-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm sure I've mentioned some of these in another thread, but here are some movies that I consider to be a fun, silly good time but not to be taken seriously:

Army of Darkness (and Evil Dead 2, of course) - "This...is my BOOMSTICK."

Big Trouble in Little China - "I'm gonna tell you about an accident and I don't wanna hear act of God."

The Rock...the one Michael Bay movie I will openly confess to enjoying. "I'm a chemical superfreak."

Hot Tub Time Machine - "This is the 80s. We had Reagan and AIDS. Let's get the [ ] out of here."

Grosse Point Blank - "Thanks for the pen."

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I'll re-up with Night of the Comet then. It is absolutely not a great movie, but it tickles me.

I have unintentionally watched this movie many times. Such an awful, but memorable movie. I also agree with you on Young Frankenstein, which is definitely my favorite Mel Brooks movie.

I nominate any of the Zucker brothers movies, but especially Airplane!, Top Secret (my favorite of theirs), Naked Gun, and Kentucky Fried Movie.

Blue in the Face
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
especially Airplane!, Top Secret (my favorite of theirs), Naked Gun, and Kentucky Fried Movie.
This is exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread title. Silly, dumb and often crude, but damm these movies are funny.

Rich
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
This is exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread title. Silly, dumb and often crude, but damm these movies are funny.

I still remember seeing a Young Frankenstein / Kentucky Fried Movie double feature as a kid in my local theater. Man, was that a fun afternoon. I guess the double feature went the way of the Dodo bird.

devildeac
04-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Holy Grail.

rsvman
04-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Real Genius. Don't know why I like this movie so much.

Another vote for Top Secret, too. Absolutely hilarious.

Deslok
04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Some good movies already mentioned(though, in some cases, they are just good movies and not guilty pleasures), so I'll add a few:

Flash Gordon - my favorite of the "So bad its good" movie category
Dune - Arrakis Dune desert planet... is he the one? the sleeper must awaken.... why are we always whispering(and making me laugh unintentionally)
Zoolander - I'm not a Ben Stiller fan, but this has so much perfect stupidity
Original Pink Panther movies - your thief is an Englishmen, Sir Charles Phantom the notorious Litton! -
Ghostbusters - Next time if someone asks if you are a god, you say YES
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Gengis also likes Twinkies for their massive sugar rush
Best in Show - I went to an obedience place one...
Strange Brew - oh man, I gotta take a whiz

OldPhiKap
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Blues Brothers
Animal House
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Caddyshack

-jk
04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

No! The soundtrack alone takes that off the "silly" list.

-jk

OldPhiKap
04-30-2013, 09:41 PM
No! The soundtrack alone takes that off the "silly" list.

-jk

"Jake? Delmar? You two's dumber than a bag of hammers."

"You will see many things. You will see a cow on the roof of a cotton house."

"I got sent up for practicing law without a license."

"Do . . . . Not. . . . .seek . . . .the . . . .treasure"

"We . . . .thought . . . . You . . . Was . . . . A . . . .toad"

" the LAW? The law's a -- human institution."

" I don't mean to tell tales out of school, but a man in there will pay you five dollars to sing into his can"

"I guess I'm the only one who remains unaffiliate"

"I made up my mind and counted to three"

"By any chance, are any of you smithies? Or studied in the metalerogical field?"

"I'm a Dapper Dan man, {}#%{}#%}{#"

"She r u n n o f t"

"Uncle Wah said to shoot at anyone serving papers"

"I'm with you fellers"

"Who called me baby face?!?"

"Excuse me, friend. But your folding money's come unstuck"

"Oh George, not the livestock"

"Best thing you've ever done is get hit by that train"

"We've been kicked out of the Woolworth's. not sure if it is all of them, or just the one"

"Maybe we need a midget of our own."

That, plus the music, = my favorite movie ever.

JBDuke
04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
"Over!?!? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

OldPhiKap
04-30-2013, 11:19 PM
"Over!?!? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

The only appropriate rejoinde:

http://www.popscreen.com/v/62KWE/Animal-House-710-Movie-CLIP-Deltas-on-Trial-1978-HD

NSFW, but you knew that.

Why I decided to go to law school after a Toga Party at BOG or maybe ATO. Somewhere on that part of West Campus.

sue71, esq
05-01-2013, 12:10 AM
+1 for: The Blues Brothers, Animal House, Caddyshack, Airplane, Young Frankenstein

Add: My Cousin Vinny, Meatballs

sue71, esq
05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
And I should add that I've never found Dumb & Dumber funny. Maybe one scene... but that's it. Otherwise, I really didn't laugh.

Go ahead, troll away.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Fletch.

wavedukefan70s
05-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Clerks,chasing Amy,the hangover ,something about Mary .that was my recent ones.my older ones are raiders of the lost arc,fast times at ridgemont high,a Christmas story,ferris buellers day off.as well as a few others already mentioned.

OldPhiKap
05-01-2013, 07:24 AM
I forgot to add Talladega Nights. But feel free to substitute your favorite Ferrell.

rthomas
05-01-2013, 08:44 AM
It doesn't get much sillier than "The Party" with Peter Sellers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfWvWRqrAig

BD80
05-01-2013, 08:44 AM
And I should add that I've never found Dumb & Dumber funny. Maybe one scene... but that's it. Otherwise, I really didn't laugh.

Go ahead, troll away.

Some bits were worth while: "I fell off the jetway. ... Again"

CrazyNotCrazie
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I agree with many of the above, especially the Zucker brothers movies and Animal House. I would add the Vacation movies with Chevy Chase and Coming to America.

CameronBornAndBred
05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
The A-Team. They flew a tank and blew up a whole cargo ship with one rocket propelled grenade. So bummed out they didn't make a sequel.

camion
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Going way back I want to add Harvey (1950) with Jimmy Stewart.

It's silly, but it isn't a guffaw movie. It is gentle in its humor and I am always left smiling.

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood – "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

JBDuke
05-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Another classic, even further back, is "Arsenic and Old Lace". But that's a great movie, even if it is silly in places. "Harvey"'s pretty darned good, too.

OldPhiKap
05-01-2013, 11:03 PM
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

cannonball Run.

Hooper and/or Smokey and the Bandit.

JBDuke
05-02-2013, 07:43 AM
...Smokey and the Bandit.

Oh, heck yes. I love "Smokey and the Bandit", even with all its many flaws. And if you've only seen it on censored TV, and you're of sufficient age, then watch the unedited version. Jackie Gleason's profane tirades are the best part of the movie, and heavily edited for regular broadcast viewings. Very much not politically correct, either. And the sequels were awful.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Jackie Gleason's profane tirades are the best part of the movie, and heavily edited for regular broadcast viewings.

"When I get home, the first thing I'm gonna do is slap your mamma."

That may be the only one I can quote.

rsvman
05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Fletch.

Endorse. Love this movie. I've seen it WAY too many times.

Reilly
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
... Smokey and the Bandit.

"Smokey and the Bandit" set the all-time record for longest-running movie at the movie theatre in my hometown. I didn't grow up on the Upper West Side.

Dev11
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Fletch.

So much so, you reference it in your handle.

Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo?

Reisen
05-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Big Trouble in Little China

/thread

Tom B.
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Anything by John Landis, Ivan Reitman or Harold Ramis in the late 1970s and early 1980s

Animal House
The Blues Brothers
Caddyshack
National Lampoon's Vacation

and two that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Stripes

and

Trading Places

Reilly
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Ghostbusters

Dev11
05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I think we've hit all the silly comedies.

Give me Hellboy and the entire Matrix trilogy. Yep, I said it. I love watching rubber Keanu Reeves versus rubber Hugo Weaving in the rain, surrounded by an endless supply of still Hugo Weavings.