PDA

View Full Version : Nike EYBL #2 - Hampton, VA

tommy
04-29-2013, 01:56 AM
I wasn't there this weekend, and can't provide any info learned via subscription services/private boards, etc., but just from tweets and other public information put out there I thought I'd try to synthesize the best I can.

This was the second of the four EYBL events. Same 40 teams as last weekend. Prospects galore, and all the top programs were there to see and be seen by (almost) all the best high school players in the nation. Coach K and Wojo were there. Nate James was at another event watching Kevon Looney, as Looney's team again is not involved in this Nike event.

Jahlil Okafor again did not play due to a sprained ankle. Grayson Allen stepped onto the floor for just a minute in two of his team's games, but he essentially did not play either due to his injury.

Four players received the most attention from K: Tyus Jones, Justise Winslow, 2016 Harry Giles, and 2015 Elijah Johnson. No surprise for Jones, Winslow, and Johnson, but K was there for all of young Mr. Giles' games, including one that started at 8 AM. Wojo was up bright and early for that one too, as were Roy and, I think, Calipari as well -- though I think he got there late. Seems like K is leaving no doubt in Giles' mind that Duke wants in on this one. I know, I know. The kid is in 9th grade.

K and Wojo watched top wing target Justise Winslow all weekend, and he did not disappoint. He is just solid in all phases. There were a lot of other elite programs watching Justise's games too.

The whole world was there watching Tyus Jones dominate this weekend. K was front and center, but as you'd expect, so were Izzo and Calipari. From accounts I've read, Tyus was just clutch down the stretch and just found ways to lead his team to wins in several tight games.

K and Wojo spent some time watching Elijah Thomas as well, and he didn't disappoint either. Pretty consistent numbers for the young big man. I don't know if we are still recruiting Thomas' teammate Austin Grandstaff, but he had a solid weekend as well. Shooter.

As for Devin Booker, Duke did not watch his first game (same as last weekend) but was there for at least some of his later games. They certainly were there to see him match up against Winslow's Houston Hoops squad.

In an "only in recruiting" moment, K and Wojo and Cal continued to watch the Chicago-based MacIrvin Fire squad play, even though Okafor wasn't even playing. Just to show their love for Jahlil in any event, I guess. They did get to see Cliff Alexander dominate for MacIrvin -- we're not involved with him, but he's a man in the paint.

Here are some numbers:

Tyus Jones:
1st game - 24 pts, 8 assists, 3 of 4 from 3; 2nd game - 23 pts, 10 assists, 2 of 4 from 3; 3rd game - 22 points, 4 assists; 4th game - 27 points, 10 assists, 10-10 FT's; 5th game 23 points, 5 assists, 11-12 FT's. Pretty good, huh? Kid is something else. What a get he would be.

Justise Winslow:
1st game - 13 pts, 5 reb's, 6-9 FG; 2nd game 11 pts, 6 reb's, 5 assists; 3rd game 18 pts, 5 reb's, 9 assists; 4th game 18 points, 7 reb's; 5th game 13 points, 6 reb's, 4 assists. Pretty gosh dern consistent. His Houston Hoops teammate, Justin Jackson (UNC commit) apparently played very, very well this weekend.

Stanley Johnson:
1st game 28 points, 15 reb's, 6 offensive reb's, 5 assists, 14-16 FT's. Nice line, huh? 2nd game - 16 points, 10 reb's; 3rd game - 13 points, 12 reb's, 5-16 FG's; 4th game 10 points, 14 reb's, 4-15 FG's; 5th game 23 points, 10 reb's. A couple of bad shooting games, but I know he defends super hard, and he always manages to put up numbers too. I think he'd be a great get for us. Sounds like we watched him some, but not all weekend.

Elijah Thomas:
1st game 18 points, 6 reb's, 8-10 FG. 2nd game 17 points, 12 reb's, 6 blocks; 3rd game 12 points, 7 reb's; 4th game 20 points, 10 reb's, 7-8 FG; 5th game 10 points, 6 reb's, fouled out. FT shooting was better than last weekend. Whole game is only going to get better. Sign him up, coach!

Devin Booker:
1st game 8 points, 6 reb's; 2nd game 18 points, 7 reb's, 6 turnovers; 3rd game 25 points on 9-20 FG, 5 turnovers; 4th game 17 points, 3 turnovers; 5th game 16 points. Handle needs work, as I saw last weekend, but I still really like this kid's game.

Theo Pinson:
1st game 7 points, 5 reb's, 6 turnovers; 2nd game 16 points, 7 reb's, 3rd game 19 points, 5 reb's, 3-9 FT's; 4th game 16 points, 4 reb's, 6-9 FG; 5th game 10 points, 2-7 FG.

Jalen Lindsay:
1st game 15 points, 5-12 FG; 2nd game 11 points, 3-7 FG; 3rd game 4 points, 1 assist, 0 reb's, 0-4 FG: 4th game 3 points, 0-2 FG: 5th game 5 points, 2-6 FG, only played 10 min's.

Austin Grandstaff:
1st game 11 points, 9 assists; 2nd game 15 points, 4-12 FG; 3rd game 16 points, 6 reb's, 7-14 FG; 4th game 25 points, 6 reb's, 5-9 on 3 pointers; 5th game 7 points, 3-12 FG. Lots of people praising his game this weekend. Again, don't know if we're even still recruiting him.

weezie
04-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Good stuff tommy! Is this always held in Norfolk? Is there a west coast game too?
I would have enjoyed going.

tommy
04-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Good stuff tommy! Is this always held in Norfolk? Is there a west coast game too?
I would have enjoyed going.

Session #1 was in beautiful (not really) Garden Grove, CA last weekend, so that's it for west coast action on this Nike circuit. The two other sessions are in Dallas and Minneapolis in May, and they all lead up to the Peach Jam, which is the culmination of the whole thing in July in South Carolina. There are various other Nike sponsored events through the summer too.

Also, I had heard that Grayson Allen was not going to play this weekend due to his injuries, but for some reason the stats on the EYBL site showed that he played a minute in two of his team's games. Those stats are not always the most reliable, and here again, they were off, as Allen did not play at all. Strange that they would have him playing even a minute, so sorry I should've gone with what I really thought was the case instead of their numbers.