PDA

View Full Version : Duke in the NFL Draft

antseg
04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Sean Renfree was just taken by the Falcons with the 43rd pick of the 7th round.

Congrats Sean!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Sean Renfree was just taken by the Falcons with the 41st pick of the 7th round.

Congrats Sean!

Hallelujah! Now some team needs to step up and draft Conner.:cool:

antseg
04-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Just want to say everyone has great things to say about Sean:

Mel has fought for Sean and called him a steal multiple times before the draft.
Pollian just said that he is very accurate.
McShay just called him a gamer and credited him with "winning games he shouldn't have won"

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Just want to say everyone has great things to say about Sean:

Mel has fought for Sean and called him a steal multiple times before the draft.
Pollian just said that he is very accurate.
McShay just called him a gamer and credited him with "winning games he shouldn't have won"
I think ESPN had ranked Sean in the top 10 QBs. I was disappointed that Mike Glennon was drafted before Sean.:(

loran16
04-27-2013, 08:09 PM
ESPN had Sean at #11.

Shocked that Vernon wasn't drafted...guess that 40 time hurt.

dukelifer
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
ESPN had Sean at #11.

Shocked that Vernon wasn't drafted...guess that 40 time hurt.

He will still get a shot. Maybe the Mannings will get him a chance

wavedukefan70s
04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
His time was better than manti te'o's time.i had hoped dallas would have taken renfree at some point.then for sr to sneak in some time and take romo's spot.i had big dreams for s.r. And dallas.

Merlindevildog91
04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Conner has signed with the Raiders.

CDu
04-27-2013, 09:44 PM
His time was better than manti te'o's time.

To be fair, he should have a better 40 time than Te'o. Vernon is a WR. Te'o plays MLB. WR are expected to be a good bit faster than MLB.

That said, I am not sure why he didn't get drafted. His 40 time wasn't that bad, and he certainly produced in college. Perhaps the name on his helmet and the color of his skin worked against him?

antseg
04-27-2013, 09:51 PM
To be fair, he should have a better 40 time than Te'o. Vernon is a WR. Te'o plays MLB. WR are expected to be a good bit faster than MLB.

That said, I am not sure why he didn't get drafted. His 40 time wasn't that bad, and he certainly produced in college. Perhaps the name on his helmet and the color of his skin worked against him?

His 40 time probably put him in the 6th-7th round discussion and, once that happens, it is easy to fall out of the draft.

Another possibility (I have no evidence for this) is that he/his agent pushed to be a free agent instead of being drafted in the 7th round and requested that teams not draft him. I have heard of this happening and the fact that he got picked up so quickly after the draft probably means that teams were calling him with a FA deal during the 7th round. Again, I have no evidence for it, but it could be a possible explanation that makes us feel better than "teams didn't think he was worth it."

CDu
04-27-2013, 10:14 PM
His 40 time probably put him in the 6th-7th round discussion and, once that happens, it is easy to fall out of the draft.

Another possibility (I have no evidence for this) is that he/his agent pushed to be a free agent instead of being drafted in the 7th round and requested that teams not draft him. I have heard of this happening and the fact that he got picked up so quickly after the draft probably means that teams were calling him with a FA deal during the 7th round. Again, I have no evidence for it, but it could be a possible explanation that makes us feel better than "teams didn't think he was worth it."

Hmm, for whatever reason I saw on one site that he ran a 4.54. But on NFL.com, he's listed at 4.68. Now, granted a 0.14 second difference is next to nothing (can't even snap your fingers twice in that time), but if teams were basing it on a 4.68 (and not a 4.54) then I agree with you. That would almost certainly be the reason he wasn't drafted. 4.54 wouldn't have been a deal breaker. There were WR taken in Round 3 that ran a similar time.

-bdbd
04-28-2013, 12:22 AM

It IS puzzling. 'thought both guys would get picked up (earlier). But what matters in the end is simply do they make the team. I suspect that they both have the right stuff to make a roster come Sept.

As for the bolded comment above, I suspect there's some truth to this. He was signed, sealed and delivered to the Raiders so quickly afterwards that you'd think something had been in the works... (possibly even before the draft). Now the real work begins.

wavedukefan70s
04-28-2013, 05:31 AM

Ill have to disagree aj greens average time was 4.48 with a high of 4.56 or 4.58.i believe your vertical plays a huge role.to be able to outreach the other guy.then again if I was that knowledgable I'd be coaching .
I'm happy they both got on with nfl teams.

BD80
04-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Somewhat ironic given the Raiders penchant for speed (and head cases).

Merlindevildog91
04-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Think of it this way on Conner: he could be drafted late in the last round. He would have to go to the team that drafted him and would have to take whatever contract and signing bonus they offered. Or, if undrafted, he could make a decision to go to the place that offered the most in terms of opportunity, or signing bonus and contract, or (preferably) both.

sporthenry
04-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Hmm, for whatever reason I saw on one site that he ran a 4.54. But on NFL.com, he's listed at 4.68. Now, granted a 0.14 second difference is next to nothing (can't even snap your fingers twice in that time), but if teams were basing it on a 4.68 (and not a 4.54) then I agree with you. That would almost certainly be the reason he wasn't drafted. 4.54 wouldn't have been a deal breaker. There were WR taken in Round 3 that ran a similar time.

If I remember correctly, the 4.54 was his unofficial time that was given right after so probably had human error. They went back and changed it. As to the .14 not meaning much, I disagree. If instead he was .14 quicker he'd have run a 4.4 and been one of the fastest receivers there. It certainly affected his draft position

CDu
04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the 4.54 was his unofficial time that was given right after so probably had human error. They went back and changed it. As to the .14 not meaning much, I disagree. If instead he was .14 quicker he'd have run a 4.4 and been one of the fastest receivers there. It certainly affected his draft position

On paper, the 0.14 means a lot. But in reality, the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 is two quick snaps of your fingers. On any single run, that could be entirely due to a slow/fast reaction time. In other words, I think scouts make too big a deal about 0.1 or 0.2 tenths of a second on a particular run of the 40.

Acymetric
04-28-2013, 04:09 PM
On paper, the 0.14 means a lot. But in reality, the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 is two quick snaps of your fingers. On any single run, that could be entirely due to a slow/fast reaction time. In other words, I think scouts make too big a deal about 0.1 or 0.2 tenths of a second on a particular run of the 40.

Something you can't judge based on 40 times: in the NFL you can jam the receiver...don't imagine Connor having any problems with that adjustment.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Think of it this way on Conner: he could be drafted late in the last round. He would have to go to the team that drafted him and would have to take whatever contract and signing bonus they offered. Or, if undrafted, he could make a decision to go to the place that offered the most in terms of opportunity, or signing bonus and contract, or (preferably) both.
Good point! So often we know little of the back story. We may agonize or analyze about what happened or why. Once the draft is over, the most important fact is that Conner (or any player) has a team to try out with. It's the opportunities which open up and performance on the field that counts now.;)

If there's any way to succeed, Conner will find it and maximize it.

johnb
04-28-2013, 04:17 PM

I'm not sure how an agent would prevent teams from picking a particular player, though I can certainly see teams calling during the draft and making a persuasive case to particular players who are about to go undrafted and that they should sign a FA contract because there's room on the team for that specific player...

Channing
04-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Congrats to Conner but I would have loved to see him with the NYG or Broncos. If not that , maybe some place with an established QB like NE or NO.

In any event good luck to Conner. We know nobody will outwork him.

sagegrouse
04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
FWIW, here is how Duke stacks up against its ACC brethren in terms of NFL draft picks. I've kept the stats for the last 13 years, 2001-2013. The good news is that we just had our best draft. The bad news is that we have one-tenth the number of draft picks of the next lowest ACC schools (Wake and BC).

Read 'em and weep:

Sch No. Ave.

DU 2 0.15
BC 21 1.62
WF 21 1.62
GT 26 2.00
MD 30 2.31
VA 33 2.54
ST 38 2.92
CL 43 3.31
NC 43 3.31
VT 55 4.23
FS 70 5.38
MI 78 6.00

Makes a 6-7 record look pretty good, doesn't it?

For the record, FSU had 11 picks in the 2013 draft; UNC had five, and Clemson had four. Neither BC nor Ga. Tech had anyone picked.

sagegrouse

antseg
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
FWIW, here is how Duke stacks up against its ACC brethren in terms of NFL draft picks. I've kept the stats for the last 13 years, 2001-2013. The good news is that we just had our best draft. The bad news is that we have one-tenth the number of draft picks of the next lowest ACC schools (Wake and BC).
sagegrouse

To be honest, I am not as concerned with the past numbers as I am looking forward. You have to be visible to get recruits ethically, and you have to win to become visible.

If the stats for the next ten years are as bad as the last ten years, then we have a problem. But if, five years ago, you said Duke was going to have a few players seriously considered for the draft you would be considered overly optimistic.

I think the past season and the fan support for that team has me hoping for better days.

EDIT: As for the other stuff being discussed here: 1. An agent can always request a player not be taken. This is often a tale told during the later rounds of the draft and after the fact, but I cannot say I know of specific instances where a player has declined being taken. I imagine that coming out would be bad for both the team and the player. Many times near the end of the draft teams will offer FA deals to players if they do not get drafted. Pollian talked about doing this for a kicker that ended up getting picked. Apparently, these FA deals are worth more than whatever you get when drafted in the7th round (a bagged lunch? Maybe the coach will record a message for your voicemail?)

2. I like the fact that Vernon got drafted by a team that doesn't have an established QB. He could work as a security blanket and grow with a QB. Manning/Brees/etc. already have "their guys." Maybe him going to the Giants or Cowboys would be a good pick, since they both have starting WRs who came from no where.

Listen to Quants
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM

Read 'em and weep:

Sch No. Ave.

DU 2 0.15
BC 21 1.62
WF 21 1.62
GT 26 2.00
MD 30 2.31
VA 33 2.54
ST 38 2.92
CL 43 3.31
NC 43 3.31
VT 55 4.23
FS 70 5.38
MI 78 6.00

Makes a 6-7 record look pretty good, doesn't it?

For the record, FSU had 11 picks in the 2013 draft; UNC had five, and Clemson had four. Neither BC nor Ga. Tech had anyone picked.

sagegrouse

Thanks for this ... I guess. It looks to me like an encompassing and objective measure of the (football) athletic quality of the Duke players. Not at ACC level over that period.

Dev11
04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
2. I like the fact that Vernon got drafted by a team that doesn't have an established QB. He could work as a security blanket and grow with a QB. Manning/Brees/etc. already have "their guys." Maybe him going to the Giants or Cowboys would be a good pick, since they both have starting WRs who came from no where.

I actually don't like this fact. I wish Conner was working in an established system with proven NFL coaches and talent, but hey, he's got a shot and he has the ability to make the most of it. Good luck to him and to Sean with their new teams.

1999ballboy
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Looks like Renfree was the first Duke player to be drafted since OG Drew Strojny in 2004. Glad to see him make the NFL, especially after witnessing that scary injury against Cincy.

I too wanted to see Vernon taken by the Giants after hearing Eli's comments about him and seeing the videos of them working together. But Oakland probably has more of a need for WRs. He may not be buried too deep on their bench, actually. And I bet either Tyler Wilson or Matt Flynn ends up doing OK at QB.