PDA

View Full Version : Allerik Freeman

Mhgraham
04-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Feel free to move if there is another thread about this.

According to ESPN, Allerik Freeman was granted release from national letter of intent with UCLA. Duke had him on their 2014 board early. Charlotte kid, but played last year at Findlay in NV. Possibility Duke may reach back out to him? They were one of 5 schools to offer. Now, only 4 schools left on the board. 6'3-6'4 SG. I know we have that position filled, especially with Andre coming back. Could be great for depth? Just wanted to see here everybody's thoughts.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/9210986/ucla-bruins-grant-ben-howland-recruit-allerik-freeman-release

burns15
04-27-2013, 10:05 AM

According to ESPN, Allerik Freeman was granted release from national letter of intent with UCLA. Duke had him on their 2014 board early. Charlotte kid, but played last year at Findlay in NV. Possibility Duke may reach back out to him? They were one of 5 schools to offer. Now, only 4 schools left on the board. 6'3-6'4 SG. I know we have that position filled, especially with Andre coming back. Could be great for depth? Just wanted to see here everybody's thoughts.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/9210986/ucla-bruins-grant-ben-howland-recruit-allerik-freeman-release

If Allerik Freeman is a 2014, then Andre Dawkins doesn't matter to him because he will be gone by then. The fact that we will have Matt Jones and Grayson Allen is a bit more important for him

Duvall
04-27-2013, 10:22 AM
If Allerik Freeman is a 2014, then Andre Dawkins doesn't matter to him because he will be gone by then. The fact that we will have Matt Jones and Grayson Allen is a bit more important for him

Freeman is 2013, so he overlaps with Dawkins, Sulaimon, Jones and Allen. Don't see this happening.

BlueDevilBrowns
04-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Freeman is a member of the 2013 class, not 2014, meaning he'll be a freshman for the 2013/14 season.

Freeman at one point was a top 25-ish prospect but has since fallen in the rankings, as far as 80 or so according to one of the major scouting services(I don't remember which).

You never know, but I think Freeman would be more likely to go to UNC than us, as we don't have a need at the position currently.

Mhgraham
04-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry for the typo. I meant to write 2013.

UNC is not even in the mix for Freeman. Duke is the only legit North Carolina school recruiting him. I wonder if he wants to be close to home. There has not been much activity from Ohio State or Kansas.

I just figured it would be great addition to our depth. After next year, Sulaimon could be gone. I am not saying he is comparable to him, but he could help with depth issues.

Just some thoughts.

CDu
04-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Sorry for the typo. I meant to write 2013.

UNC is not even in the mix for Freeman. Duke is the only legit North Carolina school recruiting him. I wonder if he wants to be close to home. There has not been much activity from Ohio State or Kansas.

I just figured it would be great addition to our depth. After next year, Sulaimon could be gone. I am not saying he is comparable to him, but he could help with depth issues.

Just some thoughts.

You might not have noticed, but we have 12 players already on scholarship, and our staff is currently HEAVILY pursuing a big man (since we have only one C on the roster and that guy will be out all summer following foot surgery). Adding Freeman would eliminate any chance of getting said big man.

Also, given that we have 3 more highly-regarded options for 2013 (Sulaimon, Dawkins, and Jones) and at least 2 more highly-regarded options for 2014 (Jones and Allen) at SG, I can't see Freeman wanting to come to Duke. And given that we have such depth at his position, I can't see why Duke would want to add Freeman at the expense of our chances of landing a big man this year.

I won't say that there is a 0% chance of this happening, but I'd say that it is awfully close to 0%.

Olympic Fan
04-27-2013, 12:22 PM
FWIW, Dave Telep reports that Ohio State is the favorite to land Freeman ... he lists Minnesota and Miami as possibilities.

Miami looks like it will get Angel Rodriguez, a Puerto Rican native, who was a pretty good guard for Kansas State last year, who is transferring closer to home (and expects to play immediately).

And, in a related note, some speculated on this board about Rutgers transfer Eli Carter ... he's officially down to Maryland or Florida.

BigWayne
05-07-2013, 07:39 PM
And the winner is.......Baylor

http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-mbb/2013/5/7/4309520/baylor-gets-a-late-gem-in-top-100-sg-allerik-freeman

johnb
05-08-2013, 07:21 AM
And the winner is.......Baylor

http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-mbb/2013/5/7/4309520/baylor-gets-a-late-gem-in-top-100-sg-allerik-freeman

I've been to Waco, and it's no Los Angeles.