PDA

View Full Version : Duke women capture ACC golf title

jimsumner
04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Portions of ACC Press Release, with link for more info.

"Duke captured its second-straight Atlantic Coast Conference women’s golf title, and 18th overall, with a 24-stroke win over NC State at the 2013 Championship played at Sedgefield County Club.

The third-ranked Blue Devils turned in the day’s best round of 13-over par 297 on a windy 6,210-yard, par 71 Donald Ross course to claim the team title with a 54-hole total of 30-over 882. NC State posted its best finish ever, finishing second with a team score of 54-over 906.

Virginia placed third for the second time in three years with a 57-over 909 and Florida State was fourth at 67-over 919. Miami and North Carolina tied for fifth with 924 totals, Wake Forest (925) was seventh, followed by Maryland (944), and Boston College (946).

“It never looked easy to me today,” said head coach Dan Brooks. “The greens firmed up and they were a little bit tough to read. I thought we might be losing ground and we ended up getting a bigger lead. It was great.”

Virginia’s Brittany Altomare (71-70-76) maintained her second-round lead, carding a 4-over 76, and claimed the individual title with a 54-hole total of 4-over 217. In becoming the first Cavalier to capture the ACC individual title, the Shrewsbury, Mass., junior had four birdies and 42 pars en route to edging Duke’s Laetitia Beck (74-74-72) by two strokes.

Three players tied for third place at 8-over 221 – Duke’s Alejandra Cangrejo and Lindy Duncan and Miami’s Leticia Ras-Anderica.

Final results of the 2013 Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Golf Championship can be found at:

http://theacc.co/WGolf13Results3rd

MCFinARL
04-21-2013, 08:14 PM
One golfer in second and two tied for third? That is very impressive depth. Congratulations to the team for a very impressive win.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Congrats to our ladies! Well done! :cool:

And as noted in another thread, Kevin Streelman finished tied for 3rd in the Hilton Head tourney on the PGA!!

It was actually a good weekend for other local golfers, as Raleigh's Web Simpson finished 2nd in the HHI tourney, and Smithfield's Neal Lancaster had a good week on the Senior Tour down in Georgia, earning $31K. That's his best payday in a while, although he's made the cut on the "big tour" a couple of times this season. :cool:

sagegrouse
04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
The Duke women won by 24 strokes over three rounds, where the best four scores are counted. That's a two-stroke margin over the second place State team. I figured Duke was the only viable team in the ACC, but I was wrong. [Gasp!] UNC (#11), UVa (#15), and State (#21) are all ranked nationally.

Duke is ranked #3 nationally, following Southern California and Alabama.

Mayne a chance to do something special at the Nationals? The Nationals are scheduled May 21-24 (Tues-Friday) in Athens, Ga. The regionals are Thur-Sat, May 9-11, but the site depends on the seedings nationally. The three regional locations are Penn State (east), Ohio State (central), and U. of Colorado (west). I reckon Duke would play at the Penn State regionals, but I dunno for sure.....

sagegrouse

jimsumner
04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Congrats to our ladies! Well done! :cool:

And as noted in another thread, Kevin Streelman finished tied for 3rd in the Hilton Head tourney on the PGA!!

It was actually a good weekend for other local golfers, as Raleigh's Web Simpson finished 2nd in the HHI tourney, and Smithfield's Neal Lancaster had a good week on the Senior Tour down in Georgia, earning $31K. That's his best payday in a while, although he's made the cut on the "big tour" a couple of times this season. :cool:

RE: Webb Simpson. He grew up in Raleigh, went to college at Wake Forest and lives in Charlotte. So, all of the state's three largest metro regions have a claim on him.

But I still do a double-take when the TV folks give him to Charlotte. I understand it. But he's still a Raleigh guy to me.

duketaylor
04-22-2013, 09:09 PM
On top of the Duke women winning the ACC, the Duke men won their 4th tourney this year, in Raleigh, which ties the record for most wins in a season for the Duke men. I applaud both squads and wish them well in their tourneys coming up in the next few weeks. It's a good time to be a Duke golfer and a Duke golfing alum;) GO DUKE!!!

roywhite
04-22-2013, 09:31 PM
The Duke women won by 24 strokes over three rounds, where the best four scores are counted. That's a two-stroke margin over the second place State team. I figured Duke was the only viable team in the ACC, but I was wrong. [Gasp!] UNC (#11), UVa (#15), and State (#21) are all ranked nationally.

Mayne a chance to do something special at the Nationals? The Nationals are scheduled May 21-24 (Tues-Friday) in Athens, Ga. The regionals are Thur-Sat, May 9-11, but the site depends on the seedings nationally. The three regional locations are Penn State (east), Ohio State (central), and U. of Colorado (west). I reckon Duke would play at the Penn State regionals, but I dunno for sure.....

sagegrouse

Yeah, could be a chance to make a run at another NCAA championship.

In a possible preview of NCAA challengers, a number of top teams recently competed at a tournament in Tempe, AZ; Blue Devils Finish Second at ASU Invitational (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22558&SPID=1838&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207216562&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Alabama had an amazing final round to win the tournament; they'll be tough.

fitimi1
04-23-2013, 01:18 PM

sagegrouse

Your locations for the regionals were for last year. This year's regional championships are to be held at Auburn, Al (east), Oklahoma University, OK (central) and Stanford, CA (west). Dates are the same as you indicated.

Having been fortunate enough to see the ladies play several times this year, they have as good a shot at winning the Nationals as other teams. There are probably a dozen teams that can win it this year. Lots and lots of parity. If you live in the area, the young ladies would really appreciate your support.

sagegrouse
04-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Your locations for the regionals were for last year. This year's regional championships are to be held at Auburn, Al (east), Oklahoma University, OK (central) and Stanford, CA (west). Dates are the same as you indicated.

Having been fortunate enough to see the ladies play several times this year, they have as good a shot at winning the Nationals as other teams. There are probably a dozen teams that can win it this year. Lots and lots of parity. If you live in the area, the young ladies would really appreciate your support.

Thanks for the corrections. --sage