PDA

View Full Version : Duke interested in Eli Carter?

jimsumner
04-21-2013, 04:49 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/duke-florida-among-those-reaching-out-for-eli-carter/

He's a 6-2 guard, with two years of eligibilty left.

Chicken Little
04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
I haven't seen this kid play, but his stat line tells me he's a shoot-first guard. His FG% seems a little low(.384) for a primary scorer role. By comparison, noone on last year's Duke squad shot lower from the floor other than Marshall Plumlee. Unless this guy is a lock-down defender(and the numbers don't seem to indicate that), I'm thinking we "miss" on this one. If the coaches bring him in, I have all the faith in the world that they see something I don't, but the stats make me wonder what his role would be on a Duke team. Adding to my skepticism is that he and his father seem to be interested in being told that he'll be the man at his destination.

Greg_Newton
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Such a bizarre development. Not even sure what it means.

Double DD
04-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Despite being a sophomore, he's only a month younger than Ryan Kelly.

Kedsy
04-21-2013, 07:57 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/duke-florida-among-those-reaching-out-for-eli-carter/

He's a 6-2 guard, with two years of eligibilty left.

He has to sit out a year before he can play for a new team, right?

miramar
04-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Despite being a sophomore, he's only a month younger than Ryan Kelly.

So Carter would sit out a year and come back as a 23 year old junior? Curiously, Tarik Black will start out as a 21 year old graduate student, whether at Duke or somewhere else.

At least his year off would give Carter time to work on his shooting. There were some questions about Austin Rivers' offensive efficiency, but Austin shot 43.3%/36.5% on threes vs. Carter's 38.4%/32%.

MCFinARL
04-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Such a bizarre development. Not even sure what it means.

Agreed. If he plans to seek a waiver to play next season (which it seems unlikely, but not impossible, he would get), it's completely inexplicable. Assuming he wouldn't play until 2014, it would seem to suggest that a) they have given up on finding a player like Tarik Black to use the available scholarship on who could play next season, and b) they think Rasheed will be leaving after next year and they will need another shooting guard with Matt Jones. B) seems possible, though I'm not sure why a transfer would be the best solution to that problem; a) is possible as well, but makes me wonder why Duke reached out to Black in the first place. But what do I know?

I note the Zagsblog article makes a point of saying that Carter is Kyrie Irving's best friend--perhaps they think this is a courtesy exploration of possibilities, more than anything else.

I feel pretty bad for Eddie Jordan. With what he has left to work with, he may find it even harder to win at Rutgers than he did with the Wizards.

dukejim1
04-21-2013, 08:13 PM
ESPN has him as a good fit for Bobby at Buffalo. Bobby hired Carter's former AAU coach and he played for Bobby's dad in high school. That would be a huge get for Buffalo and makes more sense than Duke

Greg_Newton
04-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Sounds like the interest might be more from his camp than Duke's, and Zags just ran with something. That would make more sense.

tommy
04-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Sounds like the interest might be more from his camp than Duke's, and Zags just ran with something. That would make more sense.

Yeah, I mean, has he heard of Tyus Jones? What about Quinn Cook? Rasheed Sulaimon? This guy thinks he's gonna come in and play ahead of both a two-year starter at the point going into his fourth year in the program AND the top point guard recruit in the land? Or else beat out a junior Rasheed Sulaimon? Gimme a break.

OldPhiKap
04-21-2013, 11:12 PM
If he is good friends with Kyrie, I think we have good info on him. Quinn and Rasheed could both be gone after next season, so I do not ave a problem with looking at an experienced guard for 2014-15.

Class of '94
04-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Agreed. If he plans to seek a waiver to play next season (which it seems unlikely, but not impossible, he would get), it's completely inexplicable. Assuming he wouldn't play until 2014, it would seem to suggest that a) they have given up on finding a player like Tarik Black to use the available scholarship on who could play next season, and b) they think Rasheed will be leaving after next year and they will need another shooting guard with Matt Jones. B) seems possible, though I'm not sure why a transfer would be the best solution to that problem; a) is possible as well, but makes me wonder why Duke reached out to Black in the first place. But what do I know?

I note the Zagsblog article makes a point of saying that Carter is Kyrie Irving's best friend--perhaps they think this is a courtesy exploration of possibilities, more than anything else.

I feel pretty bad for Eddie Jordan. With what he has left to work with, he may find it even harder to win at Rutgers than he did with the Wizards.

No inside knowledge here; but I don't think he would have to sit a year based on all the issues that have happened at Rutgers this year, which lead to the firing of the coach. Could obviously be wrong considering Rodney left when the school made a coaching change and still had to redshirt at Duke; but I just think the Rutgers situation will be looked at differently by the NCAA and Carter will be allowed to play next year at whichever school he decides to attend.

Kedsy
04-22-2013, 12:28 AM
No inside knowledge here; but I don't think he would have to sit a year based on all the issues that have happened at Rutgers this year, which lead to the firing of the coach. Could obviously be wrong considering Rodney left when the school made a coaching change and still had to redshirt at Duke; but I just think the Rutgers situation will be looked at differently by the NCAA and Carter will be allowed to play next year at whichever school he decides to attend.

Well, next year it would be hard to see this guy making Duke's rotation, so if Duke reached out to him you'd have to think it was for 2014-15. And even then he'd seem to need some early departures to see decent playing time. Similar to most who have posted on this thread, I imagine this will lead to nothing, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Greg_Newton
04-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I mean, has he heard of Tyus Jones? What about Quinn Cook? Rasheed Sulaimon? This guy thinks he's gonna come in and play ahead of both a two-year starter at the point going into his fourth year in the program AND the top point guard recruit in the land? Or else beat out a junior Rasheed Sulaimon? Gimme a break.

My theory is that K got tired of flying to Apple Valley, MN every week and was just like, "I mean, hey... a point guard's a point guard, right?" :p

brevity
04-22-2013, 04:03 AM
So Carter would sit out a year and come back as a 23 year old junior?

This seems like a pro career concern, not a college one. Why would Duke, or any other transfer destination, care about his age? Health, durability, and chemistry are much bigger factors.

budwom
04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Not going to happen.

CDu
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
This would make a whole lot more sense if it is Carter reaching out to Duke and not the other way around (especially if he's friends with Irving/Thornton/Hairston). He's an okay player, but he wouldn't crack the rotation next year, and unless Sulaimon and Hood both leave early AND we don't get at least 1 of Tyus Jones, Grayson Allen, and Devin Booker, he's not likely to have a huge role in 2014-15 either. Something tells me there was some miscommunication regarding Zagoria's information here.

loran16
04-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Carter's an odd choice. He was nearly all of Rutgers' offense last year - using basically 30% of their possessions and taking 30% of their shots. So that explains a little of his bad shooting #s.....but they really aren't good shooting #s. A poor 3 point shooter, a not great 2 point shooter, higher turnover rate than assists......

Unless his D is really really good, I'm not seeing how he's an asset.

Starter
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Full disclosure, I'm kind of an Eli Carter apologist who wrote this (http://dimemag.com/2011/12/the-book-of-eli-rutgers-freshman-flips-the-script-on-florida/).

A couple thoughts here -- when I heard Eli was going to transfer, I of course considered whether Duke could be a fit and ruled it out most the same as all of you. It seems like Duke has their rotation set, etc. That said, anybody who's a proven volume scorer on the Division 1 level and has no problem advancing to the forefront has value to me. Eli is a tough kid from Paterson who isn't afraid to step up and take the big shot, he had some big-time moments despite playing for a perpetually moribund program, and I can definitely think of a few scholarship players I'd have gladly replaced with Carter this past season. (Freak injury aside.) His age isn't a deterrent any more than Kenny Kadji's was for Miami. And I didn't think his father's "showcase" comment meant he expects Eli to show up and be The Man wherever he goes. I look at it more like Seth Curry came to Duke not to be the focus from Day 1, but more to be a part of a big-time program and enhance his visibility.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in Eli's lousy shooting percentage. Teams keyed on Eli like crazy at Rutgers, for obvious reasons, once they figured out he was by far their best weapon. It would simply be a much different situation if he played for Duke. which will presumably always have several other legit scoring threats, not to mention a non-dysfunctional coaching staff and program. I would hope to compare it to Dahntay Jones, who shot 42 percent for Rutgers before transferring to Duke and shooting like 50 percent his first season after he became eligible.

All that said, I still don't necessarily think they're going to bring him on. It just doesn't feel like a fit. But I don't necessarily think it's a bad fit if it does happen.

loran16
04-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Full disclosure, I'm kind of an Eli Carter apologist who wrote this (http://dimemag.com/2011/12/the-book-of-eli-rutgers-freshman-flips-the-script-on-florida/).

A couple thoughts here -- when I heard Eli was going to transfer, I of course considered whether Duke could be a fit and ruled it out most the same as all of you. It seems like Duke has their rotation set, etc. That said, anybody who's a proven volume scorer on the Division 1 level and has no problem advancing to the forefront has value to me. Eli is a tough kid from Paterson who isn't afraid to step up and take the big shot, he had some big-time moments despite playing for a perpetually moribund program, and I can definitely think of a few scholarship players I'd have gladly replaced with Carter this past season. (Freak injury aside.) His age isn't a deterrent any more than Kenny Kadji's was for Miami. And I didn't think his father's "showcase" comment meant he expects Eli to show up and be The Man wherever he goes. I look at it more like Seth Curry came to Duke not to be the focus from Day 1, but more to be a part of a big-time program and enhance his visibility.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in Eli's lousy shooting percentage. Teams keyed on Eli like crazy at Rutgers, for obvious reasons, once they figured out he was by far their best weapon. It would simply be a much different situation if he played for Duke. which will presumably always have several other legit scoring threats, not to mention a non-dysfunctional coaching staff and program. I would hope to compare it to Dahntay Jones, who shot 42 percent for Rutgers before transferring to Duke and shooting like 50 percent his first season after he became eligible.

All that said, I still don't necessarily think they're going to bring him on. It just doesn't feel like a fit. But I don't necessarily think it's a bad fit if it does happen.

Meh, to use a more recent comparison, Seth Curry was used at a similar amount (more shots, less possessions) at Liberty in his freshman year. He still was efficient, unlike Carter, because he didn't turn the ball over, and his shooting, while not good, wasn't BAD. Curry was just as focused on, if not more than Carter, and shot 34.7% from 3 (bad) and 48.8% from 2 (not good). Carter shot 32% from 3 (bad) and 42.9% from 2 (Awful).

I'm not asking every transfer to be Seth Curry, but I'm just saying the volume shooting doesn't fully explain his bad #s

Starter
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Meh, to use a more recent comparison, Seth Curry was used at a similar amount (more shots, less possessions) at Liberty in his freshman year. He still was efficient, unlike Carter, because he didn't turn the ball over, and his shooting, while not good, wasn't BAD. Curry was just as focused on, if not more than Carter, and shot 34.7% from 3 (bad) and 48.8% from 2 (not good). Carter shot 32% from 3 (bad) and 42.9% from 2 (Awful).

I'm not asking every transfer to be Seth Curry, but I'm just saying the volume shooting doesn't fully explain his bad #s

Carter might have faced a slightly better level of competition in the Big East than Curry did in the Big South, no?

Also, Curry averaged 2.3 turnovers at Liberty. Eli was 2.8 at Rutgers. Like, Curry had higher efficiency ratings, but it's not like night and day here.

Pghdukie
04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Not going to happen.

DITTO; not happening. Too many varibles too contend with.

loran16
04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Carter might have faced a slightly better level of competition in the Big East than Curry did in the Big South, no?

Also, Curry averaged 2.3 turnovers at Liberty. Eli was 2.8 at Rutgers. Like, Curry had higher efficiency ratings, but it's not like night and day here.
That's not a small difference - though you're correct that Curry had worse competition....but i'd bet defenders focused more upon Curry at Liberty - they literally had no other threats - than Carter at rutgers.

Regardless, without a clear fit for him, he's not the caliber of player that Duke would make room for.

sagegrouse
04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
DITTO; not happening. Too many varibles too contend with.

That's not a small difference - though you're correct that Curry had worse competition....but i'd bet defenders focused more upon Curry at Liberty - they literally had no other threats - than Carter at rutgers.

Regardless, without a clear fit for him, he's not the caliber of player that Duke would make room for.

Are you re having the same problem I am having? We will have 11 really good players (proven and potential) next year. We usually have a rotation that is only 7-8 deep.

What is the problem for which adding yet another player is the solution?

sagegrouse

Kedsy
04-23-2013, 12:18 PM
We will have 11 really good players (proven and potential) next year.

Which of our 12 recruited scholarship players next year do you not consider to be "really good"?

BD80
04-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Which of our 12 recruited scholarship players next year do you not consider to be "really good"?

You Dukies act so superior with your higher math skills (counting beyond 10)

jimsumner
04-23-2013, 01:08 PM
There's another variable here. Duke currently has 12 scholarships allocated for next year (not counting Zafirovski). Duke clearly is interested in Tarick Black, who would use up the final scholarship. So, if Black comes aboard, there isn't any room for Carter.

Unless someone bails.

And for the record, Carter would still count towards the 13-scholarship limit, even if he sat out a season.

sagegrouse
04-23-2013, 01:29 PM

None. I just can't count. -- sage

CDu
04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
There's another variable here. Duke currently has 12 scholarships allocated for next year (not counting Zafirovski). Duke clearly is interested in Tarick Black, who would use up the final scholarship. So, if Black comes aboard, there isn't any room for Carter.

Unless someone bails.

And for the record, Carter would still count towards the 13-scholarship limit, even if he sat out a season.

This is the biggest reason that I don't see Carter as a fit. There is more of a need at C (especially if Marshall's foot surgery delays his development) than there is at SG. And even next year, there's the potential that SG is not on our list of needs (if Sulaimon and/or Jones stick around).

Kedsy
04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
(if Sulaimon and/or Jones stick around).

Why wouldn't Jones stick around?

CDu
04-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Why wouldn't Jones stick around?

In this day and age, you should never assume that any player will be around for more than the next season. They can go for any reason, even in spite of clear availability of playing time (see Gbinije, Purvis).

I'd certainly expect Jones to be back, but I wouldn't bet anything of value on it. Just the reality of college basketball these days.

But yes, Sulaimon is probably the more questionable returnee.

Frobisher
04-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I mean, if we are trying to transfer in guards for 2014-15, Trevor Lacey is the most talented of the pool...
Not sure if he's a Duke fit, though.

But I'm of the mind we should not be looking at transferring in guards at all. A Jones/Jones (nickname ideas, anyone?) back-court for 2014-15 would make me very happy. heck, even if we lose Hood and Parker, I'm liking Murphy and AJ as our Forwards and a healthy Marshall as our 5. And that's before we even talk about the rest of the potential recruits.

Before the Marshall injury news, I didn't even want us looking at Black, but now I may be coming around.
So, given Marshall's injury and expected depletion of summer development time, is this when people start bringing up the idea of a 6th year for him and the second medical redshirt?

CDu
04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
So, given Marshall's injury and expected depletion of summer development time, is this when people start bringing up the idea of a 6th year for him and the second medical redshirt?

You mean for next year? I can't imagine that we could justify that with the NCAA. And he isn't eligible for a medical redshirt for this past season.

jimsumner
04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
A sixth year/second redshirt would likely be granted only if the first redshirt were the result of an injury.

Which is not the case with Marshall.

I mean, if we are trying to transfer in guards for 2014-15, Trevor Lacey is the most talented of the pool...
Not sure if he's a Duke fit, though.

But I'm of the mind we should not be looking at transferring in guards at all. A Jones/Jones (nickname ideas, anyone?) back-court for 2014-15 would make me very happy. heck, even if we lose Hood and Parker, I'm liking Murphy and AJ as our Forwards and a healthy Marshall as our 5. And that's before we even talk about the rest of the potential recruits.

Before the Marshall injury news, I didn't even want us looking at Black, but now I may be coming around.

tommy
04-23-2013, 06:42 PM
But I'm of the mind we should not be looking at transferring in guards at all. A Jones/Jones (nickname ideas, anyone?) back-court for 2014-15 would make me very happy.

I'm a huuuuuge Tyus Jones fan, and think he's going to be a great college player, and really, really want him for this program. But a Cook-Sulaimon backcourt for 2014-15 would make me pretty happy too.

Duvall
04-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Eli Carter's list of schools: Maryland, Florida, Memphis, Creighton, Buffalo & Pittsburgh. (https://mobile.twitter.com/Eli_Carter5/status/327148579405824001?p=v)

-bdbd
04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Eli Carter's list of schools: Maryland, Florida, Memphis, Creighton, Buffalo & Pittsburgh. (https://mobile.twitter.com/Eli_Carter5/status/327148579405824001?p=v)

So, obviously he'll never play in the ACC in any event (unless at Pitt).

"The schools that I am considering are Maryland, Florida, Memphis, Creighton, Buffalo & Pittsburgh !!"
2:54 a.m. Thu, Apr 25

Up kinda late on a school night, no? Buffalo - isn't that Bobby Hurley's school?
(Aside Q: how many Buffalo's are there? I know there is a SUNY Buffalo, but is there a separate U of Buffalo? And which has Hurley?)

Duvall
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Buffalo - isn't that Bobby Hurley's school?
(Aside Q: how many Buffalo's are there? I know there is a SUNY Buffalo, but is there a separate U of Buffalo? And which has Hurley?)

It is one school, the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (http://www.buffalo.edu/about_ub/ub_at_a_glance.html), and Bobby Hurley is their coach.

jimsumner
04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
It is one school, the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (http://www.buffalo.edu/about_ub/ub_at_a_glance.html), and Bobby Hurley is their coach.

I would love for Hurley to have some talent to work with.

One would think the Allen committment closes the door on whatever interest Duke had with Carter.

Starter
04-24-2013, 08:00 PM
I would love for Hurley to have some talent to work with.

One would think the Allen committment closes the door on whatever interest Duke had with Carter.

I'd think so too. As I said, I never saw Carter as a fit. But I would have welcomed the chance to be proven wrong given Carter's proven scoring acumen, flair for the dramatic and ability to contribute right away. (I would have to think he'd have an immediate leg up in both areas on Grayson Allen.) But you can't have everything.

I'm with you, I hope Hurley gets him. Doesn't seem likely, but still.

I find the presence of Florida on his list interesting. They took Rosario from Rutgers previously. And they've seen Carter at his best, he scored 31 in a home win over Florida two years ago.

antseg
04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Carter is heading to Florida, according to his Twitter:

""proud to announce that I will be continuing my career at the University of Florida!!"

-bdbd
04-30-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2013/04/30/transfer-target-eli-carter-chooses-florida-over-maryland/

Post confirms it is FLA. MD doesn't sound happy.

Here is a Turtle
04-30-2013, 08:37 PM
I was kinda hoping we wouldn't get him. I don't know if I'm ready to relive the Stoglin year again. I know a lot of Md fans who felt the same way. Maryland already has a bunch of 2 guards. If we get Barton from Memphis who is more a lead guard for one year I'd be ecstatic. That allows us to not have to rush Roddy Peters back from surgery so quickly and put him in the line up. Picking up a big like Black couldn't hurt either.