PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 16, @Rutgers 7

burnspbesq
04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Solid performance all around for the Blue Devils; it was 16-4 before Rutgers' starters got three against Duke's scout-team guys.

Five goals for Jordan Wolf, who now has 103 for his career. Four assists for Case Matheis. Fowler won the battle of top-five face-off guys.

Best player on the field tonight: Rutgers freshman keeper Kris Alleyne, who finished with 19 saves, some of which were of the near-miraculous variety.

Next up: The Evil Empire, in its lair, Friday night in the ACC Tournament.

chrishoke
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
We are a scoring machine.

MCFinARL
04-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Solid performance all around for the Blue Devils; it was 16-4 before Rutgers' starters got three against Duke's scout-team guys.

Five goals for Jordan Wolf, who now has 103 for his career. Four assists for Case Matheis. Fowler won the battle of top-five face-off guys.

Best player on the field tonight: Rutgers freshman keeper Kris Alleyne, who finished with 19 saves, some of which were of the near-miraculous variety.

Next up: The Evil Empire, in its lair, Friday night in the ACC Tournament.

Not meaning any disrespect to the Duke goalies, who work hard and do a fairly good job overall--but when/how can Duke get a goalie who can come up with performances like this? Not only did he actually stop 19 of 35 shots on goal, but from the part of the game I saw (online, admittedly not the best camerawork) it looked like he had precious little help from his defense. Can this level of play be taught, or is some of it just instinctive?

BD80
04-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Not meaning any disrespect to the Duke goalies, who work hard and do a fairly good job overall--but when/how can Duke get a goalie who can come up with performances like this? Not only did he actually stop 19 of 35 shots on goal, but from the part of the game I saw (online, admittedly not the best camerawork) it looked like he had precious little help from his defense. Can this level of play be taught, or is some of it just instinctive?

Sometimes, more "help" from the defense yields a lower save %, but fewer goals. When the defense is active, it will block more shot attempts or force shots wide or high, which means fewer shots on goal. However, it can be more difficult for the goalie to track shots in a crowd, which can lead to a higher percentage of goals per shots on goal.

MCFinARL
04-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Sometimes, more "help" from the defense yields a lower save %, but fewer goals. When the defense is active, it will block more shot attempts or force shots wide or high, which means fewer shots on goal. However, it can be more difficult for the goalie to track shots in a crowd, which can lead to a higher percentage of goals per shots on goal.

Thanks. Very good points. I have enjoyed watching lacrosse for many years, but with no playing experience, I sometimes have trouble figuring out the nuances.

burnspbesq
04-21-2013, 09:34 PM
If the coaching staff thought we needed an immediate upgrade in goal, I would expect us to be making a huge push for Warren Hill, who was voted the outstanding keeper at the U-19 world championship last year (he played for the Iroquois). He's in his second year at Onondaga Community College. He's been linked to Marquette (Scott Rogers, the former ND keeper, is an assistant there), but I don't think that's cast in stone yet.

Haven't heard anything like that. Kyle was an outstanding, heavily recruited, HS keeper, and I expect him to continue to improve.