PDA

View Full Version : Dukie Kevin Streelman making waves on PGA Tour

sagegrouse
04-19-2013, 03:50 PM
In the RBC Heritage tournament Kevin is at -6, tied with three others as the second round draws to a close. The tournament is played the week after the Masters on Hilton Head, SC at the Harbour Town links.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Our man from Duke rallied on the second nine and ended at -2 for the day, trailing the leader by three shots. Leader Charley Hoffman was all over the course but sink every putt. We'll see, but I doubt that Hoffman will ever have another day like today on the greens.

Kevin is in the next-to-last pairing and could rally for another win.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
04-21-2013, 01:47 PM
I despair of Kevin's chances. He left his Duke blue shirt in his suitcase, unlike at other tournaments, including his win at Tampa.

And sure enough, he hit a tree on his opening drive.

sage

sagegrouse
04-21-2013, 04:44 PM
I despair of Kevin's chances. He left his Duke blue shirt in his suitcase, unlike at other tournaments, including his win at Tampa.

And sure enough, he hit a tree on his opening drive.

sage

A windy day on the coast of SC. No need to call my brother in Charleston and ask about the fishing.

As I feared, Kevin is struggling a wee bit -- two over after 12 holes and tied for six. The only players among the leaders who are under par are the British Islanders, Graeme McDowell and Luke Donald, both at -2.

sagegrouse

jimsumner
04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Ended up tied for third. That'll help in all the aggregate standings.

Brutal conditions today. Reminded me of a British Open--sorry THE OPEN--at one of those seaside courses.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Congrats Kevin! Nice finishing nine!

sagegrouse
04-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Kevin played today's round at +1, well below the average for the field on this wind-swept sunday. After a lot of difficulties on the front nine (+3), he played the difficult back nine in two under par.

As I predicted, the "Wizard of the Greens" from Saturday, Charley Hoffman, shot 77 today (+6) and finished T-6 after leading by two shots at the beginning of the round.

Kevin is now fourth in the FedEx Cup race, which is now used to measure the season as opposed to money winnings (where he is also top ten). A good season for our man. Now if he would only wear the right colored shirt on Sunday..............

sagegrouse

jimsumner
04-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Kevin played today's round at +1, well below the average for the field on this wind-swept sunday. After a lot of difficulties on the front nine (+3), he played the difficult back nine in two under par.

As I predicted, the "Wizard of the Greens" from Saturday, Charley Hoffman, shot 77 today (+6) and finished T-6 after leading by two shots at the beginning of the round.

Kevin is now fourth in the FedEx Cup race, which is now used to measure the season as opposed to money winnings (where he is also top ten). A good season for our man. Now if he would only wear the right colored shirt on Sunday..............

sagegrouse

With all the money he's been earning lately, he should be able to afford a tournament's worth.

As if these guys purchase their own shirts. :)

sagegrouse
05-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Kevin Streelman finished T6 at the Wells Fargo event at Quail Hollow in Charlotte, three shots behind the leaders. He was in the fight all week and "coulda been a contender" except for the double bogey on the 18th on Saturday.

Kevin is #5 on the FedEx Cup list for the year. He has four top tens in 2013: a first, a third, a sixth, and a tenth. Winnings total $1.86 million. Great to have a Dukie to root for!

Quail Hollow usually gets a top field because of the quality of the course, and it will be the site of the 2017 PGA Championship. But did anyone notice how bloody awful the greens were at Quail Hollow this week? Closeups revealed a splotched and patched surface unlike any I have seen on the PGA Tour. There have been weather issues, I know, and the Club is going to replace the bent grass greens with Bermuda in a couple of months, but still....

sagegrouse

Kdogg
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Quail Hollow usually gets a top field because of the quality of the course, and it will be the site of the 2017 PGA Championship. But did anyone notice how bloody awful the greens were at Quail Hollow this week? Closeups revealed a splotched and patched surface unlike any I have seen on the PGA Tour. There have been weather issues, I know, and the Club is going to replace the bent grass greens with Bermuda in a couple of months, but still....

sagegrouse

The scuttlebutt was some players dropped out because of the greens. There was a great chip in from on the green by Sergio Garcia because he couldn't get a clean put. There was not much officials could really do about it. It's been one of the wettest Winters/Springs ever in the Carolinas. Paired with the unseasonably cool winter, it has created a soggy mess everywhere. I'd give anything for three straight days of sun. It's like living in London.

Mal
05-06-2013, 11:56 AM
The scuttlebutt was some players dropped out because of the greens. There was a great chip in from on the green by Sergio Garcia because he couldn't get a clean put. There was not much officials could really do about it. It's been one of the wettest Winters/Springs ever in the Carolinas. Paired with the unseasonably cool winter, it has created a soggy mess everywhere. I'd give anything for three straight days of sun. It's like living in London.

And a chorus goes up, the sound of a million extremely tiny stringed instruments, wafting down from the upper Midwest where the tulips and crocuses are just showing up in May. ;)

mr. synellinden
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Kevin Streelman finished T6 at the Wells Fargo event at Quail Hollow in Charlotte, three shots behind the leaders. He was in the fight all week and "coulda been a contender" except for the double bogey on the 18th on Saturday.

Kevin is #5 on the FedEx Cup list for the year. He has four top tens in 2013: a first, a third, a sixth, and a tenth. Winnings total $1.86 million. Great to have a Dukie to root for!

sagegrouse

I watched some of the tournament and that was the first thing I noticed. I have never seen greens look that bad. It usually means the greens will be dead by the end of the summer. What if this happens in 2017 and the greens are unplayable by mid-August when the PGA is held? Maybe the switch to Bermuda will avoid that, but the PGA has to be very concerned.

Reisen
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Funny, this topic came up this morning on a conference call. Our coworkers in Carolina were talking about all the rain, and then the talk turned to the Greens at Quail Hollow.

Even the non-golfers in NYC were aware, so this must be a real black eye for the tournament.

jimsumner
05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
And a chorus goes up, the sound of a million extremely tiny stringed instruments, wafting down from the upper Midwest where the tulips and crocuses are just showing up in May. ;)

Well, magnificent springs are one of the ways we compensate for brutal summers.

But we aren't having a magnificent spring. Barely tolerable, if that. But we'll still have the brutal summer.

So, there's that.

And yes, the greens were truly hideous.

As an aside, any reason Streelman isn't on the main board? Seems like he better belongs there. Any former Duke athlete is on-topic. In my opinion.

duketaylor
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Kevin has played quite well lately and overall the last two years. He appears very comfortable on tour and I'd guess he'll win more events. So COOL to see some Dukies making noise in golf. Hope this continues. Wanna see Joey O and Nathan Smith make some runs. GO DUKE!!

Jim3k
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Nice Yahoo story (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--mystery-golfer-emerges-from-shadows-for-first-pga-tour-victory-010547183.html) on the 22 year old playoff winner at Quail Hollow, Derek Ernst. Streelman even gets a mention. FWIW, Ernst is younger than Streelman.

Mal
05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Well, magnificent springs are one of the ways we compensate for brutal summers.

But we aren't having a magnificent spring. Barely tolerable, if that. But we'll still have the brutal summer.

Oh, I remember them wistfully every March, when I recall wearing t-shirts around campus at the same date, and rolling the Common Room tv out to the quad to watch tourney games on the bench. Nonetheless, I trust you'll forgive my lack of sympathy this Spring, when up here we've had everything from six inches of snow in Des Moines in May, to rivers a foot above record flood levels for two weeks in northern Illinois, to three or four separate storms depositing appreciable snow in Minneapolis, and tornadoes all over the place, all the while setting "coldest April ever" records in pretty much every town. I note that Charlotte had a 12 day stretch in April where the high temperature was 79 or above all but one day and .6 inches of rain fell. Where I am, we broke 70 once before the last day of the month, we got 7 inches of rain and half the houses in the metropolitan area had flooded basements after a 4+ inch storm over 12 hours. That, is "barely tolerable." Up here, we suffer our brutal Winter for the payoff of a beautiful Summer, but Spring is supposed to provide a little bit of respite, and signal to people that they can come out of their caves and breathe fresh air and hear some birds singing, even if they still have to wear a fleece. No such luck this year.

Anyhoo, Quail Hollow looked atrocious. I do have to say, though, that any time I hear or read a PGA professional complain about golf course conditions, I tune out immediately. Everybody plays the same course, guys, and Walter Hagen and Gene Sarazen are spinning in their graves when they hear you complain about bumpy greens, considering the sorts of tracks they played back in the day.

jimsumner
05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Oh, I remember them wistfully every March, when I recall wearing t-shirts around campus at the same date, and rolling the Common Room tv out to the quad to watch tourney games on the bench. Nonetheless, I trust you'll forgive my lack of sympathy this Spring, when up here we've had everything from six inches of snow in Des Moines in May, to rivers a foot above record flood levels for two weeks in northern Illinois, to three or four separate storms depositing appreciable snow in Minneapolis, and tornadoes all over the place, all the while setting "coldest April ever" records in pretty much every town. I note that Charlotte had a 12 day stretch in April where the high temperature was 79 or above all but one day and .6 inches of rain fell. Where I am, we broke 70 once before the last day of the month, we got 7 inches of rain and half the houses in the metropolitan area had flooded basements after a 4+ inch storm over 12 hours. That, is "barely tolerable." Up here, we suffer our brutal Winter for the payoff of a beautiful Summer, but Spring is supposed to provide a little bit of respite, and signal to people that they can come out of their caves and breathe fresh air and hear some birds singing, even if they still have to wear a fleece. No such luck this year.

Anyhoo, Quail Hollow looked atrocious. I do have to say, though, that any time I hear or read a PGA professional complain about golf course conditions, I tune out immediately. Everybody plays the same course, guys, and Walter Hagen and Gene Sarazen are spinning in their graves when they hear you complain about bumpy greens, considering the sorts of tracks they played back in the day.

Mal,

If I wanted to make you feel bad, I'd remind you of the easy access to some of the best beaches in the world, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, et. al.

But that would be mean. :)

sagegrouse
05-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Kevin is two-under in the last round and -8 in the tournament, tied for ninth. Looks like another good result and payday.

One thing of importance: Kervin is #54 in the world rankings. Getting into the top 50 gets you into every tournament on earth, it seems like. Moreover, he is squarely in the top ten in the FedEx Cup, which has replaced the money-winning list as the index of performance on the PGA Tour. He is projected to be #5.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
05-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Kevin is two-under in the last round and -8 in the tournament, tied for ninth. Looks like another good result and payday.

One thing of importance: Kervin is #54 in the world rankings. Getting into the top 50 gets you into every tournament on earth, it seems like. Moreover, he is squarely in the top ten in the FedEx Cup, which has replaced the money-winning list as the index of performance on the PGA Tour. He is projected to be #5.

sagegrouse

Just rolled in a long putt on the island green -- #17 -- to get to -11. Tiger is at -14. Maggert at -12. Two others at -11.

sagegrouse

loran16
05-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Streelman finished 2nd. Impressive season just gets more impressive.

Jarhead
05-12-2013, 09:05 PM
It all ended with Streelman and Maggert tied for second. Oh yeah, the winner was some guy named Tiger. Click on this:

SCMatt33
06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Just hangin' out with a fellow Dukie at Merion (In the salmon colored shirt). I was in a rush and only got to see him for one hole, but I'm getting excited for what Kevin can do this week.