PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Men's Basketball Banquet

Utley
04-18-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm heading down to my first basketball banquet tomorrow night. Looking forward to a special night - I really like this team, and it will be great to see the seniors one last time.

Any insight on what to expect and how to make the most out of it? Anyone else going? I do have a seat on the floor and only thing I know is to be prepared for bad food :)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm heading down to my first basketball banquet tomorrow night. Looking forward to a special night - I really like this team, and it will be great to see the seniors one last time.

Any insight on what to expect and how to make the most out of it? Anyone else going? I do have a seat on the floor and only thing I know is to be prepared for bad food :)
The last two years the food has been reported as good. But I just go to the program after eating beforehand.

Expect great player and team videos and emotional speeches from the seniors. Until last year, the speeches lasted 20 to 40 minutes each, but last year less than 10 minutes each. I thought that was too short. It should be a great night tonight!

Utley
04-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks Ozzie - helpful color. Do ex players or new recruits attend?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Ozzie - helpful color. Do ex players or new recruits attend?

Short answer, yes. That's where I first met high school commit Brian Zoubek! I commented here at the time that he was a muscular (as in not rail-thin), legitimate 7 footer! :cool:

Philsfan
04-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I went in 2010 and 2011. It's a great time with the speeches and fun atmosphere. Coach K really shows off his emotion and sense of humor. I've only been to the program so I can't speak to the food. Afterward, I've met Kyrie, Josh, Seth, Tyler, and Seth's parents.

One of my favorite non-program memories was in 2010. Immediately after the program, I saw Kyle, wearing a jacket and tie, sprint off toward the locker room. He came out just as quickly, wearing a T-shirt and shorts, and then happily posed for pictures with folks in the crowd. :)

WiJoe
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
bring Kleenex.

devilirium
04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
The last two years the food has been reported as good. But I just go to the program after eating beforehand.

Expect great player and team videos and emotional speeches from the seniors. Until last year, the speeches lasted 20 to 40 minutes each, but last year less than 10 minutes each. I thought that was too short. It should be a great night tonight!

I think the Duhon filibuster condensed the talk time a bit :O)....also some guys are more comfortable on the dais than others....Redick and LT's speeches were examples of guys that were definitely comfortable in the public eye.

DevilWearsPrada
04-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Have fun!!! See you there!

The Dinner is catered by a Catering Company in the Triangle. Generally, your salad is preset, as your dessert is also, along with Water and Iced Tea. The entree has generally been a red and white meat with vegetable medley.

The food isn't Bad, It's Catering food for several hundred that attend! You will enjoy the program! The awards, the Senior Speeches, The Videos and just being a part of the Men's Basketball Banquet and having the Team together for one last time in Cameron Indoor!

I am hoping Coach Chris Collins is in attendance!!!

Enjoy!!!

Utley
04-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Are the upstairs seats business attire too?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Are the upstairs seats business attire too?
Only if that's what you choose to wear. Casual, but nice, is fine.