PDA

View Full Version : This is the most athletic 14 year old I've ever seen

AAA1980
04-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I usually dont follow freshmen but this kid is a beyond freakish athlete and is from South Carolina im sure well recruit him hard like everyone else..

http://hoopmixtape.com/2013/04/seventh-woods-is-the-best-14-year-old-in-the-country/

Chicken Little
04-18-2013, 09:38 PM
If those are 10 foot hoops...That is pretty impressive.

Newton_14
04-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Lots of talent there for his age plus very advanced body. No doubt he will have a college ready body by the time he is 18. One nit-pick is he has to get rid of the absurdly high dribble, especially when crossing over from right to left. Several times the dribble with his right hand was head high when he went with the crossover dribble move. Other times he showed good low ball handling so hopefully it is a bad habit he can easily break with work. Very talented kid though and it was very apparent he enjoys protecting the rim on defense. Had several really good blocks with several coming after chasing down the shooter with great timing to snuff out the shot. Impressive kid.

dukelifer
04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
If those are 10 foot hoops...That is pretty impressive.

If he is really 14. Never know these days

Reilly
04-18-2013, 09:58 PM
How many kids who wear #23 has Duke successfully recruited?

ncexnyc
04-18-2013, 10:12 PM
If he is really 14. Never know these days
Now, now. No self respecting parent would ever even entertain the idea of doctoring their childs birthdate.;)

mgtr
04-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Now, now. No self respecting parent would ever even entertain the idea of doctoring their childs birthdate.;)

Now, now. No parents of a high school freshman would eve be self-respecting -- unless the player ends up at Duke!;)

BismarckDuke
04-19-2013, 09:51 AM
For as good as he looks, it is the reason kids should not have to go to college before the NBA. If he continues to progress, and I believe he will, he'll be ready for the NBA right out of high school. Why make him go to college, what will one year do for him?

If they want mature players in the NBA, stop drafting underclassmen.

He looks head and shoulders above the kids he played against, but then again, it is a highlight video.

IBleedBlue
04-19-2013, 10:01 AM
He is got an absurd handle and hops for his age.
what is going to be interesting is, can he maintain that handle as he grows taller!!

nmduke2001
04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Wow! I was half expecting him to look physically like LeBron or Greg Oden. Those guys looked 30 when they were 14. Anyone remember what Henderson, Gerald Green or Vince Carter looked like at that age? I would guess they were in the same league athletically.

CDu
04-19-2013, 10:17 AM
To be fair, I don't think either his hops or his handle are transcendent even given his age. The combination of the two along with his physical maturity (assuming he really is 14, and not an old freshman) is impressive.

I've seen freshman in my high school that had similar quicks and hops. I knew a 5'7" kid who could throw down some absolutely silly dunks as a frosh, and we had a 6'2" kid that could jump through the roof. And I'm quite sure plenty of guys had as good or better ballhandling skills at 14. But when you put it all together, it's pretty impressive.

He also has the advantage in that his body looks very mature for a 14 year old. He's not rail thin like many 14 year olds are. He's built, already with college size (6'1", 170) for a PG. That only adds to the "is he really only 14" question. But assuming he really is that age, a big part of his advantage is that he's simply more physically mature than most 14 year olds.

I assume that when recruitniks start ranking the 2016 class they'll have Woods in their top-10. What remains to be seen is whether or not he continues to develop physically, as many of his competitors will almost certainly be gaining physical maturity over the next 3 years.

Zeb
04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
No doubt he will have a college ready body by the time he is 18.

Looks like a college ready body right now.

CDu
04-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Looks like a college ready body right now.

Yup. That's a big part of why he looks so good. He's got a 21 year old's body as a freshman.

rsvman
04-19-2013, 11:38 AM
From watching that highlight reel, I was actually much more impressed by his defense than by his offense. The other thing I saw that is missing from many of these types of videos was some pretty good passing, which is a huge plus.

On a side note, if his name is really Seventh Woods he will also make the "All-Name Team."

Bluedog
04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Apparently, Seventh is a HUGE UNC fan....

sagegrouse
04-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Wow! I was half expecting him to look physically like LeBron or Greg Oden. Those guys looked 30 when they were 14. Anyone remember what Henderson, Gerald Green or Vince Carter looked like at that age? I would guess they were in the same league athletically.

Carlos Boozer entered Duke at the age of 17, not at the age of 20, like McGary. And the Booze easily looked 30YO.

sagegrouse

Jim3k
04-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Carlos Boozer entered Duke at the age of 17, not at the age of 20, like McGary. And the Booze easily looked 30YO.

sagegrouse

And didn't Mike Gminski come at 16?

sagegrouse
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM
And didn't Mike Gminski come at 16?

Gminski entered Duke after the 11th grade. It was a recruiting coup by Bill Foster to entice the brainy young player to forego his senior year of HS. Mike was born August 3, 1959 and entered Duke (presumably) later in August of 1976. He played the entire 1976-77 season as a 17YO.

Grant Hill entered Duke as a 17YO but turned 18 October 5, before the season started.

Boozer played two games as a 17YO; they were both losses at Madison Sq. Garden. We did much better after he turned 18 on November 20, including a victory over Army on his b'day. ;)

sagegrouse

Reilly
04-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Here's a recap of G-man's h.s. career. Looks like he played two years of varsity, and 7 games of a 3d season, and still managed 1600 points. If he stayed, Duke might be able to claim another all-time state scoring leader.

http://www.monroecourier.com/1302/gminski-earns-gold-key/

So I wonder who are the youngest and oldest men's players to score for Duke: G-man and Matt C.? Maybe WWII-era players could've been older if playing after coming home?

rsvman
04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
apparently, seventh is a huge unc fan....

noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Bluedog
04-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Apparently, Seventh is a HUGE UNC fan....

noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

But Jay Williams grew up a UNC fan as well, so it doesn't necessarily mean all that much, I suppose.

RPS
03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
See how hard it can be to evaluate talent and project success into the future?

Seventh Woods (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4065676/seventh-woods)

wavedukefan70s
03-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Hes probably 14 .my boys besty is 6ft3 280 in 7th grade 13 years old.heck jrs 5ft 7 or so and 190.
Its funny they look like grown men almost .

UNCfan
03-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Seventh Woods (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4065676/seventh-woods)
Although Seventh hurt himself in preseason, he didn't show much this season. He still has time, but I am not optimistic he will ever start.

PackMan97
03-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Because the link in the original post doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If7Hrcf04Dw

6'2" as a high school freshman, 6'2" as a freshman at UNC-Cheat.

Something doesn't add up here. There aren't many boys I know that stop growing when they are 14.

RPS
03-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Although Seventh hurt himself in preseason, he didn't show much this season. He still has time, but I am not optimistic he will ever start.
I didn't mean to presume anything about his future, just that talent evaluations and projections of future performance are really, really hard. Obviously, this year's Duke team provided some prominent illustrations.

niveklaen
03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Because the link in the original post doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If7Hrcf04Dw

Something doesn't add up here. There aren't many boys I know that stop growing when they are 14.

I think that Thon Maker for the Bucks stopped growing at 14 too. Probably for the same reasons...

dukelifer
03-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Well he is only a Freshman at UNC. But in the old days- you would assume no Freshman could play until they actually stepped onto the court. We project too much onto these kids. Some need a year or two to mature.

kAzE
03-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Boy was I confused about this thread until I saw the post date hahaha! :D

I was like "Wait, there's another kid name Seventh Woods? What are the chances??"

brevity
03-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Boy was I confused about this thread until I saw the post date hahaha! :D

I was like "Wait, there's another kid name Seventh Woods? What are the chances??"

1 out of 49?

kAzE
03-21-2017, 06:08 PM
1 out of 49?

I see wut u did there.

dukelifer
03-21-2017, 11:00 PM
I usually dont follow freshmen but this kid is a beyond freakish athlete and is from South Carolina im sure well recruit him hard like everyone else..

http://hoopmixtape.com/2013/04/seventh-woods-is-the-best-14-year-old-in-the-country/

Lebron's son make take the title in two years. Rumor is that he already has verbal offers from Duke and KY.

PackMan97
03-22-2017, 09:21 AM
I think that Thon Maker for the Bucks stopped growing at 14 too. Probably for the same reasons...

I was not aware of Thon's situation. Very interesting and it's along the same lines of what I'm thinking.

CDu
03-22-2017, 12:48 PM

I'm inclined to believe that Woods is indeed his stated age for a few reasons. I'm more likely to believe that Maker is not his stated age.

Woods is a US citizen and thus almost certainly has a valid birth certificate. Adding to that, he has participated in USA Basketball's youth programs, which almost certainly requires that he provide evidence of his birth date. Maker, on the other hand, has - by no fault of his own - been moved from country to country since birth. It is very easy to imagine that his birth certificate is no longer to be found, making it quite feasible for his age to be fudged.

As for Woods, his growth, DraftExpress tracks this stuff. A bit creepy? Yes. But they do it. As part of USA Basketball, Woods was measured each year.

Per DraftExpress, Woods was 5'10" without shoes in 2012, 5'11.5" in 2013, 6'0" in 2014, and 6'0.5" in 2015. So he was, apparently, still growing a bit more after age 14. He seems to have settled in at a shade under 6'1".

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Seventh-Woods-7226/

His lack of growth isn't that outlandish. Growing only an inch after age 14 happens. Most kids stop growing in height between the ages of 14 and 18.

PackMan97
03-22-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm inclined to believe that Woods is indeed his stated age for a few reasons. I'm more likely to believe that Maker is not his stated age.

Woods is a US citizen and thus almost certainly has a valid birth certificate. Adding to that, he has participated in USA Basketball's youth programs, which almost certainly requires that he provide evidence of his birth date. Maker, on the other hand, has - by no fault of his own - been moved from country to country since birth. It is very easy to imagine that his birth certificate is no longer to be found, making it quite feasible for his age to be fudged.

As for Woods, his growth, DraftExpress tracks this stuff. A bit creepy? Yes. But they do it. As part of USA Basketball, Woods was measured each year.

Per DraftExpress, Woods was 5'10" without shoes in 2012, 5'11.5" in 2013, 6'0" in 2014, and 6'0.5" in 2015. So he was, apparently, still growing a bit more after age 14. He seems to have settled in at a shade under 6'1".

His lack of growth isn't that outlandish. Growing only an inch after age 14 happens. Most kids stop growing in height between the ages of 14 and 18.

Don't rain on my future UNC conspiracy! I stayed up all night last night research UNC players for any other odd cases. This could be the next big cheating prong over on the Hill. All I have to do is a post a few cryptic messages to Pack Pride and it will be on!

niveklaen
03-22-2017, 05:09 PM

I demand to see the long form birth certificate ;)

UNCfan
03-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Don't rain on my future UNC conspiracy! I stayed up all night last night research UNC players for any other odd cases. This could be the next big cheating prong over on the Hill. All I have to do is a post a few cryptic messages to Pack Pride and it will be on!

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth in this post. Hope your team gets competitive soon so you will have something better to do with your time.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-22-2017, 05:52 PM

Or... it will lead to years of investigation with no purchase and thousands of posts of speculation.

Tripping William
03-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Based on the thread title, Seventh Woods is Doug Gottlieb's ideal recruit!

PackMan97
03-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth in this post. Hope your team gets competitive soon so you will have something better to do with your time.

There is no greater good that can be done besides ending the scourge that is the Carolina Athletic Department. We. Will. Never. Stop. Never. Ever. Stop.