PDA

View Full Version : Front page photo

CameronBornAndBred
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Interesting to see the photo today. That bear is about 2 miles from my house, it is on the New Bern city hall (there are two on that corner of the building). Doesn't have a thing to do with Duke, but it is still cool to see...I wonder what prompted the posting of the pic.

killerleft
04-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Interesting to see the photo today. That bear is about 2 miles from my house, it is on the New Bern city hall (there are two on that corner of the building). Doesn't have a thing to do with Duke, but it is still cool to see...I wonder what prompted the posting of the pic.

I laughed when I saw it. Two questions: Why are the bears on New Bern's City Hall building? And is bear bbq tasty, ya reckon?

Indoor66
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I laughed when I saw it. Two questions: Why are the bears on New Bern's City Hall building? And is bear bbq tasty, ya reckon?

The bear is the symbol for Bern, Switzerland.

devildeac
04-18-2013, 11:03 AM

New Bern High School Bears:).

Don't know whether they are bad news or not but I recall some pretty good FB and men's soccer teams from New Bern in recent years:cool:.

Don't know how bear BBQ tastes...

jdj4duke
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Alternative gargoyle.

beach rev
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
The New Bern football Bears were pretty formidable this year. My son played ball for Wilmington Hoggard, and two of our three losses this season came at New Bern stadium - or, as my boy puts it, 'the place where all football dreams go to die.' Great program.

left_hook_lacey
04-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Bear meat is quite tasty any way it's fixed. Bear steak and gravy is my personal favorite. But like all wild meat, it it's not prepared well, it isn't very pleasant. But I've been fortunate in most of my bear meat experiences. :)

I too was surprised to see the photo. I'm from Kinston originally, and spent many days working on new construction homes in the coastal plains and New Bern area when I was working my way through college so I recognized the photo immediately.

CameronBornAndBred
04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
The New Bern football Bears were pretty formidable this year. My son played ball for Wilmington Hoggard, and two of our three losses this season came at New Bern stadium - or, as my boy puts it, 'the place where all football dreams go to die.' Great program.
Yup, they ended their season as state champs.

devildeac
04-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Bear meat is quite tasty any way it's fixed. Bear steak and gravy is my personal favorite. But like all wild meat, it it's not prepared well, it isn't very pleasant. But I've been fortunate in most of my bear meat experiences. :)

I too was surprised to see the photo. I'm from Kinston originally, and spent many days working on new construction homes in the coastal plains and New Bern area when I was working my way through college so I recognized the photo immediately.

Yup, they ended their season as state champs.

Wonder if we'll see any b(e)arbecue at tailgates this year:rolleyes:.

roywhite
04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
New Bern High School Bears:).

Don't know whether they are bad news or not but I recall some pretty good FB and men's soccer teams from New Bern in recent years:cool:.

Don't know how bear BBQ tastes...

They've also got author Nick Sparks as a major benefactor for their athletic programs, esp. track.

New Bern resident Nicholas Sparks wiki bio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Sparks)

Sparks resides in North Carolina[12] with his wife, Cathy; their three sons, Miles, Ryan, and Landon; and twin daughters, Lexie and Savannah. Sparks has donated a track to New Bern High School and contributes to local and national charities. Nicholas Sparks donated $900,000 for a new, all-weather tartan track, to New Bern High School. He also donates his time to help coach the New Bern High School track team and a local club track team as a volunteer head coach

If I recall, Nicholas Sparks is not popular with DBR literary critics.