PDA

View Full Version : Classes making the Final Four in the Coach K era

CDu
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
There are many many amazing facts about Coach K's career at Duke, and this is just one of them. But since the 1983 freshman class, only 3 classes have gone through their 4 years without making a Final four. That's right: 30 years, and only 3 times has Duke gone 4 years without a Final Four trip (the 1994-95 freshman class, the 2004-05 freshman class, and the 2005-06 freshman class). The list was even more impressive as of 2007, when it had happened just once. But still. Incredible.

Why do I bring it up? Because the 2013-2014 class has some serious pressure*. They are currently in danger of being the fourth such class at Duke since 1983. Now, in the one-and-done era, it's a little trickier of course. Had Irving not gotten hurt or had Derrick Williams not had an amazing game, maybe we aren't even talking about this class not having made a Final Four yet. And had Dawkins stayed with his original class, then it is possible that the 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 freshmen classes might not have made a Final Four either.

Hopefully, the team next year keeps the list to just 3 in the past 31 years.

* The above sentence was purely sarcasm. It is absolutely ridiculous that only 3 classes in the last 30 years have failed to make a Final Four. That has to be an unprecedented run of sustained success.

licc85
04-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Next year feels like the year. I feel like this will be our best shot at the final 4, assuming everyone stays healthy, and possibly our best team since 2002. (Obviously, 2011 would have been a fantastic team had Kyrie stayed healthy all year). Though I'd still like our chances better if we loaded up with a 5th year big man.

Ben1029
04-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Tom Izzo has taken every class that he has recruited to a Final Four. This is also impressive but not as much so as K's because he has been a head coach for less time. The most recent graduating class was the last to do so, so this class has some pressure on it.

SoCalDukeFan
04-17-2013, 11:21 PM
There are many many amazing facts about Coach K's career at Duke, and this is just one of them. But since the 1983 freshman class, only 3 classes have gone through their 4 years without making a Final four. That's right: 30 years, and only 3 times has Duke gone 4 years without a Final Four trip (the 1994-95 freshman class, the 2004-05 freshman class, and the 2005-06 freshman class). The list was even more impressive as of 2007, when it had happened just once. But still. Incredible.

Why do I bring it up? Because the 2013-2014 class has some serious pressure*. They are currently in danger of being the fourth such class at Duke since 1983. Now, in the one-and-done era, it's a little trickier of course. Had Irving not gotten hurt or had Derrick Williams not had an amazing game, maybe we aren't even talking about this class not having made a Final Four yet. And had Dawkins stayed with his original class, then it is possible that the 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 freshmen classes might not have made a Final Four either.

Hopefully, the team next year keeps the list to just 3 in the past 31 years.

* The above sentence was purely sarcasm. It is absolutely ridiculous that only 3 classes in the last 30 years have failed to make a Final Four. That has to be an unprecedented run of sustained success.

was in he 94-95 freshman class, redshirted in 95-96, and played in the Final Four in 1999.

Not sure if you count that or not.

SoCal

Jarhead
04-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Not to worry. ESPN's Joe Lunardi has come out with his first Bracketology (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology) for the 13/14 season, and he has Duke seeded #1 in the East region. Kentucky is #1 in the Mid-West. GTHK-GTH.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/113.gif

NSDukeFan
04-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Not to worry. ESPN's Joe Lunardi has come out with his first Bracketology (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology) for the 13/14 season, and he has Duke seeded #1 in the East region. Kentucky is #1 in the Mid-West. GTHK-GTH.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/113.gif

Duke only got that seed because of their name and were gifted with the easiest region. ;)

sagegrouse
04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
was in he 94-95 freshman class, redshirted in 95-96, and played in the Final Four in 1999.

SoCal

A meaningful question asks, "How many four-year Duke players never played in a Final Four?" From Trajan's freshman class, Wojo and Ricky Price did not play in a Final Four. (Does one get credit for coaching two NC's?)

In the freshman class entering in the fall of 2005, Dave McClure and DeMarcus Nelson never played in a Final Four. In the following year, Martynas Pocius and Greg Paulus never played in a FF. Nor did McRoberts, Boateng, or Boykin -- but they didn't stick around. The list could have been shorter if Martyynas had stuck around for one more year of eligibility. (Yeah, I know, he only played three years, but he was enrolled at Duke for four years and got his degree, so he's on my list as a four-year player.)

Six four-year scholarship players in the classes entering from the fall of 1982 through the fall of 2009 did NOT play in a Final Four. That's 27 years. Now up and on the bubble are Tyler and Josh, who entered in the fall of 2010 and need to play in a Final Four next spring.

sagegrouse

CDu
04-18-2013, 07:44 PM

SoCal

I do not count that because he was not a 4-year guy (which was the specific premise). In otherwords, Coach K has had the Final Four at least once within any 4-year period in all but 3 years over the last 30 years.

CDu
04-18-2013, 07:48 PM
A meaningful question asks, "How many four-year Duke players never played in a Final Four?" From Trajan's freshman class, Wojo and Ricky Price did not play in a Final Four. (Does one get credit for coaching two NC's?)

In the freshman class entering in the fall of 2005, Dave McClure and DeMarcus Nelson never played in a Final Four. In the following year, Martynas Pocius and Greg Paulus never played in a FF. Nor did McRoberts, Boateng, or Boykin -- but they didn't stick around. The list could have been shorter if Martyynas had stuck around for one more year of eligibility. (Yeah, I know, he only played three years, but he was enrolled at Duke for four years and got his degree, so he's on my list as a four-year player.)

Six four-year scholarship players in the classes entering from the fall of 1982 through the fall of 2009 did NOT play in a Final Four. That's 27 years. Now up and on the bubble are Tyler and Josh, who entered in the fall of 2010 and need to play in a Final Four next spring.

sagegrouse

Yup. And since Coach K and Duke are the cradle of college PGs, only 2 PGs who were on scholarships for 4 years in Coach K's history have not made a Final Four: Wojo and Paulus. And Paulus was moved out of the PG spot for the last 1.25 years of his career.

Hopefully that means good things for Cook's future.