PDA

View Full Version : Explosions at Boston Marathon

NashvilleDevil
04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Prayers to Boston and anyone affected by this. (http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/many_injured_as_two_huge_blasts_rock_boston_marath on_finish_line)

Here is a Turtle
04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Preliminary reports are 2 dead. 23 injured. Definitely tragic. Prayers to the families.

jimsumner
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Prayers to Boston and anyone affected by this. (http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/many_injured_as_two_huge_blasts_rock_boston_marath on_finish_line)

NBC is reporting at least two fatalities and at least two-dozen injuries.

Somber stuff. I fear the early hopes that it was an infrastructure issue may prove wrong.

blazindw
04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
They've found 2 additional devices (and apparently they exploded one in a controlled setting). They've now started using the word "bombs" instead of "explosions." Just terrifying and sickening that this would happen.

bjornolf
04-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Wow, just wow. Thank goodness they attacked the finish instead of the start. It could have been so much worse.

Here is a Turtle
04-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Looks like it was 3 bombings. 2 on the race. 1 other on the JFK library. Boston globe reporting over 100 injured. Wow.

blazindw
04-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Cell service has been shut down throughout Boston, according to law enforcement, so as to prevent any further remote detonations via cellphone. They're trying to spread the word that people should check in via social media to let loved ones know they're okay. Landlines are still operational, to my knowledge.

bjornolf
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Looks like it was 3 bombings. 2 on the race. 1 other on the JFK library. Boston globe reporting over 100 injured. Wow.

They just said that the library thing was an unrelated fire that has been extinguished, not an explosion.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
And CBS just reported that the cellphone shutdown was a myth.

The fact that they found at least one more unexploded bomb is actually good news -- it should make it that much easier to find the culprit.

Newton_14
04-15-2013, 09:41 PM
FYI- I am moving this to the EK Board to give it better visibility.

Very sad. Our own Kelcey Carlson who is co-anchor on local WRAL TV morning and nightly news (the co-anchor of the main/top WRAL pairing for prime-time news broadcasts) is also a runner who participates in many marathons, ran the marathon today. We were all worried for her saftey, but learned that she finished a good hour ahead of the blasts. She ran it in something like 3 hours 10 mminutes and the bombs went off at the 4 hour 18 minute mark. The reports stated that the average finish time historically is like 4 hours 10 minutes give or take, so the bombs were timed such that the maximum amount of runners would be finishing up, and the amount of spectators at and near the finish line would be maxed out. Even sadder is one of the 2 dead was an 8 year old boy. Below is a bullet list of key points that are known at this time, from the WRAL article courtesy of the AP.

What we know:

Two explosions rang out about 2:50 p.m. near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
More than 27,000 people competed in the race, and thousands more were out on the streets to cheer them on.
Boston Police say three are dead and more than 130 wounded. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/news/video/12343575/)
At least one other bomb was discovered by police and disarmed.
A surveillance image showed a person carrying two backpacks near the site of the blasts.
Authorities have not identified any claim of responsibility. They have no suspects.
One man, who was seen running from the blasts and was then tackled by a bystander, is in police custody for questioning. He has been cooperative with investigators and is not considered a suspect, police said.
There was a fire at the JFK library that police have said is not related.
Security has been stepped up in other major East Coast cities.
Google established a website to help people find their loved ones (http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/)
Telephone number to locate victims: 617-635-4500
Telephone number for tips: 1-800-494-TIPS

Wander
04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
And CBS just reported that the cellphone shutdown was a myth.

What part? I promise it's the case that EMS people and other responders were ordered not to use their cell phones. Although I did have a conversation between a cell phone in Boston and a cell phone Cambridge that worked fine about 20 minutes-ish after the bombs. But then again I think the shutdown orders happened like 90 minutes-ish after the bombs, so not necessarily inconsistent.

Tappan Zee Devil
04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Prayer from my (Episcopal) presiding bishop that reflects my thoughts for the dead and injured

Gracious God, you walk with us through the valley of the shadow of death. We pray that the suffering and terrorized be surrounded by the incarnate presence of the crucified and risen one. May every human being be reminded of the precious gift of life you entered to share with us. May our hearts be pierced with compassion for those who suffer, and for those who have inflicted this violence, for your love is the only healing balm we know. May the dead be received into your enfolding arms, and may your friends show the grieving they are not alone as they walk this vale of tears. All this we pray in the name of the one who walked the road to Calvary.

In addition we need to identify, find and deal with those who did this.

As an aside, my son lives in Boston and until he started med school last fall was a paramedic with Boston EMS. He was assigned to downtown and would have responded or have already been there if still in the service. His fiancé's sister is a trauma nurse and was called in. Looking at the links he sent me, the Boston emergency services are both horrified and determined to show the compassion and response that they went into emergency medicine to do.:mad:

MCFinARL
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Prayer from my (Episcopal) presiding bishop that reflects my thoughts for the dead and injured

Gracious God, you walk with us through the valley of the shadow of death. We pray that the suffering and terrorized be surrounded by the incarnate presence of the crucified and risen one. May every human being be reminded of the precious gift of life you entered to share with us. May our hearts be pierced with compassion for those who suffer, and for those who have inflicted this violence, for your love is the only healing balm we know. May the dead be received into your enfolding arms, and may your friends show the grieving they are not alone as they walk this vale of tears. All this we pray in the name of the one who walked the road to Calvary.

In addition we need to identify, find and deal with those who did this.

As an aside, my son lives in Boston and until he started med school last fall was a paramedic with Boston EMS. He was assigned to downtown and would have responded or have already been there if still in the service. His fiancé's sister is a trauma nurse and was called in. Looking at the links he sent me, the Boston emergency services are both horrified and determined to show the compassion and response that they went into emergency medicine to do.:mad:

My daughter was at work in the Prudential Center yesterday and actually went out to watch the elite runners finish. Hard not to think how easily it could have been she among the injured. After the explosions they were restricted to the building for several hours but were allowed to leave the area following a designated path eventually.

Newton_14
04-16-2013, 10:41 PM
I happened to catch Maxwell's personal account in an interview on the radio on the commute home from work today. For those that don't know, Cedric is the current radio Play by Play guy for the Celtics and lives in Boston.

Typing this from memory, but hope I get most of this correct. Per his account, yesterday he walked down to the area of the finish line for the marathon and hung out for about 20-30 minutes taking it all in and watching runners as they finished the race. About 10 minutes prior to the first explosion he decided to move along and walked into a nearby building. After he was in the building and on the second floor he both heard and felt the building shake from the explosion. He looked out and saw all of the smoke and people running from the area and shortly thereafter the second bomb exploded.

After he finally made it home he started watching the reports on the tv, and he saw from the camera view where the first bomb exploded. He instantly realized he had been standing in the exact area where bomb 1 went off. He saw a lady in a red dress who was standing there when the explosion happened and was badly injured, and he said he had actually been standing the entire time right beside her and had talked to her during the time he hung out there.

I can't even begin to imagine what he must be feeling right now. It was an incredible interview and chilling to hear his personal account and just how close of a call it was for him.

Just a very sad deal for the people who were not as fortunate as he was. Hopefully they bring the perp/perps to justice soon.

matt1
04-17-2013, 07:27 AM
I happened to catch Maxwell's personal account in an interview on the radio on the commute home from work today. For those that don't know, Cedric is the current radio Play by Play guy for the Celtics and lives in Boston.

Typing this from memory, but hope I get most of this correct. Per his account, yesterday he walked down to the area of the finish line for the marathon and hung out for about 20-30 minutes taking it all in and watching runners as they finished the race. About 10 minutes prior to the first explosion he decided to move along and walked into a nearby building. After he was in the building and on the second floor he both heard and felt the building shake from the explosion. He looked out and saw all of the smoke and people running from the area and shortly thereafter the second bomb exploded.

After he finally made it home he started watching the reports on the tv, and he saw from the camera view where the first bomb exploded. He instantly realized he had been standing in the exact area where bomb 1 went off. He saw a lady in a red dress who was standing there when the explosion happened and was badly injured, and he said he had actually been standing the entire time right beside her and had talked to her during the time he hung out there.

I can't even begin to imagine what he must be feeling right now. It was an incredible interview and chilling to hear his personal account and just how close of a call it was for him.

Just a very sad deal for the people who were not as fortunate as he was. Hopefully they bring the perp/perps to justice soon.

I have no words to describe how much pain he must feel. It kind of reminds me of those people who decided, at the last minute, not to take the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis several years ago.

sporthenry
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
CNN reporting "substantial progress" and a source calling it a "significant" development. This would be huge because it started to sound like this could take months. Not that this still might not drag out since the definition of "substantial progress" might differ but hopefully this comes to a swift and just end.

jv001
04-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Fox News now saying an arrest has been made in this terrible act. If so, great work. God bless those affected by this act. GoDuke!

DukeAlumBS
04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree with the FBI work here. Homeland Security needs work. The bomb mimics what Tim Mc Veigh used, which suggested a local but not foreign event. If foreign they would have laid claim to this event. After 9 /11 here Anthrax was used in this country. What confuses me is 2 letters of Ricin have been mailed out during the Boston event. Which is not the style of the terrorist. They , use a more damaging agent like Anthrax. Which is cheap. And kills much more. Ricin a potent biological, I think this is another issue.
Have nice day
Jimmy

jv001
04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Now Fox News and other major news outlets are saying an arrest has not been made. They all want to be the first to get the news out.

Mal
04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Fox News now saying an arrest has been made in this terrible act.

Or not, per official BPD statement released minutes later. Go, 24/7 Media! CNN bit on this one, too, so both of them have egg all over their faces right now. With CNN's massive oops on the ACA ruling just months ago, they're quickly losing any vestigial credibility as an actual news source. That's two "Dewey Wins" moments in pretty short succession.

dukelifer
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Or not, per official BPD statement released minutes later. Go, 24/7 Media! CNN bit on this one, too, so both of them have egg all over their faces right now. With CNN's massive oops on the ACA ruling just months ago, they're quickly losing any vestigial credibility as an actual news source. That's two "Dewey Wins" moments in pretty short succession.

As usual, you need to wait several hours to be sure the details of any breaking story is reasonably correct. Of course- mistakes only get people to check the site more and so there is great incentive to get something out there even if wrong- more eyes on the page.

Jarhead
04-17-2013, 04:45 PM
A press conference is scheduled at 5 Pm today. That's 15 minutes awaqy. I am sure that some clarity, and some confusion will result. One thing that is clear is that nobody has been arrested.

Jarhead
04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
A press conference is scheduled at 5 Pm today. That's 15 minutes awaqy. I am sure that some clarity, and some confusion will result. One thing that is clear is that nobody has been arrested.

The press conference has been delayed an hour or more.

Mal
04-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Editing, seeing that previous posts on submatter have been expunged. Hoping to save a mod some work!

bluebear
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
The press conference has been delayed an hour or more.

Part of the press conference delay (at least the story given) was related to a bomb threat at the court house where everyone was waiting for the reported suspect to be brought. There have,not surprisingly, been a lot of these threats here over the past few days. Still heavy armed presence at the hospital where I work. I'm still not convinced that CNN was completely wrong. Others including the Globe,which is well sourced, stuck with the story for a long time after others were backtracking. Could be more going on behind the scenes.

OldPhiKap
04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Briefing cancelled for evening. FWIW.

Newton_14
04-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Just a note guys. We did remove a few posts from the thread. Please avoid policy talk, and please do not post the photo's from the wanna be detectives. Linking to stories from the mainstream media sites is fine, we just don't want to be a part of the "see this photo implicates person X" drama here on DBR. Thanks for understanding.

Bob Green
04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Official photos of the official suspects are now available on the FBI website:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston

FerryFor50
04-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Looks like they got one after a crazy overnight chase. The other one escaped on foot, but they're closing in.

I have my doubts they get that one alive.

gus
04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Just a note guys. We did remove a few posts from the thread. Please avoid policy talk, and please do not post the photo's from the wanna be detectives. Linking to stories from the mainstream media sites is fine, we just don't want to be a part of the "see this photo implicates person X" drama here on DBR. Thanks for understanding.

Not only were the reddit and 4chan amateur photo analysts totally wrong about all the "suspects" they fingered, but they didn't even spot the actual suspects. So the moderators were absolutely right to delete those posts. I'm sure the kid falsely accused by the NY Post wishes that paper's editors were similarly careful.

Native
04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Some absolutely horrifying and incredible developments overnight. Apparently the suspect robbed a convenience store, shot and killed an MIT police officer and then led police on a wild chase with a hijacked car. One suspect is reportedly dead while the other remains at large. Boston is on lockdown.

Mike Corey
04-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Not only were the reddit and 4chan amateur photo analysts totally wrong about all the "suspects" they fingered, but they didn't even spot the actual suspects. So the moderators were absolutely right to delete those posts. I'm sure the kid falsely accused by the NY Post wishes that paper's editors were similarly careful.

Yes they were, and I'm very sorry for having brought that rubbish to the boards.

Here's hoping the situation resolves itself today as quickly and peacefully as is possible.

Wander
04-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh my god. Everything sucks. F this.

DukeWarhead
04-19-2013, 11:41 AM
I've never quite understood why we have threads on here in relation events completely outside the realm of college basketball, or sports for that matter. Not that it's a bad thing. Duke bball fans care about all sorts of topics, to be sure, and I suppose that some current events are so big that they just can't be ignored. I for one, however, wouldn't mind it if threads such as these were relegated to the Off-topic board and not intermixed with bball threads.
I'm not complaining - just curious.

matt1
04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
I've never quite understood why we have threads on here in relation events completely outside the realm of college basketball, or sports for that matter. Not that it's a bad thing. Duke bball fans care about all sorts of topics, to be sure, and I suppose that some current events are so big that they just can't be ignored. I for one, however, wouldn't mind it if threads such as these were relegated to the Off-topic board and not intermixed with bball threads.
I'm not complaining - just curious.

Normally, this thread would be in Off Topic. However, this event is so important that the moderators wanted to give it extra exposure.

rsvman
04-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Normally, this thread would be in Off Topic. However, this event is so important that the moderators wanted to give it extra exposure.

I think Dukewarhead makes a pretty good point. I know this thread was started on the Off Topic board. I think it should've remained there. It is clearly off the topic of college basketball. People who frequent this board are generally pretty intelligent. So when something like this bombing happens, they should be able to figure out that it would be discussed on the Off Topic board; so I don't understand the idea of "bringing the thread more traffic" by placing it on the EK board.

I would further argue that if the thread had stayed on the Off Topic board, posters who were interested in discussing the incident and its aftermath would've easily been able to find it, and those who only come here to discuss college basketball and its tangents would not have had to see it. I know the moderator had good intentions, but I think it was the wrong move.

turnandburn55
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
The general rule is that if it's on the newsfeed on the front page, it's open to discuss on the EK board.

luburch
04-19-2013, 12:13 PM
It blows my mind that the biggest worry people are having is that this thread is in the EK board and not Off-Topic.

OldSchool
04-19-2013, 12:46 PM
I think Dukewarhead makes a pretty good point. I know this thread was started on the Off Topic board. I think it should've remained there. It is clearly off the topic of college basketball. People who frequent this board are generally pretty intelligent. So when something like this bombing happens, they should be able to figure out that it would be discussed on the Off Topic board; so I don't understand the idea of "bringing the thread more traffic" by placing it on the EK board.

I would further argue that if the thread had stayed on the Off Topic board, posters who were interested in discussing the incident and its aftermath would've easily been able to find it, and those who only come here to discuss college basketball and its tangents would not have had to see it. I know the moderator had good intentions, but I think it was the wrong move.

Second this.

A-Tex Devil
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Listened to the police scanner last night. It was chilling. Almost couldn't believe it was real.

The news stations are getting so, so, so much wrong right now for the sake of the scoop. I almost want to just shut everything off and have someone tell me when its over.

MCFinARL
04-19-2013, 02:09 PM

I see your point, but is "having to see" this thread such a big problem? Its subject is clearly identified and people who don't want to read about it don't have to click on it.

DukeAlumBS
04-19-2013, 02:29 PM
I stated earlier about this situation and made a comment about Ricin. I think this topic is very vital, since we have issues. Since 9/11 NYS failed all over the place. All government agencies did not do their job back then. They all failed. From FEMA and on down . All Fed Response as well! I am impressed with our evolving system. The FBI is on the money. Homeland Security needs work still. The Ricin mailings were caught that was nice. During 9/11 anthrax was sent all over, and was not very helpful it killed many. Our EMS was at a lag for these things back then. I was impressed with Boston Trauma and their response. And Fed response now!
Make this short, we have a lot of people that do not like us. They use the quick and most devastating way to put us to sleep!
Very happy for Boston today!
Jimmy

rsvman
04-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I see your point, but is "having to see" this thread such a big problem? Its subject is clearly identified and people who don't want to read about it don't have to click on it.

I agree with you that it's not a huge problem.

My original post probably stemmed more from the fact that I'm a moderator at another sports site. We have noticed that when topics like this are started on the regular boards, there is a tendency for the discussion to sometimes suddenly devolve into a political shouting match. We try very hard to keep those sorts of discussions away from the sports discussions. So we set up a separate board specifically for "Politics and Religion." I'm one of only three mods who actually moderate in that section of the forum. It takes some dedication and a steady hand.

So maybe I was just extrapolating from a model that has worked well for us at the other site. It intuitively makes sense, too. But I trust the mods here to do their job and I'm not trying to step on any toes.

77devil
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Now that we know that one brother was a naturalized citizen and the other a permanent resident, which means they are extensively documented in Fed databases, am I the only one who finds it odd that the pictures were released to the public? The Feds have sophisticated photo recognition technology that should have delineated subject 2(white hat) into a manageable pool of candidates.

sagegrouse
04-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Now that we know that one brother was a naturalized citizen and the other a permanent resident, which means they are extensively documented in Fed databases, am I the only one who finds it odd that the pictures were released to the public? The Feds have sophisticated photo recognition technology that should have delineated subject 2(white hat) into a manageable pool of candidates.

No, I am not surprised. The FBI and others had the photos for a day or more -- did not make an ID -- then released to public -- et voila!

Something similar happened in the case of the DC sniper. The cops (finally -- remember the "white van" fales ID) had a good description of the vehicle and its license plate. They looked for it for 12 hours or more, then released it to the public (actually it was a leak just ahead of an intended release). A trucker or other citizen reported the car at a rest area off of I27-/I-70 in Maryland.

sagegrouse

A-Tex Devil
04-19-2013, 07:14 PM
A person they think is suspect is on a boat in the backyard of a house in Watertown. Going to knock it over with an armored car. Stay tuned.

MCFinARL
04-19-2013, 07:48 PM

My original post probably stemmed more from the fact that I'm a moderator at another sports site. We have noticed that when topics like this are started on the regular boards, there is a tendency for the discussion to sometimes suddenly devolve into a political shouting match. We try very hard to keep those sorts of discussions away from the sports discussions. So we set up a separate board specifically for "Politics and Religion." I'm one of only three mods who actually moderate in that section of the forum. It takes some dedication and a steady hand.

So maybe I was just extrapolating from a model that has worked well for us at the other site. It intuitively makes sense, too. But I trust the mods here to do their job and I'm not trying to step on any toes.

That makes sense. I have great sympathy for people who moderate internet boards, given how readily people take the opportunity to vent their spleens. One of the real pleasures of DBR is that most posters exercise fairly good self-restraint and the moderators jump in quickly when they don't.

devil84
04-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Just a bit of clarification here for all. We used to have a Public Policy Board (PPB). We shut that down in 2009 because of the difficulties of keeping the discussions civil. I'm glad it works for other sites, but we're not interested in revisiting a separate board again. We now do not allow any kind of PPB banter on this board.

If there is a story on the main page, we usually allow it to be discussed on the EK Board. If there's a news topic that doesn't have a corresponding front page story, we'll allow a thread on the Off-Topic Board. We watch these threads carefully. We'll allow civil discussion on the topic to take place, particularly as it is an important, historic event. Many people want to discuss it with their friends, whether in real life or on their favorite message board. However, we'll shut down (and issue infractions) for any PPB type of discussions or any other normal infractions (incivility, language, rumor mongering, etc.).

Threads have titles for a reason. If you want to know more about it, click on the title and read about it. Don't click on it if it doesn't interest you (whether it's about a current event, recruiting, players in the pros, or some other topic).

I hope this clarifies a few things.

A-Tex Devil
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
A person they think is suspect is on a boat in the backyard of a house in Watertown. Going to knock it over with an armored car. Stay tuned.

Caught. Alive. No one else hurt. Great news.

rsvman
04-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Just a bit of clarification here for all. We used to have a Public Policy Board (PPB). We shut that down in 2009 because of the difficulties of keeping the discussions civil. I'm glad it works for other sites, but we're not interested in revisiting a separate board again. We now do not allow any kind of PPB banter on this board.

If there is a story on the main page, we usually allow it to be discussed on the EK Board. If there's a news topic that doesn't have a corresponding front page story, we'll allow a thread on the Off-Topic Board. We watch these threads carefully. We'll allow civil discussion on the topic to take place, particularly as it is an important, historic event. Many people want to discuss it with their friends, whether in real life or on their favorite message board. However, we'll shut down (and issue infractions) for any PPB type of discussions or any other normal infractions (incivility, language, rumor mongering, etc.).

Threads have titles for a reason. If you want to know more about it, click on the title and read about it. Don't click on it if it doesn't interest you (whether it's about a current event, recruiting, players in the pros, or some other topic).

I hope this clarifies a few things.

Thanks. I think this policy works pretty well here at this particular site. That's a testament to both the regular posters and to the moderator team.

I, for one, certainly appreciate the ability to come to a board like this, where intelligent and civil discussions are the norm.

Thanks to all the board participants and to the moderators.

Newton_14
04-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Caught. Alive. No one else hurt. Great news.

Awesome news and glad they got him alive. Vital for any success at getting more details on the how's and why's of the bombings. Excellent job by all of the local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as vigilant community members who noticed the blood on the steps this morning, and the suspicious tears on the boat cover. Both community members did the right thing by immediately calling 911. All of these folks should be applauded. 4 days of hell, and the last 24 hours or so were just unreal. Major props to the many men and women in law enforcement involved in the shootout, car chase, and manhunt that began last night and finally ended tonight! Hell of a job.

Finally, mad props to the analysts that drew the assignment of reviewing thousands and thousands of video feeds and still photo's from the horrific events on Monday. I can't imagine how tiresome that must have been, yet they found their guys in 4 days! Again, hell of a job.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families impacted by this terrorist act, and to the residents of Massachusetts.

Here is a Turtle
04-19-2013, 11:06 PM
This felt like a Hollywood movie. Unreal. Glad that they finally caught him without any more casualties. It's a shame that it was an American citizen. Always disheartening attacked, but it adds salt when a fellow citizen is behind this.

It's far from over though. The trial will be a circus, and there are so many questions unanswered. I can't say I envy the lawyer that is going to have this case dumped on him.

Prayers go to all the families of the injured and dead. Krystle Campbell. Lu Lingzi. Martin Richard. Sean Collier. Hopefully, these names are the ones remembered. Not these guys that were out to do harm to innocents.

77devil
04-20-2013, 06:39 PM
No, I am not surprised. The FBI and others had the photos for a day or more -- did not make an ID -- then released to public -- et voila!

Something similar happened in the case of the DC sniper. The cops (finally -- remember the "white van" fales ID) had a good description of the vehicle and its license plate. They looked for it for 12 hours or more, then released it to the public (actually it was a leak just ahead of an intended release). A trucker or other citizen reported the car at a rest area off of I27-/I-70 in Maryland.

sagegrouse

Now we know that the FBI investigated the older brother in 2011 for potential involvement with radical Islam. I thought your analogy was weak to begin with but, in the aforementioned context, if the FBI really was really unable to make an ID, that's chilling.

DukeCrow
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Awesome news and glad they got him alive. Vital for any success at getting more details on the how's and why's of the bombings. Excellent job by all of the local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as vigilant community members who noticed the blood on the steps this morning, and the suspicious tears on the boat cover. Both community members did the right thing by immediately calling 911. All of these folks should be applauded. 4 days of hell, and the last 24 hours or so were just unreal. Major props to the many men and women in law enforcement involved in the shootout, car chase, and manhunt that began last night and finally ended tonight! Hell of a job.

Finally, mad props to the analysts that drew the assignment of reviewing thousands and thousands of video feeds and still photo's from the horrific events on Monday. I can't imagine how tiresome that must have been, yet they found their guys in 4 days! Again, hell of a job.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families impacted by this terrorist act, and to the residents of Massachusetts.

Indeed a great job by the vigilant community members. I wonder why law enforcement didn't inspect or notice anything suspicious about the boat during the lock down and door to door searches. (Maybe they didn't search that neigborhood?)

camion
04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Indeed a great job by the vigilant community members. I wonder why law enforcement didn't inspect or notice anything suspicious about the boat during the lock down and door to door searches. (Maybe they didn't search that neigborhood?)

I believe that street was slightly outside of their perimeter.

TruBlu
04-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I heard today on the news (sorry, can't remember who reported it), that the homeowner who spotted the suspicious stuff about the boat in his backyard actually stepped outside to smoke a cigarette.

And everyone says smokers are useless.:)

gus
04-22-2013, 05:44 PM
I heard today on the news (sorry, can't remember who reported it), that the homeowner who spotted the suspicious stuff about the boat in his backyard actually stepped outside to smoke a cigarette.

And everyone says smokers are useless.:)

The story I read is that he noticed the torn tarp, spotted some blood... and still poked his head in to investigate. As soon as I saw the blood, I think I would have been running in the other direction in a zig zag, calling 911.

Here's a story from Boston Medical Center about the status of many of the victims:

Boston Medical Center hoping for ‘mass exodus’ as amputees continue recovery at rehab hospitals (http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/22/boston-medical-center-see-mass-exodus-amputees-continue-recovery-rehab-hospitals/7wBQH2sd2AplxmwbF0HNNN/story.html)

One paragraph stood out for me:

[Dr.] Kalish also said that during the past seven days, military veterans who also underwent amputations for war-related wounds have come to the hospital and walked the halls with the patients, showing them “their life is not over.’’

I wouldn't have expected anything less, but it's still nice to read.

DukeCrow
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I believe that street was slightly outside of their perimeter.

It doesn't appear that was the case after all.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-30/boston-manhunt-missed-the-boat-as-police-skip-street.html

Newton_14
05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-30/boston-manhunt-missed-the-boat-as-police-skip-street.html

In the race to put out any information first, there were a lot of "facts" reported that were later found to be either offbase or out an out false. This is just another one.

One thing about this case that remains fascinating to me is the "story" of how the older brother died. Every news source is sticking with the "died in the shootout" meme, even though the police stated they had him on the ground and were cuffing him when the younger brother drove the SUV right at them and ran over his older brother dragging him down the street. If that's true, he did not "die in the shootout", he was killed by the younger brother running him over, yet no one has stated that in the many articles I have read from most of the major news outlets.

OldPhiKap
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
In the race to put out any information first, there were a lot of "facts" reported that were later found to be either offbase or out an out false. This is just another one.

One thing about this case that remains fascinating to me is the "story" of how the older brother died. Every news source is sticking with the "died in the shootout" meme, even though the police stated they had him on the ground and were cuffing him when the younger brother drove the SUV right at them and ran over his older brother dragging him down the street. If that's true, he did not "die in the shootout", he was killed by the younger brother running him over, yet no one has stated that in the many articles I have read from most of the major news outlets.

Agreed. The coroner has determined a cause of death, but will not release until the family claims the body as I understand it. Which is in process now.

The world of instant information requires a better internal filter. I wonder which will develop quicker.

Reilly
05-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks for posting -- interesting article. But the way I read it, it seems it might still have been the case.

gus
05-02-2013, 09:35 AM

This is unsuprising to me -- stories always get initially distorted and later refined. For example, I posted earlier that boat owner investigated because he saw blood... he later said he saw no blood outside the boat.

At any rate, I think it's still accurate to say the older brother died in the shootout -- the shootout seems to me to be the proximate cause. It is after all the reason the younger brother fled in the manner he did. People aren't saying "killed by the police".

ArnieMc
05-03-2013, 10:40 AM
In the race to put out any information first, there were a lot of "facts" reported that were later found to be either off base or out and out false. This is just another one.Yesterday, it was widely (but skeptically) reported that the shooter in the Houston airport was dressed as an elf. As it turned out, one of the original twitter reports described a self-inflicted gunshot wound - but omitted the "s".