PDA

View Full Version : IU transfer

luburch
04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Not really sure where this should go, but Remy Abell is transferring from IU. That means they lose four starters(all 1000 point scorers) and their seventh man.

BD80
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Not really sure where this should go, but Remy Abell is transferring from IU. That means they lose four starters(all 1000 point scorers) and their seventh man.

Is this just to clear space for Crean's oversigning practice?

luburch
04-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Is this just to clear space for Crean's oversigning practice?

That's my guess. His statement said he wanted more "playing time" but that doesn't add up to me.

MCFinARL
04-13-2013, 02:56 PM

There is a 2013 transfer thread that has fallen to the second page. Early entries and transfers do seem to go together, though, since they both affect what teams will look like next year

Channing
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
I just read that IU guard Remy Abel is transferring to look for a style of play that suits him more. Conveniently this opens enough scholarships for Crean to bring in all his freshmen recruits. That seems very kentuckyish ..l

BD80
04-14-2013, 02:32 AM
I just read that IU guard Remy Abel is transferring to look for a style of play that suits him more. Conveniently this opens enough scholarships for Crean to bring in all his freshmen recruits. That seems very kentuckyish ..l

Article on Crean oversigning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/83643/since-when-is-oversigning-ok

chaosmage
04-14-2013, 11:43 AM
and I thought it was interesting that the media are lambasting the coaches for using the system (although I don't agree with Kentucky), but we admonish the kids for going too early, or messing up the program they are leaving.

While I will never defend Kalamari, I do think that in a year when you know (for example, Parker or Irving in our case) a student will probably leave, to recruit that student's position, knowing that they are gone. I think Kentucky is putting the kids at a disadvantage to simply chase talent, while Indiana, as Crean even says, makes the situation obvious up front. Telling the kid we want you, but there is a CHANCE that you may not get a scholarship, and the student could probably get a scholly to another school in that case.

In this year's case, I think he knew from the beginning that Zeller and Oladipo were gone.

Thoughts?

brevity
04-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I do think that in a year when you know (for example, Parker or Irving in our case) a student will probably leave, to recruit that student's position, knowing that they are gone.

That doesn't sound like oversigning. That's just signing in anticipation of a soon-to-be-unused scholarship.

I thought the article was about something different: Tom Crean's practice of knowing that X number of players would leave, and offering (X+1) scholarships. There's little to no anticipation there at all. It gets into the murky area of anticipating a transfer vs. facilitating or forcing a transfer, in the chicken/egg scenario.

The practice, whether at Kentucky or Indiana or anywhere else, makes no sense to me. I'm not aware of a team that is so dependent on its 12th man. I understand that Crean would want to maximize his chances of future success by locking in players he wants as soon as possible, and sometimes there are more than 12 of them at a time. But come on, it's Indiana. Another potentially good player will be available for Crean in the next cycle.

I also don't understand the recruit's perspective in all of this. If the goal is to be part of a championship team, then I see the appeal of Indiana or Kentucky. But if the goal is becoming a star thanks to lots of playing time and exposure en route to a pro career, then any number of mid-tier BCS conference teams would suffice. Or a big program will little recent success, like Texas or UCLA. If I'm recruiting against Kentucky and Indiana, I would simply point out that a number of similar players already under scholarship are looking for the same thing, and that the potential to transfer or lose a scholarship altogether is greater.

luburch
04-24-2013, 04:30 PM
According to several sources, SG/SF Maurice Creek will also transfer. Not as much of a surprise, but still another player out the door.

FerryFor50
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Bumping this again.

Noah Vonleh will declare for the draft. Austin Etherington has asked for a release from the school. Luke Fischer transferred mid-season. And hearing reserve guard Jonny Marlin will transfer.

My, oh my.

Wither Tom Crean?

luburch
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Bumping this again.

Noah Vonleh will declare for the draft. Austin Etherington has asked for a release from the school. Luke Fischer transferred mid-season. And hearing reserve guard Jonny Marlin will transfer.

My, oh my.

luburch
03-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Wither Tom Crean?

It's been reported he currently has a $14 million buyout. Looks like he might be there a little longer.

luburch
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Pile it on:

@Justin_Albers: Per a source, Jeremy Hollowell plans to meet with coaching staff today to let them know he will seek a transfer. #iubb

roywhite
03-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Wither Tom Crean?

No info on that, but I recall that he really ticked off quite a few Marquette fans. They didn't care for him at all. Called him Mr. Fake Bake (for his apparent fondness for winter time tanning) and thought he was a huge phony.

Somewhat related -- did we ever find out what caused Kyrie and his dad Drederick to kick IU to the curb during the recruiting process? They were unhappy about something, if I recall.

luburch
03-24-2014, 05:49 PM
No info on that, but I recall that he really ticked off quite a few Marquette fans. They didn't care for him at all. Called him Mr. Fake Bake (for his apparent fondness for winter time tanning) and thought he was a huge phony.

Somewhat related -- did we ever find out what caused Kyrie and his dad Drederick to kick IU to the curb during the recruiting process? They were unhappy about something, if I recall.

This is the sentiment of most IU fans. He constantly is throwing players under the bus and making excuses. And his in-game coaching is...lacking. To put it nicely.

Also, two more walk-ons will be transferring as well.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Interesting developments. Not sure why IU is all of a sudden "not the place to be"

In their defense, this is prime transfer time and they do have a few top 100 commits lined up along with Yogi Ferrell coming back and 3-4 freshmen that got a lot of playing time.

Henderson
03-25-2014, 12:02 AM
You know, I never really paid much attention to Tom Crean. So I went to his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(basketball)). Apparently he's a god-like creature who has overcome insurmountable hurdles to achieve titanic success.

If I had a wiki page, I'd write it myself too.

And yes, he does have a very orange and unnaturally even tan in the wiki photo.

Des Esseintes
03-25-2014, 01:30 AM
You know, I never really paid much attention to Tom Crean. So I went to his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(basketball)). Apparently he's a god-like creature who has overcome insurmountable hurdles to achieve titanic success.

If I had a wiki page, I'd write it myself too.

And yes, he does have a very orange and unnaturally even tan in the wiki photo.

Brother, you ain't joking. Wow. You all owe it to yourselves to read that wikipedia page. Imagine the most irritating Christmas letter an associate might send out, and then imagine it being addressed to the entire world.

"Crean is also known to excel in public relations." Heh.

jv001
03-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Some interesting notes: Creen coached under Tom Izzo and lived with Izzo for a while. They remain good friends(I guess). Creen is married to the football Harbaughs, sister. In 2012-2013 Creen landed one of the best recruiting classes in IU history(on paper). Creen called the recruiting class "The Movement". The 2012-2013 team went on to be recognized as the biggest underachievers in NCAA history. Creen later called the recruiting class the "Bowel Movement". The bio also said that he additionally prepared beleaguered fans for more BMs to come in his tenure. Creen is signed to 2020. What a coach! GoDuke!

Bluedog
03-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Wow, that's a lot of transfers. Check out Indiana's recruiting picture:
http://verbalcommits.com/schools/indiana

A lot of guys in "gray" (and many more to come) and 20 open offers to the HS Class of 2015!

sagegrouse
03-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Wither Tom Crean?

I think your malaprop is right on. It's not a "whither" he goes; it's that we get to watch Coach Cream "wither" in on the vine at Indiana.

pfrduke
03-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Some interesting notes: Creen coached under Tom Izzo and lived with Izzo for a while. They remain good friends(I guess). Creen is married to the football Harbaughs, sister. In 2012-2013 Creen landed one of the best recruiting classes in IU history(on paper). Creen called the recruiting class "The Movement". The 2012-2013 team went on to be recognized as the biggest underachievers in NCAA history. Creen later called the recruiting class the "Bowel Movement". The bio also said that he additionally prepared beleaguered fans for more BMs to come in his tenure. Creen is signed to 2020. What a coach! GoDuke!

There's almost no way that bowel movement thing is accurate. That smacks of an upset fan messing with the wikipedia entry.

mcdukie
03-25-2014, 09:02 AM
So my question now is how good is the BIG 10 going to be next season? Could Maryland be moving to an easier conference?

luburch
11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
When it rains, it pours.

At the end of last year, Yogi Ferrell and Stan Robinson were arrested for attempting to enter a bar with fake IDs and illegal consumption.

Friday night, Freshman Emmitt Holt struck teammate Devin Davis with a moving vehicle. Davis, who had been drinking, jumped in front of Holt's car, who had also been drinking.

Today, sophomore Troy Williams and Stan Robinson were suspended for failed drug tests.

When it rains, it pours.

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11816835/devin-davis-indiana-hoosiers-fault-car-accident-police-say

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11816897/indiana-hoosiers-suspend-troy-williams-stanford-robinson-failed-drug-tests

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/11/03/doyel-crean-failing-these-hoosiers-on-and-off-court/18439637/

OldPhiKap
11-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Tom Crean seems like a good guy (from my casually car seat at least). This year is gonna be bumpy for him though.

ChillinDuke
11-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Tom Crean seems like a good guy (from my casually car seat at least). This year is gonna be bumpy for him though.

He does? I haven't heard good things from my car seat.

But I don't know the guy personally and have no links to share.

- Chillin

luburch
11-04-2014, 11:31 AM
He does? I haven't heard good things from my car seat.

But I don't know the guy personally and have no links to share.

- Chillin

He doesn't have a whole lot of fans in Bloomington. Or in general.

Skitzle
11-05-2014, 05:48 AM
I LOVE TOM CREAN.

If I'm not mistaken he had a big hand in Kyrie Irving coming to Duke.

*SPECULATION AND RUMOR SEE UPDATE* Can't seem to find a link, but I remember hearing it was pretty much down to IU and Duke, and despite Kyrie's Father's insistence that the coaches speak directly to him, Crean still tried to go through a handler. This ticked off Poppa Irving*END OF SPECULATION* and ended IU's shot at landing our only current NBA All-Star.

Update: Yea, My story is probably just a rumor, but it was a 2 horse race between IU and Duke and then something happened at the in-home with Crean and I remember hearing about some issues with Poppa Irving and Crean and 4 days later IU was out and Duke was a front runner by a long shot.

Henderson
11-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Tom Crean has blamed the problems with IU basketball on a lack leadership. But it's the players, not him.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11830257/tom-crean-admits-there-great-leadership-indiana