PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scheyer taking over Nate James' previous spot as special asst

Hancock 4 Duke
04-13-2013, 09:02 PM
According to a tweet from Jeff Goodman: https://twitter.com/goodmancbs/status/323236848459718656

Native
04-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Would be an awesome, awesome, awesome move. Hope it's true.

sporthenry
04-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm torn. Obviously love to see him back at Duke but would have loved to have seen him have a nice professional career first. Stupid eye injury. Although I guess if things aren't going to work out, there are much worse alternatives to sitting on the Duke bench.

moonpie23
04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
AWESOME......hope it happens!!

BlueDevilBrowns
04-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Scheyer would be a fine choice but, if it happens, I'd be a little surprised.

I thought Chris Carrawell would have taken Nate's old spot.

Either way, I'm happy!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-13-2013, 10:25 PM
According to a tweet from Jeff Goodman: https://twitter.com/goodmancbs/status/323236848459718656

The tweet says special assistant to Coach K, not assistant coach.

subzero02
04-13-2013, 10:33 PM
The tweet says special assistant to Coach K, not assistant coach.

But it did say he would be filling the position that Nate held...

Son of Jarhead
04-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Scheyer would be a fine choice but, if it happens, I'd be a little surprised.

I thought Chris Carrawell would have taken Nate's old spot.

Either way, I'm happy!

Just FYI, Chris is currently an assistant with the Springfield Armor of the NBA D-League: http://www.nba.com/dleague/springfield/test_contact_page_2011_12_29.html

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-13-2013, 10:53 PM
But it did say he would be filling the position that Nate held...
Nate has not been an assistant coach for the past couple of years. He's been a special assistant to Coach K.

Olympic Fan
04-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Nate has not been an assistant coach for the past couple of years. He's been a special assistant to Coach K.

Nate was an assistant coach for three years ... he gave up the coaching spot to open up a place of Jeff Capel. He's been special assistant to K for gthe last two years. Now he replaces Collins on staff and -- apparently -- Scheyer will replace Nate as special assistant (and coach in waiting?)

Zeb
04-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Scheyer is a great guy--but then again most Duke players are great guys. However Jon is especially funny, enthusiastic, and charming. And he was a hell of a player for Duke. If this turns out to be true, I think he will make a fantastic addition to the staff.

BD80
04-14-2013, 02:00 AM
demographically, he is a pretty good replacement for Collins.

Has Chris filled out his staff at NW? I expected him to take at least somebody from the Duke staff with him.

sporthenry
04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
demographically, he is a pretty good replacement for Collins.

Has Chris filled out his staff at NW? I expected him to take at least somebody from the Duke staff with him.

Chris hired Paulus which might as well be off the Duke staff. And he also kept on a NW assistant who helped with recruiting. Speculation is that his dad is going to fill out the roster as his tenure with the 76ers ends unceremoniously.

MCFinARL
04-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Chris hired Paulus which might as well be off the Duke staff. And he also kept on a NW assistant who helped with recruiting. Speculation is that his dad is going to fill out the roster as his tenure with the 76ers ends unceremoniously.

The Paulus hire has been rumored but I don't think it has happened as of now. So far the only official hire Collins has made, according to the NU basketball website, is to retain assistant Tavaras Hardy.

jimsumner
04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Like others, I was hoping this day would come around 2025, after Jon's long NBA career ended.

G man
04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Like others, I was hoping this day would come around 2025, after Jon's long NBA career ended.

Yeah I agree this makes me sad. I have a ton of respect for Jon and I wish he could have played a while in the league, but if he can't do that glad he is with Duke!

DevilHorse
04-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Jon was a great intangibles guy, selfless, played seemingly out of position with intelligence, and if I may say, would be the the best Game Face Coach in the business ;^0

Larry
DevilHorse

miramar
04-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I would be delighted for Jon if this worked out, but I also regret that his professional career has never worked out as expected.

In the Spanish league he is only shooting 30% on two pointers, 35% on threes, and 68% on free throws, so it appears that Jon was never able to overcome the eye injury.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Jon_Scheyer/Herbalife_Gran_Canaria_2014/109539?AmNotSure=1

BD80
04-14-2013, 10:55 PM

Looks like Daddy Doug is available:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--doug-collins-tells-sixers-he-doesn-t-want-to-return-as-coach-021305354.html

licc85
04-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Looks like Daddy Doug is available:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--doug-collins-tells-sixers-he-doesn-t-want-to-return-as-coach-021305354.html

I wish Chris the best and hope he has long term success at NW, but selfishly, I'd like to see Doug back in the booth commentating. He's the best color commentator of all time. He's a good coach, but it's time for Michael Jordan to get back to playing basketball, if you know what I mean.

MCFinARL
04-15-2013, 11:49 AM
So, has anyone reported a source for the Scheyer story other than Goodman's tweet? I notice that the Chronicle blog story linked on the front page relies on this tweet and notes that, in an earlier interview they did with Scheyer, he made a joke that Coach K offered him the special assistant job (in response to a question from the Chronicle reporter). Is there any chance this isn't a real story at all but just someone's misunderstanding of the joke Scheyer made earlier?

Duvall
04-15-2013, 12:36 PM
So, has anyone reported a source for the Scheyer story other than Goodman's tweet? I notice that the Chronicle blog story linked on the front page relies on this tweet and notes that, in an earlier interview they did with Scheyer, he made a joke that Coach K offered him the special assistant job (in response to a question from the Chronicle reporter). Is there any chance this isn't a real story at all but just someone's misunderstanding of the joke Scheyer made earlier?

N&O reporting that Scheyer will be joining the Duke staff. (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/good-chance-jon-scheyer-will-join-duke-coaching-staff)

OZ
04-15-2013, 12:52 PM
This is the first time in a long time, that I have been this pleased about an assistant coach... I loved this guy!

flyingdutchdevil
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
This is the first time in a long time, that I have been this pleased about an assistant coach... I loved this guy!

Really? I thought Capel was a diamond-in-the-rough get. Scheyer will certainly be an asset, but Capel had a track record of fantastic recruiting coupled with head coaching experience.

MCFinARL
04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
N&O reporting that Scheyer will be joining the Duke staff. (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/good-chance-jon-scheyer-will-join-duke-coaching-staff)

Great, thanks for posting that! Scheyer always struck me as a future coach, and I'm glad he will have a chance to start at Duke.

BigWayne
04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
The Paulus hire has been rumored but I don't think it has happened as of now. So far the only official hire Collins has made, according to the NU basketball website, is to retain assistant Tavaras Hardy.

It's reported that he hired his old HS coach, who is on his Dad's staff at the 76ers.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/report-76ers-assistant-brian-james-to-join-chris-collins-at-northwestern/

gep
04-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Jon was a great intangibles guy, selfless, played seemingly out of position with intelligence, and if I may say, would be the the best Game Face Coach in the business ;^0

Larry
DevilHorse

Got this from the Jon Scheyer Foundation website (http://jonscheyer.com) ...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-16-2013, 05:01 AM
Great, thanks for posting that! Scheyer always struck me as a future coach, and I'm glad he will have a chance to start at Duke.

I'm pleased he will be at Duke too, and he will probably get some minutes, but I think we have way too much talent at the 1 and 2 next year for him to start. He will have to earn that role with defense and effort in practice like everyone else.

:cool:

Welcome back, Jon! Go Duke!

rsvman
04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Awesome. Count me in as another huge Scheyer fan.

I don't know if anybody but me remembers this or not, but everytime I think about the title game with Butler I remember Scheyer quite unexpectedly slam-dunking home a missed Miles Plumlee shot. Miles was mugged on the shot with no call, and as I was about to shout at the referee, Scheyer jumped up, caught the ball just outside the cylinder, and slammed it back in.

I insist that that's the bucket the got us the title. :)

MCFinARL
04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm pleased he will be at Duke too, and he will probably get some minutes, but I think we have way too much talent at the 1 and 2 next year for him to start. He will have to earn that role with defense and effort in practice like everyone else.

:cool:

Welcome back, Jon! Go Duke!

Can't spork you so will post to say that was awesome.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Can't spork you so will post to say that was awesome.

Thanks. I couldn't decide whether to go with that route, or the "I hear Sulaimon is going to transfer as a result" route. Or "will K finally go 8 deep?"

Glad to know my humor is appreciated. Keep those sporks comin'and Go Duke!

jv001
04-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Awesome. Count me in as another huge Scheyer fan.

I don't know if anybody but me remembers this or not, but everytime I think about the title game with Butler I remember Scheyer quite unexpectedly slam-dunking home a missed Miles Plumlee shot. Miles was mugged on the shot with no call, and as I was about to shout at the referee, Scheyer jumped up, caught the ball just outside the cylinder, and slammed it back in.

I insist that that's the bucket the got us the title. :)

Put me in the Scheyer fan club. I know that Jumbo was a huge Scheyer fan as well. I sure miss Jumbo's posts. We have/had the most knowledgable basketball fans on this site. I hope Jumbo is doing well and God bless him and his family. GoDuke!

Indoor66
04-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Put me in the Scheyer fan club. I know that Jumbo was a huge Scheyer fan as well. I sure miss Jumbo's posts. We have/had the most knowledgable basketball fans on this site. I hope Jumbo is doing well and God bless him and his family. GoDuke!

I echo your entire post. We need Jumbo back to counter some of the BS I see posted here - in the guise of informed opinion.

AncientPsychicT
04-16-2013, 07:09 PM

As fans of the Scheyer, we should call ourselves hobbits.

;) :o :cool:

MartyClark
04-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Jon Scheyer is my favorite Duke player of all time.

I don't want to ask in insensitive question but there where several refernces to Jumbo. Why?

MartyClark
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Just read my post which wasn't well written. i meant to ask two things. What's the connection between Jumbo and Jon Scheyer? I also meant to inquire concerning Jumbo's status and whether he is doing well. The latter may not be my business but, in any event, I wish him well.

Mudge
04-17-2013, 07:53 PM
I would be delighted for Jon if this worked out, but I also regret that his professional career has never worked out as expected.

In the Spanish league he is only shooting 30% on two pointers, 35% on threes, and 68% on free throws, so it appears that Jon was never able to overcome the eye injury.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Jon_Scheyer/Herbalife_Gran_Canaria_2014/109539?AmNotSure=1

If people are honest, they will acknowledge that (despite many statements on this board about Scheyer's likely "draftability", while Scheyer was still playing in college), he was not drafted, and even before the eye injury, it never looked likely that he was going to make an NBA roster, let alone have a long, productive NBA career.

Acymetric
04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
If people are honest, they will acknowledge that (despite many statements on this board about Scheyer's likely "draftability", while Scheyer was still playing in college), he was not drafted, and even before the eye injury, it never looked likely that he was going to make an NBA roster, let alone have a long, productive NBA career.

While he was probably never going to be a star or even regular starter, it is not far fetched to have thought that he might have a successful career as a bench player in the NBA. I could be wrong but I seem to remember some positive comments about him from the staff before the eye injury.

Des Esseintes
04-18-2013, 01:11 AM

Yes, it's time we were honest. All of us who have been living a lie these past few seasons and telling the world Jon Scheyer was drafted when he wasn't, it's time to come clean. Jon Scheyer went undrafted. Feels good to step out of the shadows and into the sunlight and admit it.

Seriously, guy, what is your deal? No one in this thread claimed that Scheyer was drafted. No one in this thread said he was guaranteed to have made the Association pre-injury. They only said they were sorry his playing career was cut short. Because, ah, he was a magnificent player at Duke, one of the most cheer-forable people we've ever had, and a freak injury destroyed his chances. Near as I can tell, this post of yours has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and everything to do with relitigating some dead debate or other from three years ago. And what better forum to do that than a thread welcoming a beloved former player back as a member of the coaching staff?

For those not currently ranting to an attic full of stuffed animals, Scheyer went undrafted and was picked up (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5367416) by the Miami Heat the year the Big Three signed. Nothing was for certain, but the Heat needed guys on minimum contracts at that time. Scheyer was getting a long look from them as a backup point guard to Chalmers when that bizarre eye thing happened. Were Jon's chances better than 50% to make the team? I have no idea. I do know, though, that they had to give serious playoff minutes to the corpse of Mike Bibby because point was such a wasteland position for them.

MChambers
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Just read my post which wasn't well written. i meant to ask two things. What's the connection between Jumbo and Jon Scheyer? I also meant to inquire concerning Jumbo's status and whether he is doing well. The latter may not be my business but, in any event, I wish him well.

Jumbo was a big supporter of Scheyer early on, and was able to see past Scheyer's alarming unathleticism to realize what a wonderful player he was. I think that's all, except that Jumbo may have confessed to a man crush on Scheyer.

rsvman
04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Yes, it's time we were honest. All of us who have been living a lie these past few seasons and telling the world Jon Scheyer was drafted when he wasn't, it's time to come clean. Jon Scheyer went undrafted. Feels good to step out of the shadows and into the sunlight and admit it.

Seriously, guy, what is your deal? No one in this thread claimed that Scheyer was drafted. No one in this thread said he was guaranteed to have made the Association pre-injury. They only said they were sorry his playing career was cut short. Because, ah, he was a magnificent player at Duke, one of the most cheer-forable people we've ever had, and a freak injury destroyed his chances. Near as I can tell, this post of yours has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and everything to do with relitigating some dead debate or other from three years ago. And what better forum to do that than a thread welcoming a beloved former player back as a member of the coaching staff?

For those not currently ranting to an attic full of stuffed animals, Scheyer went undrafted and was picked up (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5367416) by the Miami Heat the year the Big Three signed. Nothing was for certain, but the Heat needed guys on minimum contracts at that time. Scheyer was getting a long look from them as a backup point guard to Chalmers when that bizarre eye thing happened. Were Jon's chances better than 50% to make the team? I have no idea. I do know, though, that they had to give serious playoff minutes to the corpse of Mike Bibby because point was such a wasteland position for them.

Preach on.

Not allowed to spork you because apparently I agree with you way too often, but this post is excellent. Thanks.

Jumbo
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM

Thank you! That's very kind. All is well with me, thanks. Hope the same for you.

jv001
04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Thank you! That's very kind. All is well with me, thanks. Hope the same for you.

Great to hear from you and I hope you post more often. Missed that and GoDuke!

Kfanarmy
04-18-2013, 08:41 PM
One of my all time favorite players...was just amazing watching him methodically dribble through and around interior players to score...didn't do it with blazing speed but with incredible precision.

MCFinARL
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Duke has now formally announced the addition of Jon Scheyer to the staff. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207471663&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Dev11
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Duke has now formally announced the addition of Jon Scheyer to the staff. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207471663&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Because Andre Dawkins is staying for his fifth year, he will have had Jon as both a teammate and a coach. A number of players, I believe, also experienced this with Steve Wojociechowski. Just an interesting thought

CDu
04-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Because Andre Dawkins is staying for his fifth year, he will have had Jon as both a teammate and a coach. A number of players, I believe, also experienced this with Steve Wojociechowski. Just an interesting thought

Battier, Simpson, James, Carrawell, and Christensen are (I believe) the guys on that list.

licc85
04-29-2013, 11:39 PM
I was just thinking, wouldn't Jon Scheyer be just as good, if not better than any of our wings next year? Are special assistants allowed to practice against current players? Should be a great asset both on the court and on the sidelines in practice :)

Tappan Zee Devil
04-30-2013, 07:44 AM
I was just thinking, wouldn't Jon Scheyer be just as good, if not better than any of our wings next year? Are special assistants allowed to practice against current players? Should be a great asset both on the court and on the sidelines in practice :)

Yeah, he would - but I believe "Special Assistants" are not allowed to actually coach live practices.

MCFinARL
04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah, he would - but I believe "Special Assistants" are not allowed to actually coach live practices.

Could a special assistant work one on one with guards during the off season, or for that matter during the season?

gep
05-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Are special assistants allowed to practice against current players?

Could a special assistant work one on one with guards during the off season, or for that matter during the season?

So... "special assistants" can do individual workout/practices with players? If so... what a big bonus :cool:

p.s. Jon is one of my FAVORITE Duke players in the recent past... and SO happy he's back at Duke... and on the coaching staff, no less.