PDA

View Full Version : A place ... and the singer that best represents it

Reilly
04-13-2013, 07:58 PM
NJ ... Bruce Springsteen

NYC ... Frank Sinatra

DC .... Mary Chapin Carpenter (or, maybe Roberta Flack .... or, maybe Marvin Gaye ... damn, this is hard)

..... carry on ....

BD80
04-14-2013, 02:17 AM
Margaritaville ...

Jarhead
04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Wastin' away in
Margaritaville (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUTf5qvS0Lo) ...Jimmy Buffet.

Indoor66
04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Tony Bennett - San Francisco

Ray Charles & Charlie Daniels - Georgia

Freddy Cannon - Tallahassee

Glenn Campbell - Wichita

Waylon Jennings - Luckenbach

John Denver - Colorado

Johnny Cash - Gatlinberg

Connie Boswell - Moon Over Miami

Beach Boys - California Dreamin

Frank - New York, New York

Frank - Chicago

Fats Domino - Kansas City

Louis Armstrong & Billie Holliday - St. Louis Blues

duke74
04-14-2013, 10:02 AM
NJ ... Bruce Springsteen

NYC ... Frank Sinatra

DC .... Mary Chapin Carpenter (or, maybe Roberta Flack .... or, maybe Marvin Gaye ... damn, this is hard)

..... carry on ....

Forest Hills, Queens, NY ... Simon & Garfunkel or the Ramones - all depends on your taste

BD80
04-14-2013, 10:32 AM

John Denver - Colorado

Sorry, his Country Road leads to West Virginia

DU82
04-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Sorry, his Country Road leads to West Virginia

But he's Rocky Mountain High in Colorado.

Indoor66
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Johnny Horton - New Orleans & Alaska

Merle Haggard - Okie From Muskogee

Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama

Johnny Cash - San Quentin & Folsom Prison

Billy Joel - New York State of Mind

Joni Mitchell - California

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Ohio

The Mammas and the Pappas - California Dreamin'

Willie Nelson - City of new Orleans

John Davidson - By the Time I get to Phoenix

Dionne Warwick - Do you know the way to San Jose

and these -

Mark Lindsay - Arizona

Albert Hammond - It Never Rains in Southern California

Billi Joel - Allentown

Beach Boys - California Girls

Supertramp - Breakfast in America

Steely Dan - Brooklyn (Owes The Charmer Under Me)

The Doors - L.A. Woman

Dionne Warwick - Do You Know The Way To San Jose

Billy Joel - New York State of Mind

In A New York Minute................................ Don Henley

Led Zepplin - Going to California

ZZ Top - La Grange

Paper ace - The Night Chicago Died

Vickie Lawrence - The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia

Elton John - Philadelphia Freedom

Fifth Dimension - California Soul

Dave Loggins - Please Come To Boston

Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn

Bill Conti - Philadelphia Morning

Bertie Higgins - Key Largo

Ronnie Milsap - Smoky Mountain Rain

Phoebe Snowv - There's A Boat That's Leavin' Soon For New York

Manhattan Transfer - The Boy From New York City

Marty Robbins - El Paso

Jewel - Stephenville Texas

Dave Shire - Manhattan Skyline

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia

The Mammas & The Pappas - California Dreamin'

BD80
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM

John Davidson - By the Time I get to Phoenix ...

You're doing this on purpose to compel me to betray my considerable age ...

Glen Campbell. Sure, he looked like John Davidson, and they both devolved into cheesey TV personas, but Glen owned the song. Since nobody is really a Phoenix native, he might as well have the city.

Indoor66
04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
You're doing this on purpose to compel me to betray my considerable age ...

Glen Campbell. Sure, he looked like John Davidson, and they both devolved into cheesey TV personas, but Glen owned the song. Since nobody is really a Phoenix native, he might as well have the city.

Yeah, I realized my error too late to correct. We are both toooooooooooooooooo old. :cool:

killerleft
04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
John Davidson? John Davidson? It's just John Davidson. John Davidson? Are you kiddin' me?

Lol, I lived through his heyday and had to look him up to help me remember who he was. Glen Campbell, now there's a singer worth associating with Phoenix, and maybe Albuquerque.

Johnny Cash has an edge on virtually everybody mentioned, with I've Been Everywhere, Man:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/ivebeeneverywhere.html

Unfortunately, an acqaintance of mine has memorized this song. Fortunately, he has only sung it in my presence only once.:)

"I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma..."

mph
04-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Two bands I think represent the "sound" of their place:

Athens, Ga - REM
Seattle, Wa - Nirvana

rsvman
04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Two bands I think represent the "sound" of their place:

Athens, Ga - REM
Seattle, Wa - Nirvana

True, even though Nirvana is not from Seattle. Their sound was quickly associated with Seattle due to a number of other bands in the area that essentially rode on Nirvana's success, including (but not limited to) The Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, etc.

weezie
04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Kid Rock - DETROIT :cool:

orrrrrr Eminem

sue71, esq
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Elvis- Viva Las Vegas

Jim3k
04-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Elvis- Viva Las Vegas

Or...Kentucky rain.

Oh hell, he lived (lives on) in Memphis.

sue71, esq
04-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Elvis- Viva Las Vegas

Or...Kentucky rain.

Yeah, I know... I waffled on Memphis. It's a close second in my mind. But I'll always think of him as Vegas first. Viva Las Vegas is my parents' ringtone on my phone (they live there). And I used to live there, too.

BD80
04-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Or...Kentucky rain.

According to Agent K (Men in Black), Elvis is not dead, he just went home, off-planet.

TruBlu
04-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Dark Side of the Moon - - Pink Floyd

Foggy Mountain - - Lester Flat & Earl Scrugs

DU82
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Fats Domino - Kansas City

Wibert Harrison.

Fats can have Blueberry Hill. :-)

Olympic Fan
04-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Does North Carolina get to claim James Taylor?

I know he was born in Boston, but he grew up in Chapel Hill and one of his first big hits (after he had moved to California) was "Carolina in My Mind."

-jk
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Does North Carolina get to claim James Taylor?

I know he was born in Boston, but he grew up in Chapel Hill and one of his first big hits (after he had moved to California) was "Carolina in My Mind."

If anyone gets Chapel Hill, it should be Mike Cross.

-jk

sagegrouse
04-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Chatttanooga -- Glen Miller

Gary, Indiana -- Meredith Willson (sung by the Paroo family in 76 Trombones)

Charleston -- Elisabeth Welch in Runnin Wild

Jackson, Tennessee or Mississippi (your choice) -- Nancy Sinatra

LA -- Guy Clark or Jerry Jeff Walker (LA Freeway)

Wichita -- Glen Campbell

Phoenix -- Glen Campbell

Galveston -- Glen Campbell

Tulsa -- Gene Pitney (24 Hours from ____)

Amarillo -- George Strait

Ah, well -- enough from the old guy.

Sagegrouse

devildeac
04-15-2013, 08:15 AM

-jk

Or the Squirrel Nut Zippers. After all, they did originate there AND sing about Hell...

;)

devildeac
04-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Heaven-Led Zeppelin

Hell-AC/DC

Brian913
04-15-2013, 08:29 AM
John Davidson? John Davidson? It's just John Davidson. John Davidson? Are you kiddin' me?

Lol, I lived through his heyday and had to look him up to help me remember who he was.

John Davidson's brother was my freshman roommate at Duke

TruBlu
04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Beverly Hills - - Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs -- "Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed . . . "

Wolverton Mountain - - Claude King

Alabama - - Alabama (of course)

NashvilleDevil
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Houston - Dean Martin
San Antonio - Charley Pride
Jackson - Johnny and June Carter Cash
London - The Clash
Right Here - Jesus Jones

OZZIE4DUKE
04-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Beverly Hills - - Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs -- "Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed . . . "

Ding ding ding! We have our winner! :cool: http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

hurleyfor3
04-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Johnny Cash, everywhere.

(Yes, I know the song isn't his.)

Dev11
04-15-2013, 04:47 PM

-jk

Ben Folds?

duke79
04-15-2013, 04:55 PM
It would be hard to dispute that North Carolina should be represented by James Taylor and his song "Carolina on my mind." My guess is that he has performed that song thousands of times (maybe tens of thousands of times) all over the world and has been a great ambassador for the state wherever he goes (although he hasn't actually lived in NC since high school, I believe).

Of course, people who live in Western Massachusetts where James now lives with his wife and two sons like to claim him as one of their own, especially when he sings Sweet Baby James at local concerts:

Now the first of December was covered with snow
And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
Though the Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go

moonpie23
04-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Ben Folds?

the most successful bands to come out of Chapel Hill (not counting james taylor) would be

Zippers
Ben Folds
Superchunk
Flat Duo Jets

------

others:

Charleston - Darius Rucker
Greenville SC - Edwin Mccain
Spartanburg - Doug Gray (Marshall Tucker Band)

Taylors SC - Doug Jones (Cravin' Melon)

Raleigh - Mike Dean (C.O.C)

Raleigh/Durham - Clay aiken

i didn't mean to get caught up in this thread...

Indoor66
04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
the most successful bands to come out of Chapel Hill (not counting james taylor) would be

Zippers
Ben Folds
Superchunk
Flat Duo Jets

------

others:

Charleston - Darius Rucker
Greenville SC - Edwin Mccain
Spartanburg - Doug Gray (Marshall Tucker Band)

Taylors SC - Doug Jones (Cravin' Melon)

Raleigh - Mike Dean (C.O.C)

Raleigh/Durham - Clay aiken

i didn't mean to get caught up in this thread...

Henderson, NC - Ben E. King of The Drifters and Stand By Me fame.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Well, if you guys don't mind a little ancient history, two of the great big bands of the 40s traced their roots to Duke and UNC.

The Duke band was led by Duke student Les Brown. Originally, it was Les Brown and his Blue Devils ... but it became famous as Les Brown and his Band of Renown. The band was popular before the war, but not at a level with Glenn Miller or Tommy Dorsey. But towards the end of WWII, Brown's band took off, thanks to a young female vocalist named Dinah Shore. She sang -- and Brown's band backed up -- one of the biggest hits of the 40s -- Sentimental Journey. Later, the band backed up Bob Hope on many of his USO tours -- it was during one of these that Les Brown introduced a singer who was discovered by Hope -- Tony Bennett. The band appeared in several movies (including the original "The Nutty Professor") and was a major force on TV (the house band for both the Steve Allen Show -- which was the original Tonight Show -- and for the Dean Martin variety show.

Les Brown is dead, but the Band of Renown is still in action, now led by his son, Les Brown Jr.

Their "rival" in the 40s was Kay Kyser's band. Kyser grew up in Rocky Mount and was a UNC cheerleader who took over a band in Chapel Hill in the late 30s. Whereas Brown's band was a typical (although superior) big band of the era, Kyser's was more of a musical novelty group that styled itself as "Kay Kyser's Kollege of Musical Knowledge. They had a great novelty hit during the war "Three Little Fishes" and a minor hit right after Pearl Harbor with the patriotic ditty "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition". Kyser's comic sidekick-- Ish Kabbible -- became a star in the 40s too.

Kyser's band also appeared in movies and on TV.

I don't think either band was famous for a song that highlighted Duke or UNC or their North Carolina roots, but both were HUGE names in the music business.

Brian913
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, if you guys don't mind a little ancient history, two of the great big bands of the 40s traced their roots to Duke and UNC.

The Duke band was led by Duke student Les Brown. Originally, it was Les Brown and his Blue Devils ... but it became famous as Les Brown and his Band of Renown. The band was popular before the war, but not at a level with Glenn Miller or Tommy Dorsey. But towards the end of WWII, Brown's band took off, thanks to a young female vocalist named Dinah Shore. She sang -- and Brown's band backed up -- one of the biggest hits of the 40s -- Sentimental Journey. Later, the band backed up Bob Hope on many of his USO tours -- it was during one of these that Les Brown introduced a singer who was discovered by Hope -- Tony Bennett. The band appeared in several movies (including the original "The Nutty Professor") and was a major force on TV (the house band for both the Steve Allen Show -- which was the original Tonight Show -- and for the Dean Martin variety show.

Les Brown is dead, but the Band of Renown is still in action, now led by his son, Les Brown Jr.

I don't think either band was famous for a song that highlighted Duke or UNC or their North Carolina roots, but both were HUGE names in the music business.

Doris Day, not Dinah Shore.

When I was a student back in the early 70s we found boxes of 78rpm albums (about 10 or 12 records in a box set) of Les Brown and the Blue Devils performing the Blue and White, Fight Song, Alma Mater etc., in the Chapel basement. A few years later, the administration found them and sold them through the alumni magazine.

Duke79UNLV77
04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Dublin - U2
Liverpool-The Beatles
Toronto - Rush
New Orleans - Louis Armstrong
Austin - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Indiana - John Mellencamp
Chicago - Buddy Guy
Mississippi - Muddy Waters
Berlin - Hasslehoff

DukieInKansas
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
According to Agent K (Men in Black), Elvis is not dead, he just went home, off-planet.

I thought he was working at a K-Mart in Minnesota.

mike88
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Who gets to claim MInneapolis / St Paul?

Bob Dylan?

Paul Westerberg?

Bob Mould?

Prince?

or maybe Craig Finn . . .

Dukeface88
04-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Florida (well, Jacksonville/Gainsville at least) - Molly Hatchet (Gator Country)

Olympic Fan
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
I think this tread has really spun out of control -- and I'm as guilty of it as anybody.

The original idea seemed to be singers that "represent" certain regions of the country. We've devolved it into a long list of where singers were born or grew up.

BD80
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
I think this tread has really spun out of control -- and I'm as guilty of it as anybody.

The original idea seemed to be singers that "represent" certain regions of the country. We've devolved it into a long list of where singers were born or grew up.

... or had a song with the name of a place in it.

To try to nudge it back, just as Springstein was the sound and soul of Jersey, Billy Joel was entirely Longg Gisland (he was no Uptown Guy)

CameronBornAndBred
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM

-jk
I was going through this thread to make sure someone gave him Chapel Hill (and the Cat's Cradle).

Dev11
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Fine.

If you're a jam fan, Boulder is either String Cheese Incident or Yonder Mountain String Band. It's close, but I'd give it to SCI for longevity.

San Francisco? The Dead, man.

NashvilleDevil
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
I stand by my original list with one add on:

Houston - Dean Martin
San Antonio - Charley Pride
Jackson - Johnny and June Carter Cash
London - The Clash
Right Here - Jesus Jones
Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle

Reilly
04-18-2013, 10:41 AM

That's my fault for not clearly setting what I was looking for, so it all went off the rails from the get go due to my lack of clarity. Yeah, when you hear a certain singer, what city or part of the country do you think of? The singer need not be from that area of the country. And it somehow seems too easy if there is a song with a location mentioned in the title and say that's the answer. Sometimes it all dovetails: Sinatra is from Hoboken, sang a "NY" song, and represents NYC. The Dead for SF (or maybe Joan Baez). Bob Seger for Detroit (though many other contenders mentioned above). Some Shag group would be the sound of North Myrtle Beach, perhaps .... or the The Drifters or something. When you hear Johnny Cash, what state do you think of? Same for Hank Williams.

An easier, more straightforward task that does involve discrete song titles or lyrics: can we come up with a good A to Z list of songs involving girls' names: Amy by Pure Prarie League, Melissa by The Allman Brothers, Veronica by Elvis Costello ... may have to reach to find a song that mentions a girl's name in the lyrics but that name may not be the actual song title .... Good Golly Miss Molly .... Maybeline, why can't you be true ...

duke74
04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
That's my fault for not clearly setting what I was looking for, so it all went off the rails from the get go due to my lack of clarity. Yeah, when you hear a certain singer, what city or part of the country do you think of? The singer need not be from that area of the country. And it somehow seems too easy if there is a song with a location mentioned in the title and say that's the answer. Sometimes it all dovetails: Sinatra is from Hoboken, sang a "NY" song, and represents NYC. The Dead for SF (or maybe Joan Baez). Bob Seger for Detroit (though many other contenders mentioned above). Some Shag group would be the sound of North Myrtle Beach, perhaps .... or the The Drifters or something. When you hear Johnny Cash, what state do you think of? Same for Hank Williams.

May have missed the "above," but Eminem may have that Detroit thing now....between 8 Mile and the Chrysler commercials.... ("Imported from Detroit"...I think)

mph
04-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Hopefully this gets us started. I struggled with K, O, and Q and gave up when I got to T.

A - Adalida (George Strait), Amanda (Boston), Amie (Pure Prairie League), Anna Begins (Counting Crows), Annie's Song (John Denver)
B - Barbara Ann (Beach Boys)
C - Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond), Cecelia (Simon and Garfunkel)
D - Dani California (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Jack and Diane (John Mellencamp)
E - Come on Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners), Elivira (Oak Ridge Boys), For Emily Wherever I May Find Her (Simon and Garfunkel)
F - Fancy (Reba McEntire)
G - Gloria (Laura Branigan)
H - Heather (The Beatles)
I - Goodnight Irene (Various)
J - Janie's Got a Gun (Aerosmith), Jolene (Dolly Parton)
K -
L - Lola (The Kinks) [Hey it's a girl's name! :D ]
M - Mandy (Barry Manilow), Ava Maria (Various), Maggie May (Rod Stewart), Proud Mary (CCR), Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty), Melissa (The Allman Brothers)
N - Norma Jean Riley (Diamond Rio)
O -
P - Hey Paula (Paul and Paula), Peggy Sue (Buddy Holly)
Q -
R - Help Me Rhonda (Beach Boys), Rosanna (Toto), Roxanne (The Police)
S - Lay Down Sally (Eric Clapton), Runaround Sue (Dion), My Sharona (The Knack), Oh Sherry (Steve Perry), Sussudio (Phil Collins)
T -
U -
V - Valerie (Steve Winwood), Veronica (Elvis Costello)
W -
X -
Y -
Z -

Reilly
04-18-2013, 03:26 PM
That's impressive.

N: Nancy (with the laughing face) - Frank Sinatra

Reilly
04-18-2013, 03:32 PM
T - "Tammy" see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_(song)

This is cheating, as I figured there had to be a song called "Tammy" and so simply googled ... don't know this one myself.

juise
04-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Hopefully this gets us started. I struggled with K, O, and Q and gave up when I got to T.

A - Adalida (George Strait), Amanda (Boston), Amie (Pure Prairie League), Anna Begins (Counting Crows), Annie's Song (John Denver)

Alison (Elvis Costello)

dball
04-18-2013, 05:20 PM

E - Come on Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners), Elivira (Oak Ridge Boys), For Emily Wherever I May Find Her (Simon and Garfunkel)
K -
M - Mandy (Barry Manilow), Ava Maria (Various), Maggie May (Rod Stewart), Proud Mary (CCR), Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty), Melissa (The Allman Brothers)
O -
Q -
S - Lay Down Sally (Eric Clapton), Runaround Sue (Dion), My Sharona (The Knack), Oh Sherry (Steve Perry), Sussudio (Phil Collins)
T -
U -
W -
X -
Y -
Z -

Kate (Ben Folds)
Olivia (Stella Parton)
Little Queenie (Chuck Berry?)
Ursula (Barclay James Harvest--OK. looked that one up)
Wendy (Beach Boys)
Yolanda (Bobby 'Blue' Bland)
Zoe Jane (Staind)

dball
04-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Joni Mitchell - California

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Ohio

Willie Nelson - City of new Orleans

Willie? Arlo Guthrie had the biggest hit with that one. Would have picked "Woodstock" for either Joni or CSNY

Florida (well, Jacksonville/Gainsville at least) - Molly Hatchet (Gator Country)

Would go with Tom Petty

Alabama - - Alabama (of course)

Not so fast. How about Lynyrd Skynyrd

Chatttanooga -- Glen Miller
LA -- Guy Clark or Jerry Jeff Walker (LA Freeway)
Tulsa -- Gene Pitney (24 Hours from ____)
Sagegrouse

Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy was big for Red Foley, Freddy Cannon and Bing Crosby so they are possibles as well

Jerry Jeff I always associate with New Orleans via Mr. Bojangles

Gene? How about the generic Town Without Pity (or Town Without Pitney as we used to say)

dball
04-18-2013, 05:51 PM
OK, sorry forgot these for college bands

Hootie and the Blowfish (USC, Columbia)
Dave Mathews Band (UVA, Charlottesville)

Not to mention artists named after places (Chicago, America, Denver etc)

Dev11
04-18-2013, 06:34 PM
OK, sorry forgot these for college bands

Hootie and the Blowfish (USC, Columbia)
Dave Mathews Band (UVA, Charlottesville)

Not to mention artists named after places (Chicago, America, Denver etc)

Umphrey's McGee, Notre Dame
OAR, OSU (also representing Montgomery County, MD)

Dev11
04-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Washington, DC - the Duke, Duke Ellington! (<--shoutout to History of Jazz class)

devildeac
04-18-2013, 06:52 PM

K -
O -
Q -
T -
U -
W -
X -
Y -
Z -

K-Kiss Me, Kate (from the musical)

Reilly
04-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm astounded how quickly the A to Z girl name songs was resolved.

Further "derailing" of the thread .... songs about or mentioning trains (but not about prison or momma) ....

I'll start: "Amtrak Crescent" by Scott Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPyqV-P9LY

camion
04-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Further "derailing" of the thread .... songs about or mentioning trains (but not about prison or momma) ....

It may be an "O," but I think of it as an "A."

On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe - Judy Garland

mph
04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum

dball
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Another Miller (Glenn) Chattanooga Choo Choo

Arlo Guthrie City of New Orleans

Allman Bros All Night Train

Gladys Knight Midnight Train To Georgia

Boxcar Willie Boxcar Willie

Los Lobos That Train Don't Stop Here

Judas Priest Bullet Train

Cannonball Blues by lots of country artists

a stretch perhaps Pet Clark Don't Sleep In The Subway

Roger Miller Engine Engine #9

Johnny Cash Hey Porter

Count Basie Take the A Train

Jimmie Rogers Southern Cannonball

Simon & Garfunkel Homeward Bound

Oakridge Boys Last Train To Glory

Sheena Easton Morning Train

James Brown (and others) Night Train

Beatles One After 909

Cat Stevens Peace Train

Reilly
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
...Cat Stevens Peace Train

A Duke classmate had, as his answering machine message, a snippet of "Peace Train", and then a snippet of "Crazy Train", and then a crash noise, and then him tearfully saying between sobs that the peace train and the crazy train had collided, and to leave a message at the beep.

throatybeard
04-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Classical/Opera:

Beverly Sills - New York City
Susan Graham - Santa Fe
Ruth Ann Swenson - San Francisco
Christine Brewer - Saint Louis
Elizabeth Futral - Birmingham
Norman Treigle - New Orleans
Faith Esham - Knoxville

Duke79UNLV77
04-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Paul Simon -- Train in the Distance
Daniel Lanois -- Death of a Train
Louis Armstrong -- Hobo, You Can't Ride that Train

CameronBlue
04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
NJ ... Bruce Springsteen

NYC ... Frank Sinatra

..... carry on ....

Anchorage...Michelle Shocked (provided you can overlook her strange homophobic rants)

TruBlu
04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
The "I can't believe no one has mentioned this one" country song

Orange Blossom Special -- by just about everybody

The best rock song for driving your car on a long trip with the stereo cranked up (about 9 minutes long)

Hellbound Train -- Savoy Brown**

The best harmonica playing ever . . . in a country rock song

Train Train -- Blackfoot**

** If you have never heard these last two songs, I highly recommend you google them and give a listen.

Jim3k
04-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Wabash Cannonball

Jim3k
04-21-2013, 02:50 AM
Wabash Cannonball

Tried to add Mystery Train --Elvis, but edit expired

lotusland
04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
I’m a little late to the party but here goes:
Prince – Minneapolis
Nugent – Motor City
Woody Guthrie – OK
Carl Perkins - Memphis
Buck Owens – Bakersfield
Atlanta Rythym Section – Doraville
Greatful Dead and Jefferson Airplane – Frisco
Al Green – Memphis
Buddy Guy – Chicago
Dr. John – New Orleans
Townes Van Zandt, Willy Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Bob Wills and many more– TX
Neko Case – Tacoma
Whiskey Town – Raleigh
Southern Culture on the Skids – Chapel Hill
Greg Brown – Iowa
John Gorka – NJ
Randy Newman, The Doors and The Eagles – LA
The Ramones – Queens
Loretta Lynn- Butcher Holler
Bill Monroe – KY
The Jackson 5, John Mellencamp – IN
Wayne Newton - Vegas

duke74
04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
I’m a little late to the party but here goes:

The Ramones – Queens

Actually, Forest Hills, Queens. (See my address on upper right)

Indoor66
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine - Miami, FL

lotusland
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Dolly Parton - Pigeon Forge, TN

lotusland
04-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Don Ho – Hawaii

BD80
04-30-2013, 06:37 PM
The Wellingtons: Gilligan's Island

Reilly
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Hopefully this gets us started. ....
L - Lola (The Kinks) [Hey it's a girl's name! :D ]...

"Sweet Lorraine" - Patty Griffin

lotusland
05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
"Sweet Lorraine" - Patty Griffin

Brilliant song by a brilliant singer and songwriter!

May as well add a couple more applicable Patty Griffin tunes:

Mary in homage to both the Virgin Maryand her Grandmother
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxpvKuEruk
And Christina about the tragic life and death of Christina Onasis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v3bRTTSYKw

Patty will be at the Haw River Ballroom in Graham NC on Saturday (also The Orange Peel in Asheville on Thursday) so, if you are in the area and have never seen Robert Plant's blushing new bride, prepare to be blown away!