PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's Achilles

g-money
04-13-2013, 02:27 AM
For one of the all-time greats - who won 5 NBA titles and led Coach K's Redeem Team to gold in 2008 - this is a real shame.

Hope he's able to play again.

BD80
04-13-2013, 05:58 AM
He was fouled by Harrison Barnes on the play

wilko
04-13-2013, 08:01 AM
He was fouled by Harrison Barnes on the play

is he getting any "dirty player" noise the way D.Jones did?

oldnavy
04-13-2013, 09:26 AM
is he getting any "dirty player" noise the way D.Jones did?

To be fair, there really wasn't a foul on that play IMO. Sure, Kobe got the call, but watch the replay... little to no contact, and certainly what contact there was did not cause Kobe to go to the floor.

Trust me, I am NO HB fan, but nothing about that play was "dirty" or even "rough" IMO.

BD80
04-13-2013, 09:40 AM
To be fair, there really wasn't a foul on that play IMO. Sure, Kobe got the call, but watch the replay... little to no contact, and certainly what contact there was did not cause Kobe to go to the floor.

Trust me, I am NO HB fan, but nothing about that play was "dirty" or even "rough" IMO.

The real surprise is that HB was playing "defense" close enough to even be called for a foul! He sure didn't learn that in chappa heeya

oldnavy
04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
The real surprise is that HB was playing "defense" close enough to even be called for a foul! He sure didn't learn that in chappa heeya

LOL. I had that same thought when I saw the video of the play. Of course, Kobe had beat him off the dribble when it happened, so the defense wasn't that good.

Zephyrius
04-13-2013, 11:18 AM
LOL. I had that same thought when I saw the video of the play. Of course, Kobe had beat him off the dribble when it happened, so the defense wasn't that good.

Apparently Kobe asked Barnes if he kicked him as a way to gauge the injury. I'm assuming he asked because of the popping sound. But Barnes replied that he didn't, and Kobe has been responding that it's essentially a freak injury.

billy
04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Apparently Kobe asked Barnes if he kicked him as a way to gauge the injury. I'm assuming he asked because of the popping sound. But Barnes replied that he didn't, and Kobe has been responding that it's essentially a freak injury.

It's amazing how often that comment is made - I can't tell you how many times a patient has said I was pushing off/jumping for a rebound/sprinting down the court when someone kicked me in the back of my ankle. But, when I turned around no one was there. It's not really a freak injury, rather the most common cause of achilles tendon tears in the patients I see.

oldnavy
04-13-2013, 12:09 PM
It's amazing how often that comment is made - I can't tell you how many times a patient has said I was pushing off/jumping for a rebound/sprinting down the court when someone kicked me in the back of my ankle. But, when I turned around no one was there. It's not really a freak injury, rather the most common cause of achilles tendon tears in the patients I see.

Happened to me once about 6 years ago. I was just crossing the lane in a pick up game on base, no contact, not a sudden movement or anything... just running/jogging basically. Felt a pop, hit the ground. Hurt like crazy! It took me about a year to get back to where I wasn't favoring the leg at least subconsciously.

Here is a Turtle
04-13-2013, 01:34 PM
USA Today says 10-12 months and that Kobe's frequent knee issues could make it more difficult to recover from. Still, Terrell Suggs came back after six months. So we'll see. Lakers cannot be thrilled about that $30 million Bryant is owed next year.

superdave
04-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Kobe is a great player who has a legendary work ethic. I would not bet against him coming back. But this is a shame. He was killing himself to drag this team into the playoffs. I have utmost respect for Kobe and hope he can play again.

IBleedBlue
04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Kobe should choose the best sports facility to recover and he should consult Kyrie Irving to find out where is that place.
Next headline in Durham Herald: "Kobe & Peyton Training at Duke"

Sorry...nothing to do this saturday evening!! Heres hoping he recovers fast and gets his sixth!!

ncexnyc
04-13-2013, 06:55 PM
I've seen this injury first hand during a pick-up game while stationed at Ft. Bragg. The captain it happened to caught a pass on the wing and started to drive to the basket. Not a soul around him and he crumpled to the floor as if hit with a .45 slug.

camion
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I snapped my Achilles tendon playing pick-up basketball while I was in grad school at Duke. I went up for a rebound and heard/felt a "thunk" like someone kicked me. When I came down I couldn't stand up. Funny thing was it didn't really heart when it happened. I had surgery at Duke hospital it took me about a year get back to semi-normal sports activities. In two years I was pretty much doing what I did before.

weezie
04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Kobe is a great player who has a legendary work ethic. I would not bet against him coming back. But this is a shame. He was killing himself to drag this team into the playoffs. I have utmost respect for Kobe and hope he can play again.

Absolutely and soundly seconded! Kobe has looked totally exhausted and really kind of old this season. The thought of the pounding his knees have taken makes me shudder. Hope he wants to come back and hope he can. I know his off court past has caused him to be diminished as a man but the player is just so incredible.

Indoor66
04-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Yep, definitely a terrible guy and husband, and likely a bad teammate. Unfortunately the same can be said of Jordan, Wilt, Shaq, Barkley, Magic and all the rest.

Wilt was never married.

arnie
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Wilt was never married.

10,000 times he considered it.

Indoor66
04-14-2013, 08:27 PM
10,000 times he considered it.

I didn't say he wasn't a self proclaimed MAN. :cool:

noworries
04-14-2013, 08:50 PM

Do you think the other two times he went down prior to that had something to do with the rupture? Hard to tell what happened those times, but maybe Achilles strain that contributed?

billy
04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Do you think the other two times he went down prior to that had something to do with the rupture? Hard to tell what happened those times, but maybe Achilles strain that contributed?

Sorry - I'm not aware what happened the other two times he went down. That said, most of the time there is no recent injury (or "prodromal" symptoms) when an achilles tears. Good news for people that have achilles tendonitis - tendonitis infrequently goes on to tear completely. It is pretty unusual for someone in top condition to tear their achilles - much more often in the weekend warrior who hasn't built up and adequately strengthened the tendon prior to playing.