PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Wiggy Hangs It Up

burnspbesq
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Duke goaltender Dan Wigrizer has announced that his playing days are over. He has a history of concussions, and after suffering another one in practice leading up to the Maryland game, he took the advice of the neurologists who were expressing caution about the risks of continuing to play.

Thanks for everything you've given us, Wiggy. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery and a long and happy life. We'll always have Memorial Day, 2010, thanks to you.

MCFinARL
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
This is a shame, but based on the report in the Chronicle, he is handling it pretty well and contributing to the team by mentoring Kyle Turri and the other goalies. Best wishes to him.

DukieInKansas
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Thank you, Dan, for all you have given to Duke lacrosse. I'm sure this was a difficult decision but the rest of your life is much more important than the rest of a season. May your future be filled with lots of great opportunities.

BD80
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
My opinion is that a person has to be more than a little crazy to tend goal at that level. Padding is minimal, the balls are weighty and hard, and guys can rocket shots from very close range.

I'm glad to hear he's not so crazy to continue after concussion warnings

loran16
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Sucks but good for him for hanging it up. Concussions suck and way too many athletes ignore their repercussions which can be felt years down the line. I shudder to think of the good odds that a Duke football player will wind up with brain damage that shortens their life considerably simply as the natural product of playing the sport.

chrishoke
04-13-2013, 04:09 AM
Thanks Wiggy!

nyesq83
04-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks for being an outstanding member of the Duke family Dan W!

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!