PDA

View Full Version : A look at UNC next Year

whereinthehellami
04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
It sounds like UNC will be returning Hairston, Bullock, and McAdoo (jinx welcome) next season. If it does play out that way, UNC will be a formidable team next year. I think the big question is does Roy try to work in another big and go back to the style that he and UNC prefer or does he continue to play small ball and his best players? If UNC plays more small ball and their best 5, they will be a good offensive team and decent defensive team (disruptive). Here is the starting 5 I would envision Roy starts with:

Starting 5
Paige 6-0 (wingspan 6-5) SO
McDonald 6-5 (wingspan 6-7?) SR
Bullock 6-7 (wingspan 6-9) SR
Hairston 6-5 (wingspan 6-10) JR
McAdoo 6-9 (wingspan 7-1) JR

The above starting 5 is experienced and has some nice length. They were a good shooting and offensive rebounding team last year who struggled with toughness, consistent defense, and finishing games. If the 3 do indeed come back I think that shows some maturity that could translate well on the court in the form of better effort and chemistry.

I think Brice Johnson (6-9 SO, wingspan 6-11) is one to keep an eye on as a big who could see more time next year and have a bigger impact. Just like Amile for Duke he needs weight and strength.

As far as freshman, I think UNC fans are hopeful that either Meeks (6-8 290, RSCI# 30) or Hicks (6-8 210, RSCI# 12) will provide immediate frontcourt help. I think Meeks has some weight issues he needs to address before he will be able to make a significant impact. Hicks has some height and loads of athletiscm but does he have the skills and game that will quickly translate to the college game (size and speed). Hicks played against really weak HS competition so there will be an adjustment. If Hicks can get some decent PT, who does he displace? McDonald, which would move Bullock and Hairston up a position? If UNC can get Wiggins to commit, which seems like a longshot, that will change everything.

CDu
04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
The good news is that we should still be as good or better than UNC at at least 4 of the 5 spots on the floor. That's especially true if Hairston plays the PF spot, because I think Hairston is the one guy who would give UNC an edge if he played SG. But I like our PG, SF, and PF spots regardless, and I think our SG could be at least a wash.

UNC should certainly be better next year than this year. They'll be a top-25 team for sure. If they somehow get Wiggins (which would pretty much force them to play small as their 4 best players will be SG/SF) they'll be really good. But I'm hopeful that won't happen.

UrinalCake
04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
The optimist in me says that that is essentially the same lineup as last year, when they had obvious weaknesses and teams eventually figured out how to beat them. They still don't have an elite point guard (though Paige has improved) nor do they have an elite center (jury is still out on their freshmen and sophomore bigs). Not to mention they lost their best perimeter defender (Strickland) on a team not known for very good perimeter defense.

Unfortunately we won't have Mason to destroy them inside anymore. I was looking forward to some more alley-oops over two defenders with the and one. We can't make them pay for the small lineup in the same way without a scorer at the 5. But we will have more size on the perimeter/wing than the last two years so I think we'll match up with them just fine.

Also to my knowledge it's not official that their big three are all coming back, just a lot of unsubstantiated rumors and grumblings. Don't want to start a whole debate on that topic as there are other threads already going for that...

TruBlu
04-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I prefer not to look at UNC and that ugly blue at all, but postponing looking at them til next year is better than looking at them now.

moonpie23
04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
ugh...i hate to sound like negative nellie here, but..........don't they ALL still play for unc?

mccollums
04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I would be surprised if all 3 stayed. Hairston's stock is really high right now. McAdoo's is not but if he delays another year, that's 1 more year until his 2nd contract in the NBA. You would think he's confident enough to leave and get drafted in the mid to late 1st round with the intention of rounding out his game over the next 3 years.

If they do stay - it will require 4 and 5 star players sitting on the bench.

recruiting class as of now.
Nate Britt ESPN#91
Isiah Hicks ESPN#17
Kennedy Meeks ESPN#41

I think everyone would agree that Paige, Bullock, Hairston, McAdoo will be on the court.

That's one starting spot for;
Hicks - McDonalds All American
Joel James- soph
Brice Johnson - soph
D. Hubert
Kennedy Meeks
Tokoto - Soph
McDonald
Nate Britt

That's 8 players competing for the final starting spot and backup minutes.

Throw Wiggins into the mix and there's more of a log jam. Ole Roy will put his best players on the court in the bigger games - Paige, Bullock, Wiggins, Hairston, McAdoo. Only foul trouble and quick breathers will get those guys off the court.

UNC's last 2 games of the ACC tournament shows how substition stingy he gets in big games.
McAdoo - 32
Strictland- 33
Bullock- 38
Hairston- 35 - Hairston went OFF in this game. 28points and 6-13 on 3s.
Paige- 36
Mcdonald-14
Next highest was Joel James at 5.

Pretty much the same story in their previous game against Maryland. Paige was in foul trouble , but after the top 6 players, the next highest was 6 minutes.
Bullock-38
McAdoo-29
Strickland-34
Hairston-36
Paige- 25
McDonald-21

Duvall
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
ugh...i hate to sound like negative nellie here, but..........don't they ALL still play for unc?

Right, that's the assumption.

Kedsy
04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Ole Roy will put his best players on the court in the bigger games - Paige, Bullock, Wiggins, Hairston, McAdoo. Only foul trouble and quick breathers will get those guys off the court.

Well, that's the way Roy played it in 2012-13. In previous seasons he went at least 7 or 8 deep even in the big games, and often 9 or 10 deep during the regular season. I believe he has a much longer history of playing lots of guys than the one season (last season) where he didn't.

UrinalCake
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah last year was an anomaly for them, though the shortened bench is something their fans had been calling for for years. One drawback is that it hasn't allowed their bigs to develop since they didn't see much floor time.

Also I think it's likely that Kennedy Meeks will actually be occupying two seats on the bench.

mccollums
04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Well, that's the way Roy played it in 2012-13. In previous seasons he went at least 7 or 8 deep even in the big games, and often 9 or 10 deep during the regular season. I believe he has a much longer history of playing lots of guys than the one season (last season) where he didn't.

Good point. Makes sense with their style of play.

I guess it will depend on how well the unproven backups play when they get the chance. Tough to get an established veteran off the court though. You would think that Hicks will get time because of his athleticism. Hicks/McAdoo as a front court is more then adequate in college basketball today.

Ichabod Drain
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah last year was an anomaly for them, though the shortened bench is something their fans had been calling for for years. One drawback is that it hasn't allowed their bigs to develop since they didn't see much floor time.

Also I think it's likely that Kennedy Meeks will actually be occupying two seats on the bench.

They didnt lose any big men either (if McAdoo stays) and added two more. If they went small again this year that would leave a whole lot of scholarship big men riding the pine.

bbosbbos
04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
No leader, no go-to guy, no low post player in UNC even all 3 are back. With Wiggins, problems are still there. They are good but not great.

ncexnyc
04-12-2013, 12:45 PM

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Are you telling us players have to actually get into games in order to develop?:D

Maybe all these players are a good thing for us and a bad thing for UNC. Ol'Roy won't know what to do, he'll be more confused than he normally is.

CDu
04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Good point. Makes sense with their style of play.

I guess it will depend on how well the unproven backups play when they get the chance. Tough to get an established veteran off the court though. You would think that Hicks will get time because of his athleticism. Hicks/McAdoo as a front court is more then adequate in college basketball today.

If McAdoo returns, I'd be quite shocked if Williams stayed small. He'd have McAdoo, Johnson, Hicks, James, Meeks, and Hubert as scholarship big men. I'd expect Johnson and Hicks to be ready to contribute, and I'd expect Roy to give them along with the trio of center options a chance to play.

I would anticipate Roy rotating his 5 perimeter players in and out, and then going with 4 of his bigs in a three-guard, two-big lineup. It's the way Roy likes to roll, and I'd be surprised if he didn't go back to that with (a) a deeper set of quality bigs and (b) a more experienced set of bigs.

gumbomoop
04-12-2013, 01:10 PM
If all 3 guys return, they'll be a strong team (talent, experience, depth), preseason consensus national top 5. With Wiggins, #2.

Not that much discussion of Paige on EK, but I thought he improved quite a bit in last 1/3 of season. For example, he shot 44% from 3 in Heels' last 12 games (9-3 record). Seemed a willing and confident shooter by late season, solid passer, and overall steadier player. I don't know that he will be their leader, but he can play. Obviously needs to get a good bit stronger, but he made some clutch shots. Not sure about his D; maybe one of our Carolina friends can comment on that.

As Britt sat out his senior year (or most of it?) with injury, hard to know about him, but I assume he'll be more than adequate as Paige's backup. I still wonder how Roy will use 3 PGs in 2014-'15, when Berry arrives. (Actually 5, with Davis and White, but who cares - other than Davis and White - by then.)

Duvall
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
If all 3 guys return, they'll be a strong team (talent, experience, depth), preseason consensus national top 5.

That's a big jump to attribute to development of pieces already in place. UNC wasn't capable of beating a ranked team last season - they have a long way to go to get anywhere near the top five.

CDu
04-12-2013, 01:27 PM
That's a big jump to attribute to development of pieces already in place. UNC wasn't capable of beating a ranked team last season - they have a long way to go to get anywhere near the top five.

Yeah, it's really hard to judge what they'll be next year, because it's somewhat hard to judge what they really were last year. They won the games they were supposed to win, but didn't win any of the games that they weren't expected to win. So it's tough to say whether they were a mediocre team that was fortunate to win all of their lower-tier games or a really good team that was unlucky to lose all of their tough games.

But unless they get Wiggins, you bring up an excellent point that this team isn't adding any impact players to last year's team. They'll presumably be better than last year, as one can expect Paige, Johnson, and James to improve and they got rid of an offensive liability in Strickland (who also wasn't as good a defender last year coming off the ACL injury). But I don't know if that improvement is enough to bump them into a top-5 (or even top-10) caliber of team.

They'll still have questionable PG play. They'll still have questionable post play. They'll still have defensive limitations.

gumbomoop
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Fair point. Still, my statement was that if all 3 return, they'll be "preseason consensus national top 5." That is, the various prognosticators, including the 2 major national preseason polls, constitute a rough consensus, and the Heels will be a consensus top 5. Your "anywhere near the top 5" sounds as if you'd put them maybe 15-20? Lower?

If all 3 return, I think they'd have talent, experience, depth, and would myself join the consensus - top 5. Below Duke, unless Wiggins joins that bunch.

whereinthehellami
04-12-2013, 01:45 PM
In looking at Bullock's stats he has progressed nicely over the last 3 seasons. His stats have gone up across the board each season. It's not unreasonable to see him as 1st team All-ACC averaging ~ 15 PTs, 8 REBs, 3 ASSTs, and 2 STLs a game while shooting over 50% from 2, over 40% from 3, and over 80% from the FT. Those would be really good numbers.

Reggie showed the desire to get rebounds, especially on offense and to use his length to get steals on defense. Unlike PJ, Reggie seemed to put his shots up in the flow of the offense. I'll be curious to see if Reggie can maintain a more consistent effort on defense and maintain his intensity on offense. Can he step up next year and become the player that can consistently create match-up problems for the other team?

Against Duke, Bullock would mostly likely be pitted against Hood with some Sulaimon and Dawkins mixed in. These should be some good, athletic matchups. Hood is an unproven commodity at this point. Most of the Duke fans seem to expect Hood to step-up up and make this matchup a wash but I think that is asking a lot for his first year in the Duke system and the ACC. At this point Bullock is a proven performer with good numbers. Sulaimon is smaller but has a similar wingspan as Bullock and if his trajectory continues this matchup would be an entertaining one.

If I had to call this matchup right now, after drinking a 3rd pint of Smithwicks, I would probably call this one as a slight edge for UNC.

DevilBen02
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
If all 3 guys return, they'll be a strong team (talent, experience, depth), preseason consensus national top 5.

In the same way that State had the talent and experience returning from their 2011-12 sweet 16 team to win the ACC and challenge for a national title in 2012-13?

Duvall
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
P.J. Hairston to return. (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1282996.html)

MChambers
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Hurray to him for staying in school. Seriously.

His mother's statement looks suspiciously like it was written by Harrison Barnes, however.

whereinthehellami
04-12-2013, 04:20 PM
PJ's stats went up across the board except for FT% which went down from 84% to 78%. If PJ starts the year off in the starting lineup like he did to finish the year, he could easily post 15 PTs, 5 REBs, 1 AST, and 1 STL a game, while shooting over 45% from 2, over 40% from 3, and over 80% from the FT. Those numbers would probably be good for 1st or 2nd team All-ACC.

PJ's and UNC's seasons both changed when Roy realized that both the UNC and Duke fanbases knew more than him and he started PJ over Davis/Johnson. UNC played small ball much to the chagrin of the UNC wine and cheese crowd and played it pretty well as they had the horses for it. With PJ's wingspan (6-9.5) and strong base (225) he is able to at least compete with some of the other smaller frontcourts out there. PJ did struggle against teams that were able to throw 2 good bigs at UNC. When PJ is on, he has NBA shooting ability but when he is off, he can shoot UNC out of some games as he does not always shoot within the flow of the game. If PJ can play with a little more intensity on the defensive end and make better decisions on the offensive side, he is capable of becoming a real matchup problem for the other team.

If Roy does go small, look for Duke to matchup Parker with PJ. Parker is unproven but has tremendous potential. I have only seen Parker play a few times but I really like Parker's length (wingspan 6-11), base (220 lbs), skills, and makeup. He matches up really well with PJ.

If I had to call this matchup right now, after drinking a 4th pint of Duck-Rabbit milk stout, I would probably call this one as a slight edge for Duke.

Olympic Fan
04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
It's funny -- there is a similar thread on IC, comparing and contrasting Duke and UNC next year. Lot of skepticism there about how good can Duke be after losing its top three scorers. Quite a few of their fans think they should be the favorites based on returning four starters, including their top four scorers.

As Devilben points out, that was the same thing that led to all the projections that NC State was the 2013 preseason ACC favorites and consensus national top 5 in preseason. The only big differences is that State -- a mediocre team all season -- ended the year with a hot streak, reaching the Sweet 16. UNC played better late in the season (when Roy finally went small), but didn't really accomplish as much as State did in its late surge.

The key point that links both teams -- State in 2012 and UNC in 2013 -- is that neither team was good enough to beat good teams. UNC last season with 0-5 against Miami and Duke (0-4 after going to their small lineup). They were 2-2 against State and Virginia, winning at home and losing on the road.

Outside the league, it wasn't much better. They were beaten -- and beaten badly -- by every top team they faced. What was he best team they beat all year -- UNLV in Chapel Hill? NC State in Chapel Hill? Villanova in Kansas City?

Their few rational fans admit that, but point out that Duke didn't beat any good teams without Plumlee and Curry. Indeed, the best team they beat without Kelly was either UNC or NC State in Durham.

I agree that there is uncertainty about Duke. Yeah, we have a deep, proven backcourt coming back, but the chances of this being a top 5 team depend on Parker, Hood and/or the development of Jefferson/MP3/Murphy -- all unproven qualities.

In the end, it doesn't matter much -- it hardly mattered that all the experts picked State first last year or picked Miami 5th. If Duke's newcomers are as good as we think, I like our chances against the Heels. If they are not as good, then UNC's more proven base of good, but not great players should give them the edge.

Personally, I think Duke will be somewhat better than a UNC team that doesn't lose anybody to the NBA. If UNC can keep its stars and add Wiggins, I give them the edge. If McAdoo and/or Bullock leave, I could see Syracuse or Virginia passing UNC.

brevity
04-12-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted in part: "His mother, Wendy Mailey, confirmed the news to InsideCarolina.com on Friday afternoon."

Um, why isn't DBR getting these kinds of exclusives from Duke parents? I'm sure some of you will argue that Duke has a better organizational structure, so that Duke parents have the wisdom to go through official channels. But it would still be nice to have that option...

wilko
04-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Too bad....
Heels fans are much more fun when their team is terrible.

oldnavy
04-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Too bad....
Heels fans are much more fun when their team is terrible.

Unless you are married to one....

Des Esseintes
04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Fair point. Still, my statement was that if all 3 return, they'll be "preseason consensus national top 5." That is, the various prognosticators, including the 2 major national preseason polls, constitute a rough consensus, and the Heels will be a consensus top 5. Your "anywhere near the top 5" sounds as if you'd put them maybe 15-20? Lower?

If all 3 return, I think they'd have talent, experience, depth, and would myself join the consensus - top 5. Below Duke, unless Wiggins joins that bunch.

I think you're assuming more people have your take than is actually the case. Seth Davis is conventional wisdom defined, and he has them (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130411/college-basketball-early-preseason-rankings/?sct=uk_t12_a2) at #15. Jason King at ESPN says (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9147684/very-early-top-25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball) #8. Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish also say (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/22036310) #8. DeCourcy says (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-04-09/ncaa-basketball-top-25-rankings-2013-14-kentucky-michigan-st-arizona-louisville/slide/7) #7. Among the major publications, only USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/forecasting-the-ncaa-basketball-top-25-in-2013-14/2061989/) has them at #3.

wilko
04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Unless you are married to one....

I AM.
But to be fair - she went to U of M as an undergrad. As a rule sports are beneath her notice.... just not on her list of things to be interested in.

BD80
04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
I AM.
But to be fair - she went to U of M as an undergrad. As a rule sports are beneath her notice.... just not on her list of things to be interested in.

Kind of like academics are beneath the unc ad's or athletes' notice, just not on their list of things to be interested in (or attend).

gumbomoop
04-12-2013, 07:34 PM
I think you're assuming more people have your take than is actually the case. Seth Davis is conventional wisdom defined, and he has them (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130411/college-basketball-early-preseason-rankings/?sct=uk_t12_a2) at #15. Jason King at ESPN says (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9147684/very-early-top-25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball) #8. Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish also say (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/22036310) #8. DeCourcy says (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-04-09/ncaa-basketball-top-25-rankings-2013-14-kentucky-michigan-st-arizona-louisville/slide/7) #7. Among the major publications, only USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/forecasting-the-ncaa-basketball-top-25-in-2013-14/2061989/) has them at #3.

Looks like you're right, I'm wrong. So, Seth Davis [who, in this case, is not conventional wisdom] and USA Today are outliers at either end, and the way, way early preseason consensus is 7-8, not top 5. Have to wait until October to see whether the actual preseason consensus moves the Heels out of top 10, toward top 5, or stays about 7-8.

Under any circumstances, I will hope DevilBen02's retort, even at my expense, proves prophetic.

In the same way that State had the talent and experience returning from their 2011-12 sweet 16 team to win the ACC and challenge for a national title in 2012-13?

jipops
04-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Remember there was the 2004 team that finished 8-8 in the ACC. That team returned it's core in 2005 and went on to win the title. UNC 2013-14 has experience with a returning core (assuming), balance, depth, and talent. I can see why their fan base would be very excited.

vick
04-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Remember there was the 2004 team that finished 8-8 in the ACC. That team returned it's core in 2005 and went on to win the title. UNC 2013-14 has experience with a returning core (assuming), balance, depth, and talent. I can see why their fan base would be very excited.

In fairness, that 2004 team was substantially better than 2013--despite the 8-8 record they were 10th in Pomeroy, beat eventual champ UConn, etc.. The ACC was absolutely loaded that year. They'll be solid, but I doubt anything like 2005.

Kedsy
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM

I'm not sure I get the relevance here. In 2010, UConn missed the NCAA tournament. In 2011 they returned their core and won the national championship. Should UConn fans get excited every time they miss the NCAAT?

jipops
04-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure I get the relevance here. In 2010, UConn missed the NCAA tournament. In 2011 they returned their core and won the national championship. Should UConn fans get excited every time they miss the NCAAT?

Nope. Like 2005 (and 08,09) they return their core, a very talented one. It may not be as talented as the 2005 team but probably shouldn't be discounted based on this past season. Having a returning talented core does seem to be a big plus, kind of like how it was for us in 13. I believe Featherston made that point in a write-up back in October.

Duvall
04-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Nope. Like 2005 they return their core, a very talented one. It may not be as talented as the 2005 team but probably shouldn't be discounted based on this past season. Having a returning core does seem to be a big plus.

Very talented seems like a stretch given the number of players in that core that tend to struggle with basketball. And it shouldn't be overlooked that UNC added the #2 pick in the 2005 NBA Draft that year.

Besides, lots of average and below average teams return their core players each year without turning into title contenders. Isn't it more likely that UNC 2005 was an exception rather than the rule?

jipops
04-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Very talented seems like a stretch given the number of players in that core that tend to struggle with basketball. And it shouldn't be overlooked that UNC added the #2 pick in the 2005 NBA Draft that year.

Besides, lots of average and below average teams return their core players each year without turning into title contenders. Isn't it more likely that UNC 2005 was an exception rather than the rule?

Very true. A #2 pick that has been a bit of a bust btw.

But a lot of the returning core teams you speak of aren't bringing back several highly recruited talents for their 3rd year.

davekay1971
04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
UNC has, by my count, 4 huge question marks that need to be answered:

1) Do Bullock and McAdoodoo return? I've been overwhelmingly underwhelmed by McAdoo, but the physical skills are obvious. He's the kind of guy that could thrive as long as the pieces are in place around him. McAdoo, surrounded by legit scorers to keep the defensive focus off of him, and with a PG that can keep the pace up and keep UNC in transition situations (Paige) could be much more productive. Bullock, well, he's good.

2) Does Wiggins come? If so, UNC has an instant-impact freshman. If not, UNC's recruits are good, but none look to have a big impact right away

3) Does Paige make "The Leap"? Paige improved a lot last season. If he makes the kind of fresh-to-soph leap that many players do, he could be a very, very good point guard. Sadly, his shot even improved toward the end of the season. Ugh.

4) Does UNC start getting some production from their bigs? UNC's 5 spot last season was a disaster. They've got some young talent there. If it develops well, that will really help them, and help Roy to get back to a system he's comfortable with.

Given all those questions, UNC could range from contending for the ACC title and NCAA title, to being bottom-of-the-top-half of the ACC and, as they were this season, Mostly Harmless.

Gthoma2a
04-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Kennedy Meeks cannot be aware how bad he looks out there looking like that. I don't want him to change it, but he looks obese, slow, and like he doesn't really play basketball, but they gave him a uniform for kicks. He looked winded in about a minute's time. I hope he stays that way.

ncexnyc
04-13-2013, 10:43 PM
You know you're fat when your own fan base starts busting on you for not being able to bend over for a loose ball.:D
The folks over at IC were having a field day with the way his uniform appeared several sizes too small.

Gthoma2a
04-13-2013, 11:23 PM
You know you're fat when your own fan base starts busting on you for not being able to bend over for a loose ball.:D
The folks over at IC were having a field day with the way his uniform appeared several sizes too small.

Just checked it out. I loved the, "Is he wearing a zero on his jersey or is that a doughnut on his chest?"

I loved how they missed that both of our guys outscored Wiggins. They also think that Kennedy Meeks is going to be the best passing big man in the nation. They were drooling over the one pass he made (because he really didn't make any shots that I saw). They were also freaking out over Meeks and Wiggins "rebounding together." Imagine that, on the same team... THAT'S A SIGN! I mean, "on the bench, they were sitting together." They also thought that the Kentucky guys were being mean to Wiggins. It wasn't that he wasn't being aggressive, like Randle was (he is a beast), but that they were intentionally looking to keep the ball away from him. We may as well just throw a UNC jersey on him... it is written in the stars that he will be there next year.

Worst for the fans is that they completely lack the ability to listen. What they took from Jabari's interview was that he was going to play the 2 for us next year. I need to stop going there, even for cheap laughs. It is making my head hurt.

Gthoma2a
04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, he is an eater in general.

BD80
04-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Well, he is an eater in general.

Separated at birth?

juise
04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Separated at birth?

The kid's 18. Seems like a bit much to be making fat jokes as adults on (what we like to think is) a fairly civilized message board. I'm all for poking fun at behavior and statements, but this feels like it's well beyond pointing out that the kid needs to work on conditioning.

(And yes, I was at Duke during the Nigel Dixon days. It seemed funny at the time. Now It feels a bit cruel.)

Gthoma2a
04-14-2013, 07:20 PM
The kid's 18. Seems like a bit much to be making fat jokes as adults on (what we like to think is) a fairly civilized message board. I'm all for poking fun at behavior and statements, but this feels like it's well beyond pointing out that the kid needs to work on conditioning.

(And yes, I was at Duke during the Nigel Dixon days. It seemed funny at the time. Now It feels a bit cruel.)

I understand, and I will refrain from it, but as an athlete, he should expect his condition could lead to him receiving ridicule. In fairness, we sort of can't help but notice when the amazing athlete someone is drooling over seems like he spends little time on being an athlete.

UrinalCake
04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
They also think that Kennedy Meeks is going to be the best passing big man in the nation.

Maybe he should start learning how to pass on dessert.

(Sorry. I'm not as big a man as gthoma2a. Or as Kennedy Meeks, obviously.)

Troublemaker
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
When Meeks gets in shape, he's going to be a very good college center. I like his hands and skills. But the "getting in shape" part might take 2 years. We'll see. Definitely not a recruit I'm underestimating long-term.

CDu
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
There are rumors that Bullock is leaning toward entering the draft. If he and McAdoo go, then I don't see much reason to assume UNC is a better place for Wiggins than FSU. Both places would offer as much playing time as Wiggins wants. But it's very possible that the remaining players at UNC are no better than the returning players for FSU. In fact, if Bullock and McAdoo go pro, I think FSU has the better team (thanks to having Okaro White return).

The discussion to this point has been as follows:
- UK offers Wiggins the best chance to win a title
- FSU has playing time and family ties (both parents went there) but on a not-so-good team
- UNC could potentially offer a really good team with playing time (if only Bullock leaves)\

But if Bullock and McAdoo both leave, it would seem like UNC has just as many question marks as FSU moving forward: questionable PG play, questionable C play, only really solid at one spot on the floor (SF in UNC's case, PF in FSU's case).

BD80
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
... The discussion to this point has been as follows:
- UK offers Wiggins the best chance to win a title
- FSU has playing time and family ties (both parents went there) but on a not-so-good team
- UNC could potentially offer a really good team with playing time (if only Bullock leaves) ...

FSU is in Florida ...

CDu
04-15-2013, 04:01 PM
FSU is in Florida ...

Well, FSU is in Tallahassee, so I'm not sure that's a huge selling point compared with Chapel Hill. Not all of Florida is overly desirable. The weather in Tallahassee isn't that much better than the weather in Chapel Hill. And Chapel Hill as a town is a more interesting place to be than Tallahassee.

I'm a Northwest Floridian who grew up an FSU fan. But Tallahassee is kind of a dump.

dukelifer
04-15-2013, 06:00 PM
When Meeks gets in shape, he's going to be a very good college center. I like his hands and skills. But the "getting in shape" part might take 2 years. We'll see. Definitely not a recruit I'm underestimating long-term.

He plays below the rim and will likely be around for a long while- not an NBA player - but can be a very good college player

TruBlu
04-15-2013, 07:31 PM
He plays below the rim and will likely be around for a long while- not an NBA player - but can be a very good college player

The evil part of me wanted to play a round with the above bolded word, but the good part of me decided not to. I'm so conflicted.

wtm001
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Source: Bullock entering draft

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--unc-s-reggie-bullock-declaring-for-nba-draft-021029928.html

ncexnyc
04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Seems like I've heard that before. I thought Josh Smith had a nice set of hands and looked like he knew his way around the basket as did Tony Parker.

JasonEvans
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Source: Bullock entering draft

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--unc-s-reggie-bullock-declaring-for-nba-draft-021029928.html

North Carolina coaches tried to convince Bullock to remain for his senior year and improve his draft status

Oh, I would LOVE to hear their logic! As I have said elsewhere, the consensus is that this year's draft is fairly weak but next year's will be exceptionally strong, especially when it comes to wing players. If you can come out this year and expect to be a first rounder, you should because it is going to be far harder to be a high draft pick in next year's draft.

-Jason "I love that UNC did not try to give Bullock facts and let him make his own choice (which is what K always does)... they tried to convince him to stay. Hey, Roy, selfish much?!?!" Evans

OldPhiKap
04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Oh, I would LOVE to hear their logic! As I have said elsewhere, the consensus is that this year's draft is fairly weak but next year's will be exceptionally strong, especially when it comes to wing players. If you can come out this year and expect to be a first rounder, you should because it is going to be far harder to be a high draft pick in next year's draft.

-Jason "I love that UNC did not try to give Bullock facts and let him make his own choice (which is what K always does)... they tried to convince him to stay. Hey, Roy, selfish much?!?!" Evans

can't be true, only Coach Kay misleads his players into staying longer than they should.

ncexnyc
04-15-2013, 11:34 PM
can't be true, only Coach Kay misleads his players into staying longer than they should.
Ah yes, the evil Count K. Looks like you've spent a little time over at IC:D

Always a fun read and I love how their take on any issue is a complete 180 from here.

brevity
04-16-2013, 02:09 AM

I want to find some common ground here, I really do. Weight is a sensitive issue for a lot of people. The Crazies were unfairly vilified last season, and I certainly don't want that happening again.

That said, roughly 90 percent of what I post here are Sean May jokes. Because those will always be funny. They also emerged as a response to his weirdly unanimous praise as a collegian. It's like a group of analysts were asked about his game, and they were all silent for a while, unable to verbalize their opinion. Finally, one guy said "He has great hands" and everyone jumped on that statement like it was scripture. What's so great about his hands? Nothing. I don't see jewelry companies throwing him endorsements. Quit looking at his hands and look for the secret stashes of junk food.

Anyway, I don't want to be too critical of the obvious when it comes to Kennedy Meeks, but I feel it should at least be pointed out if others are going to start talking in "soft hands" code again. Like I said, I'm willing to work on the terms of arms reduction, but a cease-fire is out of the question.

CarmenWallaceWade
04-16-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bullock-to-skip-senior-year-enter-nba/12345328/

Dadgum it. Roy will really be putting the full court press on Wiggins now.

moonpie23
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Cee-Ya... :)

MarkD83
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bullock-to-skip-senior-year-enter-nba/12345328/

Dadgum it. Roy will really be putting the full court press on Wiggins now.

But even if Roy visits him 38 times and sets up a Skype call for his announcement, Calipari will call him after he announces for UNC and will tell him he is letting down the entire commonwealth and get him to change his mind.

Perhaps Wiggins should just commit to FSU and avoid the entire circus.

moonpie23
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
hopefully he comes into UNC with the "saviour" of the program weight on his shoulders like HWNSNBM did, and then proceed to "drop to the deck and flop like a fish" as SB would say.....

OldPhiKap
04-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Wiggins to FSU, McAdoo to the draft.

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

wilko
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Wiggins to FSU, McAdoo to the draft.

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

I second this .... Or as a Plan B -Kansas would be a good place for Wiggins to land..

Duvall
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Bullock makes it official. (http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=207239567)

"Reggie is such an outstanding young man and a talented basketball player," says UNC head coach Roy Williams. "He was our most consistent player this season, was productive on both ends of the floor and gave us great leadership. Our hope is that his decision will work out in a very positive manner for Reggie."

Meow, Roy.

oldnavy
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Well, even if UNC gets Wiggins, I am not sure it is an even trade. Bullock was a pretty darn good player and would be a veteran leader next year. Wiggins although an obvious talent is unproven at the college level and may not be as big a fish as some think. Bullock was a known and proven talent.

If UNC misses on Wiggins, they will still be pretty good with Hairston, JMM and Paige. Now if JMM goes and they miss on Wiggins, eh... they won't stink, but may be similar to this years team in success with weaker teams and struggles with good teams.

Duvall
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
If UNC misses on Wiggins, they will still be pretty good with Hairston, JMM and Paige. Now if JMM goes and they miss on Wiggins, eh... they won't stink, but may be similar to this years team in success with weaker teams and struggles with good teams.

Putting aside the question of whether UNC is better with McAdoo or without him, how does UNC lose its best all-around and most reliable player and still get to pretty good from where they were last season without adding an impact freshman? If two of your three best players are McAdoo and Paige...

oldnavy
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Putting aside the question of whether UNC is better with McAdoo or without him, how does UNC lose its best all-around and most reliable player and still get to pretty good from where they were last season without adding an impact freshman? If two of your three best players are McAdoo and Paige...

Well they may not get to pretty good. If they do it would be due to development of their sophomore Big's and JMM and Paige. I think that both Johnson and James have a shot at contributing next year. James will do well with a summer of intense play and practice. He has the body but needs the skills, Johnson has the skills but lacks the body.

I think both get better because you just know that Roy wants to go back to the two big rotation!!!

ncexnyc
04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, even if UNC gets Wiggins, I am not sure it is an even trade. Bullock was a pretty darn good player and would be a veteran leader next year. Wiggins although an obvious talent is unproven at the college level and may not be as big a fish as some think. Bullock was a known and proven talent.

Make absolutely no mistake about it! Wiggins is that good. He was impressive in last year's Nike game and he's been just as good in the two All-Star games this year. I assure you he's an upgrade over Reggie and that dumb haircut:D I hate to say it, but PJ will be a beast next year. He's a bigger and better version of what everyone wishes Andre would look like for us. I also don't get why everyone is in such a hurry to usher JMM out the door. I thought we all loved his lack of talent and the fact that he can't hit the broad side of a barn, but keeps chucking up shot after shot. Paige's game improved at the end of the season. He'll make the freshman to sophomore jump everyone talks about. He isn't blazing fast like Felton or Lawson and he doesn't have the court vision of KM, but he'll be solid, if not better than that. They have lots of big bodies and if one doesn't pan out to be the man, then you can look for either the small line-up again or Ol' Roy going back to wave after wave of bigs. They'll have lots of fouls to give away at the 5 spot.

roywhite
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
"Our hope is that his decision will work out in a very positive manner for Reggie."

yeah, thanks a lot, Coach.

Couldn't quite manage to be fully gracious, eh?

BD80
04-16-2013, 01:45 PM
"Our hope is that his decision will work out in a very positive manner for Reggie."

Thanks for the Coke, Coach. But did you have to shake it first?

oldnavy
04-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Make absolutely no mistake about it! Wiggins is that good. He was impressive in last year's Nike game and he's been just as good in the two All-Star games this year. I assure you he's an upgrade over Reggie and that dumb haircut:D I hate to say it, but PJ will be a beast next year. He's a bigger and better version of what everyone wishes Andre would look like for us. I also don't get why everyone is in such a hurry to usher JMM out the door. I thought we all loved his lack of talent and the fact that he can't hit the broad side of a barn, but keeps chucking up shot after shot. Paige's game improved at the end of the season. He'll make the freshman to sophomore jump everyone talks about. He isn't blazing fast like Felton or Lawson and he doesn't have the court vision of KM, but he'll be solid, if not better than that. They have lots of big bodies and if one doesn't pan out to be the man, then you can look for either the small line-up again or Ol' Roy going back to wave after wave of bigs. They'll have lots of fouls to give away at the 5 spot.

I will have to take yours and others word for it regarding Wiggins. I have not seen him play, but I do know that the rule for highly touted freshmen is that they tend to underachieve compared to the hype.

Wiggins may make a huge splash next year and that would not be unprecedented. But at the same time everyone including the media projected HB's as ALL American material and we saw how that worked out.

My point is/was that I think having Bullock back with his talents and knowledge of the system (if you can call it that) that Roy runs would be preferable to a one and done unproven, albeit fantastic talent....

wilko
04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
I will have to take yours and others word for it regarding Wiggins. I have not seen him play, but I do know that the rule for highly touted freshmen is that they tend to underachieve compared to the hype.

Wiggins may make a huge splash next year and that would not be unprecedented. But at the same time everyone including the media projected HB's as ALL American material and we saw how that worked out.

My point is/was that I think having Bullock back with his talents and knowledge of the system (if you can call it that) that Roy runs would be preferable to a one and done unproven, albeit fantastic talent....

Its times like this I miss Matt D.

CarmenWallaceWade
04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Bullock averaged 14 points and shot 44% from 3 last year. I think it's safe to say he would have had a very nice senior season. He was a big reason UNC had a lot of success down the stretch with that small lineup. If Wiggins doesn't cave to Roy's hard sell I don't see how UNC will be any better or even as good as they were last year.

camion
04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Bullock averaged 14 points and shot 44% from 3 last year. I think it's safe to say he would have had a very nice senior season. He was a big reason UNC had a lot of success down the stretch with that small lineup. If Wiggins doesn't cave to Roy's hard sell I don't see how UNC will be any better or even as good as they were last year.

But they have Meeks coming in. I've heard he's very big around the middle.

oldnavy
04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Projecting is difficult. But when we try to project we need to realize that EVERYTHING changes from one year to the next. Sure losing Bullock is going to hurt UNC, but the other players SHOULD improve and grow. Hairston SHOULD be a better player and he was already pretty darn good. The Bigs for UNC SHOULD develop, Paige SHOULD get better.... etc... etc.. etc...

I am not predicting that UNC will be a final four team, but I think it would be a mistake to write them off with a core of Hairston, Paige and JMM... all they really need is one of the Bigs (including Meeks) to become serviceable and McDonald, Britt, and or Hicks to give decent minutes.

Do I think that they will win the ACC with that scenario? No, but I wouldn't sleep on them either.

Who knows????

Des Esseintes
04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Projecting is difficult. But when we try to project we need to realize that EVERYTHING changes from one year to the next. Sure losing Bullock is going to hurt UNC, but the other players SHOULD improve and grow. Hairston SHOULD be a better player and he was already pretty darn good. The Bigs for UNC SHOULD develop, Paige SHOULD get better.... etc... etc.. etc...

I am not predicting that UNC will be a final four team, but I think it would be a mistake to write them off with a core of Hairston, Paige and JMM... all they really need is one of the Bigs (including Meeks) to become serviceable and McDonald, Britt, and or Hicks to give decent minutes.

Do I think that they will win the ACC with that scenario? No, but I wouldn't sleep on them either.

Who knows????

I think this take is pretty much right. Carolina was young this season. The post-tourney consensus had them around #8 for next year before Bullock declared. Does his absence drop them completely out of the top 25? Maybe, but they have so many young players that their chances of one or two experiencing a breakthrough are solid.

bbosbbos
04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Many expect PJ will be really good. Even ESPN predicts he would be AA player. Think about it, this season everyone focused on RB and JM, but not on PJ. So PJ got many chances to score. When PJ is the focus of oppoent defense next season, wow...

By the way, no matter Wiggins coming in or not, UNC will not be a top 4 acc team next season. Simply because they can not defend.

Bob Green
04-16-2013, 03:34 PM
...how does UNC lose its best all-around and most reliable player and still get to pretty good from where they were last season without adding an impact freshman?

I don't disagree with you that UNC next year will be very similar to UNC last season, but I would like to point out they are adding Isaiah Hicks who is the #20 ranked recruit according to Scout and #16 by Rivals. Hicks scored 35 points and grabbed 30 rebounds in the North Carolina High School State Championship Game. It is a stretch to label Hicks an "impact freshman" but he is much higher rated than Kennedy Meeks (#50 Scout/#57 Rivals) who is receiving all the press in this thread because people (including me) are easily entertained by fat jokes.

Duvall
04-16-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't disagree with you that UNC next year will be very similar to UNC last season, but I would like to point out they are adding Isaiah Hicks who is the #20 ranked recruit according to Scout and #16 by Rivals. Hicks scored 35 points and grabbed 30 rebounds in the North Carolina High School State Championship Game. It is a stretch to label Hicks an "impact freshman" but he is much higher rated than Kennedy Meeks (#50 Scout/#57 Rivals) who is receiving all the press in this thread because people (including me) are easily entertained by fat jokes.

That's fair. If Hicks is able to give UNC the reliable and efficient post presence that they have been unable to get from McAdoo, James, Johnson, Hubert or Simmons, then the Heels could take a big step forward next year.

dukelifer
04-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Hicks is a bit raw- but there is certainly some talent there. Will have more issues against real defenses.

subzero02
04-16-2013, 05:30 PM
But they have Meeks coming in. I've heard he's very big around the middle.

Yes, it is true... The Meeks has inherited the girth.

BD80
04-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Yes, it is true... The Meeks has inherited the girth.

Tremendous!

But have we really stooped to "yo' mama is so fat" jokes?

OldPhiKap
04-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Carolina's biggest problem last year was youth.

Okay, youth and lack of a big man.

Okay, youth and lack of a big man and lack of a good point guard.

Amongst the many problems with Carolina last year were such diverse elements as . . . .

Saratoga2
04-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Does this pave the way for Wiggins?

MartyClark
04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Tremendous!

But have we really stooped to "yo' mama is so fat" jokes?

Yes.

NashvilleDevil
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
JMM is staying per a number of snarky tweets.

tbyers11
04-16-2013, 09:11 PM
McAdoo coming back (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22084986/north-carolinas-mcadoo-returning-for-junior-campaign) to UNC per Jeff Goodman

I guess this helps them but he was a pretty inefficient player last year

Newton_14
04-16-2013, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the Coke, Coach. But did you have to shake it first?

Translation: "This is the dumbest frickin decision one of my players has ever made. I have more NBA contacts in my pinky finger than Reggie's family has in their entire family tree and all state he is not ready and will go in the 2nd round and end up in the D League. Meanwhile he is screwing my dadgum team and that dadgum Calipari is taking all my recruits. My team will stink again with this roster of no good players. Plus I will have to listen to those idiot fans calling into my radio show again dadgummit telling me how to coach my dadgum frickin team, when they don't even show up for the dadgum games. I have half a mind to get my dadgum BB gun and shoot Reggie and his dadgum family in the butt a few times for this dadgum stupid decision dadgummit. And we aint taking no dadgum questions on this decision so don't call in and ask"

:cool::eek:

freedevil
04-16-2013, 09:29 PM

Inefficient is putting it politely.

gofurman
04-16-2013, 10:11 PM
McAdoo coming back (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22084986/north-carolinas-mcadoo-returning-for-junior-campaign) to UNC per Jeff Goodman

no matter what some people say McAdoo returning is great for UNC. He, Hairston and Paige with everyone on the team improving is a good team. Maybe not great but v good. I would have far preferred it had one more guy decided to leave (Hairston or McAdoo). But it is what it is. They have 4 starters returning and these days (one and done) those teams do well - see Duke 2012-2013... Older players are rare these days. Paige hitting jumpers at the end of last year starts to scare me. They have much better potential nxt year than this year. 4 returning players including an improving (fr to soph) PG along with several good recruits. Plus they can return to Roy's two Big Man system if one of the bigs improves which is likely.

CDu
04-16-2013, 10:25 PM
no matter what some people say McAdoo returning is great for UNC. He, Hairston and Paige with everyone on the team improving is a good team. Maybe not great but v good. I would have far preferred it had one more guy decided to leave (Hairston or McAdoo). But it is what it is. They have 4 starters returning and these days (one and done) those teams do well - see Duke 2012-2013... Older players are rare these days. Paige hitting jumpers at the end of last year starts to scare me. They have much better potential nxt year than this year. 4 returning players including an improving (fr to soph) PG along with several good recruits. Plus they can return to Roy's two Big Man system if one of the bigs improves which is likely.

All of that is true, but I still like our PG, SG, SF, PF, and bench more. And there is still a chance I might like our C play more too.

Unless UNC adds Wiggins, I don't think they are a huge threat to be better than us next year.

gofurman
04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
All of that is true, but I still like our PG, SG, SF, PF, and bench more. And there is still a chance I might like our C play more too.

Unless UNC adds Wiggins, I don't think they are a huge threat to be better than us next year.

True - but think if McAdoo had left - Brice Johnson, Joel James, and Desmond Hubert Inside? Sort of like Marshall P - maybe good but nothing proven. But Parker is coming too and Amile is in there so I favor us as you do... Now if Wiggins comes that evens things out a good bit

_Gary
04-16-2013, 10:38 PM

I agree with all this. But the converse is true. If they do land Wiggins, I think they have to be viewed as a serious threat.

Duvall
04-16-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree with all this. But the converse is true. If they do land Wiggins, I think they have to be viewed as a serious threat.

Threat for what?

Sure, IF UNC gets Wiggins AND McAdoo stops being a high-volume low-efficiency possession burner AND Paige makes a sophomore jump AND one of UNC's big men becomes something other than embarrassing, THEN UNC could sneak into the top 10 or so. But that's a lot of ifs.

-jk
04-16-2013, 10:50 PM
C'mon - why is Bullock leaving? He's been recruited over. Wiggins will be announcing for unc shortly. Just watch!

I only hope he has the illustrious career Barnes had at unc.

-jk

ncexnyc
04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Threat for what?
AND one of UNC's big men becomes something other than embarrassing
Have you looked at the Marshall Plumlee thread, which is currently at four pages and counting. You may want to consider tempering your words in the future.

Duvall
04-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Have you looked at the Marshall Plumlee thread, which is currently at four pages and counting. You may want to consider tempering your words in the future.

What point are you trying to make here?

ncexnyc
04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
What point are you trying to make here?
I think the Plumlee thread speaks for itself.

Kedsy
04-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Does this pave the way for Wiggins?

I can't imagine Wiggins was worried that Reggie Bullock might take his minutes. If anything, UNC losing a good player would make it less likely for Wiggins to go there because he has stated he wants to play on a contender.

Also, I haven't followed the Wiggins recruitment, other than what I read on DBR. Does anyone outside of Chapel Hill think Wiggins is anything more than a wild longshot to choose UNC?

Duvall
04-16-2013, 11:21 PM
I think the Plumlee thread speaks for itself.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here.

ncexnyc
04-16-2013, 11:28 PM
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here.

If you read that thread you'll see that a large number of board members don't think very highly of Marshall. Many consider him a huge question mark for next year's team, which is also part of the reason some members are getting so worked up looking for a 5th year transfer. Personally I think he'll do just fine. With all the talent surrounding him he doesn't have to be great, not even very good. Play D and get some boards is all we need from him.
So when you call the big men for the heels embarassing, it makes me wonder how you view Marshall and whether you consider him an embarassment.

ncexnyc
04-16-2013, 11:51 PM
C'mon - why is Bullock leaving? He's been recruited over. Wiggins will be announcing for unc shortly. Just watch!

-jk

LOL. The love shown to HB on this board is almost as funny as the dislike shown to our very own Austin Rivers on this very same board.
Consider these stats if you will.
MPG 29.3 33
PPG 16.4 16.2
FG% 43 43.3
3PT% 34.9 36.2
FT% 73.5 77.2
APG 1.3 2.0
RPG 5.5 6.9
The first column is Barnes the second is Kyle Singler. Now Kyle is often mentioned as being worthy of having his jersey retired for his accomplishments at Duke. I realize Barnes turned off a lot of people with the Skype stunt and many believe he misled Coach K somehow during the recruitment process. I also know the self-promotion alienated quite a few, but the fact remains the kid was an excellent basketball player. If we’re honest we have to believe they had an excellent shot at a title if Marshall doesn’t break his wrist, which would give both him and Singler rings.
I guess the question that we need to ask is, would we be unhappy if Parker were to post numbers similar to those posted by Barnes?

moonpie23
04-17-2013, 12:51 AM
I realize Barnes turned off a lot of people with the Skype stunt and many believe he misled Coach K somehow during the recruitment process. I also know the self-promotion alienated quite a few,

how many more things do you need to list to show what a jerk he was......? no.....he was not an "excellent" bb player.....

oh you forgot that last stat comparison...

0-1

davekay1971
04-17-2013, 06:03 AM
LOL. The love shown to HB on this board is almost as funny as the dislike shown to our very own Austin Rivers on this very same board.
MPG 29.3 33
PPG 16.4 16.2
FG% 43 43.3
3PT% 34.9 36.2
FT% 73.5 77.2
APG 1.3 2.0
RPG 5.5 6.9
The first column is Barnes the second is Kyle Singler. Now Kyle is often mentioned as being worthy of having his jersey retired for his accomplishments at Duke. I realize Barnes turned off a lot of people with the Skype stunt and many believe he misled Coach K somehow during the recruitment process. I also know the self-promotion alienated quite a few, but the fact remains the kid was an excellent basketball player. If we’re honest we have to believe they had an excellent shot at a title if Marshall doesn’t break his wrist, which would give both him and Singler rings.
I guess the question that we need to ask is, would we be unhappy if Parker were to post numbers similar to those posted by Barnes?

Your post is an awesome example of how little stats tell of the whole picture. I wouldn't call the difference between Kyle and Barnes "intangibles" because, watching them play, the differences were obvious.

Kyle was a warrior, in every sense of the word. The kid was going 100% effort every game, on both ends of the court. He never disappeared, never seemed to be coasting. He made an impact on the game every time he was in the game.

Barnes, on the other hand, spent vast stretches of the games he was in having no impact at all. He tended to float around the perimeter (not running the perimeter, trying to get open off screens...I mean really float on the perimeter) waiting for the offense to find him. He was a mediocre, frequently disinterested, defender. He rebounded only when the press started to note his lack of rebounding.

Probably the best summary between the two was that Kyle was a driving force on teams that consistently overachieved, or at least achieved to their potential. Barnes, on the other hand, was never the driving force on any of his teams. He was part of some successful teams, but never the force behind the success (his last team at UNC was his most successful, and there is no question that Kendall Marshall was the engine of that team...while Barnes was probably the 4th most important member of the team).

To your last question, are you asking us whether we'd like Parker to have a freshman stat line comparable to Barnes' career stat line, or a freshman year that is comparable to Barnes' freshman year? Barnes was a mess his freshman year, and I certainly hope Parker adapts to the college game faster than Barnes did. But if Parker scores 16 points and grabs 5 boards per game, yes, I'd be happy...as long as Parker is giving a consistently high effort level and appears to have his focus squarely on the team's success. However, if he showes up on campus wearing "I'm that guy" t-shirts, gives himself an idiotic nickname, and makes impromptu calls to local reporters halfway through the season to get an update on his POY status, I'll be very disappointed no matter what his stat line looks like.

bob blue devil
04-17-2013, 06:35 AM

I'm no Prince Harry fan, but he also did well on the last possession with the game in the balance (small sample size alert); this is something people would certainly latch on to if he were "our guy".

devildeac
04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Carolina's biggest problem last year was youth.

Okay, youth and lack of a big man.

Okay, youth and lack of a big man and lack of a good point guard.

Amongst the many problems with Carolina last year were such diverse elements as . . . .

Noooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...

And to stay on topic, best of luck to ya, Reggie.

NashvilleDevil
04-17-2013, 08:45 AM
MPG 29.3 33
PPG 16.4 16.2
FG% 43 43.3
3PT% 34.9 36.2
FT% 73.5 77.2
APG 1.3 2.0
RPG 5.5 6.9

And if Kyrie doesn't get hurt than Kyle probably has two rings.

gumbomoop
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Also, I haven't followed the Wiggins recruitment, other than what I read on DBR. Does anyone outside of Chapel Hill think Wiggins is anything more than a wild longshot to choose UNC?

It appears that one -jk does.

Now, -jk is a nutter. [By which I mean, anyone foolish enough to sign on to moderate a discussion among fanatics is, definitionally speaking, a nutter.] And -jk claims to live near DC, which is outside of CH. And it's at least possible -jk isn't kidding, and thinks Wiggins just might, yes, attend UNC.

Further, there's this .....

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1284074.html

...... which hardly proves that Wiggins is less [more??] than a wild longshot to matriculate over there, but does suggest he's still pretending pretty persuasively to be deciding among 4, not 2, universities.

I note all this, by way of gently questioning Kedsy's near-certainty that Wiggins will not wind up in CH, simply because I hope Wiggins goes to FSU, but still worry he might wildly choose to play for the Heels. I'm on record [different thread] as asserting in no uncertain terms that "Jabari is real, real good." IMO, so is Wiggins.

Go 'Noles.

Lar77
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
MPG 29.3 33
PPG 16.4 16.2
FG% 43 43.3
3PT% 34.9 36.2
FT% 73.5 77.2
APG 1.3 2.0
RPG 5.5 6.9

Yes Harrison Barnes had similar stats to Kyle Singler. They still do in the big league (HB is even slightly better). Barnes is a very good basketball talent, but the stats do not reflect defense and do not reflect intangibles. Maybe that was coaching or personality or whatever.

I am a big Singler fan and believe he should be honored for being a strong four year player (with impressive comparative stats to other Duke players) who did whatever it took to help the team (I can't say that about HB) and created a number of memorable moments that resulted in wins (I can't say that either). But Singler's accomplishments meshed in with other players, like Scheyer and Smith, and it is tough to say that he deserves to be singled out (no pun intended). He was the consummate team player that makes Duke a fun team to watch.

If Marshall doesn't get hurt, UNC had a good chance to be in the FF and they did take Kentucky to the wire earlier in the season.

If Kyrie doesn't get hurt, maybe Duke continues as a juggernaut and repeats

SupaDave
04-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Yes Harrison Barnes had similar stats to Kyle Singler. They still do in the big league (HB is even slightly better). Barnes is a very good basketball talent, but the stats do not reflect defense and do not reflect intangibles. Maybe that was coaching or personality or whatever.

I am a big Singler fan and believe he should be honored for being a strong four year player (with impressive comparative stats to other Duke players) who did whatever it took to help the team (I can't say that about HB) and created a number of memorable moments that resulted in wins (I can't say that either). But Singler's accomplishments meshed in with other players, like Scheyer and Smith, and it is tough to say that he deserves to be singled out (no pun intended). He was the consummate team player that makes Duke a fun team to watch.

If Marshall doesn't get hurt, UNC had a good chance to be in the FF and they did take Kentucky to the wire earlier in the season.

If Kyrie doesn't get hurt, maybe Duke continues as a juggernaut and repeats

HB - hit at least 5 or 6 game winning shots at UNC. Don't know how you could forget that.

Lar77
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
HB - hit at least 5 or 6 game winning shots at UNC. Don't know how you could forget that.

Amnesia?

Ichabod Drain
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
And if Kyrie doesn't get hurt than Kyle probably has two rings.

And if Kendall Marshall doesn't get hurt Barnes might have one.

If Ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas.

roywhite
04-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Yawn. Like we don't talk enough about Harrison Barnes?

On topic, seems to me Bullock's departure definitely hurts; Heels could project near the top of the league if many things go right, but more likely to be a notch or two below first place.
I look for general improvement from returning players, and the possibility that Isaiah Hicks could be an emerging star, depending on picking up some strength and bulk...which may not happen till his second year, but he still could be dangerous and a big plus for the Heels next year.

FerryFor50
04-17-2013, 10:17 AM
JMM is staying in school.

I guess he likes watching his draft stock fall.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130416/james-michael-mcadoo-staying-at-unc-reggie-bullock-declares-for-draft.ap/

Duvall
04-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Anything's possible, but we probably shouldn't pretend that UNC 2012 would have had more than a puncher's chance against Kentucky by the end of the season.

Lar77
04-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Yawn. Like we don't talk enough about Harrison Barnes?

On topic, seems to me Bullock's departure definitely hurts; Heels could project near the top of the league if many things go right, but more likely to be a notch or two below first place.
I look for general improvement from returning players, and the possibility that Isaiah Hicks could be an emerging star, depending on picking up some strength and bulk...which may not happen till his second year, but he still could be dangerous and a big plus for the Heels next year.

This may be in a different thread, but rather than focus on UNC, what about the entire league? History has shown that freshman may or may not be what they were in high school. Based on this past year, returns, and likelihood of freshman success, Duke and Syracuse should be in the top 4 (at least 1 and possibly two byes in the ACCT). UNC should be there as well.

State's stock seems to be dropping. Likewise, Miami. So not in the top 4.

BC's stock should be rising.

Wake is likely dangerous at home and weak on the road. Same with UVa.

VaTech looks like "wait until next year." Clemson too.

ND and Pitt have been good, but not great. teams over the past few years. Probably the same next year.

FSU may be a matter of Wiggins.

That leaves GTech and Maryland. Middle of the pack.

So Duke, Syracuse and UNC should get byes in the ACCT. ND, Pitt, UVa, BC contending.

Duvall
04-17-2013, 10:55 AM
This may be in a different thread, but rather than focus on UNC, what about the entire league? History has shown that freshman may or may not be what they were in high school. Based on this past year, returns, and likelihood of freshman success, Duke and Syracuse should be in the top 4 (at least 1 and possibly two byes in the ACCT). UNC should be there as well.

State's stock seems to be dropping. Likewise, Miami. So not in the top 4.

BC's stock should be rising.

Wake is likely dangerous at home and weak on the road. Same with UVa.

Virginia finished one game behind UNC in the standings last year and *isn't* losing its best player to the draft. Their chances of getting a bye are at least as good as the Heels at this point.

NashvilleDevil
04-17-2013, 11:28 AM

If you look at the poster I quoted you will see that he said the same thing about Kendall's injury hurting UNC's chances at winning it all. I just wanted the poster to know that although that may be true it is also true that Kyrie's injury probably cost Duke a title and would have given Kyle 2 hypothetical titles to Black Falcon's hypothetical 1.

Olympic Fan
04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Virginia finished one game behind UNC in the standings last year and *isn't* losing its best player to the draft. Their chances of getting a bye are at least as good as the Heels at this point.

This really belongs in the ACC Early Prediction thread, but I do agree with your evaluation of Virginia -- they've got their key players back (Jeperson and Evans were hardly key pieces), including a guy who was unanimous first-team all-ACC by the coaches. They add a quality transfer in Gill and get one of their best talents -- Brogden -- back after he missed last season with injuries. Yes, they have to solve their home/road issues but for most teams that's a year-to-year thing (Duke was 8-0 on the road in the ACC 2012; 5-4 with a better team in 2013). Last year Virginia was a young team that had as many injury problems as anybody in the league.

I think they clearly rate on a level with UNC ... if not Duke or Syracuse.

I also think you guys are underrating Maryland. Despite the loss of Len -- who was more potential than actual performance -- they still have size in Mitchell and Cleare, plus Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz. They have strong wings in Wells, Faust, Allen and Layman ... they upgrade at the point with Roddy Peters. Pafgett was no loss and losing Howard was addition by subtraction.

I'd rate Maryland closer to the top of the ACC than the middle.

CDu
04-17-2013, 12:02 PM
This really belongs in the ACC Early Prediction thread, but I do agree with your evaluation of Virginia -- they've got their key players back (Jeperson and Evans were hardly key pieces), including a guy who was unanimous first-team all-ACC by the coaches. They add a quality transfer in Gill and get one of their best talents -- Brogden -- back after he missed last season with injuries. Yes, they have to solve their home/road issues but for most teams that's a year-to-year thing (Duke was 8-0 on the road in the ACC 2012; 5-4 with a better team in 2013). Last year Virginia was a young team that had as many injury problems as anybody in the league.

I think they clearly rate on a level with UNC ... if not Duke or Syracuse.

I also think you guys are underrating Maryland. Despite the loss of Len -- who was more potential than actual performance -- they still have size in Mitchell and Cleare, plus Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz. They have strong wings in Wells, Faust, Allen and Layman ... they upgrade at the point with Roddy Peters. Pafgett was no loss and losing Howard was addition by subtraction.

I'd rate Maryland closer to the top of the ACC than the middle.

Regarding UVa: the one question will be PG play. They lose their starting PG, and their backup (Jones) wasn't terribly impressive as a freshman. Maybe he gets a good bit better, but that's asking a lot. And after him, they have only two freshman (both 3-star guys, so unknowns).

Now, UVa will be absolutely loaded on the wings. Harris is a star, Anderson and Brogden are both really promising players, and Barnette adds another shooter if needed. And they'll have actual depth and talent inside, with Mitchell, Gill, Tobey, and Nolte. But it all comes back to whether they'll have the PG play to make it work.

Regarding Maryland: I mostly agree. Len had his moments of dominance but was inconsistent. Losing him hurts. But they'll have lots of good perimeter play and will have a true PG (even though he's a freshman). And I think that Cleare and Mitchell (who combined for 9.2 ppg and 8.1 rpg in 27.7 mpg last year) and Smotrycz can be more than enough inside. The one thing they won't have will be a shotblocking presence, but I think the gain at PG and in experience might offset that.

whereinthehellami
04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
McAdoo's stats don't show the improvement from his first year to his second year like those of Bullock and Hairston did. Is he still progressing or did he peak already? Will/can McAdoo step up his scoring and rebounding? His efficiency was not that good last year and he seemed to operate outside the offense on a lot of his wild shots. I can't remember the last time I saw one guy miss that badly on 10 foot shots. is it fixable? Can he settle down? I could see McAdoo getting over 15 PTs, over 8 REBs, and over 2 STLs a game while shooting over 45% from 2 and over 60% from the FT.

A lot will depend on if they land Wiggins and if another option opens up in the post and if McAdoo can go back to playing the 4. If McAdoo is UNC's 2nd option on offense next year I would not want to be dressed up in anything powder blue. Hairston looks like the first option to me unless they get Wiggins. The rest is up in the air. I don't see McDonald becoming a second or third option even though he is a senior now. Does Paige become the second or third option and concentrate less on distributing the ball?

If McAdoo starts at the 4 for UNC and Duke starts Parker at the 4, I like Parker by a bit as I'm not sold on McAdoo's toughness and think he might be more of a complimentary player than a star (like the prince). I think he'll be better than this past year but I see Hairston grabbing the shots when UNc needs someone to step up.

Olympic Fan
04-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Regarding UVa: the one question will be PG play. They lose their starting PG, and their backup (Jones) wasn't terribly impressive as a freshman. Maybe he gets a good bit better, but that's asking a lot. And after him, they have only two freshman (both 3-star guys, so unknowns).

Now, UVa will be absolutely loaded on the wings. Harris is a star, Anderson and Brogden are both really promising players, and Barnette adds another shooter if needed. And they'll have actual depth and talent inside, with Mitchell, Gill, Tobey, and Nolte. But it all comes back to whether they'll have the PG play to make it work.

Regarding Maryland: I mostly agree. Len had his moments of dominance but was inconsistent. Losing him hurts. But they'll have lots of good perimeter play and will have a true PG (even though he's a freshman). And I think that Cleare and Mitchell (who combined for 9.2 ppg and 8.1 rpg in 27.7 mpg last year) and Smotrycz can be more than enough inside. The one thing they won't have will be a shotblocking presence, but I think the gain at PG and in experience might offset that.

Actually, going into last season, Bennett's plan was to turn Malcolm Brogden into his point guard. He's big (a strong 6-5) with the best one-on-one skills on the team. In an uptempo, fullcourt game, I would think he could struggle to play the point. But in the halfcourt, walk-it-up game that Bennett wants to play, Brogdon could be outstanding.

Obviously that's a question mark, but everybody we're talking about has questions, including Duke (and it's lack of a proven big man). I don't think Virginia's questions are any bigger at this point that UNC (do they finally find a second big man? How much does Paige improve? Who replaces Bullock -- and don't say McDonald, he's already replacing Strickland and besides, he's a 27 percent career 3-point shooter?) They have a chance to answer those questions in the positive (for instance, Wiggins would fill Bullock's shoes nicely), but so does Virginia.

CDu
04-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Actually, going into last season, Bennett's plan was to turn Malcolm Brogden into his point guard. He's big (a strong 6-5) with the best one-on-one skills on the team. In an uptempo, fullcourt game, I would think he could struggle to play the point. But in the halfcourt, walk-it-up game that Bennett wants to play, Brogdon could be outstanding.

Obviously that's a question mark, but everybody we're talking about has questions, including Duke (and it's lack of a proven big man). I don't think Virginia's questions are any bigger at this point that UNC (do they finally find a second big man? How much does Paige improve? Who replaces Bullock -- and don't say McDonald, he's already replacing Strickland and besides, he's a 27 percent career 3-point shooter?) They have a chance to answer those questions in the positive (for instance, Wiggins would fill Bullock's shoes nicely), but so does Virginia.

That's fair. If Brogden can be adequate at PG (and you're right that Bennett's system doesn't necessarily need a "break you down" PG. It just needs to avoid turnovers and get the offense set. From there, anyone can attack. Brogden would join Harris and Anderson as guys more than capable of creating their own shot. And of course the quartet of Mitchell, Tobey, Hill, and Nolte should be quite good in the post. And that ignores that they'll have 3 PG.

Honestly, based on that, I'd tend to wonder if maybe they shouldn't be higher than UNC. They were nearly equivalent to UNC last year, and should only be better next year (assuming they get even adequate PG play - it's not like Evans was superb there). Perhaps they are the #2 team in the conference? Even over Syracuse and UNC?

whereinthehellami
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Starting 5
Bullock 6-7 (wingspan 6-9) SR

Based on Bullock going pro and UNC not adding Wiggins, I think UNC adds another big to the starting 5:

Starting 5
Johnson 6-9 (wingspan 6-11 ) SO

I thought Johnson showed some flashes early last year of having a decent offensive game and I think that gives him an edge over the other bigs. Johnson hit a wall as the year went along and looked pretty clueless at the end. Can Johnson add enough weight and strength in the off-season to be a factor next year?

Hicks would be my next guess to slip into the lineup as another big if Johnson hasn't evolved enough. It would be asking a lot of Hicks to be able to pick up the system, especially since he faced really poor competition in high school. But if he can nail down some decent defense and excel in transition and putbacks that might be enough to get him in the starting lineup as the frontcourt for UNC is still relatively weak.

The above updated lineup is not particularly strong at the 2 and the 5. I would expect McDonald to be a consistent role player at the 2 as a senior but he does not instill fear into opposing teams. The 1,3, and 4 positions should be strong and more consistent than they were last year but I don't see a star or natural team leader. I'm not as sold on Hairston as a lot of people are and if he is their go-to guy, as a Duke fan, I'll take that.

Kedsy
04-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Hicks would be my next guess to slip into the lineup as another big if Johnson hasn't evolved enough.

I assume Hicks (#12 in last summer's RSCI) will start rather than Johnson, but you never know with freshmen, especially at UNC. Looking at your predicted lineup (even with Hicks but again assuming no Wiggins), I don't see UNC as a top ten team. They'll probably score a lot of points, but won't have a great (or efficient) offense absent a quantum leap from Paige (and frankly I just don't see him as that great a PG, even factoring in the expected sophomore bump). The real problem with that lineup is defense. McAdoo and [choose your UNC big man] are not particularly strong inside defensively, they'd be small at PG and SF, and McDonald may be adequate but he's not a defensive stopper by any stretch.

So overall, that would give them a good but not great offense and a below average defense, which suggests to me they'll probably be inhabiting the lower portions of the top 25, and maybe fighting for 3rd or 4th place in the ACC.

tfk53
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I have had the pleasure of watching Isaiah Hicks play for our high school team the past 2 years, leading to the 3A championship last month. Having seen about 20 games with Hicks playing, I feel I have some insight into his potential. For those wondering about this being my first post - Have been a Duke fan since moving to the South in 1980 ( from Big Ten country - still pull for OSU if not playing Duke) - restarted watching games in 1981 after surviving internship and decided to follow the team with a coach whose name I could not spell. Been reading DBR for many years. Just never felt I could really add to the overall super posts I read daily. I do have a son who is UNC grad - his choice, not mine - and we are now at a point where we can actually watch Duke-UNC in the same room and not drive my wife crazy.

Regarding Hicks, he has made great strides in the past year. He handles the ball fairly well in the open court, including an occasional behind the back dribble to evade a defender. Not a showboat at all. He does an excellent job of letting the game come to him. In the 3A finals, I was surprised that he went 34/30/7. It happened in the flow of the game so you didn't notice these numbers running up. Runs the court well - have seen him get back in time to block a fast break layup. Has developed some post moves and can go left decently. Distance shooting is streaky. Appears he is still trying to finalize his shooting form - not a consistent picture every time he goes up for a shot. His strength is a big issue - teams pushed him away from the basket with relative ease anytime he tried to set up low. He got double and triple teamed regularly, diminishing his performances.

Defensively, he is quick as a cat with long arms - don't know his wingspan but looks and plays long. Does well at blocking without fouling. He is proud of his defense and works hard on that end of the court. He has a team first attitude and not one to blow his own horn - that was self-evident in the video with Parker, Jones, and Meeks at the McD game. He is an overall very good kid.

Although his conference was not the strongest, he did play against some excellent out-of-conference opponents and mostly held his own or performed admirably. In January, his team beat Mt Tabor - then undefeated and a top 4A school in NC.

I think what will keep his time down initially is his strength and weight. If he is able to get a consistent jump shot, he'll play more. His quickness will get him some PT from the other UNC bigs other than JMM. Certainly not going to be playing the 5 for Roy unless Roy is totally desperate. In some ways, very similar to Henson. Would expect more in year 2/3 from him. My UNC son - who played point for the same HS a few years earlier - agrees. Nice to be able to agree with your son on something!

roywhite
04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I have had the pleasure of watching Isaiah Hicks play for our high school team the past 2 years, leading to the 3A championship last month. Having seen about 20 games with Hicks playing, I feel I have some insight into his potential. For those wondering about this being my first post - Have been a Duke fan since moving to the South in 1980 ( from Big Ten country - still pull for OSU if not playing Duke) - restarted watching games in 1981 after surviving internship and decided to follow the team with a coach whose name I could not spell. Been reading DBR for many years. Just never felt I could really add to the overall super posts I read daily. I do have a son who is UNC grad - his choice, not mine - and we are now at a point where we can actually watch Duke-UNC in the same room and not drive my wife crazy.

Regarding Hicks, he has made great strides in the past year. He handles the ball fairly well in the open court, including an occasional behind the back dribble to evade a defender. Not a showboat at all. He does an excellent job of letting the game come to him. In the 3A finals, I was surprised that he went 34/30/7. It happened in the flow of the game so you didn't notice these numbers running up. Runs the court well - have seen him get back in time to block a fast break layup. Has developed some post moves and can go left decently. Distance shooting is streaky. Appears he is still trying to finalize his shooting form - not a consistent picture every time he goes up for a shot. His strength is a big issue - teams pushed him away from the basket with relative ease anytime he tried to set up low. He got double and triple teamed regularly, diminishing his performances.

Defensively, he is quick as a cat with long arms - don't know his wingspan but looks and plays long. Does well at blocking without fouling. He is proud of his defense and works hard on that end of the court. He has a team first attitude and not one to blow his own horn - that was self-evident in the video with Parker, Jones, and Meeks at the McD game. He is an overall very good kid.

Although his conference was not the strongest, he did play against some excellent out-of-conference opponents and mostly held his own or performed admirably. In January, his team beat Mt Tabor - then undefeated and a top 4A school in NC.

I think what will keep his time down initially is his strength and weight. If he is able to get a consistent jump shot, he'll play more. His quickness will get him some PT from the other UNC bigs other than JMM. Certainly not going to be playing the 5 for Roy unless Roy is totally desperate. In some ways, very similar to Henson. Would expect more in year 2/3 from him. My UNC son - who played point for the same HS a few years earlier - agrees. Nice to be able to agree with your son on something!

Thanks for a really nice write-up.

Glad to hear your nice words about following Duke, and hope you feel free to post in the future.

CDu
04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I assume Hicks (#12 in last summer's RSCI) will start rather than Johnson, but you never know with freshmen, especially at UNC. Looking at your predicted lineup (even with Hicks but again assuming no Wiggins), I don't see UNC as a top ten team. They'll probably score a lot of points, but won't have a great (or efficient) offense absent a quantum leap from Paige (and frankly I just don't see him as that great a PG, even factoring in the expected sophomore bump). The real problem with that lineup is defense. McAdoo and [choose your UNC big man] are not particularly strong inside defensively, they'd be small at PG and SF, and McDonald may be adequate but he's not a defensive stopper by any stretch.

So overall, that would give them a good but not great offense and a below average defense, which suggests to me they'll probably be inhabiting the lower portions of the top 25, and maybe fighting for 3rd or 4th place in the ACC.

While I agree with your overall assessment, I would disagree with the statement that they'd be small at SF. Hairston is 6'5", 220 lb. He is strong and extremely athletic. That's not what I would consider small at SF. Will he be shorter than some of his opponents at SF? Sure. But considering that he spent a fair amount of last year playing PF, I think he'll be plenty big at SF.

That said, I agree that UNC will be a high-scoring, not-so-efficient offensive team. And I think they'll be not so good defensively - in part because they don't have any particularly good defenders in that main group, and in part because Williams has never seemed to be a defense-first coach anyway.

They are losing their two best defenders (Strickland and Bullock). They have no shotblocking presence and nobody who is good as an individual defender.

I think they'd be in the 15-20 range nationally.

ChicagoHeel
04-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Glockner sees a run to the Elite 8 or better as "very possible". Strikes me as optimistic- a lot of things would have to go well such as steady improvements from MacAdoo and Paige and either a significant jump by a big man (most likely Brice) or Hicks coming in and adjusting quickly. (I'm assuming no Wiggins). The problem is that our defense, which wasn't great last year, should suffer with the loss of our two best defenders. And our offense might suffer from the same issue it did last year- no big man to contribute consistently and no one who can create off the dribble. However, if Paige adds some strength he might be able to penetrate more consistently, Brice showed signs last year, and Hicks seems very impressive, so it's possible. There's just a lot of questions.

With draft decisions made, Carolina is ready for its next NCAA run (http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/04/18/north-carolina-nba-draft-decisions-ncaa/?eref=sihp)

oldnavy
04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Glockner sees a run to the Elite 8 or better as "very possible". Strikes me as optimistic- a lot of things would have to go well such as steady improvements from MacAdoo and Paige and either a significant jump by a big man (most likely Brice) or Hicks coming in and adjusting quickly. (I'm assuming no Wiggins). The problem is that our defense, which wasn't great last year, should suffer with the loss of our two best defenders. And our offense might suffer from the same issue it did last year- no big man to contribute consistently and no one who can create off the dribble. However, if Paige adds some strength he might be able to penetrate more consistently, Brice showed signs last year, and Hicks seems very impressive, so it's possible. There's just a lot of questions.

With draft decisions made, Carolina is ready for its next NCAA run (http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/04/18/north-carolina-nba-draft-decisions-ncaa/?eref=sihp)

That is a pretty aggressive take, but I would not be "shocked" if things fell into place and UNC made a good run next year. I think with Hairston, Paige, JMM the core is there. The question is will the role players step up and make a difference.

I always hope for the worst, but expect the best when it comes to UNC.... sort of a coping mechanism I have developed over the years.

CDu
04-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Well, I would rate UNC in the 15-20 range next year. Based on that, I'd say that the Elite-8 is certainly a possibility.

I think you've nailed the points of concern (no proven post presence, no elite ballhandlers, no proven defenders). Essentially, next year's team will again be very un-Roy-like (weakest at the PG and post spots). His best teams over the past decade have been strongest at PG and PF/C. That wasn't the case this year and it isn't likely to be the case next year.

That said, there is certainly reason for hope. Several things could go right and bump you to top-10:
- Paige makes the jump as a PG
- Johnson gets stronger and more consistent on offense, and better defensively
- Hicks is ready to contribute big-time right away
- McAdoo figures out how to play offense and defense to go along with his athleticism (note: he may still have to play C next year if James, Meeks, and Hubert aren't ready, as Johnson and Hicks are PF)
- McDonald really steps up

There is decent talent on UNC's roster. But it doesn't fit together all that well at the moment. Your best post players are all PFs and none is a great back-to-the-basket scorer or post defender. Your PG is more of a SG at the moment rather than a playmaker. Your SG and SF aren't great ballhandlers or passers.

I think your assessment is pretty spot on, though. A really good season is possible, but there are a lot of questions.

Kishiznit
04-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Will be interested to see how this tweet impacts his draft status... Classy tweet from chapel hell

@DaBully35: Homie out in Boston making our forces look crazy, come on whole city on lockdown and y'all can't catch one dude!! Smh

OldPhiKap
04-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Will be interested to see how this tweet impacts his draft status... Classy tweet from chapel hell

@DaBully35: Homie out in Boston making our forces look crazy, come on whole city on lockdown and y'all can't catch one dude!! Smh

To be fair, it sounded better in Swahili.

oldnavy
04-20-2013, 12:13 PM

I'm sure that the brave men and women of the Boston PD and FBI appreciate the asinine opinion of a guy whose largest responsibility in life thus far has consisted of putting a basketball in the hoop.