PDA

View Full Version : Comments: Duke FB Spring Game

Greg_Newton
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Just a friendly reminder that the biggest football day of the offseason is coming up this Saturday at 4PM - come watch the first-team offense vs. first-team defense, and so on with the second-team.

Should be a beautiful day (74 and sunny) and a good opportunity to see our young talent in particular. Plus, it would be great to see a decent showing for the program in general. Plus, Peyton and Eli Manning, Wes Welker, Demariyus Thomas, Hakeem Nicks and Louis Murphy have been working out with the coaches on campus all week, so you never know who might make an appearance...

Terrible news about (backup QB) Sirk's injury earlier this week, but there are still plenty of things to be excited about within the program!

Bob Green
04-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll be there enjoying the day. Hopefully there will be a big crowd. This is my first opportunity to attend the Spring Game since 1976.

airowe
04-12-2013, 01:21 AM
And if you can't watch, the game will be on ESPN3.com

uh_no
04-12-2013, 02:09 AM
so I've never been to a spring game, but aside from the "players deserve support" argument, what is the justification for attending? Is it a nice atmosphere? and exciting game?

I'm just really curious....family is in town and want to decide whether it's something they would enjoy, or is it something that you really need to be super into duke or college football to appreciate.

Greg_Newton
04-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Well, for football fans, it's the equivalent of the Blue-White basketball game coming in July - a chance to spend a beautiful Saturday watching your college football team. Plus, you get to see all of the young guys that you might not get to see in regular games, and see what progress was made in spring practice and who looks promising for next season. A lot of former players are around, too.

You certainly don't have to come, it's just a fun Spring event for Duke football fans.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Perhaps atmosphere would draw some to the scrimmage. It is like the Blue-White scrimmage, but it's football. It's a relaxed day to enjoy football on one of the most beautiful campuses in America. It's Reunion Weekend, so the atmosphere will be festive. The weather will be pretty good... all in all, a great way to spend an afternoon.:cool:

Bob Green
04-14-2013, 07:38 AM
The Spring Game was an enjoyable afternoon that included a tour of the Yoh Center and the opportunity to walk through the tunnel and onto the field during warm-ups. There was a decent crowd basking in the sunshine while cheering on the team.

Here are some random thoughts:

* John Coleman (#70) had a rough day at center for the 2nd squad with several bad snaps.
* Long snapper Thomas Hennessy (#57) looked good.
* The game was almost penalty free although Sam Marshall (#99) was flagged for a face mask.
* The read option was utilized, but with the QBs wearing green jerseys and downed by two hand touch it is very challenging to assess effectiveness.
* Anthony Boone (#7) looked smooth running the 1st squad offense although he was inaccurate throwing the ball deep. His two interceptions are concerning as well.
* True freshman Parker Boehme (#12) played QB for the 2nd squad and was shaky early but settled down as the game progressed. He appears to have good agility or elusiveness.
* Outside of Jamison Crowder (#3), I was not impressed with the level of speed at receiver.
* Max McCaffrey (#87) had a couple of good catches. It looks like he could develop into an important possession receiver. The go to guy with great hands who can get the team a catch in vital situations.
* We utilized our Tight Ends as split receivers with two back formations being the norm all afternoon. The pistol is gone.
* The running game was solid especially deeper in the game. Duncan (#25), Snead (#9) and Powell (#28) all looked good running the ball.
* The 1st squad defensive line was able to pressure Anthony Boone. I thought Dez Johnson (#42) looked really good coming off the end.
* Linebacker and cornerback are positions off concern. At linebacker we really need players to get healthy. Kelby Brown (#59) and David Helton (#47) did not play nor did freshman Dominic McDonald (#51).
* Devon Edwards (#27) and Evrett Edwards (#2) saw a lot of action at cornerback. They are works in progress. Ross Cockrell (#6) did not play.
* Jeremy Cash (#16) looks like the real deal at safety. On his interception, he stepped in front of the receiver and made a nice catch. He also demonstrated the ability to come up and provide support defending the run.
* Other notable players who did not participate include Brandon Connette (#18), Brandon Braxton (#5), Kenny Anunike (#84) and Braxton Deaver (#89).

Those are off the top the head observations as I didn't take notes during the game but I did sit with and engage in an enjoyable conversation with pbc2 throughout the afternoon. I would be very interested in hearing comments from others who attended the game. Let's talk some football!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
The Spring Game was an enjoyable afternoon that included a tour of the Yoh Center and the opportunity to walk through the tunnel and onto the field during warm-ups. There was a decent crowd basking in the sunshine while cheering on the team.

* John Coleman (#70) had a rough day at center for the 2nd squad with several bad snaps.
* The game was almost penalty free although Sam Marshall (#99) was flagged for a face mask.
* The read option was utilized, but with the QBs wearing green jerseys and downed by two hand touch it is very challenging to assess effectiveness.
* Anthony Boone (#7) looked smooth running the 1st squad offense although he was inaccurate throwing the ball deep. His two interceptions are concerning as well.
* True freshman Parker Boehme (#12) played QB for the 2nd squad and was shaky early but settled down as the game progressed. He appears to have good agility or elusiveness.
* Outside of Jamison Crowder (#3), I was not impressed with the level of speed at receiver.
* Max McCaffrey (#87) had a couple of good catches. It looks like he could develop into an important possession receiver. The go to guy with great hands who can get the team a catch in vital situations.
* We utilized our Tight Ends as split receivers with two back formations being the norm all afternoon. The pistol is gone.
* The running game was solid especially deeper in the game. Duncan (#25), Snead (#9) and Powell (#28) all looked good running the ball.
* The 1st squad defensive line was able to pressure Anthony Boone. I thought Dez Johnson (#42) looked really good coming off the end.
* Linebacker and cornerback are positions off concern. At linebacker we really need players to get healthy. Kelby Brown (#59) and David Helton (#47) did not play nor did freshman Dominic McDonald (#51).
* Devon Edwards (#27) and Evrett Edwards (#2) saw a lot of action at cornerback. They are works in progress. Ross Cockrell (#6) did not play.
* Jeremy Cash (#16) looks like the real deal at safety. On his interception, he stepped in front of the receiver and made a nice catch. He also demonstrated the ability to come up and provide support defending the run.
* Other notable players who did not participate include Brandon Connette (#18), Brandon Braxton (#5), Kenny Anunike (#84) and Braxton Deaver (#89).

Those are off the top the head observations as I didn't take notes during the game but I did sit with and engage in an enjoyable conversation with pbc2 throughout the afternoon. I would be very interested in hearing comments from others who attended the game. Let's talk some football!

I thought the offense was restricted both because of lack of additional quarterbacks and mostly not to show our opposition what we'll be doing next year. Boone looked OK and McCaffrey looked good, as did Jameson Crowder. Yeah, Boonie needs to get his timing down on the long passes, although the brisk breeze did appear to make a couple of long passes sail.

Bob, you look damn good ringing the Victory Bell yesterday! Did you get a chance to try on the Belk Bowl ring that Danny Phillips brought over to our tailgate tent? Danny got it from his son Tommy, who is a trainer on the team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-14-2013, 11:26 AM

A few comments to add:
It's important to note that this was Parker Boehme's first practice yesterday. I thought he did very well considering the limited time to learn a variety of plays or to establish some sort of timing with any receivers.

Jeremy Cash is going to be an important play maker next year.

The atmosphere for the pre game activities was marvelous. Tailgate tents were set up near the entrance of Cameron and the North Game of Wallace Wade. (We were over near the Murray Building.) The air sandwiches and conversations made for a festive atmosphere. The Devil Walk was more informal than on a live game day, allowing fans to interact more with the players.

Another highlight of the day was the bowl rings which popped up yesterday! They are every bit as spectacular as the 2010 national championship rings.

Olympic Fan
04-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Just a few observations to add to Bob's excellent summary --

-- Allow me to add to the praise for Boehme ... you have to understand that the kid graduated from high school in December, underwent knee surgery just before the new year and enrolled at Duke in January. While he was on hand for spring practice, he didn't participate until the very end -- not sure this was actually his first practice, but it was his first contact. To go 11-13 for 128 yards, 1 TD and 0 int was outstanding. But (just like with Boone) we didn't get to see one of his strengths. Boehme is 6-2, 220 -- he's built much like Connette. Reportedly, he's a very powerful runner like Connette. We didn't get to see that because he (and Boone) were wearing green jersies -- which meant they could not be hit, but they also didn't get to run through arm tackles. The one caveat is that Boehme did most of his work against the scrubs.

-- The plan was originally to redshirt Boehme next season. The injury to Thomas Sirk could change that. Cut said after the game that they'll start Boone and Connette at QB and see what happens. But Beohme's performance was an encouraging sign.

-- Cash was, IMHO, the most impressive defender on the field. I should point out that the defense was without seven players who will be in the rotation -- including Cockrell, the team's best CB, both starting DEs Foxx and Anunike and LB Kelby Brown. Still Cash, playing the same Bandit position that Daniels and Canty played so well the last two years looked like the real deal. He was good in coverage and outstanding in run support -- almost Matt Daniels-like.

-- The game showed off the depth at OL. Harding and Patrick sat out the game and Cofield played just a few snaps. But redshirt freshman Tanner Stone and Cody Robinson, a redshirt sophomore who saw almost no action last year, started and were very solid. It's interesting that John Coleman, who has started a number of games this year, was playing with the scrub team -- that' how much better our depth is at that position.

-- I should mention that the squad division was weird -- and confusing. Essentially, there were two teams -- the regulars on offense (1s and 2s with some subs) faced the regulars on defense 1 and 2 with some subs); the 2s faced the 2s and the leftovers on offense faced the leftovers on defense. You can't get too excited about what the scrubs did against the scrubs. For the second year in a row, a walk-on named Eric Adams was the game's leading rusher. A year ago everybody got excited when Nick Hill caught two TD passes -- he never played a snap last season.

--Among the real players, Snead was the most effective running back, although Shaq Powell had the single most impressive run. Crowder was far and away the best receiver, although Max McCaffrey looked very good and Anthony Nash made a circus catch on a deep ball. Blakeney, playing in the slot this year, looked very sharp and very confident.

jimsumner
04-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Just a few observations to add to Bob's excellent summary --

-- Allow me to add to the praise for Boehme ... you have to understand that the kid graduated from high school in December, underwent knee surgery just before the new year and enrolled at Duke in January. While he was on hand for spring practice, he didn't participate until the very end -- not sure this was actually his first practice, but it was his first contact. To go 11-13 for 128 yards, 1 TD and 0 int was outstanding. But (just like with Boone) we didn't get to see one of his strengths. Boehme is 6-2, 220 -- he's built much like Connette. Reportedly, he's a very powerful runner like Connette. We didn't get to see that because he (and Boone) were wearing green jersies -- which meant they could not be hit, but they also didn't get to run through arm tackles. The one caveat is that Boehme did most of his work against the scrubs.

-- The plan was originally to redshirt Boehme next season. The injury to Thomas Sirk could change that. Cut said after the game that they'll start Boone and Connette at QB and see what happens. But Beohme's performance was an encouraging sign.

-- Cash was, IMHO, the most impressive defender on the field. I should point out that the defense was without seven players who will be in the rotation -- including Cockrell, the team's best CB, both starting DEs Foxx and Anunike and LB Kelby Brown. Still Cash, playing the same Bandit position that Daniels and Canty played so well the last two years looked like the real deal. He was good in coverage and outstanding in run support -- almost Matt Daniels-like.

-- The game showed off the depth at OL. Harding and Patrick sat out the game and Cofield played just a few snaps. But redshirt freshman Tanner Stone and Cody Robinson, a redshirt sophomore who saw almost no action last year, started and were very solid. It's interesting that John Coleman, who has started a number of games this year, was playing with the scrub team -- that' how much better our depth is at that position.

-- I should mention that the squad division was weird -- and confusing. Essentially, there were two teams -- the regulars on offense (1s and 2s with some subs) faced the regulars on defense 1 and 2 with some subs); the 2s faced the 2s and the leftovers on offense faced the leftovers on defense. You can't get too excited about what the scrubs did against the scrubs. For the second year in a row, a walk-on named Eric Adams was the game's leading rusher. A year ago everybody got excited when Nick Hill caught two TD passes -- he never played a snap last season.

--Among the real players, Snead was the most effective running back, although Shaq Powell had the single most impressive run. Crowder was far and away the best receiver, although Max McCaffrey looked very good and Anthony Nash made a circus catch on a deep ball. Blakeney, playing in the slot this year, looked very sharp and very confident.

Some good observations. Like all spring games, the offense was pretty vanilla. Coaches don't want to give away things they don't need to.

Coleman has just moved to center, so it makes sense to give him as much work as possible, even if that came with the second unit.

Braxton's return for the fall should help the speed at WR.

Crowder just toyed with Duke's secondary. He didn't play all that much. It's not like he needed to show Cut anything. He could have had 10 catches had the necessity been there.

Boone made some judgments in error, IMO. On several occasions, he just seemed to throw the ball up for grabs to see what would happen. Learning to check down to your secondary options can be a big learning curve for inexperienced QBs. But it's a step he needs to take.

As much as we've seen Duke's 5-9 corners victimized in the red zone by taller receivers, it's nice to contemplate using 6-6 Blakeney, 6-5 Nash and 6-7 Schneider and getting some pay back.

Josh Snead ran hard. Really, really hard, exploding through holes in the middle, breaking arm tackles.

Hud Mellencamp made a tackle. A real tackle. Good form and eveything.

What can you say about Eric Adams? A 5-8 walk-on running back, does it because he loves it, gets to shine every spring game because he's running against fellow walk-ons. Gotta love him. I mean he could be at the beach working on his tan or interviewing for summer internships. The same can be said for all the walk-ons. I love it when Cut and his staff find ways to get these guys into real games, even if it's only for a play or two. They've earned it.

Is reunion weekend the best day for this?

I was able to watch from the press box. Those of you who sat in the sun field and glared into Ol Sol for three hours have my sympathy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Some good observations. Like all spring games, the offense was pretty vanilla. Coaches don't want to give away things they don't need to.

Coleman has just moved to center, so it makes sense to give him as much work as possible, even if that came with the second unit.

Braxton's return for the fall should help the speed at WR.

Crowder just toyed with Duke's secondary. He didn't play all that much. It's not like he needed to show Cut anything. He could have had 10 catches had the necessity been there.

Boone made some judgments in error, IMO. On several occasions, he just seemed to throw the ball up for grabs to see what would happen. Learning to check down to your secondary options can be a big learning curve for inexperienced QBs. But it's a step he needs to take.

As much as we've seen Duke's 5-9 corners victimized in the red zone by taller receivers, it's nice to contemplate using 6-6 Blakeney, 6-5 Nash and 6-7 Schneider and getting some pay back.

Josh Snead ran hard. Really, really hard, exploding through holes in the middle, breaking arm tackles.

Hud Mellencamp made a tackle. A real tackle. Good form and eveything.

What can you say about Eric Adams? A 5-8 walk-on running back, does it because he loves it, gets to shine every spring game because he's running against fellow walk-ons. Gotta love him. I mean he could be at the beach working on his tan or interviewing for summer internships. The same can be said for all the walk-ons. I love it when Cut and his staff find ways to get these guys into real games, even if it's only for a play or two. They've earned it.

Is reunion weekend the best day for this?

I was able to watch from the press box. Those of you who sat in the sun field and glared into Ol Sol for three hours have my sympathy.

Some of us veteran fans joined other uninvited guests in the President's Box where there was some shade, a spring breeze and good company.:cool: The Alumni Box seemed to be filled, too.

As you know, prior to Coach Cutcliffe's arrival, the spring scrimmage was part of the reunion weekend entertainment, lightly attended, but appreciated by oldsters who remembered when Duke football was ranked nationally.

The Reunion activities limited parking available, but did bring a few folks in. Many popped in and popped out as they ran the table on afternoon activities before getting ready for the Gala. As we drove out, people were already walking up for the beginning of the Gala. They weren't sunburned and appeared rested and ready for a heady evening under the big tent.

Because of the Reunion activities in the Card Gym Lot, the tailgate tents were strategically placed in front of the south entrance of Cameron and the North Gate of Wallace Wade, adding to the game day atmosphere. We were near the Murray Building with a view of the scoreboard videos which added to the afternoon festivities. It was rather special to turn one way and see the likeness of Coach Murray and turn another way and see Wallace Wade.

loran16
04-15-2013, 12:12 PM

The pistol being gone is the most notable thing to me - curious if that's the case for the season. It's one thing to switch your offensive style, it's another thing to throw away the old one entirely. Pistol was a huge part of our O last year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-15-2013, 12:19 PM
The pistol being gone is the most notable thing to me - curious if that's the case for the season. It's one thing to switch your offensive style, it's another thing to throw away the old one entirely. Pistol was a huge part of our O last year.

The offense was matched to our talent at the time. The recently recruited QBs more nearly match the emerging prototype of QB in the NFL. Coach Cutcliffe has remarked about being able to make this change in style of offense because of successful recruiting of a different type of QB. He's also targeted TEs who fit the new TE of the NFL.... think Jimmy Graham for example.

loran16
04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
The offense was matched to our talent at the time. The recently recruited QBs more nearly match the emerging prototype of QB in the NFL. Coach Cutcliffe has remarked about being able to make this change in style of offense because of successful recruiting of a different type of QB. He's also targeted TEs who fit the new TE of the NFL.... think Jimmy Graham for example.

I understand WHY they'd do it. But it's truly unusual to go through with it all the way.

Bob Green
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Here are four thoughts from Laura Keeley on Spring Game:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-football-spring-practice

1. ••• There are shades of Conner Vernon in Max McCaffrey
2. ••• Braxton Deaver’s presence at tight end will aid the offense
3. ••• There is more depth on the offensive line
4. ••• Big plays remain an issue for the defense

Acymetric
04-18-2013, 05:37 PM
The bit about Nick Sink was surprising.

Newton_14
04-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I understand WHY they'd do it. But it's truly unusual to go through with it all the way.

Seems to me Coach Cut has learned a thing or two from the Master (K) having been around him these past few years, and is "adapting his system to the talent available to him year over year". I see that as a good thing. I have no doubt we will move the football and score points. Boone is going to be a fine QB who can both run and throw. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense and allows for first downs via the scramble when passing plays go awry.

My main concern will continue to be defense. We have to find a way to stop the opposing offense's and get the defense off the field, while also reducing the amount of big plays that continually burn us.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Seems to me Coach Cut has learned a thing or two from the Master (K) having been around him these past few years, and is "adapting his system to the talent available to him year over year". I see that as a good thing. I have no doubt we will move the football and score points. Boone is going to be a fine QB who can both run and throw. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense and allows for first downs via the scramble when passing plays go awry.

My main concern will continue to be defense. We have to find a way to stop the opposing offense's and get the defense off the field, while also reducing the amount of big plays that continually burn us.

I beg to differ. Coach Cutcliffe been adapting his system to the talent available from Day One. He was very open and discussed that point pretty directly the first year or so.

You may recall early discussions about the expansive and extensive playbook he brought with him and what a how limited amount of it could be learned the first year. Now the playbook is electronic and there are fewer discussions about how much of it our players have learned and can use.

A key change has been the continued upgrading of talent, especially when viewed in terms of strength, speed and size. Coach Cutcliffe and his staff have been carefully and thoughtfully adapting their selection of recruits to include those who fit the emerging trends in football as well as bringing better and better skills and talent to fill holes in the depth chart.

Defenses seem to take longer to build, but we're getting there despite the injuries and the difficulty in creating the depth we need.

The spring semester is winding down, but I can tell you first hand that the work goes on at the Yoh. It's more quiet than it will be in August, but the work continues.;)