PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Sirk out for the year

Bob Green
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Redshirt freshman QB Thomas Sirk underwent surgery for a torn Achilles tendon and is out for the season. Oh boy, it is never too soon for a serious injury when it comes to Duke football.

EDIT: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-backup-qb-thomas-sirk-sidelined-indefinitely#wgt=rss

arnie
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Redshirt freshman QB Thomas Sirk underwent surgery for a torn Achilles tendon and is out for the season. Oh boy, it is never too soon for a serious injury when it comes to Duke football.

EDIT: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-backup-qb-thomas-sirk-sidelined-indefinitely#wgt=rss

Some things never change. Duke football is one of those.

Newton_14
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
As I said recently, we really need to drop the "Duke Curse" nonsense. The real Duke curse is injuries to our basketball and football players and we really need to break this freaking curse soon!

loran16
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
So much for the QB competition.

dukelifer
04-10-2013, 09:05 PM

Not good news. One healthy quarterback makes for a fragile season.

Acymetric
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
So disappointing...had a friend who tore his achilles (soccer player) and its a tough recovery. Certainly pulling for a full recovery, Thomas has shown a lot of promise.

Merlindevildog91
04-10-2013, 09:59 PM
So what do we do for a backup? It was my understanding that Sirk was the backup/would fight Boone for the starter's job, with Connette coming in on special situations, and Parker Boehme would redshirt. Are we down to two QBs unless Sirk gets some of Ray Lewis' deer antler spray and miraculously heals and is in game shape by the fall?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2013, 10:07 PM
So what do we do for a backup? It was my understanding that Sirk was the backup/would fight Boone for the starter's job, with Connette coming in on special situations, and Parker Boehme would redshirt. Are we down to two QBs unless Sirk gets some of Ray Lewis' deer antler spray and miraculously heals and is in game shape by the fall?

In all likelihood it means that Connette will be the backup quarterback next season (assuming he gets healthy and recovers from his earlier injury/surgery) and as such won't be used as a rover as he was this year - can't have your backup QB getting hurt catching passes. Other option is that Boehme is healthy/recovered and he is the primary backup quarterback, giving up his redshirt (freshman) year. Hopefully Sirk will get a 6th year of eligibility in 5 years due to the injury, like Kenny Anunike is getting next fall. That would free up a healthy Connette to resume his expected duties.

All in all, FSD. :mad:

DukeSean
04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
geez that's pretty awful news. On the plus side, at least now we can bank on Connette not playing a snap at safety...

airowe
04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
In all likelihood it means that Connette will be the backup quarterback next season (assuming he gets healthy and recovers from his earlier injury/surgery) and as such won't be used as a rover as he was this year - can't have your backup QB getting hurt catching passes. Other option is that Boehme is healthy/recovered and he is the primary backup quarterback, giving up his redshirt (freshman) year. Hopefully Sirk will get a 6th year of eligibility in 5 years due to the injury, like Kenny Anunike is getting next fall. That would free up a healthy Connette to resume his expected duties.

Don't forget about Quay Chambers as well. He played QB in high school. Not sure how quickly he can pick up the Duke offense though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSohCPmeUD0

Still a tough break all around. Boone was in no danger of losing his job based on what I saw at the last scrimmage, but as we saw last year you can never count on a full healthy season from your quarterback.

Olympic Fan
04-11-2013, 12:17 AM

I'm sure that Duke will apply for a sixth year for Sirk, but it's very VERY unlikely to get one.

Anunike got a sixth year because he missed TWO years with injury. Players who voluntarily redshirt and then are injured very rarely get a sixth year. This came up with Braxton Deaver, who took a redshirt year, then later missed a year with an injury.

This really does hurt our QB depth and the plans to use more of a zone option read. Without Sirk, there are repercussions all down the line ... yes, it's harder to risk Connette as a slot receiver when he's the backup QB ... you can't run Boone as much because he's your only real QB ... Boehme might help, but he's missed all spring recovering from an injury -- it's unlikely he's ready to be a successful QB ... Quay Chambers may have to play QB, which subtracts a great athlete from WR or DB.

All in all, terrible news.

chrishoke
04-11-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm sure that Duke will apply for a sixth year for Sirk, but it's very VERY unlikely to get one.

Anunike got a sixth year because he missed TWO years with injury. Players who voluntarily redshirt and then are injured very rarely get a sixth year. This came up with Braxton Deaver, who took a redshirt year, then later missed a year with an injury.

This really does hurt our QB depth and the plans to use more of a zone option read. Without Sirk, there are repercussions all down the line ... yes, it's harder to risk Connette as a slot receiver when he's the backup QB ... you can't run Boone as much because he's your only real QB ... Boehme might help, but he's missed all spring recovering from an injury -- it's unlikely he's ready to be a successful QB ... Quay Chambers may have to play QB, which subtracts a great athlete from WR or DB.

All in all, terrible news.

Good summary. I would add that there is a fair chance that Sirk may never be the same - this is a very serious injury. Here's wishing him all the best.

jimsumner
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Some things never change. Duke football is one of those.

I have no earthly idea what this means. Duke football has changed a lot over the last few years. For the better.

Olympic Fan
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I have no earthly idea what this means. Duke football has changed a lot over the last few years. For the better.

Good point, Jim ... and the changes aren't just recent.

From 1930-1965 Duke was one of the premier programs in the country and was clearly the best in the ACC.

From 1965-1994, Duke had some ups and downs but was a slightly below average major college program overall in that span

From 1995-2008 Duke was perhaps the worst BCS program in the country and one of the worst in Division 1-A

Since Cut's arrival, Duke has improved to the point where it is overall a below average BCS program -- no longer anywhere near the worst in 1-A.

Hopefully, it won't be long before Duke is an above average BCS program

To me, that's a lot of changes.

Acymetric
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM

It seems to be a fairly common sentiment (at least among people I know) that we seem to have an awful lot of injuries, particularly in the offseason. I would guess that is what they are talking about here...don't necessarily disagree although I also don't know if data backs up that our team (or at least key players) are getting hurt more lately. Didn't sound like a comment on the program itself to me.

jimsumner
04-11-2013, 06:15 PM
It seems to be a fairly common sentiment (at least among people I know) that we seem to have an awful lot of injuries, particularly in the offseason. I would guess that is what they are talking about here...don't necessarily disagree although I also don't know if data backs up that our team (or at least key players) are getting hurt more lately. Didn't sound like a comment on the program itself to me.

So, you're suggesting that "Some things never change. Duke football is one of those" wasn't actually about Duke football?

Curious.

Yes, Duke football does have a lot of injuries. As is the case with every other football team on the planet.

Sucks for Sirk, sucks for Duke. I've heard lots of good things about Sirk and was really looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table. Now, we'll have to wait.

But my goodness, can we lose the persecution complex? Remember what happened to Maryland football last season? Or FSU when Manuel went down?

I wish no one ever got hurt or got sick or struggled academically. But it happens and it happens a lot and that's why it is so important to build depth and flexibilty so that you can roll with the punches. Because you are going to get punched.

Wander
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
So, you're suggesting that "Some things never change. Duke football is one of those" wasn't actually about Duke football?

Yes, it seemed very clear in context that the comment was about injuries and not about the overall state of the program...

I have no idea if it's true or not that Duke has had worse injury luck the past few years than your average team. Might be interesting to look at. I will say that one important factor is not the sheer number of injuries but whether or not the injuries stack up at one position - like Maryland quarterbacks or Duke defensive backs.

Bob Green
04-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes, it seemed very clear in context that the comment was about injuries and not about the overall state of the program...

I disagree. The original comment seemed very clear to be about the program. The program is working very hard to dig itself out of a big hole. Tangible progress, such as last year's trip to the Belk Bowl, is being made. Building depth is still a work in progress. This injury sucks for Thomas Sirk so Parker Boehme needs to step up as a viable option his true freshman year.

Deep Chart: Anthony Boone, Brandon Connette, Parker Boehme. We are still in good shape.

Greg_Newton
04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
It definitely hurts the program this year and beyond - not sure what it means for the read-option focus we've working all spring to implement - but your just breaks for the kid, too.

Such a promising prospect earlier this week, and now it would be a shock, IMO, if he's ever the same. Even if you do come back from a ruptured achilles, you don't come back all the way. Here's hoping he has a great recovery, learns the nuances of the offense in his off-time, bulks up, and returns as a different, but effective QB in 2014.

In the meantime, does anyone know if the immediately-eligible-RS-JR-transfer rule also applies in football? That could be an interesting option for this year, if so.

Duvall
04-11-2013, 07:04 PM
In the meantime, does anyone know if the immediately-eligible-RS-JR-transfer rule also applies in football? That could be an interesting option for this year, if so.

It does. Former Maryland quarterback Danny O'Brien used it to transfer to Wisconsin after his redshirt sophomore season without sitting out (he graduated early).

Greg_Newton
04-11-2013, 08:06 PM
It does. Former Maryland quarterback Danny O'Brien used it to transfer to Wisconsin after his redshirt sophomore season without sitting out (he graduated early).

Ah, right, and of course, someone named Russell Wilson. Even Greg Paulus, sort of.

In that case, I really hope we pursue a dual-threat QB in that vein. It would be huge to have another service option in the depth chart, especially if we're going ahead with the read-option.