PDA

View Full Version : Which set of brothers would win playing two-on-two

UrinalCake
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Now that Cody Zeller has declared, we will soon have a number of Duke- and UNC-related tandems in the NBA. Who would win? The intriguing team to me is the Currys. None of the others could guard them, but conversely they couldn't stop anyone.

Duvall
04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Now that Cody Zeller has declared, we will soon have a number of Duke- and UNC-related tandems in the NBA. Who would win? The intriguing team to me is the Currys. None of the others could guard them, but conversely they couldn't stop anyone.

Maybe the Hansbroughs, as a G-F pairing? Is there another balanced set?

NashvilleDevil
04-10-2013, 12:07 PM

If there is no refs the Hansbroughs lose in the first round.

sporthenry
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM

I went with the Zellers. Why do you need balance in a 2 man game. I think both Mason or Cody could cover Ben good enough and with that size advantage, they'll rebound everything and just abuse Ben on the block. It comes down to MP2/MP1 versus the Zellers and I think Cody is better with the ball in his hand than Mason is and Tyler is better than Miles.

UrinalCake
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
I also went with the Zellers. Tyler Hansbrough doesn't play defense and his whole "I've got a motor that doesn't stop" schtick wouldn't fly in this sort of street ball environment (which is entirely fictional to begin with). If you allowed any of the big guy tandems to add a guard, say Steve Nash, with his clone playing for the other team, then I might take the Plumlees.

TruBlu
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
If there is no refs the Hansbroughs lose in the first round.

Or if there are refs, and they actually call traveling, they also lose in the first round.

Dev11
04-10-2013, 12:19 PM
If this is a full court game, the Plumlees and the Zellers are going to get murdered having to dribble. The Currys can't rebound, so that leaves the Hansboroughs with no obvious flaws other than their faces.

Ben1029
04-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Is a requirement that both brothers played basketball in college/NBA? If not, I think a team with one stud such as Jordan, Lebron, Kobe and one of their brothers(if they had one) could be pretty good.

UrinalCake
04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
If this is a full court game, the Plumlees and the Zellers are going to get murdered having to dribble. The Currys can't rebound, so that leaves the Hansboroughs with no obvious flaws other than their faces.

That is hilarious. I think the Currys win if it's full court. Offensively they'd blow by any of their defenders, and defensively they'd get enough steals and turnovers to offset their complete inability to stop anything inside. Plus tack on the two points that Tyler Zeller would score for them.

UrinalCake
04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Is a requirement that both brothers played basketball in college/NBA? If not, I think a team with one stud such as Jordan, Lebron, Kobe and one of their brothers(if they had one) could be pretty good.

I heard a story about the second or third Dream Team, that they would play full court one-on-one in practice. Kevin Garnett would usually win. Which makes sense, as you need a combination of size plus the ability to dribble down the court. Although if it were played today I'd have to put my money on LeBron.

CDu
04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
I would take the Curry brothers or the Hansbroughs. In that matchup, it would probably depend on who got the ball for more possessions, because neither Curry could guard Tyler and neither Hansbrough could guard Steph. The Zellers and the Plumlees would lose by virtue of lack of quickness and lack of ballhandling (and in the Plumlee's case, lack of shooting).

I think I'd take the Hansbroughs for being the only duo with a guard and a big man. And I think Ben could guard some of the bigs on top of that (a very physical guard).

jv001
04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Heck, I'm taking the Currys as they won't miss a shot. I just can't make myself pick a travelbrough and the Plumlees would be in big trouble against the Currys but could hold their own against tyler and Ben. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
If it's make-it-take-it, Currys in a wash.

21 taps, I take Plumlees.

Dev11
04-10-2013, 01:13 PM
21 taps, I take Plumlees.

I always said that I would have loved to watch a game of 21 between all three Plumlees. There would be so much blood and dunking.

luburch
04-10-2013, 01:14 PM

I would trust Cody Zeller to handle the ball before I would trust Tyler Hansbrough. I realize Ben is a guard, but he would get abused.

rsvman
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
That is hilarious. I think the Currys win if it's full court. Offensively they'd blow by any of their defenders, and defensively they'd get enough steals and turnovers to offset their complete inability to stop anything inside. Plus tack on the two points that Tyler Zeller would score for them.

Literally laughing out loud! That is awesome.

Ichabod Drain
04-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Do the Plumlees get so sub Marshall, or the Zellers Luke?

Full court Mason shows his coast to coast skills and it's Plumlee and Plumlee Dunkin Company all day long!

nocilla
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
How about we combine the brother tandems and play a 3-on-3 game? Or even 5-on-5 if we add Marshall and Luke?

Currys and Plumlees vs Zellers and Hansbros!

UrinalCake
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Throw John and Amber Henson into the mix too. And Jason and Jeff Capel.

Son of Jarhead
04-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Ok, 5-on-5, with quality refs, and limited to players from recent years... ACC brothers vs. their non-ACC brothers. That would be w/o any Plumlees since they all came to Duke, so who is the fifth with these four? ...Curry, Zeller, Hanstravel, Singler... & who wins? I'd say the ACC. And maybe the fifth could be the Murphy brothers.

Son of Jarhead
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Oh, and I voted the Curry brothers. Trading 3's for 2's puts any match up in their favor.

Jim3k
04-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Ok, ... limited to players from recent years...

I bet BuschDevil is thinking Van Arsdale twins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Van_Arsdale) -- Tom and Dick. We don't usually give them much thought, being Indiana grads and off the court since 1977. But these guys walked the walk. Twelve NBA seasons. 'Course now that they are 70, they may have lost a step. ;) I'm betting they are still rough and tough. In their prime, despite being only 6-5, they gave as good as they got, no matter who they matched up against. Certainly Tom could face down anyone, even against a size disadvantage.

Son of Jarhead
04-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I bet BuschDevil is thinking Van Arsdale twins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Van_Arsdale) -- Tom and Dick. We don't usually give them much thought, being Indiana grads and off the court since 1977. But these guys walked the walk. Twelve NBA seasons. 'Course now that they are 70, they may have lost a step. ;) I'm betting they are still rough and tough. In their prime, despite being only 6-5, they gave as good as they got, no matter who they matched up against. Certainly Tom could face down anyone, even against a size disadvantage.

I think Tom's trading card might be in my old (& small) collection, buried in a box around here somewhere. But, no, I wasn't thinking of them, forgot about them completely. How about Horace & Harvey Grant? Horace played at Clemson. Harvey started there, but ended up at Oklahoma. 17 & 11 NBA seasons resepectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Grant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Grant

theAlaskanBear
04-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I think Tom's trading card might be in my old (& small) collection, buried in a box around here somewhere. But, no, I wasn't thinking of them, forgot about them completely. How about Horace & Harvey Grant? Horace played at Clemson. Harvey started there, but ended up at Oklahoma. 17 & 11 NBA seasons resepectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Grant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Grant

What about Rick and Jon Barry? They can both handle the ball, versatile players, Rick is tall enough to guard the bigs, both good shooters, create matchup problems. Oregon State and Georgia Tech.

Edouble
04-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Steph's talent level is a big notch above anyone else's on the list, so the Currys take it.

DevilHorse
04-12-2013, 07:18 AM
How does this work? Are there substitutions in a full court 2 on 2 game? I was always intrigued by the Jones brothers from Albany State, GA (not University at Albany in NY). It always seemed like there was another Jones brother coming from Albany State into the NBA back in the '70s and '80s.

Caldwell Jones played with Dr. J (played for 17 years in the NBA); Wilbert played for the Indiana Pacers; Major Jones played 5 seasons in the NBA; Charles had 15 seasons in the NBA. 6 Jones brothers played at Albany State. 5 on 5 anyone?

Larry
DevilHorse

TruBlu
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
No one has brought up the Singlers yet???

And for the sake of this thread, can we consider Johnny and Andre Dawkins?

And then there is the badass seperated-at-birth brothers of Nate James and Jordan Davidson . . . but that just wouldn't be fair, would it?

ScreechTDX1847
04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
The best player is Steph Curry. With only four people on the floor that makes all the difference.

rsvman
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Patterson could take any of 'em one on two.

UrinalCake
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Steph's talent level is a big notch above anyone else's on the list, so the Currys take it.

The best player is Steph Curry. With only four people on the floor that makes all the difference.

An excellent point - of all the players in the poll, Steph is currently the only bona fide NBA star. In a full court game I think he'd be unstoppable. The other tandems would have a lot of trouble getting the ball down the court against the two guards.

And yes, the Singlers were a huge omission on my part. Kyle's versatility would be a huge asset and he'd be a tough guard for any of the other guys.

NashvilleDevil
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Bernard and Albert King would destroy all comers. Only comp would probably be Gerald and Dominique Wilkins.