PDA

View Full Version : 2013 National Champion: Louisville

Chris Randolph
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Who ya got and why? Tough call for me. Michigan shredded VCU's pressure defense so we know they can handle it. I think the Cards will get enough stops and hurt Michigan on the boards. Cards 74-71

Newton_14
04-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I always prefer veterans over rookies, especially when talent is similar. With that, I think Louisville wins Monday evening. Should be a great game though, and Michigan certainly can win it given how they are playing.

Louisville 77 Michigan 75

uh_no
04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
I always prefer veterans over rookies, especially when talent is similar. With that, I think Louisville wins Monday evening. Should be a great game though, and Michigan certainly can win it given how they are playing.

Louisville 77 Michigan 75

i'm pulling for UL....that way we can still say that we were the second best team in the land!

Newton_14
04-07-2013, 10:09 PM
i'm pulling for UL....that way we can still say that we were the second best team in the land!

Same here. If you have to lose I prefer losing to the champ.

Cameron
04-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I will not be cheering for Louisville. The way they have literally pushed and shoved their way to the championship game is not my definition of pressure defense. It's battery.

I also do not want the Big Ten to win.

pfrduke
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
I will not be cheering for Louisville. The way they have literally pushed and shoved their way to the championship game is not my definition of pressure defense. It's battery.

I will be cheering for bourbon. It will be helping to get me through the game, as well as the long, lonely seven months until college basketball returns.

FerryFor50
04-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I'll be watching baseball. I stopped caring about the tournament when Duke lost.

jmck214
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I will be pulling for Michigan only because I will win my bracket and $800. I am starting to hate Michigan just because they seem to hate us more so then other programs not named UNC or Kentucky. Louisville fans seem to have a little admiration for the Duke program and I am sure a lot of them really enjoyed watching Nolan's career. I also agree with the notion if your gonna lose in the tourney you mine as well lose to the eventual champion. Lets us say we were the second best team, had another 30 win season, swept UNC, and went 1-1 vs the Natl champion. Not a bad season. Would love a rubber match vs Louisville

NashvilleDevil
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I will be cheering for bourbon. It will be helping to get me through the game, as well as the long, lonely seven months until college basketball returns.

Which bourbon? 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Bulleit? Bourbon is a Kentucky thing so you are rooting for Louisville?

Billy Dat
04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Go Cards....I have had a serious dislike for Michigan since the rivalry was hot in the early to mid 90s.

Papa John
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM

...an outage that extends so long that everyone just loses interest and goes home while Pitino and Beilein go best-of-seven in rock-paper-scissors to determine this year's champ?

That would be cool... But barring a mythical, non-disastrous scenario in which neither team wins, I'll have to throw my hat in the ring for our soon-to-be conference mates from Louisville...

Mike Corey
04-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Here's hoping Louisville's '86 championship has something in common with its 2013 championship: The Road must go through Duke.

Dieng can slow Mitch down low, and alter the Wolverines' backcourt once they get into the lane.

The Cards' pressure can disrupt the young M*chiganders all over the floor.

And Rick Pitino's squad won't take the Wolverines lightly after inching past Wichita State.

Billy Dat
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
...an outage that extends so long that everyone just loses interest and goes home while Pitino and Beilein go best-of-seven in rock-paper-scissors to determine this year's champ?

That would be cool... But barring a mythical, non-disastrous scenario in which neither team wins, I'll have to throw my hat in the ring for our soon-to-be conference mates from Louisville...

Forget "Rock, Paper, Scissors"...I think the two coaches should endure a multi-round, reality TV inspired competition testing every aspect of mind and body.
Round 1 - Jeopardy
Round 2 - Wipeout!
Round 3 - American Idol
Round 4 - Chopped!
Round 5 - The Bachelor
Final Round - The Price is Right Showcase Showdown

weezie
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Blech....I won't be glued to the tube, I have plenty of closets to clean out. I'll keep half an eye on the game.
I guess Looville, if only because, having grown up in MI, the wolverine is insufferable when it wins anything.
Ugh, go cardinal birdie.

CLW
04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
pulling for the Cards. they beat us handily and fair and square using their severely injured teammate as fuel for their fire.

honestly i don't have anything against this year's Michigan club but all of the Fab 5 coming back out of the wood work again to talk about how great they were (despite never winning a single championship conference or national all the while in route to ruining a basketball program) makes it hard to root/cheer for UM.

pfrduke
04-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Which bourbon? 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Bulleit? Bourbon is a Kentucky thing so you are rooting for Louisville?

Currently on the shelf is Elmer T. Lee, Black Maple Hill, and Noah's Mill. I think for tonight it will be the Elmer T.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
If McGary can get Dieng in foul trouble- that could be the ball game. McGary has become a force of late and is very confident right now. I am not sure Dieng is disciplined enough to stop him without fouling- well both will be amped up. Anyway- that battle is the difference. Michigan lets teams get to the rim- but they can outscore most clubs. The guards on both teams are excellent in their own ways. So it really comes down to who gets the big guys out of the game first. It is just amazing how Michigan responded after getting a second life against Kansas.

BTW- McGary needs to go pro now- his upside will never be higher.

1 24 90
04-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Interesting fact: (someone may have previously mentioned this on another thread or else I saw it on TV)

Coack K, Dean Smith & John Wooden all won their 2nd national titles against Michigan and that is what Pitino is trying to do tonight in addition to trying to become the first coach to win national titles at 2 different schools. Imagine if he didn't go to the NBA what his coaching achievements would be.

superdave
04-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I do not like Louisville or Pitino. But I like Michigan less, partly because of their past teams and partly because McGary spurned us.

I'll be cheering for a close finish and wont get upset by anything that may happen.

I do wonder who will be the best player on the floor? Russ or Trey? Russ has had an incredible run this post-season.

pfrduke
04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I do wonder who will be the best player on the floor? Russ or Trey? Russ has had an incredible run this post-season.

This is as good a place as any to make this observation, but Russ Smith's growth from last season to this one has been really impressive. In 2012, he was an extremely inefficient player. Yes, he scored a bunch, but he missed a ton of shots, struggled some to get to the line, and was more turnover happy. 2012 Russ Smith shot 37.9% from 2, 30.6% from 3, 74.4% from the line, shot 144 free throws against 419 fg attempts, and turned the ball over about 1 of every 5 possessions he used.

Every single one of those numbers is better this season. 46.5% from 2, 33.3% from 3, 80.6% at the line, shooting 273 free throws against 544 fg attempts, and turned the ball over just once out of every 6 possessions he used. He took 123 more shots from the field and made 80 more than last season, while also getting to the line essentially twice as often. He's one of only 2-3 guards in the country in the top 20 of fouls drawn per 40 minutes, and given the minutes and number of games he's played, it's possible that no single player in college basketball was fouled more than Russ Smith. His season is a big testament to an off-season of growth and hard work.

Papa John
04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Forget "Rock, Paper, Scissors"...I think the two coaches should endure a multi-round, reality TV inspired competition testing every aspect of mind and body.
Round 1 - Jeopardy
Round 2 - Wipeout!
Round 3 - American Idol
Round 4 - Chopped!
Round 5 - The Bachelor
Final Round - The Price is Right Showcase Showdown

I like where you're going with the idea here, but we need to rethink the competitions... Let's limit it to the best of the worst in reality television... Wipeout can stay, and I think Fear Factor must be added... Survivor is another one to consider--no doubt Pitino would be at a disadvantage here, clearly in danger of being voted off the island... Or they could just roll the dice to determine the final round...

scottdude8
04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
So psyched for the game tonight. I was raised as a diehard Michigan fan, and now the Wolverines are my No. 2 behind Duke, especially since I'm back in Ann Arbor for grad school. The campus is electric: there are already lines outside the popular bars to watch the game. It's so cool to see people psyched about basketball here, considering I was raised in the dark ages of Brian Ellerbe.

LETS GO BLUE.

duke96
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
For me, easy to favor Louiville. They beat us fair and square, as was said, and they seem to respect our program which was also said. Better to lose to the champ.

I would be pulling for Louisville in any case but all the more so because Michigan fans I know have become so annoying. Chests puffed up and talking smack. Of course, I have had to remind them how long it has been since they went to a final four (and even longer since they "officially" did), how many years they went without making the tournament, etc. So far my favorite response is "Oh I didn't know you were a Michigan basketball fan, I haven't heard you talk much about that before this year." And then of course there is Jalen Rose.

Go Cards!

gofurman
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I do not like Louisville or Pitino. But I like Michigan less, partly because of their past teams and partly because McGary spurned us.

I'll be cheering for a close finish and wont get upset by anything that may happen.

cheer for Louisville - future ACC team (meaning in two years or so the ACC had tow of this year's final four); plus we only lost bc we had to play the champ in elite eight. No one else could dispatch us from the tourney

For what it is worth - I want to see us get a guy like Russ - someone who is a one-man fast break where the D can never set up and just runs to the rim before others can set up. I really dont understand why we dont push this idea more. Seems pretty easy to do , if you are even moderately quick just go and if only one or two defenders are back just be aggressive and head to the rim. Someone backpedaling has real trouble with someone in control moving forwards. Simple physics. Just requires a little body control. You dont have to be a 10/10 speedster to be like Russ, just an 8 or so and have the mindset "you are going to have to stop me bc I am coming hard". Duke has had GREAT PGs but I dont recall many able to push it one v one that hard? Even Jay Williams etc were more "half-court deadly" on the pick and roll,etc. Help me here - who were the last guys we had who would go rim to rim often?

--Side note - Cook needs to be much more aggresive on the pick and roll to drive to the rim to make it work. Watching Louisville, they constantly went around the corner of our pick and then (again, same mindset as above) turned the corner and drove to the rim. Stay aggressive and either get a layup or dish for a three. Cook has the speed, dont settle for the jumper - DRIVE and force the d to collapse. Its the basis of breaking down a d I thought.

NashvilleDevil
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Duke has had GREAT PGs but I dont recall many able to push it one v one that hard? Even Jay Williams etc were more "half-court deadly" on the pick and roll,etc. Help me here - who were the last guys we had who would go rim to rim often?

Kyrie Irving

DukeWarhead
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Want to see Louisville take it just for the effect it will surely have on UK fans. Nothing like seeing your former coach hoist the trophy with your cross state rivals to deflate the in-state superiority complex and put an exclamation mark on a real turd of a season. Go Cards.

Atlanta Duke
04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Interesting fact: (someone may have previously mentioned this on another thread or else I saw it on TV)

Coack K, Dean Smith & John Wooden all won their 2nd national titles against Michigan and that is what Pitino is trying to do tonight in addition to trying to become the first coach to win national titles at 2 different schools.

Indeed :)

He won the NCAA title with Kentucky in 1996 and can become the first college basketball coach in history to win national championships at two different colleges. (Neither Wooden, Knight nor Krzyzewski did it; though insofar as we know, none of them engaged in coitus on a restaurant floor).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130408/louisville-michigan-ncaa-title-game/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

Tjenkins
04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Seriously, I can't recall someone wanting to celebrate an anniversary of a loss with so much enthusiasm. Never. I'm not very superstitious, I don't believe in jinxes or anything like that. But I don't see the Fab Five as a good thing for the Wolverines playing in the game tonight.

What would Rose say to them? "Go out & lose like we did in '92 and '93"? "Get blown out by 20 or blow a chance to tie in the waning seconds"? I think this whole "reunion" idea is just Rose looking for attention and/or a book deal, something like that.

BD80
04-08-2013, 05:37 PM
... I guess Looville, if only because, having grown up in MI, the wolverine is insufferable when it wins anything. ...

Its Luuuuhiville

The wolverine is pretty much insufferable either way, its just so much worse when it wins

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Its Luuuuhiville

The wolverine is pretty much insufferable either way, its just so much worse when it wins

actually it is looavul, or you can get real south end and drop the "a" for a gutteral loovul.

either way, it's the cards by twelve, going away. and i already have the animals and automobiles under roof for safe keeping.

TNDukeFan
04-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Put me in the 'it's because of my bracket' group. If Michigan wins, I do, even though I chose Miami as champ.

I think Michigan wins or not according to their Ryan Kelly -- ie, whoever they have in the swing spot in breaking the press. Hardaway et al looked a little shaky at the end against Syracuse -- if they can handle the press, McGary and Burke can deliver a win, IMO.

jmck214
04-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Want to see Louisville take it just for the effect it will surely have on UK fans. Nothing like seeing your former coach hoist the trophy with your cross state rivals to deflate the in-state superiority complex and put an exclamation mark on a real turd of a season. Go Cards.

to make matters worse for UK fans they had to watch Louisville win the first two rounds in Lexington and then they had to root for Louisville or Duke in the Elite Eight

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
y'all have a real twisted view of rivalry. here in the commonwealth, if we aren't playing each other, we root for each other. i don't know a uk fan that has not been cheering for the cards this whole tournament.

when was the last time duke bowed out early and y'all cheered for unc chapel hill?

it's sports, not war, y'all, damn....

blazindw
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I was born outside Ann Arbor and Michigan was my first love. I watched college basketball a lot growing up...the '89 Michigan team was the team that introduced me to the tournament but the Fab 5 was when I fell in love with college basketball. I even was trained to go to Michigan...a lovely envelope with a return address of Durham, NC 27708 that came about this time in 2000 changed all that.

I'll be wearing maize and blue tonight and hoping that Michigan can bring home its first title since 1989. I know they're ready, and I want my friends to experience what I've been so proud to experience twice since I became a student in the Gothic Wonderland.

FerryFor50
04-08-2013, 07:28 PM
y'all have a real twisted view of rivalry. here in the commonwealth, if we aren't playing each other, we root for each other. i don't know a uk fan that has not been cheering for the cards this whole tournament.

when was the last time duke bowed out early and y'all cheered for unc chapel hill?

How many Kentucky fans would pull for Duke in the same situation? I doubt very many Lville or Mich fans would be pulling for Duke either.

We don't pull for UNC ever because their fans are insufferable and like to remind us often when they win a natty.

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
How many Kentucky fans would pull for Duke in the same situation? I doubt very many Lville or Mich fans would be pulling for Duke either.

We don't pull for UNC ever because their fans are insufferable and like to remind us often when they win a natty.

oh you are right on, uk fans will never pull for duke unless they are like me and fall in love with a dukie, travel to durham, experience cameron, read "Leading With The Heart", and learn to love college basketball all over again.

so yeah, it's just me...

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 08:22 PM

Sorry Ken, but no way I am buying that. I believe you are pulling for Louisville but you are an exception to the rule (thus the Duke love). There is no way UK Nation is pulling for them tonight though. Were it UK vs UNC I would be pulling hard for the Cats to blow the Heels off the floor.

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
no it is true, every uk fan i know is rooting for the cards tonight, even the ones i ran into today sporting their last year's nc caps, they are all rooting for the cards.

there is not a lot of hate in basketball's national capital tonight. or tomorrow.

BD80
04-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Amen. It's not war, its personal

weezie
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Interesting fact:
Coack K, Dean Smith & John Wooden all won their 2nd national titles against Michigan and that is what Pitino is trying to do tonight....

I like it! wolverines as bootscrapers....I live in foxhunt country.

gofurman
04-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by gofurman

Duke has had GREAT PGs but I dont recall many able to push it one v one that hard? Even Jay Williams etc were more "half-court deadly" on the pick and roll,etc. Help me here - who were the last guys we had who would go rim to rim often?

Nashville Devil - ANswer is "Kyrie Irving "
------

touche' - I concur = Kyrie certainly fits the bill. We had him for about 10 games unfortunately... Any others since 2000 that were end-to-end dangerous like Russ is for Louisville? Again, I just dont see why this is so hard - the defender is backpedaling and off-balance, you (on offense) are in total control::: both moving forward and you know which way you will make your next move. Honestly, the defender doesn't have a chance. Cant see why this is so hard - beat one guy and if there is a tall guy waiting just use body control to go around or make him have a blocking foul

ynotme32
04-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Kyrie Irving
------

touche' - I concur = Kyrie certainly fits the bill. We had him for about 10 games unfortunately... Any others since 2000 that were end-to-end dangerous?

UNC fans would probably say Chris Duhon was "end to end" dangerous! :)

FerryFor50
04-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Kyrie Irving
------

touche' - I concur = Kyrie certainly fits the bill. We had him for about 10 games unfortunately... Any others since 2000 that were end-to-end dangerous?

Nolan Smith could go to the rack. Duhon, too. But no one with the consistency and ability of Kyrie and Jay Williams.

But ask yourself.... When was the last time L'ville had guards like Smith and Siva?

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
the smart elec in me wants to say 1986

jmck214
04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
I'll be watching the game with the 2010 championship game running on my cpu simultaneously. Makes watching the game much more enjoyable although dueling Jim Nantz's can get kind of annoying. http://vault.ncaa.com/

arnie
04-08-2013, 09:35 PM
the smart elec in me wants to say 1986

No, our problem that night was Ellison vs Bilas- total mismatch.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Michigan on fire early - playing without fear.

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 09:43 PM
411 to Louisville, GUARD THE LITTLE WHITE DUDE!

man that Spike guy is killing it from 3. 9 for 9 in the tourney after making a grand total of 7 on the year.. unreal

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I see your Tim Henderson and raise you an Albrecht

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
411 to Louisville, GUARD THE LITTLE WHITE DUDE!

man that Spike guy is killing it from 3. 9 for 9 in the tourney after making a grand total of 7 on the year.. unreal

One man wrecking crew. Michigan is unconscious now.

luburch
04-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Michigan is playing beautiful basketball.

BobbyFan
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
I want to thank Clark Kellogg for yelling each time they go to commercial break.

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 09:55 PM
For those interested, the ACC is representin with 2 refs. John Cayhill is the white hair guy calling the game. Mike Eaves is the alternate ref at the table.

Both are regular ACC refs..

Bluedog
04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
For those interested, the ACC is representin with 2 refs. John Cayhill is the white hair guy calling the game. Mike Eaves is the alternate ref at the table.

Both are regular ACC refs..

And are MUCH better than the other two ACC refs that represented in the first Final Four game...that is, Karl Hess and Les Jones (although Jones doesn't compare to Hess' terribleness, admittedly). ACC gets quality refs typically.

Entertaining game thus far. Albrecht is ON FIRE.

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
No, our problem that night was Ellison vs Bilas- total mismatch.

what! how can you blame a lame color commentator? dude, do you even watch these games?

yeah yeah, michigan is on fire, hitting every crap flame they throw up, and only up by six. the second ten minutes of the second half will define this season as it has all year...

still saying louisville by twelve, going away.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Michigan is playing beautiful basketball.

With a kid who averages 1 pt a game not missing a shot .

Gthoma2a
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
the more I realize that he may have been our biggest recruiting miss last year. I thought it was Shabazz at the time, but McGary's effort is something else. He reminds me of Josh McRoberts in his second year, with the guy from the same period who was playing down the road's motor (granted, the guy down the road mainly used it to flop). To have had him as a spark plug off the bench would have been awesome. He would have had plenty of time to develop during Ryan's injury.

_Gary
04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
The officiating is NOT good from what I've seen. Absolutely horrible. Looks like fate has picked Michigan to win. Another big time over the back offensive rebound for Michigan (a clear foul but no call) and they get two more out of it.

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 10:05 PM
I am not a Michigan fan by any stretch but I can't not pull for this Spike kid. He is killing the Cards almost by himself on offense. The 2nd foul on Burke was evidently the biggest break Michigan caught early in this game. What a performance!

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 10:05 PM
17 points in the first half for a guy averaging a point a game?!?!?! Are you kidding me? I guess guys can still improve in practise?

Duvall
04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I am not a Michigan fan by any stretch but I can't not pull for this Spike kid. He is killing the Cards almost by himself on offense. The 2nd foul on Burke was evidently the biggest break Michigan caught early in this game. What a performance!

Actually, that has me rooting for Louisville. I would hate to see a good team lose to a fluke performance.

yum dukie
Need a frame of reference. Like what is the Duke equivalent of Albrecht?
Is it if Alex Murphy went off like this?

dukelifer
the more I realize that he may have been our biggest recruiting miss last year. I thought it was Shabazz at the time, but McGary's effort is something else. He reminds me of Josh McRoberts in his second year, with the guy from the same period who was playing down the road's motor (granted, the guy down the road mainly used it to flop). To have had him as a spark plug off the bench would have been awesome. He would have had plenty of time to develop during Ryan's injury.

Who knows how he would have responded. Kid is having a great NCAA but before this he was averaging 7 points a game. Right now Albrecht looks like the best player in America

Newton_14
17 points in the first half for a guy averaging a point a game?!?!?! Are you kidding me? I guess guys can still improve in practise?

The glass slipper appears to be a perfect fit...

_Gary
04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
The Cards are getting Bootsied right now.

RoyalBlue08
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Anyone know if Spike is planning on leaving early or coming back for his sophomore year?

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Every kid is capable of this kind of night. Few have it with the world watching. Some nights you cannot miss.

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Actually, that has me rooting for Louisville. I would hate to see a good team lose to a fluke performance.

Come on Duvall, part of you has to be pulling for that kid. He hasnt missed a 3 in the entire tourney....

I am still pulling for Louisville as well but I do tip my hat to what Spike has done on the biggest stage in his life.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Anyone know if Spike is planning on leaving early or coming back for his sophomore year?

Latest draft boards updated tonight have him in the lottery.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM

Spiked!

Newton_14

Yep. They have bootsie, momentum, and I hate to admit, right now the reffing is leaning their way. Siva just got killed on a drive with no call after Hardaway pushed off badly at midcourt on the way to a score.

_Gary
Spiked!

Yep. If this holds up they'll surely coin that one.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Trey Burke is sweating on the sidelines, wondering if he gets to play in the second half and if the player of the year awards will get taken back now that people realize it was "just the system." ;)

1 24 90
04-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Hancock pulls a Dunleavy!

This game is pretty awesome so far.

Edit: Spoke too soon - he one upped Dunleavy

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Hancock pulls an Albrecht

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Battle of the role players. wow! Hancock on fire

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Hancock pulls a Dunleavy!

This game is pretty awesome so far.

Remember the game between UConn and Butler? That set the championship game back 50 years.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I figured it out... Tonight's refs must have gotten food poisoning before the game. So someone went out and grabbed an umpire, a linesman and a back judge to fill in. These guys should be wearing pads and helmets with the way this is being officiated.

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Trey Burke is sweating on the sidelines, wondering if he gets to play in the second half and if the player of the year awards will get taken back now that people realize it was "just the system." ;)

Well played sir!

So Hancock says "Wait a dang minute. I can match anything Bootsie Spike Thornton can do out here. geez"

Great half of college hoops. Hope the level of play continues in the 2nd half.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Remember the game between UConn and Butler? That set the championship game back 50 years.

This game will take back those 50 years and may advance it a few more.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
This game will take back those 50 years and may advance it a few more.

Very entertaining so far. Have no idea who is going to win this. Hancock has been the MVP by a mile should Louisville win it all. What a final four he has had.

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM
sorry, i turned off the tv for the sake of the kids.

what's the score at half time?

ha, just messing with y'all.

watch what louisville does now, just like they have done all tourney.

boom

looovul by twelve, going away

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
I am just glad we are fortunate enough that tonight just happened to be a high point in the statistical laws of cluster effect. Without that happenstance, all of those 3's made by Spike and Luke would have been bricks and the first half would have been far less entertaining. I just hope this particular cluster high lasts for the entire game. Wonder if the coaches are telling all of the players on the team to chuck up 3's while the cluster is at the high point?:cool:

sporthenry
04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
And are MUCH better than the other two ACC refs that represented in the first Final Four game...that is, Karl Hess and Les Jones (although Jones doesn't compare to Hess' terribleness, admittedly). ACC gets quality refs typically.

Entertaining game thus far. Albrecht is ON FIRE.

These refs are much better? There are some 50/50 calls that are questionable like Burke's 2nd foul or maybe even the foul on Hancock when Albrecht just lost it but they've missed a blatant goal tend, a blatant kick ball, and then have allowed several scrums and then bailed themselves out with a jump ball.

I don't watch a ton of the NBA so maybe that is my problem but I've seen more missed goal tends this tournament than I've ever seen in the NBA.

sporthenry
04-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I am just glad we are fortunate enough that tonight just happened to be a high point in the statistical laws of cluster effect. Without that happenstance, all of those 3's made by Spike and Luke would have been bricks and the first half would have been far less entertaining. I just hope this particular cluster high lasts for the entire game. Wonder if the coaches are telling all of the players on the team to chuck up 3's while the cluster is at the high point?:cool:

Thinking the same thing. NCAA lucked out a lot with these 2 guys going off b/c if not for them, this game would probably be ugly.

Duke79UNLV77
04-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Albrecht's best offer was App State before a late offer from Mich because they thought Burke was going pro. Maybe Andre Buckner.

luburch
04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Louisville does not play defense, they foul.

sbroc012
04-08-2013, 10:47 PM
In the Michigan camp now....can't stand the way Louisville plays "defense" ....and how every time a call is against them they turn to the ref and gripe like a little three year old ...that drives me nuts

snowdenscold
04-08-2013, 10:49 PM
After having to follow the entire first half via text play-by-play, I finally found an online stream! (at a hotel here in Israel and ncaa.com is blocked outside the US and my VPN connection is not working for some reason)

Let's hope the 2nd half stays exciting!

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
whats the score y'all?
i haven't checked for a while

InSpades
04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
I hate when coaches sit players w/ fouls. On occasion it's right... but sitting your all-america guard for 12 minutes because he got 2 silly fouls is not even close to one of those occasions. I didn't like it when K did it w/ Kelly against Louisville (though to his credit he brought him back w/ 2 in the 1st half, he just picked up a quick 3rd). You'll notice that Kelly ended up finishing that game w/ those same 3 fouls. You sit guys on the bench now so maybe they won't have to sit on the bench later? It just doesn't make much sense. Especially w/ a guard who is not prone to foul trouble.

There's times when it's right, and K probably had good reason to sit Kelly w/ 3. Duke's lack of depth up front meant that he *needed* to spread out Kelly's minutes if he was only going to get 15-20 of them. I'm not a believer that the last 5 minutes are any more important than the 1st 5. All the points count the same.

I'm also rooting for Michigan... Louisville's defense is borderline mugging more often than not. I could also never root for Pitino. Hopefully UM turns this around.

_Gary
04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Is it just me or do the announcers seem to be calling the game with a slight lean toward Michigan? Seems like it to me.

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 11:13 PM
mugging?!?!?!?

you are gonna love coming to the yum center. let me recommend some good immediate care sites in the vicinity...

but if you grow up and want some great restaurants in the area, let me know, we have them in spades.

it's basketball, there is a reason they call them "cagers", remember?

luburch
04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
mugging?!?!?!?

you are gonna love coming to the yum center. let me recommend some good immediate care sites in the vicinity...

but if you grow up and want some great restaurants in the area, let me know, we have them in spades.

Louisville is really a rather bland city.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
whats the score y'all?
i haven't checked for a while

Close and the stars are taking over. 2-3 point game with 8 to go.

InSpades
04-08-2013, 11:17 PM
mugging?!?!?!?

Grow up? I can assure you I am fully grown. Louisville's defense is *very* aggressive.

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 11:17 PM
mugging?!?!?!?

I have no issue with how they defend. You defend the way the game is ref'd, so it is up to the refs to call fouls if they are committed. You play the game based on the rules and how the refs call it.

Plus it aint like Michigans d isnt physical. It is. The Cards have had lots of attempts at the rim that drew contact with nothing called.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
I have no issue with how they defend. You defend the way the game is ref'd, so it is up to the refs to call fouls if they are committed. You play the game based on the rules and how the refs call it.

Wow this is a physical game

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:22 PM
This is a great game I must say

InSpades
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Awful call. What a block by Burke. He is impressive.

luburch
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Really feel like these refs want Louisville to win at this point.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:26 PM

That is 4 Pts that Michigan lost on missed calls.

_Gary
I've never seen Siva miss as many layups as he has in this game. If he'd have hit those shots at his normal ratio this game would be over by now because Louisville would be up double-digits easy.

sbroc012
Refs have let it become way too physical...its not basketball anymore

Newton_14
Wow this is a physical game

Agree. Very physical.

Also think Belien is making bad decisions this half. He rode the Spike horse too long and sat McGary too long. Spike gave you all he had in that first half and is not accustomed to heavy minutes. I think he has played him too many minutes in the 2nd half...

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 11:29 PM
This is a great game I must say

I have to agree. This has been very fun to watch. This is no UConn-Butler

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 11:29 PM

Great block.

The ol "anticipation foul", which I hate. Watch the play assuming nothing, then judge the play after the fact. No call or foul but don't decide before hand it is going to be a foul.

That play was perfect example.

BD80
04-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Albrecht's best offer was App State before a late offer from Mich because they thought Burke was going pro. Maybe Andre Buckner.

Skippy (Spike just don't fit) wasn't recruited by any decent DI out of high scgool. App State and UM came after a year of post grad prep school.

FWIW McGary had 1 maybe 2 years of prep school. It will be interesting to see what info he gets re: the draft. At 19, he almost risks the "too old for potential" label that hurt Singler if he stays in college.

sporthenry
04-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Great block.

The ol "anticipation foul", which I hate. Watch the play assuming nothing, then judge the play after the fact. No call or foul but don't decide before hand it is going to be a foul.

That play was perfect example.

To be fair, Burke did get his left arm in Siva's midsection. When you get that clean of a block like that, I probably wouldn't have called it and thought it was a bad call but it wasn't that bad upon further review.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Skippy (Spike just don't fit) wasn't recruited by any decent DI out of high scgool. App State and UM came after a year of post grad prep school.

FWIW McGary had 1 maybe 2 years of prep school. It will be interesting to see what info he gets re: the draft. At 19, he almost risks the "too old for potential" label that hurt Singler if he stays in college.

Isn't it past Albrecht's bedtime?

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM
What a shot and then a dumb foul by Smith- and then a bad pass. Smith is killing them. Wow that was an amazing foul

snowdenscold
04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
When you let your opponent have 4 shots every time they come down the floor, it's tough to come back and win. That said, still not over.

Duvall
04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Louisville doesn't just wear out opposing teams, they wear out the officials. You simply can't call all the fouls they commit.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 11:37 PM
What a tough play by Behanan. He has had an excellent game.

_Gary
04-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Nothing but foul shots for Michigan every time down. Keeping them in the game. That and Mr. Smith (whom looks like he took a pay off from a Michigan booster at this point). Some huge boneheaded plays or this one would be over by now.

sbroc012
04-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Belein holding on to enough timeouts....just in case

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:39 PM
What a tough play by Behanan. He has had an excellent game.

Owing the boards.

BD80
Louisville doesn't just wear out opposing teams, they wear out the officials. You simply can't call all the fouls they commit.

Great 3 hour commercial for Adidas athletic wear, the jerseys haven't ripped or stretched out of shape, no matter how they are tugged or pulled.

Newton_14
Louisville had the ball, a fresh shot clock, and an 8 point lead with 2:32 to go and instead of pulling it out and taking the clock under 2 minutes, they chucked up a 3... that may or may not come back to haunt them here..

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Louisville had the ball, a fresh shot clock, and an 8 point lead with 2:32 to go and instead of pulling it out and taking the clock under 2 minutes, they chucked up a 3... that may or may not come back to haunt them here..

Free throws will decide it

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Ball game. Hancock should be MVP

BD80
04-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Pretty good week for Quickie Rickie, wonder when/how the Duke curse will strike?

Duvall
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
wonder when/how the Duke curse will strike?

Why'd you have to ruin a good game by bringing up that nonsense?

Newton_14
04-08-2013, 11:49 PM

Yep. Great ball game. Congrats to Louisville on a great run and great tourney. Congrats to Hancock for the sure MVP as you state. Kid played his tail off in both Final Four games.

Feel for the Michigan kids. They had a great run but just ran into a better team with more experience. No shame there.

Easily the best title game since our game with Butler.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Louisville is relentless on D. Siva saved the day and could not be stopped but without the shooting of Hancock- Louisville would not have won.

KenTankerous
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
okay, i was wrong. it was only louisville going away by six...

#1Duke
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Good game but very poor officiating. Especially for a National Championship. Many missed calls that would have changed the complection of the game.

burnspbesq
04-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Congrats to Louisville for executing extremely well in the second half.

The larger question remains, however. Is that what we want basketball to be? Rick Pitino's philosophy of defense is far outside the spirit of the rules, and if the games were being properly officiated, his teams' play would be far outside the letter of the rules.

Rugby is not meant to be played in a 94' by 50' space.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Congrats to Louisville for executing extremely well in the second half.

The larger question remains, however. Is that what we want basketball to be? Rick Pitino's philosophy of defense is far outside the spirit of the rules, and if the games were being properly officiated, his teams' play would be far outside the letter of the rules.

Rugby is not meant to be played in a 94' by 50' space.

I am not sure what team can endure their physical play. They foul very hard and wear teams out. Add the fact that their guards are fast. Michigan played really well and was just over-powered.

brevity
04-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Congrats to Louisville. Rick Pitino promised his players he'd get a tattoo. Can anyone suggest a graphic image?

Albrecht's best offer was App State before a late offer from Mich because they thought Burke was going pro.

So Michigan steals one from Appalachian State. Karmic retribution? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game)

Belein holding on to enough timeouts....just in case

For this reason alone, I say John Beilein is Coach of the Game. He knows Michigan.

-jk
04-09-2013, 12:01 AM
I really miss the flowy game basketball can be. (Flowy - the technical term for good hoops.)

I really want to see hand checks and illegal screens called aggressively. <sigh>

-jk

g-money
04-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Easily the best title game since our game with Butler.

I agree with you on this count. BUT I also think it got away from the refs in the second half, which made it less exciting than it could have been.

It's been repeated ad nauseum around these parts, but the NCAA needs to clean up the game a la the NBA. It's impossible to get calls right when people are being thrown to the floor on every play. It makes the game a lot less fun to watch, and in this particular game, it reduced what could have been an all time great to a foul fest.

My $0.02.

dukelifer
04-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Congrats to Louisville. Rick Pitino promised his players he'd get a tattoo. Can anyone suggest a graphic image?

So Michigan steals one from Appalachian State. Karmic retribution? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game)

For this reason alone, I say John Beilein is Coach of the Game. He knows Michigan.

Tattoo of Laettner would be nice.

sporthenry
04-09-2013, 12:05 AM
I really miss the flowy game basketball can be. (Flowy - the technical term for good hoops.)

I really want to see hand checks and illegal screens called aggressively. <sigh>

-jk

Problem is that the only way to get to the more flowy game is to make it even less flowy by calling 50 fouls a game. I think the Duke/Creighton game could be described by anything but flowy and then you also have the best players off the floor which I don't think anyone really wants. The NCAA obviously recognizes something is up and Louisville had twice as many fouls as UM before intentional fouls so I don't think it was terrible. But from what I've read/heard from the head of officiating, it sounds like they will work to fix it.

Duvall
04-09-2013, 12:06 AM

Or an unguarded Grant Hill.

brevity
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM

I was thinking "graphic" as in "embarrassing and personal," but I like your 1992 idea. Maybe a phantom person defending Grant Hill on the baseline? Shoot, this might deserve its own thread...

ETA: Whoa. Duvall beat me to the punch.

dukelifer
04-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Amazing that Ware goes out - inspires his team - and Hancock gets more playing time and has the games of his life. Last season of the Big East and they will win both the Men's and Women's tourney. Sometimes you are just fighting destiny.

gofurman
04-09-2013, 12:09 AM

probably does go to Hancock but honestly I would give it so Siva all the way. Absolute relentless driving force who was the reason Hancock was open . Siva drove wtih almost complete disregard for contact and personal safety (same for Burke really).

*It is still a guards game. You cant win without great (and usually experienced and fast) gurad play. When it came down to it you had Soph Burke, Junior Hardaway,etc vs Senior Siva and Junior R. Smith. By comparison - as great as Duke was this year - we really had a first year Cook and a freshman Suilamon. I am primarily think PG when I look for experience ... FR can do it at the 3 / 4 / 5 eg Carmelo Anthony

When we won in 2010 were Scheyer and Smith both Juniors? I cant recall now but I know they were seasoned.

sporthenry
04-09-2013, 12:10 AM
I agree that Burke should have been back in there. I do think the guys are over hashing it a bit and agree with Chuck that Beilein was trying to get to half with that lead and Hancock was just so quick that it made it difficult. But a PG is a much easier position to control than a big men b/c PGs won't have the constant stress of fouling that a big does.

InSpades
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Gottlieb is terrible.

Barkley was making a point about Burke sitting for 12 minutes and it not being a bad call.

Gottlieb: "Chuck! How many fouls did he end up with? 2!"

Yeah. Um. Doug. Did you watch the game?

I agree that you don't sit your all-american player of the year point guard for 12 minutes w/ 2 fouls but you don't have to make up stats to back up your point.

dukelifer
04-09-2013, 12:12 AM
probably does go to Hancock but honestly I would give it so Siva all the way. Absolute relentless driving force who was the reason Hancock was open . Siva drove wtih almost complete disregard for contact and personal safety (same for Burke really).

*It is still a guards game. You cant win without great (and usually experienced and fast) gurad play. When it came down to it you had Soph Burke, Junior Hardaway,etc vs Senior Siva and Junior R. Smith. By comparison - as great as Duke was this year - we really had a first year Cook and a freshman Suilamon. I am primarily think PG when I look for experience ... FR can do it at the 3 / 4 / 5 eg Carmelo Anthony

When we won in 2010 were Scheyer and Smith both Juniors? I cant recall now but I know they were seasoned.

One senior and one junior. Experience helps- both Siva and Burke played great

KenTankerous
04-09-2013, 12:13 AM
grant who?

how about jason williams and jay bilas in their cubical at espn? maybe wearing matching left ear cards earrings?

-jk
04-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Problem is that the only way to get to the more flowy game is to make it even less flowy by calling 50 fouls a game. I think the Duke/Creighton game could be described by anything but flowy and then you also have the best players off the floor which I don't think anyone really wants. The NCAA obviously recognizes something is up and Louisville had twice as many fouls as UM before intentional fouls so I don't think it was terrible. But from what I've read/heard from the head of officiating, it sounds like they will work to fix it.

It took us a while to get here. It'll be ugly for a while to get back. But the teams would adapt.

I think it's worth it.

-jk

KenTankerous
04-09-2013, 12:30 AM
i think y'all are right on, the game is WAY too physical but if you wanna change that, you start in the preseason and carry it through the full schedule. you can't just change the standard in the national final.

but y'all are changing the discussion

louisville won going away, not by twelve, but by six, which better than freaking out waiting to see if a half court shot, three inches off the mark would fall...

brevity
04-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Gottlieb is terrible.

Doug Gottlieb had no place at that table -- his energy is all wrong because he keeps trying to win arguments instead of collaborating. But in terms of self-preservation, he's a genius. In past years he would have been replaced during the Final Four by a high-profile coach. But after he made his race-oriented comment, CBS couldn't get rid of him for fear of looking like they overreacted.

Just watched "One Shining Moment." Best one I've seen in years. Usually the editing is so lazy -- out of chronological order, not attuned to the lyrics, not hitting the right points of emphasis, shows almost no title game. This one was a lot better. Highlights:

* Showing the Tubby Smith/Ben Howland handshake for the line "The time is short."
* You're a shooting star, Seth Curry.
* A few other Duke clips, all positive. They could easily shown the Devils in despair when they lost, but didn't.
* Normally I'd be against showing locker room video, but Larranaga was hilarious.
* FGCU coverage was nicely spread out.
* Clear separation between first weekend, Sweet 16, Final Four.
* Last second work. Kevin Ware cutting the nets!

Harvard's win was out of place, and maybe they could have shown a little more Wichita State, but that's just nitpicking. I guess this was CBS' apology for keeping Doug Gottlieb at the big boy table. Apology accepted. Don't let it happen again.

Duke4Ever32
04-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Yes - this year's One Shining Moment was exceptional!

tommy
04-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Looked like the Big 10 team couldn't quite handle the physicality of the ACC team, huh?

InSpades
04-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Looked like the Big 10 team couldn't quite handle the physicality of the ACC team, huh?

You mean "American Athletic" team I think... Or whatever they came up with...

Duke4Ever32
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Doug Gottlieb had no place at that table -- his energy is all wrong because he keeps trying to win arguments instead of collaborating. But in terms of self-preservation, he's a genius. In past years he would have been replaced during the Final Four by a high-profile coach. But after he made his race-oriented comment, CBS couldn't get rid of him for fear of looking like they overreacted.

Just watched "One Shining Moment." Best one I've seen in years. Usually the editing is so lazy -- out of chronological order, not attuned to the lyrics, not hitting the right points of emphasis, shows almost no title game. This one was a lot better. Highlights:

* Showing the Tubby Smith/Ben Howland handshake for the line "The time is short."
* You're a shooting star, Seth Curry.
* A few other Duke clips, all positive. They could easily shown the Devils in despair when they lost, but didn't.
* Normally I'd be against showing locker room video, but Larranaga was hilarious.
* FGCU coverage was nicely spread out.
* Clear separation between first weekend, Sweet 16, Final Four.
* Last second work. Kevin Ware cutting the nets!

Harvard's win was out of place, and maybe they could have shown a little more Wichita State, but that's just nitpicking. I guess this was CBS' apology for keeping Doug Gottlieb at the big boy table. Apology accepted. Don't let it happen again.

Also showing Boeheim for "all the years".

-bdbd
04-09-2013, 01:29 AM

I had the same thought. Ha!! Well that's another National Championship trophy that'll soon be sitting in the trophy case of an ACC school (and NOT in one for a Big10 school). Yes! Score one for the "good guys!" We now get to also claim that Duke was just ONE LOSS away from a championship!

Another silver lining is that there will now (likely) be TWO ACC coaches trailing K with two wins apiece - Pitino and some other hick down the road a ways...

I also agree with the Brevity post about Gottlieb - the long and the short of it is that the guy is just really annoying. He just seems very anxious to ARGUE, frequently. And his "energy," to me, comes off like a pesky, annoying neighbor's little dog who's consumed something with sugar in it and just won't stop barking in your face while you'e trying to watch something otherwise interesting on TV.

But have to agree that this was one of the better "One Shining Moment" in many years. Certainly a lot better than the annoying vocals on the 2010 one when Duke won it all in Indy.

BTW, I was reading something totally unrelated to the Final Four today, and the author made a hillarious analogy about someone being a little too direct about something. He said, "He has all the subtlty of Greg Doyel at a press conferemnce." I about fell out of my chair laughing. :D

matt1
04-09-2013, 07:15 AM
We beat the National Champions in November, at least.

KenTankerous
04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
fwiw, pitino, in his post game presser, talked about coach k, calling him the greatest in the college game ever. that's after he talked about wooden and boehiem and the dudes from wichita state and their first round victim.

he never mentioned huckleberry.

TruBlu
04-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Isn't it past Albrecht's bedtime?

Excuse me, but that was a mean thing to say about his grandmother!;)

Saratoga2
04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
First of all, I have to say the incredible number of commercial breaks and even commercials running within the game was ridiculous. The game can't develop the low we would all like to see, when there is one play and then back to 2 minutes of adds. Of course they need advertising, but when it slows the game so much, is it the same? I believe the game took 2 hours and 20 minutes to televise from tip off to end. In that there were 2 20 minute periods, the half time break and time for stoppages for foul shots. Otherwise, there was more than 50% adds i you count the barrage during the half, ouch.

The game was a very good one. Ultimately, I think UL was too talented at every position and played a very physical defense that got enough turnovers and rebounds to make the difference. When you look at UL, they have two small guards who are quick, a center who is a shot blocker and mobile and who could also hit the jumper from the top of the key. Behanan is probably 6'8" but is mobile and strong. He really made a difference with inside scoring and rebounding. Then they have one of the best shooters in the college games who is also smart and drew fouls when shooting. Very reliable foul shooter as well.

The refs allow play to be very physical and seemed only to call fouls when someone drove to the basket. So much o the game was bumping and grabbing that could have been called. It is what it is. Michigan got a bad call when an obvious goal tending went by the books against them and they missed a lot of foul shots. In a game as close as this, little things matter and in the end a ew missed foul shots and a few turnovers were all the diference UL needed. They deserved to win and teams like them will continue to win if the amount of contact continues to be allowed.

Billy Dat
04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Excellent championship game!

I am with you 100%. Siva was absolutely incredible, especially in the second half. I agree with everything you have said about his offense and offensive leadership, and his defense was absolutely incredible. Any Michigan player putting the ball on the deck had to think twice because he was seamingly everywhere, whippet-fast, ready to swipe it. Louisville is incredible at forcing that drive to the middle and the off guard leaving his man to jump the lane for the steal. Then, in transition, Michigan would be barreling full blast down the court and Siva, ala the Flash, would blur into the picture and break up the play. Despite the game pressure, and some of the missed lay-ups, he never lost his focus or cool. It reminded me of the way Battier played in the 2001 title game, he just was not going to allow them to lose. I also want to credit Trey Burke who I feel played a similar game for Michigan, and Chane Behanan who was an absolute monster on the block. That play in the closing minutes where he took on the entire Michigan front line for 3 offensive rebounds and a put-back was incredible. I also thought Dieng played a great second half. Siva-Behanan-Hancock-Dieng were the difference.

First of all, I have to say the incredible number of commercial breaks and even commercials running within the game was ridiculous. The game can't develop the low we would all like to see, when there is one play and then back to 2 minutes of adds. Of course they need advertising, but when it slows the game so much, is it the same? I believe the game took 2 hours and 20 minutes to televise from tip off to end. In that there were 2 20 minute periods, the half time break and time for stoppages for foul shots. Otherwise, there was more than 50% adds i you count the barrage during the half, ouch.

The refs allow play to be very physical and seemed only to call fouls when someone drove to the basket. So much o the game was bumping and grabbing that could have been called. It is what it is. Michigan got a bad call when an obvious goal tending went by the books against them and they missed a lot of foul shots. In a game as close as this, little things matter and in the end a ew missed foul shots and a few turnovers were all the diference UL needed. They deserved to win and teams like them will continue to win if the amount of contact continues to be allowed.

The television timeouts were horrendous, and the officiating was terrible. I don't care as much as others about the physicality as long as it is called consistently, but the blatant errors like the kicked ball, the goaltend, etc., were so bush league.

superdave
04-12-2013, 08:50 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/04/11/rick-pitino-will-get-tattoo-of-a-cardinal-on-his-shoulder/
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/04/11/rick-pitino-will-get-tattoo-of-a-cardinal-on-his-shoulder/)