PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men Season VI

Faustus
04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Season Six. Just a reminder...

OZZIE4DUKE
04-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Season Six. Just a reminder...

Looking forward to it. :cool: I'll record Bar Rescue on Spike (10 pm) to watch later. Jon Taffer, the host of Bar Rescue, was a boyhood friend growing up in Great Neck, NY.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-08-2013, 01:11 PM
It was fairly subtle, but this episode seemed to be focused on death.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Nothing subtle about it. And all things considered, it was a very poor episode. Good thing it wasn't the first time we had watched Mad Men, because if it was, there wouldn't have been a second time. Although I will say that the brief "glimpse" of Don's wife getting out of bed made the whole episode worth while! :cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-08-2013, 01:41 PM
I thought the episode examined mortality and loyalty in various scenarios, but it didn't seem nearly as dark as much of last season. The selection of cast wardrobe was closer to the quality of symbolism in earlier seasons.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
I thought the episode examined mortality and loyalty in various scenarios, but it didn't seem nearly as dark as much of last season. The selection of cast wardrobe was closer to the quality of symbolism in earlier seasons.

I meant to say that the episode examined mortality and relationships in various scenarios. Decor, especially in the offices, continues to be used symbolically to support character development.

brevity
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
And all things considered, it was a very poor episode.

Thank you for having the courage to say it. I've read a few online reviews that were a little too reverent for my taste. I find Mad Men endlessly interesting, even if I don't care for what's actually going on. Like with reading, I know I'll find it enriching in some way. But it's still okay to dislike it.

This particular episode seemed to be held together by furs and shoe polish. Roger Sterling, always in excellent form, made it watchable. And I liked the scene where Peggy handles the Koss headphones client, and Burt Peterson follows up not with some begrudging variation of "Nice save" but instead says "You really need to call Ted."

My patience is tried when I wait for non-Draper scenes and I just get a whole lot of Draper. This show has reached the point where it could bravely spend massive amounts of screen time on other characters -- I'm still waiting for a 15-minute Trudy Campbell interlude -- but it's fixated on giving Draper the same amount of playing time. (Use your bench, Coach Weiner!) Don's a great TV character, one of the best, but it's exhausting when so much time is devoted with so little left to say.

And don't get me started on Betty. What a ball hog!

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Nothing subtle about it.

I guess I was too subtle. :) The death/mortality theme was as subtle as sledgehammer.

BlueDevilinNYC
04-09-2013, 08:39 AM

I'm sorry, but I enjoy the fact that everybody on the show but her husband hates Betty. Even her five year old sons are calling her ugly. Perfect

budwom
04-09-2013, 09:09 AM
So has Ms. Jones (Betty) really gained all that weight or is she wearing a fat suit? She did mention being on a diet in the latest episode...

Billy Dat
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
I find Mad Men endlessly interesting, even if I don't care for what's actually going on. Like with reading, I know I'll find it enriching in some way. But it's still okay to dislike it.

I, too, enjoy Mad Men when it's on slow burn.

I'm still waiting for a 15-minute Trudy Campbell interlude
Love Trudy!!!!

I'm sorry, but I enjoy the fact that everybody on the show but her husband hates Betty. Even her five year old sons are calling her ugly. Perfect

So has Ms. Jones (Betty) really gained all that weight or is she wearing a fat suit? She did mention being on a diet in the latest episode...

First off, I am pretty sure it's a fat suit and make-up. January Jones is still a vision to behold. That being said, as a loyal watcher, I hate how Betty's character evolved over time. I guess she was always mean to her kids, and that's probably enough to base any amount of dislike. But, at the start of the series, she was a lot more sympathetic, and while others panned her acting, I thought she hit the correct notes as a young mother in the early 60s trying to adjust to life in the suburbs, a vacant husband, an ailing father, a recently deceased mother, etc. As time wore on, they turned her into a complete nasty shrew, which I think was a poor choice because I think the suburban storylines were worth exploring and now they seem to be a silly grotesque.