PDA

View Full Version : Some more NCAA awesomeness

FerryFor50
04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=78da1b4e-4e9a-3337-b788-bbc9505e90b2&.ts=1365211394&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

(http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=78da1b4e-4e9a-3337-b788-bbc9505e90b2&.ts=1365211394&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en)Profiteering on a kid who broke his leg that isn't even even allowed to make money on his own jersey number? Nice.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Loathsome is an understatement. Who cares about fake classes and grades when you can put your resources into selling a t-shirt to a few people for $25 each. Makes sense.

Duvall
04-06-2013, 09:14 AM
http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=78da1b4e-4e9a-3337-b788-bbc9505e90b2&.ts=1365211394&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

(http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=78da1b4e-4e9a-3337-b788-bbc9505e90b2&.ts=1365211394&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en)Profiteering on a kid who broke his leg that isn't even even allowed to make money on his own jersey number? Nice.

What does the NCAA have to do with this?

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
They're part of the machine and apparently did nothing to protect the student athlete they so boldy claim to stand for. It was an obvious attempt to skirt an NCAA regulation. It should have been obvious to them that there was something not right here. Even if technically legal, where is the adherence to mission by the NCAA in a situation like this?

From the NCAA website...

"Founded more than one hundred years ago as a way to protect student-athletes..."

KenTankerous
04-06-2013, 10:36 AM
but we wanted those shirts. we bought those shirts. we wear those shirts.

i say sell the hell out of those shirts and put half the money in a general scholarship fund for the uofl and the other half in a trust fund to be available to the athlete on his 50th birthday.

arnie
04-06-2013, 11:46 AM
They're part of the machine and apparently did nothing to protect the student athlete they so boldy claim to stand for. It was an obvious attempt to skirt an NCAA regulation. It should have been obvious to them that there was something not right here. Even if technically legal, where is the adherence to mission by the NCAA in a situation like this?

From the NCAA website...

"Founded more than one hundred years ago as a way to protect student-athletes..."

Are you recommending shutdown of Ncaa? Course Duke is an important member of this imperfect organization . Recognize that the injured player will still receive a free education, will have solid work opportunities in Kentucky after graduation, has appeared on late night TV and will have great rehab for his injury. I doubt he thinks its all bad.

TruBlu
04-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Initially, when Ware's leg was broken, there was some question as to whether his full medical expenses would be covered. Have there been any updates on this issue?

Instead of donating the profits from the sale of these shirts to the general scholarship fund, could they not be donated to his recovery fund (if his rehab isn't covered by Louisville or an insurance policy)?

When our own Blair Holliday was injured in the jet ski accident, some legal matters had to be cleared with the NCAA, but the proceeds from the "Pray for 8" and "Every Day is a Holliday" shirts went to his recovery fund. IIRC, these shirts were started by his foundation, and Duke permitted/encouraged the sale on campus.

Although the initial sale (of the Ware referenced shirts) was begun for profit, they might be able to turn some bad publicity into some good.

Wander
04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
What does the NCAA have to do with this?

I don't understand this either. As far as I could tell from the article, it seems like Adidas is the guilty party here...

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Are you recommending shutdown of Ncaa? Course Duke is an important member of this imperfect organization . Recognize that the injured player will still receive a free education, will have solid work opportunities in Kentucky after graduation, has appeared on late night TV and will have great rehab for his injury. I doubt he thinks its all bad.
Not recommending anything. I'm just acknowledging the ridiculousness of the NCAA when it comes to their priorities. And I also don't think it's fair to surmise what Ware thinks unless he has specifically made a statement about it.

sagegrouse
04-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't understand this either. As far as I could tell from the article, it seems like Adidas is the guilty party here...

I vote for "consumer sovereignty." People wanted to buy such a shirt to honor Ware, and -- voila! -- it came onto the market.

sagegrouse