PDA

View Full Version : 2013 National Player of the Year Awards

superdave
04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Trey Burke just won AP player of the year (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-trey-burke-jim-larranaga-20130404,0,3812587.story).

Of 65 votes -
Burke 31
Porter 16
Oladipo 10

Please post a link if you find full voting.

Wooden and Naismith to come.

superdave
04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Trey Burke won the Wooden on Friday (http://www.woodenaward.com/).

Voting:
2013 Wooden Award VOTE TOTALS as compiled by Deloitte
Trey Burke, Michigan, 2808 points
Victor Oladipo, Indiana, 2718
Doug McDermott, Creighton, 2344
Otto Porter, Jr., Georgetown, 2144
Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga, 2079
Shane Larkin, Miami (FL), 1822
Cody Zeller, Indiana, 1730
Mason Plumlee, Duke, 1304
DeShaun Thomas, Ohio State, 1202
Ben McLemore, Kansas, 1072

So Zeller got significantly more respect from voters in spite of Mason Plumlee having better stats across the board and being the best player on a better Duke team. Zeller was the second best player on an Indiana team that under-performed a expectations. Guess reputation and draft status helps.

luburch
04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
So Zeller got significantly more respect from voters in spite of Mason Plumlee having better stats across the board and being the best player on a better Duke team. Zeller was the second best player on an Indiana team that under-performed a expectations. Guess reputation and draft status helps.

Duke made it farther in the tournament, but are you sure they were the better team?

Duke-2nd place ACC Regular Season, beat in quaterfinals of ACC tournament, lost in Elite Eight.

Indiana- Won B1G regular season, lost in semi-final of the B1G ten tournament, lost in Sweet 16.

Not sure you can objectively say Duke was better. I'm not saying they weren't better, but I'm not sure you can make that claim.

superdave
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Trey Burke won the Naismith yesterday (http://www.naismithawards.com/PressBox/ArticleView/tabid/209/ArticleId/68/Trey-Burke-Becomes-First-University-of-Michigan-Player-to-Win-Naismith-Trophy-presented-by-AT-T.aspx).

I could not find voting but the other finalists were McDermott, Oladpio and Porter.

superdave
04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Duke made it farther in the tournament, but are you sure they were the better team?

Duke-2nd place ACC Regular Season, beat in quaterfinals of ACC tournament, lost in Elite Eight.

Indiana- Won B1G regular season, lost in semi-final of the B1G ten tournament, lost in Sweet 16.

Not sure you can objectively say Duke was better. I'm not saying they weren't better, but I'm not sure you can make that claim.

Duke had the better overall record - 30-6 to 29-7

Indiana was #1 in the preseason and for a decent chunk of the season, but fell in the Sweet 16 to Cuse, a #4 seed. Duke was #8 in the pre-season and finished in the Elite 8 losing to overall #1 seed. Duke met expectations, Indy fell short.

I'll take our season, mainly because we hit our expectations and they did not which is likely depressing to their fans.