PDA

View Full Version : Auburn FB. Uh oh.

94duke
04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Paid players not to go pro. Changed grades to maintain eligibility before the championship game.
Yikes.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/03/former-auburn-players-accuse-school-violations/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

matt1
04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Paid players not to go pro. Changed grades to maintain eligibility before the championship game.
Yikes.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/03/former-auburn-players-accuse-school-violations/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

I am done with caring about NCAA violations, but this could result in a stripped title.

alteran
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Yikes.

If I'm reading this right, the allegations are from one guy facing felony armed robbery charges. The "corroborating" folks in the article seem to have tweeted that the article is bogus and that their comments are out of context or outright fabricated. (All this is in the link above.)

I think we're a long way from sanctions at this point.

sue71, esq
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I heard about this earlier today, so thanks for the link.

Olympic Fan
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Reputation is a funny thing ... there are reporters and commentators I pay attention to and others who invite skepticism.

Not to bring up the Duke lacrosse hoax again, but in the course of that story, few reporters were more misinformed/willfully dishonest than Ms. Roberts.

This Auburn story may or may not have legs. But I'm not paying much attention as long as the sole source is Selena Roberts.

cspan37421
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Reputation is a funny thing ... there are reporters and commentators I pay attention to and others who invite skepticism.

Not to bring up the Duke lacrosse hoax again, but in the course of that story, few reporters were more misinformed/willfully dishonest than Ms. Roberts.

This Auburn story may or may not have legs. But I'm not paying much attention as long as the sole source is Selena Roberts.

If she's wrong on this, how can she not be finished as a reporter? I guess I'm implicitly assuming there are still quality standards for journalism, but in reality, the # of eyeballs / clicks is probably the only standard.

AtlBluRew
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Thanks for this reminder. I knew I'd seen her work before. As much as I'd like the Auburn story to be true, I'll consider all this to be "unfounded rumor" until I see it from a source I think is more credible.

Jim3k
04-04-2013, 06:51 PM
The grade changing report may not be as bad as it is made out to be. If the player did the work well enough to maintain a C in the course, it would be strange for a a college attendance issue to cancel out the work. That's particularly true if the absences should have been excused because his schedule conflicted with his scholarship sport. Many universities accommodate such conflicts and instructors are not permitted to grade on any basis other than classroom performance. For all we, or Johnson knows, the athletic department may have been providing (legitimate) tutoring support enabling the player to pass the course. This article is short on research.

BD80
04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
... This article is short on research.

But not sensation. I find it ironic that this story is capturing attention, while a realistic possibility of WWIII merits a comparative ho-hum.

killerleft
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
If she's wrong on this, how can she not be finished as a reporter? I guess I'm implicitly assuming there are still quality standards for journalism, but in reality, the # of eyeballs / clicks is probably the only standard.

She was as wrong as she could be on Lax. She's not finished.

Duvall
04-05-2013, 02:26 PM
She was as wrong as she could be on Lax. She's not finished.

Not finished, but has gone from the New York Times to "roopstigo.com" in a fairly short period of time.