PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 Schedule

CameronDuke
04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Does anyone have any information regarding the 2013-2014 Duke men's basketball schedule? Any confirmed preseason tournaments or out of conference opponents that Duke is for sure playing? Thanks!

pfrduke
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Schedule building is my favorite thread of the off-season. To date, all I know for certain is that we'll be playing Kansas in the United Center in November as part of the Champions Classic. This is the last of the three-year series, and I for one very much hope it renews - there have been some good early season games among Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and MSU.

blazindw
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Schedule building is my favorite thread of the off-season. To date, all I know for certain is that we'll be playing Kansas in the United Center in November as part of the Champions Classic. This is the last of the three-year series, and I for one very much hope it renews - there have been some good early season games among Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and MSU.

I too love the Champions Classic. I went to the games in MSG and Atlanta and plan on heading to Chicago this year. I wonder if they will keep it with the same teams (and maybe new venues) or if they switch up the lineup a bit. I also wonder if this is the year we'll return to the P-NIT for our early season tournament.

pfrduke
04-04-2013, 10:22 AM
I too love the Champions Classic. I went to the games in MSG and Atlanta and plan on heading to Chicago this year. I wonder if they will keep it with the same teams (and maybe new venues) or if they switch up the lineup a bit. I also wonder if this is the year we'll return to the P-NIT for our early season tournament.

Could also be the Coaches vs. Cancer, which is (I believe) lined up to be in the Barclays Center again.

A-Tex Devil
04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
We don't know what pre-season tourney we are in yet, right?

pfrduke
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
We don't know what pre-season tourney we are in yet, right?

Don't believe so. I know we're not in Maui (Syracuse) and we're not going back to the Bahamas (Wake). Among the other preseason tourneys, we're not in the Old Spice (no ACC teams this year), Charleston (Clemson), or Anaheim (Miami) Classics, not in the PR Tip-Off (Florida State), and almost certainly not in the Diamond Head Classic (one open spot, and no ACC teams yet, but a very weak field). CBE Classic (the one in Kansas City) has announced hosts and we're not playing there. PNIT and Coaches v. Cancer have not announced any participants yet - smart money is on one of those. It's also possible, but I think unlikely, that we could end up in one of the Las Vegas tournaments.

A-Tex Devil
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't believe so. I know we're not in Maui (Syracuse) and we're not going back to the Bahamas (Wake). Among the other preseason tourneys, we're not in the Old Spice (no ACC teams this year), Charleston (Clemson), or Anaheim (Miami) Classics, not in the PR Tip-Off (Florida State), and almost certainly not in the Diamond Head Classic (one open spot, and no ACC teams yet, but a very weak field). CBE Classic (the one in Kansas City) has announced hosts and we're not playing there. PNIT and Coaches v. Cancer have not announced any participants yet - smart money is on one of those. It's also possible, but I think unlikely, that we could end up in one of the Las Vegas tournaments.

Hasn't the Preseason NIT had trouble pulling quality teams the last few years? Would be cool to be in a Vegas tourney.

nmduke2001
04-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Hasn't the Preseason NIT had trouble pulling quality teams the last few years? Would be cool to be in a Vegas tourney.

The talk from some people in the know during the battle for atlantis was MSG in November. That would lend itself to the Preseason NIT.

Nugget
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
The talk from some people in the know during the battle for atlantis was MSG in November. That would lend itself to the Preseason NIT.

According to this guy, who tracks the scheduling of the early season tournaments, http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2012/12/7/3739262/2013-14-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE, the Coaches vs. Cancer spots at the Barclays Center have been taken, and most of the other major pre-season events either have been filled or announced partial fields weak enough we wouldn't want to be part of them.

It would seem to confirm the above post that our most likely destinations are the PNIT in MSG or one of the Las Vegas events.

And the linked page reports that the major teams other than us who do not yet have plans for an early season tournament include Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Cincy, Illinois, UCLA and Oregon.

Would be great to see a stacked PNIT field of, say, us, Arizona, either Kentucky or Florida, and Illinois or Cincy.

jmck214
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
I am also hoping for the PNIT. Probably my second favorite tourney behind Maui.

We will also most likely be hosting Davidson and Temple since we played them on the road last year. Also we will be playing a road game in the acc/big 10 challenge assuming it is still around. I am thinking maybe Indiana or Michigan.

Duvall
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
If Duke really wants to impress next year's Selection Committee, they should skip any tournaments that could lead to exciting nonconference matchups and schedule True Road Games against the bottom half of the West Coast Conference. That's where the real action is.

tbyers11
04-04-2013, 04:36 PM
If Duke really wants to impress next year's Selection Committee, they should skip any tournaments that could lead to exciting nonconference matchups and schedule True Road Games against the bottom half of the West Coast Conference. That's where the real action is.

I can't give you sporks again yet but wanted to say that I loved this snark. I don't think the team would mind a December California tour with games against Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount and San Diego either. It does seem to be the best way to assure yourself a #1 seed ;)

pfrduke
04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
According to this guy, who tracks the scheduling of the early season tournaments, http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2012/12/7/3739262/2013-14-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE, the Coaches vs. Cancer spots at the Barclays Center have been taken, and most of the other major pre-season events either have been filled or announced partial fields weak enough we wouldn't want to be part of them.

It would seem to confirm the above post that our most likely destinations are the PNIT in MSG or one of the Las Vegas events.

And the linked page reports that the major teams other than us who do not yet have plans for an early season tournament include Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Cincy, Illinois, UCLA and Oregon.

Would be great to see a stacked PNIT field of, say, us, Arizona, either Kentucky or Florida, and Illinois or Cincy.

First off, that site is amazing. Second, it looks like as of now, at least, he has Arizona slotted into one of the PNIT spots. Would love a matchup with 'Zona in the Garden in November. Third, what in the world is Virginia doing playing in the Corpus Cristi Classic with the likes of SMU, Missouri State, and Texas A&M. Ugh. Fourth, seeing "Connecticut Huskies (AAC)" makes me chuckle.

arnie
04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I can't give you sporks again yet but wanted to say that I loved this snark. I don't think the team would mind a December California tour with games against Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount and San Diego either. It does seem to be the best way to assure yourself a #1 seed ;)

Gosh and what if we miraculously beat one of those teams-we'd be odds on favorites to win the whole thing.

HCheek37
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
So other than the champions classic and a preseason tourney, what other matchups are set from previous deals?

Obviously the B10/ACC will be happening and we'll be on the road - possibly Indiana, Michigan or even Maryland :eek:

As the offseason rolls along, local papers from our opponents' towns will usually write about how so and so will play Duke next year so thats usually our best source of info unless someone else out there gets word.

pfrduke
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
So other than the champions classic and a preseason tourney, what other matchups are set from previous deals?

Obviously the B10/ACC will be happening and we'll be on the road - possibly Indiana, Michigan or even Maryland :eek:

As the offseason rolls along, local papers from our opponents' towns will usually write about how so and so will play Duke next year so thats usually our best source of info unless someone else out there gets word.

Maryland is in the ACC next year.

BD80
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Schedule building is my favorite thread of the off-season. To date, all I know for certain is that we'll be playing Kansas in the United Center in November as part of the Champions Classic. ...

Playing in Jabari's hometown in his final season with the team?

Native
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM

Alaskan Shootout FTW! /sarcasm

Nugget
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Obviously the B10/ACC will be happening and we'll be on the road - possibly Indiana, Michigan or even Maryland.

Unless they change things up (which has happened sometimes in the past, but not too often) as far as giving teams two straight home or road games in the Challenge, both Michigan and Indiana would be slated for road games next year, as would we.

So, it seems more likely we would play at either Ohio St., Minnesota or, I think most likely, Michigan St., which are the top Big Ten teams in line for home games next year.

pfrduke
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Alaskan Shootout FTW! /sarcasm

That's a once great tournament that has fallen on some seriously hard times. We won in 1995 (over Ray Allen's UConn Huskies) and lost in 1998 (Cincinnati) and 2003 (Purdue).

msdukie
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Unless they change things up (which has happened sometimes in the past, but not too often) as far as giving teams two straight home or road games in the Challenge, both Michigan and Indiana would be slated for road games next year, as would we.

So, it seems more likely we would play at either Ohio St., Minnesota or, I think most likely, Michigan St., which are the top Big Ten teams in line for home games next year.

There is no rhyme or reason to home/road setups in the ACC/B1G Challenge but I assure you we will not play tOSU for a 3rd year in a row. I'm going to guess Michigan, because we never play Michigan in the Challenge. Generally, they like to pair the tops teams against each other, but that is only a generalization.

Temple was a neutral site game last year, but I think it is a 3 game series with a Cameron game next year.

duke2x
04-10-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure whether the Temple series will be renewed, but we've played them H-A-N the last three years. They don't owe us a trip to Cameron.

This is 100% speculation, but I think we'll restart the St. John's series in MSG. I thought it was only going to be a 1 year hiatus. MSG hosts the East regional next year.

1 24 90
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Coaches vs. Cancer is out so Duke will probably be part of the NIT Season Tip Off.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130410/SPORTS0202/304100428/-1/rss23

matt1
04-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Coaches vs. Cancer is out so Duke will probably be part of the NIT Season Tip Off.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130410/SPORTS0202/304100428/-1/rss23

When will we know officially?

Olympic Fan
04-12-2013, 01:26 AM
There is no rhyme or reason to home/road setups in the ACC/B1G Challenge but I assure you we will not play tOSU for a 3rd year in a row. I'm going to guess Michigan, because we never play Michigan in the Challenge. Generally, they like to pair the tops teams against each other, but that is only a generalization.

There is rhyme and reason ... it's just that there are no strict rules either to matchups or sites.

Generally, they do try and alternate home and away. There are a few exceptions, but most of them occur when the contract turns over and they start a new cycle. For instance, Duke is 5-0 at home; 3-2 on the road and 4-0 at neutral sites in the challenge (two of those home-neutral -- Greensboro -- two of them road-neutral -- Chicago). I was just looking at the rest of the ACC and almost everybody is 50/50 home and away. One exception is UNC, which is 3-3 at home and 3-4 on the road ... but they also have one "home-neutral (Greensboro).

I think that there is at least a 95 percent chance that Duke's challenge game will be on the road against a Big Ten team that was on the road last year.

Agree that it's unlikely that Duke plays Ohio State for the third straight year.

Michigan is possible, but let's wait and see what Michigan has. While the matchups are not always exactly to preseason rankings (for instance, UNC -- the ACC's third pick in '13 played at Indiana, the Big Ten No. 1) the TV network that sets it up does try and match powers against powers ... midlevel teams against midlevel teams.

Duke is going to be one of the ACC favorites next year ... but will Michigan be an upper echelon Big Ten team? Right now, Chad Ford has Michigan's four top players -- Burke, McGary, Robinson and Hardaway -- all going pro. If that happens, they could drop as far as Miami. If 2-3 of those come back, then a Duke at Michigan game is possible.

I think we have to wait and see how it shakes out before we start guessing Duke's Challenge opponent.

PS ... I don't see the St. John's series being renewed as long as Lavin is there ...

1 24 90
04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
There are numerous "tweets" out there revealing Duke's ACC opponents for next year:

HOME: UNC, Wake, GT, Cuse, VT, Maryland, NCSU, UVA, FSU

AWAY: UNC, Wake, GT, Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, BC, Clemson, Miami

Funny how no Maryland road trip and Duke is going to play home games at all 3 of the newcomers.

I recommend following Laura Keeley on twitter. She has all kinds of great Duke info.

blazindw
04-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Our ACC schedule (no dates, just opponents) have been released:

Home-and-Home: UNC, Wake, GT, Syracuse
Home: VT, UVa, UMd, NC State, FSU
Road: Pitt, ND, BC, Clemson, The U

I thought we had another year before ND basketball entered, but here we go! The 3 new ACC members get to see us in their house this year. Personally, I'm pumped about a trip to the Carrier Dome next season...it's a game I've circled since Cuse joined the ACC.

BD80
04-23-2013, 04:30 PM

I thought we had another year before ND basketball entered, but here we go! The 3 new ACC members get to see us in their house this year. Personally, I'm pumped about a trip to the Carrier Dome next season...it's a game I've circled since Cuse joined the ACC.

Kind of a cool bump for the newcomers to host Duke in their first year, sort of a welcome to the neighborhood gift. Automatic sellout (although Pitt has a pretty solid streak of sellouts going) and something to boost season ticket sales and pump up the boosters/fan base about being in the ACC.

Here is a Turtle
04-23-2013, 04:32 PM
There are numerous "tweets" out there revealing Duke's ACC opponents for next year:

HOME: UNC, Wake, GT, Cuse, VT, Maryland, NCSU, UVA, FSU

AWAY: UNC, Wake, GT, Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, BC, Clemson, Miami

Funny how no Maryland road trip and Duke is going to play home games at all 3 of the newcomers.

I recommend following Laura Keeley on twitter. She has all kinds of great Duke info.

No one in Maryland is surprised by this. We expected it. Just going to have to be good on the road for a change. That's all.

sporthenry
04-23-2013, 04:43 PM
No one in Maryland is surprised by this. We expected it. Just going to have to be good on the road for a change. That's all.

Well the few tweets I have seen have somehow used this as justification for MD leaving. Citing this as the ACC not caring about MD or traditions as if that were the case. If MD wasn't leaving, their schedule wouldn't be as bad but if their fans want to play revisionist historian and somehow say this justifies them leaving, so be it.

Here is a Turtle
04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Well the few tweets I have seen have somehow used this as justification for MD leaving. Citing this as the ACC not caring about MD or traditions as if that were the case. If MD wasn't leaving, their schedule wouldn't be as bad but if their fans want to play revisionist historian and somehow say this justifies them leaving, so be it.

The schedule isn't bad per say. Playing Duke and UNC on the road isn't ideal but I'm cool with having ND, Pitt, and Cuse at home.

Fans are still split on the move though most have accepted it and are grasping at straws for and against the move. That tradition argument was used once the ACC decided to take the home and home against the two schools. That was before the B1G move.

I'm fine with it. I would have liked UNC at home just to redeem how we played last year, but life goes on.

Bluedog
04-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Yeah, that should be a quite a scene. Somebody said on the radio that they might put the court in the middle of the field for the first time ever for the Duke game, thus allowing a crowd of 50,000+. Otherwise, with the typical configuration, 35,000 will be sold easily.

-bdbd
04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Yeah, that should be a quite a scene. Somebody said on the radio that they might put the court in the middle of the field for the first time ever for the Duke game, thus allowing a crowd of 50,000+. Otherwise, with the typical configuration, 35,000 will be sold easily.

Yep - looking forward to heading up to Syracuse for that one. We used to live in Rochester, and so can make a reunion tour visit out of it (if a weekend game, please, schedulers!). I've been to games there before. It is BIG - even less "personal" than the Dean Dome if that's possible. But they do get up for big games, like this one. (Not much else going on in Syracuse in Jan-Feb., other than shoveling snow!)

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207391061&DB_OEM_ID=4200

No surprise whatsoever to see the Terps get slighted. The DC media, here, was predicting this even before the game in CP two months ago. (I just hate that we don't get to leave their final taste of Duke being in Comcast as a losing one for them.) It will hurt them too, as last year they had terrible attendance for a bunch of games, but then sold out for Duke and UNC. W/O those two "carrots" to lure buyers for their season tix packages, I predict lots of empty seats in Comcast this coming season....

Here is a Turtle
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Yep - looking forward to heading up to Syracuse for that one. We used to live in Rochester, and so can make a reunion tour visit out of it (if a weekend game, please, schedulers!). I've been to games there before. It is BIG - even less "personal" than the Dean Dome if that's possible. But they do get up for big games, like this one. (Not much else going on in Syracuse in Jan-Feb., other than shoveling snow!)

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207391061&DB_OEM_ID=4200

No surprise whatsoever to see the Terps get slighted. The DC media, here, was predicting this even before the game in CP two months ago. (I just hate that we don't get to leave their final taste of Duke being in Comcast as a losing one for them.) It will hurt them too, as last year they had terrible attendance for a bunch of games, but then sold out for Duke and UNC. W/O those two "carrots" to lure buyers for their season tix packages, I predict lots of empty seats in Comcast this coming season....

Attendance wasn't actually that bad. Several near sellout or complete sell outs happened outside of duke and unc. Off the top of my head, I remember Nc State and Virginia Tech and a couple more sold out.

And Syracuse would be crazy not to look into expanding it, but if they only got 35k for Georgetown arriving at the last time in the carrier dome, I'm not sure they could get 50k+ for Duke. Definitely something that should be explored though.

blazindw
04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
And Syracuse would be crazy not to look into expanding it, but if they only got 35k for Georgetown arriving at the last time in the carrier dome, I'm not sure they could get 50k+ for Duke. Definitely something that should be explored though.

I think if they looked at it as a one-time thing, with us as the opponent, I think 50K is possible. The same was done with the MSU-UNC game that was at Ford Field in December 2008 (in what turned out to be a prequel to the title game that year). I don't think 50K will be the norm, but having a game each year where they configure the court Final Four style will definitely be a draw.

uh_no
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I think if they looked at it as a one-time thing, with us as the opponent, I think 50K is possible. The same was done with the MSU-UNC game that was at Ford Field in December 2008 (in what turned out to be a prequel to the title game that year). I don't think 50K will be the norm, but having a game each year where they configure the court Final Four style will definitely be a draw.

It likely costs a ton to build the stands out in that configuration....they build bleachers covering the first 30 rows of seat or something ridiculous....syracuse has the infrastructure to set it up in the endzone...i'm not sure why they'd drop the cash for a one time deal to put it in the middle of the field without a tv kickback (like UNC likely got for playing in ford field or dallas)...i mean maybe they can make it up in ticket sales....but i'm skeptical....duke is a big draw....but 50k big?

Duvall
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
It likely costs a ton to build the stands out in that configuration....they build bleachers covering the first 30 rows of seat or something ridiculous....syracuse has the infrastructure to set it up in the endzone...i'm not sure why they'd drop the cash for a one time deal to put it in the middle of the field without a tv kickback (like UNC likely got for playing in ford field or dallas)...i mean maybe they can make it up in ticket sales....but i'm skeptical....duke is a big draw....but 50k big?

If Syracuse got 35K for Big East opponents, 50K for Duke seems reasonable.

blazindw
04-23-2013, 10:45 PM

They would get a TV deal for that game, just like these other one-off games. I'm not saying they'll do it, but we can draw 50K for our first game there, especially if it's put at a point where we are their first ever ACC game.

-blazin "I'll be there regardless" dw

-jk
04-23-2013, 11:01 PM
They would get a TV deal for that game, just like these other one-off games. I'm not saying they'll do it, but we can draw 50K for our first game there, especially if it's put at a point where we are their first ever ACC game.

I think the ACC has rights to that game. Or I'm really confused.

-jk

1 24 90
04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2013/04/29/duke-basketball-to-play-in-next-years-nit-season-tip-off/

It's the NIT Season Tip Off. I believe the NY games are played the day before and the day after Thanksgiving.

uh_no
04-29-2013, 04:28 PM

i was beat to it, but the ACC owns those games....syrauces won't get more money for putting on an "event"...they'll get the same they get for every other ACC game...so there's' no big extra bucks like there would be for the preseason extravaganzas that make paying the bucks to set the stadium up like that worth it.

Olympic Fan
04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
i was beat to it, but the ACC owns those games....syrauces won't get more money for putting on an "event"...they'll get the same they get for every other ACC game...so there's' no big extra bucks like there would be for the preseason extravaganzas that make paying the bucks to set the stadium up like that worth it.

While you are right that the ACC owns all TV rights to all ACC games (at least they have first call on on ACC games. If the ACC elects not to televise a game, the team can market the game itself ... although for something like Duke at Syracuse, no chance the ACC passes).

However, ACC teams don't pool the home gate -- not even sure they pay the visits a flat fee. Syracuse certainly would make a lot of money by expanding to 50,000 seats for Duke's visit. That's 15,000 extra seats at what? $20 a ticket? Even $10 (because most will be bad seats) is $150,000. That's not chump change.

BTW, after the NBA early entries have been decided, I think we can get a good look at the Big 10 prospects now. Michigan State, Michigan and Ohio State loom as the top 3 teams. Pretty sure Duke draws one of them in the Challenge ... not likely to be Ohio State for third year in a row. Michigan State had a home game in last year's challenge, so they probably go on the road (at UNC? The Heels are due a home game). That makes Michigan the most likely doe for Duke, in Ann Arbor. Not 100 percent, but now the most likely matchup.

blazindw
04-30-2013, 01:55 PM
BTW, after the NBA early entries have been decided, I think we can get a good look at the Big 10 prospects now. Michigan State, Michigan and Ohio State loom as the top 3 teams. Pretty sure Duke draws one of them in the Challenge ... not likely to be Ohio State for third year in a row. Michigan State had a home game in last year's challenge, so they probably go on the road (at UNC? The Heels are due a home game). That makes Michigan the most likely doe for Duke, in Ann Arbor. Not 100 percent, but now the most likely matchup.

It was reverse...MSU played at The U (loss) and Michigan hosted NC State (win). Still, I think that since we've played MSU the last 3 seasons (NCAAT this past year, Champions Classic in 2011, and ACC/B1G in 2010), Michigan is going to be our ACC/B1G opponent this year, most likely in A2.

1 24 90
04-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Michigan State played at Miami last year in the challenge and Duke never returned the home game from Kyrie's year so I think Duke goes to the Izzone next year. Also, they should be the 2 highest rated teams in their conference and just played in the NCAA tourney so there is that storyline too.

mo.st.dukie
04-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Michigan State played at Miami last year in the challenge and Duke never returned the home game from Kyrie's year so I think Duke goes to the Izzone next year. Also, they should be the 2 highest rated teams in their conference and just played in the NCAA tourney so there is that storyline too.

And ESPN probably has a major influence on the matchups and no way they pass up Duke @ MSU with it being a S16 rematch and the whole Jabari Parker angle too.

BD80
04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
... 15,000 extra seats at what? $20 a ticket? Even $10 (because most will be bad seats) is $150,000. That's not chump change. ...

Plus concession sales, parking, boost to local businesses. Not insignificant. All at marginal cost.

Olympic Fan
05-02-2013, 02:06 PM

To quote Homer Simpson: "Doh!"

I had a brain lock. Yes, Michigan State had a road game in last year's challenge and Michigan had a home game (they beat NC State). So I agree that the most likely matchup is Duke at Michigan State.

That means that Duke's early season schedule should include:

(1) a neutral court game with Kansas (ESPN's No. 11 preseason team)
(2) a likely neutral court game with Arizona in the PNIT finals (ESPN's No. 5 preseason team)
(3) a road game at Michigan State (ESPN's No. 3 preseason team).

Pretty good start ... and a pretty good test of Duke's ongoing streak of AP top 10 rankings. I'm sure Duke starts in the top 10 (ESPN currently has Duke No. 4 in preseason). We can probably survive one early season loss to a team like Kansas/Arizona/MSU and stay in the top 10, but even with such quality opponents, I would guess than two such early losses would be too much to survive. Just my gut -- I would think Duke would be a slight favorite over Kansas and Arizona (at least in MSG), but an underdog at Michigan State (even though K seems to have Izzo's number).

In the long term, of course, it wouldn't matter if Duke went 3-0 or 0-3 in those games, but I would like to make a run at UCLA's streak of consecutive top 10 rankings.

CDu
05-02-2013, 02:18 PM

I had a brain lock. Yes, Michigan State had a road game in last year's challenge and Michigan had a home game (they beat NC State). So I agree that the most likely matchup is Duke at Michigan State.

(2) a likely neutral court game with Arizona in the PNIT finals (ESPN's No. 5 preseason team)
(3) a road game at Michigan State (ESPN's No. 3 preseason team).

Pretty good start ... and a pretty good test of Duke's ongoing streak of AP top 10 rankings. I'm sure Duke starts in the top 10 (ESPN currently has Duke No. 4 in preseason). We can probably survive one early season loss to a team like Kansas/Arizona/MSU and stay in the top 10, but even with such quality opponents, I would guess than two such early losses would be too much to survive. Just my gut -- I would think Duke would be a slight favorite over Kansas and Arizona (at least in MSG), but an underdog at Michigan State (even though K seems to have Izzo's number).

In the long term, of course, it wouldn't matter if Duke went 3-0 or 0-3 in those games, but I would like to make a run at UCLA's streak of consecutive top 10 rankings.

I'd predict us as the favorite in all 3 of those games, and I'd expect us to win all 3. Kansas loses A LOT going into next year and it will probably take them time to find their identity. Arizona will also be very young at key positions. And while MSU returns most of their key guys, Izzo has been known for experimenting more early in the season and turning it on in Big-10 play. Between that, Duke's tendency to always be more prepared than their opponents earlier in the season, and Coach K's edge over Izzo, I'd be somewhat surprised to see us not go 3-0. Not shocked, but somewhat surprised.

In any case, given the rebuilding nature of the Kansas team and the home-away-from-home-court edge of MSG over a young and inconsistent Arizona team, I'd expect us to do no worse than 2-1 in those 3 games.

CameronBornAndBred
05-03-2013, 11:31 AM

We will be playing Kansas in Chicago on Nov. 12th. (My birthday, woohoo!)

Newton_14
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
We will be playing Kansas in Chicago on Nov. 12th. (My birthday, woohoo!)

Road trip and Bday party! I'm in! I'll drive!

jmck214
05-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Per Laura Kelly on twitter the ACC/Big10 challenge schedule will be coming out today

luburch
05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
They're supposed to be announced at 2pm, but I'm hearing Syracuse will play at home against Indiana.

Edit: Also just saw where Northwestern will play NC State.

Duvall
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Per Laura Keeley, Michigan at Duke now seems like the safe way to bet.

Billy Dat
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Per Laura Keeley, Michigan at Duke now seems like the safe way to bet.

That would be epic, and a real threat to the non-con winning streak. Bring it on!!!!!!!!

luburch
05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Duke hosts Michigan. UNC at MSU

Olympic Fan
05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Duke hosts Michigan. UNC at MSU

Wow, this is going to infuriate our Tar Heel friends. Duke gets two straight home games in the series ... Carolina has a second straight road game. Not only that, for the second year in a row, UNC has to go on the road against the preseason favorite in the Big Ten) as good as Michigan is going to be, there's no question that Michigan State is going to the Big Ten favorites.

I really don't understand it -- it makes more sense for Duke to play at Michigan State and for UNC and Michigan to meet.

But it's going to be fun to watch them squeal.

BD80
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Wow, this is going to infuriate our Tar Heel friends. ...

But it's going to be fun to watch them squeal.

neutered rams bleat.

with a drawl.

without spilling a drop of their box Chardonnay.

Olympic Fan
05-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Just wanted to point out that this will be Duke's sixth home game in the Challenge ... UNC has also played six home games, so this season will even them up.

If you include home-neutral (both Duke and UNC have played in Greensboro), they Duke has played seven at home/home-neutral and UNC has played seven ... this year will give Duke one more favoriable game -- which I assume will be evened out next year.

1 24 90
05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
The twitterverse is saying that Duke and UCLA are close to finalizing a deal to play at MSG in late December. That will make 4 total games in NY this coming season including the 2 NIT Season Tip-Off games (assuming Duke makes it to MSG - isn't this the tourney where Virginia didn't make it because they lost at home to ODU?) and at Syracuse.

CameronBornAndBred
05-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Wow, this is going to infuriate our Tar Heel friends. Duke gets two straight home games in the series ... Carolina has a second straight road game. Not only that, for the second year in a row, UNC has to go on the road against the preseason favorite in the Big Ten) as good as Michigan is going to be, there's no question that Michigan State is going to the Big Ten favorites.

The Blue Devils are the first ACC team to have two sets of back-to-back home games in the series, which began in 1999. Duke hosted and beat Indiana 54-51 in 2006 and defeated Wisconsin at Cameron Indoor Stadium, 82-58, in 2007. Last year, Duke hosted and defeated Ohio State 73-68 (http://bit.ly/Ww6n9B), thanks in large part to 17-second half points from Rasheed Sulaimon.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-to-host-michigan-in-acc-big-10-challenge

Olympic Fan
05-08-2013, 03:03 PM
The twitterverse is saying that Duke and UCLA are close to finalizing a deal to play at MSG in late December. That will make 4 total games in NY this coming season including the 2 NIT Season Tip-Off games (assuming Duke makes it to MSG - isn't this the tourney where Virginia didn't make it because they lost at home to ODU?) and at Syracuse.

Close ... Virginia was in the Preseason NIT last year and missed a trip to New York City because they lost at home to Delaware (the ODU loss came later and was not a part of the tournament).

Some of these preseason tournaments that start at home guarantee the host schools a trip to the semifinals even if the lose a preliminary home game. The PNIT is actually "honest" in that you have to win your way to New York.

Duke will have to win two games in Cameron to earn the trip to the PNIT semifinals ... but even though we don't know who those teams will be, they will be teams Duke will almost certainly beat.

Dev11
05-09-2013, 08:07 AM
The twitterverse is saying that Duke and UCLA are close to finalizing a deal to play at MSG in late December.

I just hope it doesn't conflict with our bowl game.

msdukie
05-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I just hope it doesn't conflict with our bowl game.

Well, our bowl game will be in January.

TNDukeFan
06-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Can someone remind me when the schedule will firm up? I have to be in Durham some time in December, but I have some flexibility, and I'd like to see a game in Cameron. The sooner I can make a plan, the better.

-jk
06-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Can someone remind me when the schedule will firm up? I have to be in Durham some time in December, but I have some flexibility, and I'd like to see a game in Cameron. The sooner I can make a plan, the better.

Late August, generally.

-jk

duke2x
06-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Anything I find on the internet from others sources I'll share with DBR. It's getting to be that time of year. Michigan is the only confirmed December game (12/3).

Your best bet is between the 16th-31st when students are gone and downstairs tickets are sold to low Iron Dukes and the public. Exam week is the 10th-15th. A game v. a mid-major on 12/7 or 12/8 would be another possibility.

duke2x
06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Per Charlotte Observer, Davidson is the likely season opener on 11/8. We also play Davidson in Charlotte in 2015-2016.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/30/4076450/davidson-adds-duke-unc-and-virginia.html

matt1
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Per Charlotte Observer, Davidson is the likely season opener on 11/8. We also play Davidson in Charlotte in 2015-2016.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/30/4076450/davidson-adds-duke-unc-and-virginia.html

Davidson is a strong program, but they should be down next year. Let's hope that they do not give us a Belmont-sized scare! By the way, what is with Belmont? We beat them by one point in both the 2008 NCAA Tournament 1st Round and the 2010-11 season opener.

TNDukeFan
06-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info, Duke2x.

MartyClark
06-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Why doesn't Duke schedule South Carolina for a home and home? It used to be a heated rivalry, right?

Disclaimer - the last time I saw South Carolina live was in Chicago Stadium for a college basketball doubleheader. John Roche and Tom Riker were the stars of this team.

gumbomoop
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Why doesn't Duke schedule South Carolina for a home and home? It used to be a heated rivalry, right?

Disclaimer - the last time I saw South Carolina live was in Chicago Stadium for a college basketball doubleheader. John Roche and Tom Riker were the stars of this team.

Tom Owens?

Olympic Fan
06-11-2013, 01:32 AM

The Duke South Carolina series was only hot for a brief period. While Duke and South Carolina were in the same conference from 1928-71, there really wasn't much of a rivalry -- Duke won 54 of 67 meetings until the Gary Gregor-Skip Harlicka-Jack Thompson swept the 1968 series and the John Roche-Tom Owens team (Riker only arrived a year later) swept the 1969 regular series (although Duke did beat South Carolina in the ACC Tournament that year).

Yeah, South Carolina worked up a good hate against Duke AD Eddie Cameron because supposedly he turned in SC in the Mike Grosso case -- turned out the investigation did prove they cheated ... they were penalized by both the ACC and the NCAA for their violations. And it was later revealed that they were turned in by the President of Clemson, not Cameron.

Duke did have some bitter battles was the Roche-Owens team -- but so did everybody else in the ACC. They were quite simply the dirtiest team in the history of ACC basketball (and there's not even any competition). If you don't know who John Ribock was, you should talk to a veteran from that era.

I don't see any need to schedule them. You think Maryland leaving the ACC has created hard feelings ... that was nothing to the bitterness of South Carolina's departure.

Let them enjoy life in the SEC. If we meet in tournaments -- either early season or postseason -- that's fine.

I, for one, would vote NEVER to schedeule the &()(&%ers.

MartyClark
06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Tom Owens?

Tom Riker, as I recall. He went on to play for the Knicks for about three years.

matt1
06-11-2013, 10:26 AM
The Duke South Carolina series was only hot for a brief period. While Duke and South Carolina were in the same conference from 1928-71, there really wasn't much of a rivalry -- Duke won 54 of 67 meetings until the Gary Gregor-Skip Harlicka-Jack Thompson swept the 1968 series and the John Roche-Tom Owens team (Riker only arrived a year later) swept the 1969 regular series (although Duke did beat South Carolina in the ACC Tournament that year).

Yeah, South Carolina worked up a good hate against Duke AD Eddie Cameron because supposedly he turned in SC in the Mike Grosso case -- turned out the investigation did prove they cheated ... they were penalized by both the ACC and the NCAA for their violations. And it was later revealed that they were turned in by the President of Clemson, not Cameron.

Duke did have some bitter battles was the Roche-Owens team -- but so did everybody else in the ACC. They were quite simply the dirtiest team in the history of ACC basketball (and there's not even any competition). If you don't know who John Ribock was, you should talk to a veteran from that era.

I don't see any need to schedule them. You think Maryland leaving the ACC has created hard feelings ... that was nothing to the bitterness of South Carolina's departure.

Let them enjoy life in the SEC. If we meet in tournaments -- either early season or postseason -- that's fine.

As a young Duke fan, I have no animosity towards South Carolina, but I can understand why older fans might have some.

MartyClark
06-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks. I love that historical context. I've met John Roche a couple of times. After playing for the Denver Nuggets he went to law school and spent a long career with a silk stocking, Denver firm. Seemed like a good guy.

Tappan Zee Devil
06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks. I love that historical context. I've met John Roche a couple of times. After playing for the Denver Nuggets he went to law school and spent a long career with a silk stocking, Denver firm. Seemed like a good guy.

Perhaps, but he was nasty and dirty as a bball player. The worst of NYC bball.

CameronDuke
06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Per DBR's front page, Duke will open the season November 18th, 2013 at Cameron when they host Norfolk State in the NIT Season Tipoff. Norfolk State had a noteworthy win in the 2012 NCAA Tournament as a 15 seed when they knocked off 2 seed Missouri (hours before 15 seed Lehigh knocked off 2 seed Duke).

Can't wait for November and the boys to run out the tunnel for this game and this season!

Go Duke!

pfrduke
06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Per DBR's front page, Duke will open the season November 18th, 2013 at Cameron when they host Norfolk State in the NIT Season Tipoff. Norfolk State had a noteworthy win in the 2012 NCAA Tournament as a 15 seed when they knocked off 2 seed Missouri (hours before 15 seed Lehigh knocked off 2 seed Duke).

Can't wait for November and the boys to run out the tunnel for this game and this season!

Go Duke!

I'm not sure that will be the season opener. My recollection is that the champions classic games are played earlier in November than that (my guess is Nov. 12). Also, the second round game of the PNIT will be against either ECU or Asheville, also in Cameron.

CameronDuke
06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
I believe you're correct about the Champions Classic game. That game may be before the game against Norfolk State. It will also be nice to play a North Carolina state school in the second game (ECU or UNC Asheville). I love when Duke can play state schools out of conference.

Go Duke!

pfrduke
06-14-2013, 08:56 AM
So, November is starting to round out. Here's what we know:

Nov. 8 - Davidson, Cameron
Nov. 12 - Kansas, United Center
Nov. 18 - Norfolk State, Cameron
Nov. 19 - East Carolina/UNC-Asheville, Cameron
Nov. 27* - Alabama/Rutgers - MSG
Nov. 29* - Arizona/Alabama/Rutgers - MSG
Dec. 3/4 - Michigan, Cameron

My money is on an additional home game in the Nov. 22-24 range (the Friday-Sunday before Thanksgiving).

*Have to win our two PNIT home games - the PNIT is one of the last (if not the last) 16-team pre-season tournaments that actually makes you earn your trip to the final rounds.

Olympic Fan
06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
So, November is starting to round out. Here's what we know:

Nov. 8 - Davidson, Cameron
Nov. 12 - Kansas, United Center
Nov. 18 - Norfolk State, Cameron
Nov. 19 - East Carolina/UNC-Asheville, Cameron
Nov. 27* - Alabama/Rutgers - MSG
Nov. 29* - Arizona/Alabama/Rutgers - MSG
Dec. 3/4 - Michigan, Cameron

My money is on an additional home game in the Nov. 22-24 range (the Friday-Sunday before Thanksgiving).

*Have to win our two PNIT home games - the PNIT is one of the last (if not the last) 16-team pre-season tournaments that actually makes you earn your trip to the final rounds.

Good job lining it up ... just one additional thought about the Preseason NIT.

If by some horrible miracle, Duke were to lose in Cameron to Norfolk State or UNC Asheville/ECU and NOT earn the trip to New York, the NIT would furnish two other teams -- teams that lost in another of the pods -- for two more Cameron games. That's what happened to Virginia last year when the Cavs lost a home pod game against Delaware and didn't get to go to New York. Every team in the field is guaranteed four games. The two extra games for Virginia were against Lamar and North Texas. That had a lot to do with Virginia missing the field last year because the four games Virginia ended up playing in the PNIT just killed their SOS.

Now, Duke's SOS is going to be okay anyway (Virginia was counting on the two New York games to bolster theirs), but I'd much rather see the Devils play Alabama and Arizona in MSG than two more patsies in Durham.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-18-2013, 03:35 PM
UCLA just released their schedule. Duke-UCLA is Thursday, December 19 at MSG. Interesting that they are shifting away from the weekend December game in metro-NY.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucla/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/schedule/schedule.pdf

duke2x
06-19-2013, 09:03 PM
We played Pitt for sure and maybe Gonzaga on a Thursday in MSG. I think it's a function of where Christmas and exam week fit on this year's calendar.

duke2x
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
FAU and Mike Jarvis visit Cameron on 11/15.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fau-blog/sfl-fau-201314-basketball-schedule-released-owls-to-take-on-duke-maryland-ucf-20130708,0,3234291.story

That leaves 4 non-conference games TBD and up to 6 possible slots:

1. Between the PNIT home and PNIT NYC games
2. Sat/Sun before exams.
3. Between exams and UCLA
4. Between UCLA and Christmas (unlikely, IMO).
5. After Christmas but before ACC season.
6. ACC bye week.

BD80
07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
6. ACC bye week.

That is Maryland's entire conference schedule ...

Tappan Zee Devil
07-08-2013, 11:50 PM
While you are right that the ACC owns all TV rights to all ACC games (at least they have first call on on ACC games. If the ACC elects not to televise a game, the team can market the game itself ... although for something like Duke at Syracuse, no chance the ACC passes).

However, ACC teams don't pool the home gate -- not even sure they pay the visits a flat fee. Syracuse certainly would make a lot of money by expanding to 50,000 seats for Duke's visit. That's 15,000 extra seats at what? $20 a ticket? Even $10 (because most will be bad seats) is $150,000. That's not chump change.

Are there that many people in that part of upstate NY? :)

jmck214
07-09-2013, 08:36 AM
We played Pitt for sure and maybe Gonzaga on a Thursday in MSG. I think it's a function of where Christmas and exam week fit on this year's calendar.

Gonzaga was a Saturday. I am surprised they want to go up against against Thursday Night Football. Seems like every sport tries to avoid that

blazindw
07-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Gonzaga was a Saturday. I am surprised they want to go up against against Thursday Night Football. Seems like every sport tries to avoid that

Gonzaga was a Saturday and Pitt was a Thursday. And back then, TNF was very small, with only 5 games on Thursdays and 3 on Saturdays. The week we played Pitt, I'm pretty sure there was a Saturday night game since it was the week before Christmas.

msdukie
07-09-2013, 10:53 PM

I'm certain the ACC is required per the league TV contract to broadcast every home football and men's basketball game taking place at an ACC school (incl. non conference), even if it is just ESPN3.

budwom
07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
The vicious Catamounts of Vermont are coming to Cameron in November i am told....they'll provide a nice early season hors d'oeuvre...

duke2x
07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
This has been a tough year for finding non-conference games. We still have 4 non-conference games that are TBD at the end of July.

Duke usually has released what ends up being the whole basketball schedule in the season ticket renewal brochure in early August. In a very understandable effort to cut costs, Duke stopped releasing that information by mail or online to low-level Iron Dukes like myself. If someone would post this information, I (and I imagine many other posters) would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BTW, Gonzaga was both a Thursday and Saturday.

msdukie
07-31-2013, 11:31 PM
This has been a tough year for finding non-conference games. We still have 4 non-conference games that are TBD at the end of July.

Duke usually has released what ends up being the whole basketball schedule in the season ticket renewal brochure in early August. In a very understandable effort to cut costs, Duke stopped releasing that information by mail or online to low-level Iron Dukes like myself. If someone would post this information, I (and I imagine many other posters) would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BTW, Gonzaga was both a Thursday and Saturday.

Supposedly, Duke is going to start selling winter break tickets on Friday, so we might get the nonconference portion of the schedule then. Think I saw this in an Iron Dukes tweet on Tuesday.

duke2x
08-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up on Twitter. There's no link on the web yet for sales tomorrow.

I finally found a link for Vermont. Per a local TV station, it looks like 11/24 is the date if you search the web enough. That date makes sense given that we play games on 11/18 and 11/19 and then the PNIT in MSG hopefully.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20130710/SPORTS0103/307100012/UVM-s-Pierson-suffers-leg-injury-out-six-months

As in past years, we scrimmage against the D2 champs. This year it's Drury on 11/2.

http://blogs.news-leader.com/collegesports/2013/07/31/drury-mens-basketball-team-releases-schedule/

duke2x
08-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm putting this here because I want to engage in some schedule-related speculation about the @Syracuse game. If this is true, the expanded seating screams College Game Day, probably during February Nielsens, to me at least. With 50,000 tickets available, we could have a 5 figure Duke fan count at the stadium if it's on a weekend.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-08-01/syracuse-vs-duke-game-carrier-dome-attendance-record-50000-fans-boeheim-coach-k

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22972103/could-syracuse-change-carrier-dome-setup-for-duke-game

duke2x
08-02-2013, 06:26 PM
The last 3 pieces of the non-conference puzzle on goduke.com are 12/16 Gardner-Webb, 12/28 E. Michigan, and 12/31 Elon in Greensboro.

Putting everything together:

11/8 Davidson
11/12 v. Kansas
11/15 FL Atlantic
11/18 Norfolk St.
11/19 ECU or UNC-A
11/24 Vermont
11/27 PNIT
11/29 PNIT
12/3 Michigan
12/16 Gardner-Webb
12/19 v. UCLA
12/28 E. Michigan
12/31 v. Elon

Duvall
08-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Two games on "Big Monday." (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87158/your-new-big-monday-schedule-is-here)

January 13
7 p.m. Virginia at Duke

January 27
7 p.m. Duke at Pittsburgh

msdukie
08-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Two games on "Big Monday." (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87158/your-new-big-monday-schedule-is-here)

January 13
7 p.m. Virginia at Duke

January 27
7 p.m. Duke at Pittsburgh

Bet I know what February 12 and March 8 are....

UrinalCake
08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Putting everything together:

So we'll play Kansas, Arizona (probably), and Michigan. Those are three definitely losable games. But besides that we have a bunch of likely blowouts. And no true road games, which is a little disappointing. We should be 12-1 or 11-2 fairly easily heading into the new year.

duke2x
08-07-2013, 11:07 PM
It's nice to get 2/18 games released. These Monday games could cause an advantage for teams playing the following weekend. Some speculation:

1. We will probably have our ACC bye the weekend before one of the two Monday games. The other will probably be an early game on Saturday.

2. UNC will have 4 days rest before coming to Cameron. Neither team usually receives more than 24 hours difference in rest, and the host team usually plays on the road. We probably play Tuesday on the road against a ESPN-U-caliber opponent like Wake or Clemson.

3. If we get stuck playing Maryland during "Rivalry Week" on Saturday, they will have 4 days rest v. 2 days rest (if we play UNC on Wednesday).

Dev11
08-08-2013, 09:07 AM
If we get stuck playing Maryland during "Rivalry Week" on Saturday, they will have 4 days rest v. 2 days rest (if we play UNC on Wednesday).

Hey, after this year, no more playing Maryland during Rivalry Week. Cool.

hurleyfor3
08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
The good news about Big Monday is 7 o'clock games. They have to be at 7, to accommodate the Big Midwestern Approximately Numbered Conference game at 9.

Dev11
08-08-2013, 02:57 PM
The good news about Big Monday is 7 o'clock games. They have to be at 7, to accommodate the Big Midwestern Approximately Numbered Conference game at 9.

Well, except for you and me and sagegrouse. Those are the dreaded 5:00 games.

More 9:00 EST games! *ducks*

hurleyfor3
08-08-2013, 03:01 PM

But if you're spending the day at Keystone, and last chair's at 4...

flyingdutchdevil
08-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Anyone have any idea if a) we play BC twice and b) if not, do they place in Cameron or Boston?

Just moved up north and wanted to know if I could catch a game.

tommy
08-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Yeah and for us out here those are 4 PM starts. More 9 EST's cuz it's all about me.

Dev11
08-08-2013, 03:21 PM
But if you're spending the day at Keystone, and last chair's at 4...

...I'll see you at Pug Ryan's for tipoff.

Dev11
08-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Anyone have any idea if a) we play BC twice and b) if not, do they place in Cameron or Boston?

Just moved up north and wanted to know if I could catch a game.

We play at BC this year. Reference the first page of this thread.

flyingdutchdevil
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
We play at BC this year. Reference the first page of this thread.

Wonderful. Thank you.

Olympic Fan
08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
3. If we get stuck playing Maryland during "Rivalry Week" on Saturday, they will have 4 days rest v. 2 days rest (if we play UNC on Wednesday).

While agree that having to play Maryland AND North Carolina during rivalry week is a pain (and a disadvantage), at least its over.

We only play them once this year -- and it's in Cameron.

After that, no more Terps unless it's in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge or in the NCAA Tournament.

Dev11
08-12-2013, 09:39 PM
The game against Kansas goes on at 10 eastern, and that is dependent on the UK-MSU game ending on time. Who's excited for some late night basketball?!

Duvall
08-14-2013, 11:04 AM
The College GameDay slate is out. (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87326/espns-gameday-schedule-is-strong)

Duke at Syracuse on Feb. 1, and UNC at Duke on March 8.

porkpa
08-19-2013, 05:36 AM
We are approaching the end of August and still no schedule posted. Can we play without one?

Indoor66
08-19-2013, 07:41 AM
We are approaching the end of August and still no schedule posted. Can we play without one?

Only two months or so until games start. What is the rush? The teams will be where they are supposed to be. :cool:

Dev11
08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

The last few years, it hasn't come out until the beginning of September. We have the entire non-con slate and the ACC matchups, with 4 dates per releases from ESPN for Gameday and Big Monday.

Patience. We'll get the rest of the ACC schedule soon enough, and then we can gripe about all of our short rest.

Speaking of short rest, we play at Pitt on a Monday at the end of January and then at Syracuse that Saturday for the 'biggest game ever at the Carrier Dome.' That would be a good time to have an unusually long break between games. I hope the schedule czars don't throw a Wednesday or Thursday night game in the middle of that.

sagegrouse
08-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Let us note: it is less than two months until Countdown to Craziness. Moreover, practice is allowed to begin on or about the first of October.

Tempus fugit, et cetera. And I will keep you posted when we have the first frost delay on the golf course here in the Rockies. It should be soon!

sagegrouse

Duvall
08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
The league schedule isn't even late yet. (http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/08/acc_basketball_answering_the_c.html)

Dev11
08-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Let us note: it is less than two months until Countdown to Craziness. Moreover, practice is allowed to begin on or about the first of October.

Tempus fugit, et cetera. And I will keep you posted when we have the first frost delay on the golf course here in the Rockies. It should be soon!

sagegrouse

Countdown to Craziness happens right around the first day of Front Range ski season. Both are important seasonal markers.

pfrduke
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
The last few years, it hasn't come out until the beginning of September. We have the entire non-con slate and the ACC matchups, with 4 dates per releases from ESPN for Gameday and Big Monday.

Patience. We'll get the rest of the ACC schedule soon enough, and then we can gripe about all of our short rest.

Speaking of short rest, we play at Pitt on a Monday at the end of January and then at Syracuse that Saturday for the 'biggest game ever at the Carrier Dome.' That would be a good time to have an unusually long break between games. I hope the schedule czars don't throw a Wednesday or Thursday night game in the middle of that.

Once conference season gets underway, we have one weekday (M-Th) and one weekend (Sa-Su) game per week. So if those games are, in fact, in the same week, that will be long rest pre-Cuse.

Dev11
08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Per a tweet from Miami Basketball, their schedule is coming out tomorrow, so that should be all the ACC schedules coming out tomorrow. The speculation will come to an end!

Edit: actually came from somebody else in the program, but still, reliable enough

arydolphin
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Via Twitter:
@Duke_MBB
Anyone anxious to see Duke's 2013-14 MBB Schedule? Look for it on http://GoDuke.com tomorrow afternoon. #goduke #ACC #dukembbschedule

DukieInKansas
08-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know about seating in Chicago? If I can get 300 level tickets through Duke - will they be worth it? Other option is to try through friend at KU with no guarantee of where the seats will be. Would much rather be seated in a Duke section than a KU section but the KU folks traveling with me may not feel that way. ;)

jmck214
08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
According to Twitter the "schedule is official today" I hope that means it gets released today

Dev11
08-22-2013, 03:22 PM
DukeBluePlanet tweeted out a link to a picture of the schedule. No more Sundays in the ACC, at least for Duke. Lots of Tuesdays and Saturdays.