PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds All American Game and Festivities

Ichabod Drain
04-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Didn't see a thread on this so...

The McDonalds All American Game is tomorrow night (Wednesday) on ESPN at 9:30 PM. Soon to be Duke freshmen Jabari Parker and Matt Jones will be participating in the game, both on the West Team. Here are the entire lineups.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/gamescenter/2013-Team.html

Last night was the 3-point shootout and dunk competition. Matt Jones came in second in the 3 point contest and Jabari Parker came in 3rd (I believe, they never really showed the standings) in the dunk contest. Jabari looked really good, had some pretty cool dunks. He looked to be in a lot better basketball shape than he was earlier in the season coming off the injury.

Here are some highlights from the Dunk contest.

http://youtu.be/dSoFfeIhvpA

Interestingly enough, Wiggins didn't win the dunk contest, though he probably had the best dunk of the night with a 360 between the legs slam. Chris Walker (Florida) won the contest.

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Didn't see a thread on this so...

The McDonalds All American Game is tomorrow night (Wednesday) on ESPN at 9:30 PM. Soon to be Duke freshmen Jabari Parker and Matt Jones will be participating in the game, both on the West Team. Here are the entire lineups.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/gamescenter/2013-Team.html

Last night was the 3-point shootout and dunk competition. Matt Jones came in second in the 3 point contest and Jabari Parker came in 3rd (I believe, they never really showed the standings) in the dunk contest. Jabari looked really good, had some pretty cool dunks. He looked to be in a lot better basketball shape than he was earlier in the season coming off the injury.

Here are some highlights from the Dunk contest.

http://youtu.be/dSoFfeIhvpA

Interestingly enough, Wiggins didn't win the dunk contest, though he probably had the best dunk of the night with a 360 between the legs slam. Chris Walker (Florida) won the contest.

Looking forward to the game. Jabari has impressed may who have watched him- he is getting his bounce back. Continues to be the most complete player there. Two UNC recruits are said to be a bit raw. Wiggins is impressing as well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/highschool/news/20130402/mcdonalds-all-america-game-west-team-breakdown/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/highschool/news/20130402/mcdonalds-all-america-game-east-team-breakdown/index.html

Gthoma2a
04-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I don't know much about Jerry Meyer, but I like him for this.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 1h
@JohnFinom Kennedy Meeks too heavy. Cant keep up w athletic bigs on east. UNC isnt a good fit for him. Will have to really speed up #McDAAG

Then, there is this.

Jonathan Givony‏@DraftExpress
Harrison twins kind of mailed it in at McDonald's the past two days from what I've seen. Definitely not their best showing. #mcdaa

Bad body language, bad shot-selection, overdribbling, not getting back on D, only passing to each other. Not how you make an impression.

Not everyone is getting negative reviews. Here is an article talking about Jabari.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2013/04/01/jabari-parker-shines-as-mcdonalds-all-american-festivities-begin/

Newton_14
04-02-2013, 10:33 PM

@JohnFinom Kennedy Meeks too heavy. Cant keep up w athletic bigs on east. UNC isnt a good fit for him. Will have to really speed up #McDAAG

Then, there is this.

Harrison twins kind of mailed it in at McDonald's the past two days from what I've seen. Definitely not their best showing. #mcdaa

Bad body language, bad shot-selection, overdribbling, not getting back on D, only passing to each other. Not how you make an impression.

Not everyone is getting negative reviews. Here is an article talking about Jabari.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2013/04/01/jabari-parker-shines-as-mcdonalds-all-american-festivities-begin/

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. How is it that Kennedy Meeks made the squad, yet Semi didn't? Still can't get over that.

Gthoma2a
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. How is it that Kennedy Meeks made the squad, yet Semi didn't? Still can't get over that.

Not a clue. I have been complaining about that since it started. It has to be a positional demand thing. Maybe you HAVE to pick a center, despite not really wanting to. Semi's numbers, and athleticism, are off the charts.

whereinthehellami
04-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Here is some video from practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaFND7s2kM). Jones is number 14 and Parker is #22. I didn't see too much from Jones but Parker has a block, a three, and a nice reverse layup. Hicks of UNC is #4. I didn't see Meeks, figured he would be easy to spot:cool:

I'm looking forward to the game tonight. The word is that for an all star game the practices have been pretty physical and competitive. This is a pretty good class and I'll be curious to see how Parker does with the all of the wildcats on the roster. Does he rise to the occasion of the big lights and the rivalry with Wiggins (who is the real number 1?). Is he the type of player who can be commanding and selfish enough to get his when you know the Kentucky players will be looking out for themselves? Duke needs him to be.

grad_devil
04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Here is some video from practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaFND7s2kM). Jones is number 14 and Parker is #22. I didn't see too much from Jones but Parker has a block, a three, and a nice reverse layup. Hicks of UNC is #4. I didn't see Meeks, figured he would be easy to spot:cool:

Jabari is so polished, it's unbelievable.

The post move he puts on around 2:34 into the video has me salivating.

Son of Jarhead
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The girls Mickey D's game is on ESPN now. Duke has three players in the game, Rebecca Greenwell, Oderah Chidom, & Kendall Cooper. Unfortunately, Rebecca Greenwell landed hard on her knee and left the game. She had torn her ACL last year in the same knee, but had recovered from the surgery well. Hopefully, it is not a serious reinjury. Let's send positive thoughts towards this future Blue Devil.

J4Kop99
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Looking forward to seeing Jabari Parker and Mr. Jones tonight.

Native
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Jabari showing out with two early blocks.

FerryFor50
04-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Jabari showing out with two early blocks.

Also challenged the Selden dunk attempt, which NO ONE usually does in these games.

Gthoma2a
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I haven't seen any offense yet, but the D looks pretty good.

FerryFor50
04-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I haven't seen any offense yet, but the D looks pretty good.

From Jabari?

That's because the Harrison twins keep dominating the ball. Have fun with that Kentucky!

Gthoma2a
04-03-2013, 09:47 PM
From Jabari?

That's because the Harrison twins keep dominating the ball. Have fun with that Kentucky!

I know. I just really want him to get the Player of the Game award. When I read that tweet about the Harrison twins, I shared it with a guy I work with that is a huge Kentucky fan. I look forward to ragging him about that in the morning. I told him it was like they had already played at Kentucky for a year.

FerryFor50
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I know. I just really want him to get the Player of the Game award. When I read that tweet about the Harrison twins, I shared it with a guy I work with that is a huge Kentucky fan. I look forward to ragging him about that in the morning. I told him it was like they had already played at Kentucky for a year.

What tweet? Fill us in!

Or was it the one in this thread? :)

Gthoma2a
04-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Then, there is this.

The one up here from Jonathan Givony. It was a thing of beauty. I may have loved the one about Kennedy Meeks even more.

buddy
04-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Are these announcers terrible or what? They talk and talk about everything but the game. Why not try something new and different and actually describe what is going on?

Gthoma2a
04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Are these announcers terrible or what? They talk and talk about everything but the game. Why not try something new and different and actually describe what is going on?

I'm just looking for a box score online because I'm not getting anything from them.

sagegrouse
04-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Jason Williams is preoccupied because he just tweeted that Jabari Parker has Duke at the top of his list.

sagegrouse

FerryFor50
04-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Well one is Jay Williams. One is Jalen Rose. Not sure who the other guy is.

dukelifer
04-03-2013, 10:16 PM

Well not sure if what they are watching is actually basketball- rather a dunk fest with little D

Newton_14
04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Nice West Uni's, so easy to read the frickin players names. Way to go Addidas... again..

6th Man
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Nice West Uni's, so easy to read the frickin players names. Way to go Addidas... again..

I was just wondering which was uglier...the game or the jerseys?

FerryFor50
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Kentucky recruits are looking pretty darn good.

Harrison twins aren't missing shots. Randle just had a nice reverse alley oop. Dakari Johnson is scoring.

Parker can't hit anything but is playing solid D (other than Wiggins blowing by him).

Aaron Gordon is looking as good as advertised, as is Wiggins.

Newton_14
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I was just wondering which was uglier...the game or the jerseys?

Agree. Which is why the Nike Hoop Summit is a far superior game than this. I do love watching Jabari though. He is like a PG/SF/PF/Back to the Basket Center all rolled into one superb body. This guy is going to dominate in a Duke uni. He will be very difficult to defend.

I am beyond uber impressed with his game and skill set.

Matt Jones looks pretty good too. He appears to have a defensive skill set as well as a sweet stroke. Going to be a player.

subzero02
04-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I am looking to see how parker and hood play off of each other... Marshall, there is more than enoug room for you if develop defensively

roywhite
04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Agree. Which is why the Nike Hoop Summit is a far superior game than this. I do love watching Jabari though. He is like a PG/SF/PF/Back to the Basket Center all rolled into one superb body. This guy is going to dominate in a Duke uni. He will be very difficult to defend.

I am beyond uber impressed with his game and skill set.

Matt Jones looks pretty good too. He appears to have a defensive skill set as well as a sweet stroke. Going to be a player.

On Parker -- Coach K has got to be rubbing his hands just thinking of how many ways he can use this young man's talents

On Jones -- agree; he looks like a player; see him listed at 6'5" so a shade taller than Rasheed; with Matt's length and good athletic ability, he could very well become a good defender. No better way to find playing time than to learn and play Duke defense.

noworries
04-03-2013, 11:16 PM
On Parker -- Coach K has got to be rubbing his hands just thinking of how many ways he can use this young man's talents

On Jones -- agree; he looks like a player; see him listed at 6'5" so a shade taller than Rasheed; with Matt's length and good athletic ability, he could very well become a good defender. No better way to find playing time than to learn and play Duke defense.

Was thinking that as well...fouled the guy on that last possession but looks like the ability is there. Also has a smooth stroke.

mo.st.dukie
04-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Kentucky recruits are looking pretty darn good.

Harrison twins aren't missing shots. Randle just had a nice reverse alley oop. Dakari Johnson is scoring.

Parker can't hit anything but is playing solid D (other than Wiggins blowing by him).

Aaron Gordon is looking as good as advertised, as is Wiggins.

Greg Paulus looked like the second coming of Bobby Hurley in the 05 game. Josh Selby looked better than Kyrie in 2010.

There is nothing that should be taken away from this "game"

luburch
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
If there is anything I have learned from this game, it's that you can't learn anything from this game.

BigZ
04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
I remrmber after watching the 2005 game and seeing McRoberts that Duke was a lock to win the national title with JJ and Shelden returning.

Olympic Fan
04-04-2013, 12:46 AM
http://www.mcdepk.com/2013allamericangames/media/BoysGameStats.html

Parker with 10 points on 4-13 shooting; 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals in 21 minutes

Gordon (Arizona bound) won the MVP

Kedsy
04-04-2013, 01:26 AM
I remrmber after watching the 2005 game and seeing McRoberts that Duke was a lock to win the national title with JJ and Shelden returning.

Well, in McBob's freshman year, Duke was the #1 overall seed coming into the NCAA tournament, so I'm not sure I understand your point here.

Lord Ash
04-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Josh and Greg looked like the second coming of Bobby and Christian in their game... Wasn't Josh's first points on a three assisted from Greg? And didn't Greg go into the stands or a cheerleader looking for a ball, or was that a different game? I do remember he had some crazy assists. I also remember calling my buddy and the two of us gleefully giggling about several upcoming titles.

dukelifer
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
If there is anything I have learned from this game, it's that you can't learn anything from this game.
Well I learned what I already knew. Parker is incredibly gifted - Wiggins is a freak athlete who can shoot and if UNC gets him- they will be hard to stop.

roywhite
04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
http://www.mcdepk.com/2013allamericangames/media/BoysGameStats.html

Parker with 10 points on 4-13 shooting; 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals in 21 minutes

Gordon (Arizona bound) won the MVP

Didn't see great outside shooting; neither team was effective from 3-point line, nor was there great point guard play or pure low post play.

Looks like the top end of this class consists of versatile athletic guys in the 6'5" to 6'9" range. Gordon, Wiggins, and Parker are three that have obvious talent.

whereinthehellami
04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Cue Sir Charles. This was some turrible turrible basketball. and the unis made it very hard to watch. beyond ugly and you couldn't even read the numbers. Only a handful of shots made, most of the scoring was dunks and even then they collectively missed alot. hard to watch.

i didn't see any player stand out like in some years past, despite the efforts to make Wiggins that kind of star. Sure he has plus plus athleticism but for the best HS player since Lebron, I expected to see more skills, domination.

Color me unimpressed with the Kentucky recruits also. The Harrison twins are ball hogs and Randle didn't strike me as the relentless force he was sold as. I didn't even notice him for most of the game. Their big guy is a big guy, kinda of slow with limited skills. and their other 2 recruits didn't really do anything to make me notice them.

Hicks for UNC looked fluid and athletic when running but he put up some really ugly bricks. and looked awkward shooting. Meeks for UNC might have been the worst looking Mickey D i have had the unfortunate pleasure to watch. This kid looks a year away from physically being able to even practice in the ACC let alone play in the ACC.

Parker had a tough game also. I thought he looked good bringing the ball up the court, especially in transition at full speed. I liked the size he had compared to alot of the other guys, good length with a wide base. He looked physically more ready than most of the other kids.

Saratoga2
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Clearly these games are about the kids running up and down the floor and launching shot after shot in order to rack up big numbers for themselves. It's a fault of the format and concept and I doubt it is likely to change. With so many players that the color guys couldn't identify (except the projected stars) the color guys don't even attempt play by play and frankly with so many lanky quick kids on the floor together, I wasn't even able to identiy Matt Jones out there.

I thought there was a trend, as there seems to be more and more 6'5" and above kids who can handle the ball very well and are quick enough to play guard in college ball. Teams including Duke need to adjust and get more size into the guard lineup and I can see that happening. I guess there were 24 guys on the teams combined and i didn't see one white or hispanic kid on the teams. I guess people who make the decision are looking for a particular kind of athlete.

Having Kentucky get 6 McDonald all-americans seems a bit ridiculous. What Calipari has to offer is a quick trip to the pros. You wonder what he tells the kids about study expectations, etc.

As far as Jabari's play goes, I thought he showed excellent mobility, especially in one trip to the basket. His shooting was dreadful, but that was to be expected in a game like this. He will be a good one.

GGLC
04-04-2013, 09:26 AM
I loved the play where Jabari saved the ball from going out of bounds at one end of the court by tossing it over his shoulder (I think) the entire length of the court to Aaron Gordon -- that was the play where Gordon was rimchecked badly on his dunk attempt. Phenomenal court vision by Jabari.

The Adidas uniforms could not have been worse. An All-Star game where it's difficult to read the players' names and numbers? Absurd.

MCFinARL
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Having Kentucky get 6 McDonald all-americans seems a bit ridiculous. What Calipari has to offer is a quick trip to the pros. You wonder what he tells the kids about study expectations, etc.

Are you suggesting that it's surprising that someone who is offering a quick trip to the pros could attract 6 Mickey D's? To me that is the opposite of surprising. He has pretty straightforwardly designed his program to be the way station for players who would go straight to the NBA if they could--they get an opportunity to showcase themselves, practice against and play with other very good players, and if team chemistry develops, maybe win a lot of college games along the way. I'm guessing what he tells them about study expectations is that they have to study hard enough to remain eligible for as long as they plan to stay at Kentucky--which for many of them would mean getting successfully through one semester.

As a fan of the old-fashioned "student athlete" (which I realize is mostly a fantasy these days, at least insofar as it suggests that student comes first and then athlete), I don't especially like this. But I give Calipari credit for seeing an opportunity in the current rules and taking advantage of it, in a straightforward way. In that sense, he is clearly providing a useful service to the players he attracts; it's just not a service that has anything to do with college education.

dukelifer
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Are you suggesting that it's surprising that someone who is offering a quick trip to the pros could attract 6 Mickey D's? To me that is the opposite of surprising. He has pretty straightforwardly designed his program to be the way station for players who would go straight to the NBA if they could--they get an opportunity to showcase themselves, practice against and play with other very good players, and if team chemistry develops, maybe win a lot of college games along the way. I'm guessing what he tells them about study expectations is that they have to study hard enough to remain eligible for as long as they plan to stay at Kentucky--which for many of them would mean getting successfully through one semester.

As a fan of the old-fashioned "student athlete" (which I realize is mostly a fantasy these days, at least insofar as it suggests that student comes first and then athlete), I don't especially like this. But I give Calipari credit for seeing an opportunity in the current rules and taking advantage of it, in a straightforward way. In that sense, he is clearly providing a useful service to the players he attracts; it's just not a service that has anything to do with college education.

I think with Wiggins, they have a good chance to win a NC. Without Wiggins, who knows. There is talent for sure but one can see challenges ahead managing those egos and the playing time. The Harrison kids seemed to be looking out for themselves in this game. I expect that Cal will have his hands full with them - particularly if he has to sit one. I am not sure Wiggins is a leader- that remains to be seen- but the kid is a phenom and barring injury - will be very hard to contain in the college game. We will see where he ends up.

Olympic Fan
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Dave Telep has a column up about the game. It's an Insider piece so I can't link.

To paraphrase, Dave suggests that Wiggins is distracted by his turmoil over his decision. He contrasts his erratic performance with Gordon, who cleared his mind by making his decision the day before the game. I would also argue (this is my opinion, not Dave's) that the game was ideally suited for Gordon's skills -- he's a great run and jump athlete. This kind of game rewards a guy who can explode in transition -- it's hell on a spot up shooter (Jones) or a smart, complete player who tries to fit his game into a team concept (Parker). Gordon isn't a great shooter or ballhander -- two issues that he'll need to improve to be a great college player.

Dave opined that while Wiggins has the most upside in the class that Parker is -- at this moment -- the best player in the class,.

He also had some kind words to say about the UNC-bound Hicks. Said he loved the kid's game, but believes he is currently too frail to excel against collegiate players. In time, he thinks Hicks will be very good.

BD80
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Dave Telep ... had some kind words to say about the UNC-bound Hicks. Said he loved the kid's game, but believes he is currently too frail to excel against collegiate players. In time, he thinks Hicks will be very good.

Hopefully 2 or 3 years after he is drafted ...

roywhite
04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Dave Telep has a column up about the game. It's an Insider piece so I can't link.

To paraphrase, Dave suggests that Wiggins is distracted by his turmoil over his decision. He contrasts his erratic performance with Gordon, who cleared his mind by making his decision the day before the game. I would also argue (this is my opinion, not Dave's) that the game was ideally suited for Gordon's skills -- he's a great run and jump athlete. This kind of game rewards a guy who can explode in transition -- it's hell on a spot up shooter (Jones) or a smart, complete player who tries to fit his game into a team concept (Parker). Gordon isn't a great shooter or ballhander -- two issues that he'll need to improve to be a great college player.

Dave opined that while Wiggins has the most upside in the class that Parker is -- at this moment -- the best player in the class,.

He also had some kind words to say about the UNC-bound Hicks. Said he loved the kid's game, but believes he is currently too frail to excel against collegiate players. In time, he thinks Hicks will be very good.

Thanks for the comments from Telep.
On Hicks, he's not as publicized as some of the big names in the 2013 class, but could indeed be very good.

Webb's Isaiah Hicks NC Gatorade Player of the Year

(http://www.wxii12.com/Webb-s-Isaiah-Hicks-NC-Gatorade-Player-of-the-Year/-/9678472/19554774/-/4dpci9/-/index.html)
His state championship game performance of 34 points, 30 rebounds, and 7 blocks was phenomenal.

NovaScotian
04-04-2013, 04:34 PM
...the UNC-bound Hicks...

hey, wait a minute, they may not be the most cultured school, but they're a far cry from ncsu

TruBlu
04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
hey, wait a minute, they may not be the most cultured school, but they're a far cry from ncsu

That is mean and nasty. (I like mean and nasty.):)

MCFinARL
04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I think with Wiggins, they have a good chance to win a NC. Without Wiggins, who knows. There is talent for sure but one can see challenges ahead managing those egos and the playing time. The Harrison kids seemed to be looking out for themselves in this game. I expect that Cal will have his hands full with them - particularly if he has to sit one. I am not sure Wiggins is a leader- that remains to be seen- but the kid is a phenom and barring injury - will be very hard to contain in the college game. We will see where he ends up.

Yes, this makes sense to me. Obviously, even with Wiggins there are no guarantees, though at that point the talent level would be sky high, especially with Poythress, Cauley-Stein and Wiltjer already saying they are coming back. But getting these kids to mesh into a team, well--calling Phil Jackson. Not every top-level recruit has the maturity and team orientation of Anthony Davis (who may have been helped by the fact that he was a little bit of a late bloomer and thus hadn't been hearing that he was all that since he was 11). If they want to work as a team, they can be great even without Wiggins; if not, they could crash and burn again next year.

Zephyrius
04-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes, this makes sense to me. Obviously, even with Wiggins there are no guarantees, though at that point the talent level would be sky high, especially with Poythress, Cauley-Stein and Wiltjer already saying they are coming back. But getting these kids to mesh into a team, well--calling Phil Jackson. Not every top-level recruit has the maturity and team orientation of Anthony Davis (who may have been helped by the fact that he was a little bit of a late bloomer and thus hadn't been hearing that he was all that since he was 11). If they want to work as a team, they can be great even without Wiggins; if not, they could crash and burn again next year.

Even if they "crash and burn" I feel that with their talent level it would be a far gentler crash. Furthermore, I feel like Calipari and those returning have learned a lesson from this year's results. At the end of the day Calipari doesn't want to embarrass himself like he did this year, so he'll change his coaching style next year i'm sure. Furthermore, in any game I watched it seemed like Poythress was disinterested, but the fact that he has decided to stay another year is telling of his growing maturity. I feel like next year's team could easily range between good and really good. How well they mesh will determine whether they're great or not.

roywhite
04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Even if they "crash and burn" I feel that with their talent level it would be a far gentler crash. Furthermore, I feel like Calipari and those returning have learned a lesson from this year's results. At the end of the day Calipari doesn't want to embarrass himself like he did this year, so he'll change his coaching style next year i'm sure. Furthermore, in any game I watched it seemed like Poythress was disinterested, but the fact that he has decided to stay another year is telling of his growing maturity. I feel like next year's team could easily range between good and really good. How well they mesh will determine whether they're great or not.

Eh.....yawn on Kentucky.

We know they'll have a ton of highly recruited young talent. We don't know if they'll fit together well or not; an NCAA title followed by a 1st round NIT loss to Robert Morris illustrates a wide range of possible outcomes. Won't know until we're well into next season how it will go for them.

Plenty of talent at Duke and good chemistry likely for 2013-14 (or most years for that matter); rather talk Duke hoops than Kentucky, or even discuss McDonald's impressions as the thread title indicates. And we already have a Kentucky news thread, for those than can't get enough Coach Cal and friends.

AlaskanAssassin
04-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but check out Duke vs. UNC Smackdown part 7! Jabari playing the 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3Yc6-wSLQ&list=UURUErR61S_Fl8AFMdRtJ6kw&index=13

jipops
04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but check out Duke vs. UNC Smackdown part 7! Jabari playing the 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3Yc6-wSLQ&list=UURUErR61S_Fl8AFMdRtJ6kw&index=13

I hope Marshall watches this.

AceDukie77
04-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I sure hope Marshall watches this..... if this doesn't provide some motivation for him to work out like a maniac this summer and be prepared to come out next year and kick UNC's A.. S I don't know what will! Can't wait to see our beatdowns of UNC next year.

FerryFor50
04-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I sure hope Marshall watches this..... if this doesn't provide some motivation for him to work out like a maniac this summer and be prepared to come out next year and kick UNC's A.. S I don't know what will! Can't wait to see our beatdowns of UNC next year.

I don't get how Meeks can think Mason has talent but seems to think Marshall is going to be some scrub...

Guess we'll see next year. I'm curious how much playing time an out of shape 5 with little outside shooting touch gets when there are 3 bigs ahead of him right now...

MCFinARL
04-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Gotta say, none of these guys are especially good smack talkers. The repetition of Marshall's name, with no actual attached comments, is the only thing that even comes close, and it's pretty tame. No comparison to the over-the-top Irving-Barnes-Bullock outing.

But that actually makes me pretty happy--all four of these kids seem like pretty nice guys, as far as one can tell.

flyingdutchdevil
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't get how Meeks can think Mason has talent but seems to think Marshall is going to be some scrub...

Guess we'll see next year. I'm curious how much playing time an out of shape 5 with little outside shooting touch gets when there are 3 bigs ahead of him right now...

Actually, I'd say that's pretty easy: Mason has proved his talent on the court, Marshall hasn't. If I were an outsider, I would probably think the same thing. But, I have high hopes for Plumlee junior.

flyingdutchdevil
04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
I hope Marshall watches this.

Side note - Meeks is a big, big boy. He's gonna get a lot of [negative] fan attention next year...

BigWil06
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Side note - Meeks is a big, big boy. He's gonna get a lot of [negative] fan attention next year...

It's obvious Meeks is still hurting b/c Duke didn't recruit him and that's one of the reasons he can't stop talking about Marshall.

jv001
04-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Meeks better bring his "A" game to Cameron and not cheeseburgers, because the Crazies will have a good time with this overweight 5 If I'm Marshall I would take this as a personal challenge. Grow some gonads and work my rear off this summer. GoDuke!

Saratoga2
04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Meeks better bring his "A" game to Cameron and not cheeseburgers, because the Crazies will have a good time with this overweight 5 If I'm Marshall I would take this as a personal challenge. Grow some gonads and work my rear off this summer. GoDuke!

Marshall's got size while Meeks has girth. Marshall is poised to really improve his game and you can't teach his size, so all o Meeks talk is just so much hot air.

wk2109
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think Meeks was talking trash about Marshall -- he was just saying that Marshall's the only returning big guy on the team and that Jabari would need to play down low.

Son of Jarhead
04-05-2013, 07:39 PM
The girls Mickey D's game is on ESPN now. Duke has three players in the game, Rebecca Greenwell, Oderah Chidom, & Kendall Cooper. Unfortunately, Rebecca Greenwell landed hard on her knee and left the game. She had torn her ACL last year in the same knee, but had recovered from the surgery well. Hopefully, it is not a serious reinjury. Let's send positive thoughts towards this future Blue Devil.

Rebecca talks after McDonald's game about her injury: http://www.usatodayhss.com/newalbany/videos/video/0000013d-d2ea-d4ff-adbd-d7eba0b10000

ncexnyc
04-05-2013, 09:03 PM

You're being very kind to Mr. Meeks. The kid is a couple of donuts shy of 300 lbs from the look of it.

ncexnyc
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Greg Paulus looked like the second coming of Bobby Hurley in the 05 game. Josh Selby looked better than Kyrie in 2010.

There is nothing that should be taken away from this "game"
It appears you and I watched a totally different game in 2010. Kyrie played exceptionally well in all of the H.S games that year and I recall that on this very board I posted how he was doing things the other PG's attempted to do, but only he was capable of doing, namely splitting multiple defenders off the dribble.

As for Greg Paulus, he did really well during his first season. I guess being surrounded by two extremely talented players such as JJ and the Landlord had something to do with that. Greg was never a physically gifted player and injuries surely hurt his career. Both Greg and McBob often get a raw deal on this board.

oldnavy
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
The question I have about Meeks is will he be able to play at Roy's preferred pace for more than a couple of minutes at a time... he may very well be able to, but that is the first thing I will be looking for when they take the court next year.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised with MP3 next year. I know that he hasn't show much yet, but with a full summer and fall practice yet to come, I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't a very serviceable 5 for us. Besides, he has already promised Mason to break Mason's dunk record, so he has some motivation!!