PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters

knights68
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I love the show Mythbusters. Are there any things that you would like them to test?
Did you catch the Mentos and Coke test? Cool, I never knew!!!

riverside6
08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I love the show Mythbusters. Are there any things that you would like them to test?
Playing and coaching baseball, I LOVED the baseball myth show. One thing in particular that was great was they showed how the airflow around a baseball controls why pitches do what they do in the air.

My myth is...with similar posting frequency, is knights68 actually EarlJam?

merry
08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
My son loves this show and is always trying to educate me about the various myths that have been busted or not. For about a month he nagged me to drive with the windows down instead of using the AC thanks to their tests on which was more fuel efficient. Then when the temperature started topping 100 on a regular basis he quit nagging.

Is there a way to nominate myths to be tested or are you just sarting conversation? Also, did you hear the interview with the two guys a month or so ago on NPR? It was pretty interesting. The NPR web site also has the video of their test proving that someone singing could in fact break glass:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10255528

DevilWolf
08-22-2007, 09:27 AM
^ That was one of the coolest shows ever. That and the "death ray" episode.

I also thought it was cool when they busted the myth that Roy Williams could win with his own players. Oh wait, nevermind that was a different show on CBS last March.

riverside6
08-22-2007, 09:33 AM

I also thought it was cool when they busted the myth that Roy Williams could win with his own players. Oh wait, nevermind that was a different show on CBS last March.
ooooh, zing!

TillyGalore
08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
^ I also thought it was cool when they busted the myth that Roy Williams could win with his own players. Oh wait, nevermind that was a different show on CBS last March.

I think this should be the POTW!!!

knights68
08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Nope, just a fan of EJ and my attempt at imitation, which is the sincerest form of flattery.
Plus the postings help pass the time along. Distractions can be a wonderful thing!! ;)

-jk
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM

I think EarlJam is Jason Evans' alter ego.

Jason was embarrassed by his post counts, and wanted to use another name to keep the totals down. He also wanted to distance himself from some of the more inane polls.

;)

-jk

Shammrog
08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
The Mythbusters guys have my dream job. I wonder how to get into that...

Shammrog
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM
The Mythbusters guys have my dream job. I wonder how to get into that...

But even if I don't, at least I can get 100 posts and stop being a "Bench Warmer."

Shammrog
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM
But even if I don't, at least I can get 100 posts and stop being a "Bench Warmer."

Or, maybe not.

hurleyfor3
08-22-2007, 10:29 AM

And it's still a myth.

TillyGalore
08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
My son loves this show and is always trying to educate me about the various myths that have been busted or not. For about a month he nagged me to drive with the windows down instead of using the AC thanks to their tests on which was more fuel efficient. Then when the temperature started topping 100 on a regular basis he quit nagging.

Seriously! They discovered that you actually conserve gas by driving with your windows down? If that's the case I'm really bummed. If I drive to work with the windows down, there goes all my good hair days. :(

Indoor66
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Seriously! They discovered that you actually conserve gas by driving with your windows down? If that's the case I'm really bummed. If I drive to work with the windows down, there goes all my good hair days. :(

Could be that you conserve gas with the windows down because the A/C is off? :confused:

Indoor66
08-22-2007, 10:55 AM

You'll never be a Bench Warmer to me. :D

EarlJam
08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd like to know if when you say "Bloody Mary" three times in the mirror (or how ever many times it is) at night if she will really appear to kill you.

I'm too afraid to test this on my own.

-EarlJam, EarlJam, EarlJam

Indoor66
08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd like to know if when you say "Bloody Mary" three times in the mirror (or how ever many times it is) at night if she will really appear to kill you.

I'm too afraid to test this on my own.

-EarlJam, EarlJam, EarlJam

Absolutely true. I have seen it tested at least a half-dozen times and attended a funeral each time.

JasonEvans
08-22-2007, 11:37 AM

What did they show about Diet Coke and Mentos? I missed that? I know it works because I have done it myself. What myth did they try to prove or disprove about it?

-Jason "you know I've never tried it with other sodas... does it work with any carbonated drink?" Evans

merry
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Could be that you conserve gas with the windows down because the A/C is off? :confused:

Yes that's it - I wasn't clear. Thanks to Mythbusters my son wants me to turn the AC off and put the windows down (not just randomly put the windows down). However 100 degree temps and 65 mph speeds on I-40 make this approach somewhat impractical, for the most part.

knights68
08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
What did they show about Diet Coke and Mentos? I missed that? I know it works because I have done it myself. What myth did they try to prove or disprove about it?

I think they were first trying to prove or disprove what happens or to what extent. I am not really sure in the end what their primary reason(s) for taking on such a myth, but it was funny and fun to watch. Almost incited me to try it at home in my living room, although I suspect my roomie at the time, and her two cats, would have frowned on such an experiment. :D

Jfrosh
08-22-2007, 12:04 PM

-Jason "you know I've never tried it with other sodas... does it work with any carbonated drink?" Evans

They agreed up front that it works since there was documented proof on youtube. They broke down the ingredients to see why it worked. Carbination vs caffeine vs other ingredients. What they found was that although several of the ingredients reacted to each others it was the combination that provided the perfect storm. So while it works a little with other carbonated drinks, it doesn't the the extent of the diet coke.

TNTDevil
08-22-2007, 12:14 PM

-Jason "you know I've never tried it with other sodas... does it work with any carbonated drink?" EvansThey did several things with this episode. First they duplicated the event. Next, they broke the process down chemically to see what, precisely, was responsible for the reaction- it was the combination of carbonation, artificial sweetner, ascorbic acid and "nucleation"(millions of tiny pits on the surface of the Mentos). Thirdly, they tried, as they always do, to "amp-up" the process. Which they did nicely.

BTW, if you haven't seen the Christmas Special where they use the DC/Mentos event to start their Rube Goldberg contraption. You should check it out (http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=203711706&categoryId=210013704) (Select the "Holiday Treat" clip).

DevilWolf
08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm actually curious about the seagull eating an Alka Seltzer myth, but would never try it, nor would I want somebody to try and tell me if they really do explode.

Lavabe
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM

The Mentos one I saw recently was based off the Mentos/Coke routine. Some guy on YouTube swallowed Mentos, followed by some DietCoke, and ... KA-BLAM!! The guy passed out, and went to the hospital ... due to an exploded stomach?

Here's the 'busters test:
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/110633/Mythbusters_Exploding_Stomach.html
Warning: this covers the first couple of tests, but not the ultimate one.
Cheers,
Lavabe