PDA

View Full Version : Pac 12's Ed Rush Offers Bounty For Technicals Called on Sean Miller

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 01:15 AM
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/04/01/ed-rush-pac-12-dismissal/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

Pretty messed up if true. Suspended? I'd say fire the guy.

brevity
04-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Corrupt officials AND bounties? I think ESPN's Outside the Lines just wet its pants.

This story reminded me of this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30405), which I may have accidentally shut down. (I tend to do that. Sorry.)

The good news is that this allegation comes just in time for the Final Four spotlight and coaches' convention; the bad news is that everyone will advise against rushing to judgment, as if waiting and seeing can be beneficial. It's not. To retain their integrity, sports cannot even have the appearance of corruption in their officiating. You almost have to amputate the negative element in question, and then determine whether it was negative at all.

This should be the story of the offseason, but I doubt it will be.

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Corrupt officials AND bounties? I think ESPN's Outside the Lines just wet its pants.

This story reminded me of this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30405), which I may have accidentally shut down. (I tend to do that. Sorry.)

The good news is that this allegation comes just in time for the Final Four spotlight and coaches' convention; the bad news is that everyone will advise against rushing to judgment, as if waiting and seeing can be beneficial. It's not. To retain their integrity, sports cannot even have the appearance of corruption in their officiating. You almost have to amputate the negative element in question, and then determine whether it was negative at all.

This should be the story of the offseason, but I doubt it will be.

Apparently, Ed Rush butted heads with Mark Cuban a few times in his NBA stint.

Sounds like a real piece of work, overall. Doesn't belong in the profession.

Cameron
04-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Those close to the situation are saying the remarks were said in jest, and not an actual proposition. This seems much more likely than an elaborate conspiracy to bring down Sean Miller at the Pac 12 tournament. Regardless, the head of officials for a major conference should never joke about this type of thing, because, if it ever goes public, you've lost your position of respect and should be fired.

BD80
04-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Those close to the situation are saying the remarks were said in jest, and not an actual proposition. This seems much more likely than an elaborate conspiracy to bring down Sean Miller at the Pac 12 tournament. Regardless, the head of officials for a major conference should never joke about this type of thing, because, if it ever goes public, you've lost your position of respect and should be fired.

Its fair to say that Miller can be a pain in the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. As a player he was kind of a blend of JJ and Tyler Thornton in attitude, the guy you liked if he was on your team but didn't really respect if he was against you.

I can see his antics wearing quickly on the refs, making their jobs very difficult. Miller rides that edge of questioning every call / disrespecting the refs that carries over to the players, and games tend toward chippy pick-up games. Miller's youth makes it worse, he hasn't earned the respect of officials, and hasn't learned to back off when they give him the indications that they think he is showing them up.

The "bounty" is certainly a joke, but it would not suprise me that there is a lot of pent up frustration underlying the joke which struck a nerve with all the refs.

weezie
04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Cue some pious soul declaring that "officials are only human and do make mistakes but overall the integrity of the game is safe in their hands".

Apparently, a little too human. But then again, who doesn't think we need more joking around in refereeing?

BigZ
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
I am calling bs on the argument that he was joking. These refs would not have gone to the press if they did not take it seriously.

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Not buying it. "I was joking" is a cop out. And it doesn't negate the fact that Miller *did* get a technical foul at a crucial point of a game Arizona had a real chance of winning, nor does it negate the fact that the technical was iffy at best.

Since when does a coach get T'd up for asking the refs to talk about a call without swearing at them?

moonpie23
04-02-2013, 10:33 AM
"i was joking" is what you say immediately following the realization that you just screwed up....badly...

buddy
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Whether a joke or not, Rush has to go if the PAC-12 wants any credibility. I can just imagine the reaction next year with a tie game at Tempe and Miller gets T'd. Think the Comcast Center on steroids. There is no place in the game for biased officiating, and there is no place in the game for a supervisor who would make that kind of joke.

Cameron
04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Whether a joke or not, Rush has to go if the PAC-12 wants any credibility.

This is really all that matters at this point.

Newton_14
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Except one of the ref's in the mtg called a controversial technical with 4 minutes left in the Pac12 semifinal game against UCLA. A game Arizona lost by 2 points, and colleague's reported that the ref who called the technical almost never T's anyone up.

Those viewing this from the "I don't like Sean Miller" angle are looking at it all wrong. This is about the integrity of the game. Whether Miller rides the ref's or not is irrelevant. Rush has to be fired. In jest or not, the comments were highly inappropriate.

Just replace Rush with the ACC head of officials, and replace Miller with Coach K, then tell me how you view this...

What other PAC 12 coaches, schools, or teams, does Rush have an issue with? How many games were ref'd fairly this year? If I am Johnny Dawkins, I want Rush gone immediately.

buddy
04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
It is important to note that the PAC-12 did not deny the accuracy of the statement, only characterized it as a joke. So we know the comment was made. Taking the PAC-12 position at face value it demonstrates a complete lack of judgment from an individual whose entire job is about exercising judgment. Expect Rush to "retire" this summer.

moonpie23
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
it COULD have completely been a joke...unfortunately, that joke is going to get him fired....

media will make sure this has legs...

Cameron
04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Except one of the ref's in the mtg called a controversial technical with 4 minutes left in the Pac12 semifinal game against UCLA. A game Arizona lost by 2 points, and colleague's reported that the ref who called the technical almost never T's anyone up.

Do you have pics of that referee floating around on an inner-tube in Cancun sipping jello shots of vodka off the chests of beautiful women?

Those viewing this from the "I don't like Sean Miller" angle are looking at it all wrong. This is about the integrity of the game. Whether Miller rides the ref's or not is irrelevant. Rush has to be fired. In jest or not, the comments were highly inappropriate.
Just replace Rush with the ACC head of officials, and replace Miller with Coach K, then tell me how you view this...

I made this same point in two separate posts above. We are in agreement.

FerryFor50
04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Ed Rush "steps down"

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?offset=3&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Clego%3A19780928% 3Atop%2Carticle%2C80977bc3-89d1-36aa-80d8-29c72d00df29-l%3A1&.ts=1365125973&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

BD80
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Ed Rush "steps down"

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?offset=3&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Clego%3A19780928% 3Atop%2Carticle%2C80977bc3-89d1-36aa-80d8-29c72d00df29-l%3A1&.ts=1365125973&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

Finally, a good call

Mal
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Ed Rush "steps down"[/url]

Not terribly gracefully, we should add: "See, where I come from, in the NBA, there's a code that you definitely follow. You never, ever take the conversations in that locker room outside. I learned that code in 1966. Mendy Rudolph taught me that. You talk to the NBA officials, they all follow the code. There's a few guys (in the Pac-12) who didn't follow that code. They missed that part, and that's a shame. That's a very important part of the bond and the profession. Shame on me for not knowing that, but I used poor judgment."

What is this, the Marines? The Mafia? You're a basketball referee, man.

Cameron
04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Not terribly gracefully, we should add: "See, where I come from, in the NBA, there's a code that you definitely follow. You never, ever take the conversations in that locker room outside. I learned that code in 1966. Mendy Rudolph taught me that. You talk to the NBA officials, they all follow the code. There's a few guys (in the Pac-12) who didn't follow that code. They missed that part, and that's a shame. That's a very important part of the bond and the profession. Shame on me for not knowing that, but I used poor judgment."

What is this, the Marines? The Mafia? You're a basketball referee, man.

It sounds like there might be additional, much more serious bounties coming. Mendy Rudoph sounds like a lieutenant in a crime family.

MaxAMillion
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear that Rush is gone. I believe there is plenty of bias and corruption in officiating just like with every other group who has power. Never understood why so many go along with the assumption that refs (at every level) are non biased.

Atlanta Duke
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Speaking of Ed Rush's time in the NBA, Bill Simmons has this observation

Ed Rush ran NBA officiating during some of the most dubiously reffed NBA playoff games ever (1998-2003).

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/318872492108308481