PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky news

FerryFor50
04-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Goodwin to NBA; Cauley-Stein and Wiljter sticking around

http://m.si.com/2596598/kentucky-basketball-archie-goodwin-turning-pro-kyle-wiltjer-willie-cauley-stein-returning/2bbedc35/

Harrow transferring to Ga St to be with his ailing father:

http://m.si.com/2579110/kentucky-pg-harrow-to-transfer-to-georgia-state/2bbedc35/

Best case scenario is that Wiggins goes to FSU and Kentucky has in-fighting all season, missing a 2nd straight NCAA tourny.

Kedsy
04-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Poythress still deciding?

FerryFor50
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Yep. Wonder if his decision hinges on Wiggins....

BD80
04-01-2013, 08:47 PM

Didn't he already say he is staying? Right after they got nixed in the NIT?

Kedsy
04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Didn't he already say he is staying? Right after they got nixed in the NIT?

Yeah, but I thought Goodwin did too, didn't he?

BD80
04-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, but I thought Goodwin did too, didn't he?

Golly! Whatever could have changed his mind?

tommy
04-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Goodwin to NBA.

Idaho Stampede, here I come!

rhynelander
04-02-2013, 02:04 AM
http://zagsblog.com/kentucky/wiggins-if-i-went-to-kentucky-wed-win-it-all-for-sure/

I'm sure everyone has differing opinions of Zagoria, but the clip of Wiggins from this entry made me sick to my stomach. He is clearly giddy about the prospect of playing at UK and also says that if he did go there they would "win it all." I just feel like, besides the obvious challenge of turning a mediocre or bad team around, that UK has everything Wiggins could want out of his year in limbo before the NBA. Julius Randle, among the other super-recruits, had alluded to the attractiveness of going up against one another in practice and the benefits from that. Now I don't want to sound like I'm already conceding next years NCAAT title to them before this years is even played, but I just have this bad feeling that Andrew Wiggins will be wearing a shade of blue that is too similar to the hue of our own beloved squad. If this is the case I wouldn't be surprised if Poythress is pushed out just like Harrow and Goodwin have been.

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 07:13 AM
http://zagsblog.com/kentucky/wiggins-if-i-went-to-kentucky-wed-win-it-all-for-sure/

I'm sure everyone has differing opinions of Zagoria, but the clip of Wiggins from this entry made me sick to my stomach. He is clearly giddy about the prospect of playing at UK and also says that if he did go there they would "win it all." I just feel like, besides the obvious challenge of turning a mediocre or bad team around, that UK has everything Wiggins could want out of his year in limbo before the NBA. Julius Randle, among the other super-recruits, had alluded to the attractiveness of going up against one another in practice and the benefits from that. Now I don't want to sound like I'm already conceding next years NCAAT title to them before this years is even played, but I just have this bad feeling that Andrew Wiggins will be wearing a shade of blue that is too similar to the hue of our own beloved squad. If this is the case I wouldn't be surprised if Poythress is pushed out just like Harrow and Goodwin have been.
Perhaps the best thing about everyone going to UK is that perhaps this may keep the Duke kids around for 1 more year. Wiggins will make UK the favorite but of course things happen during a season you cannot predict and one bad night in the tourney can mean disaster. Should help make UK the program everyone else will want to see fail.

Ichabod Drain
04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Best case scenario is that Wiggins goes to FSU and Kentucky has in-fighting all season, missing a 2nd straight NCAA tourny.

They could literally fight each other on court in the middle of games and that team would make the NCAA... probably as a #1 seed. That team is going to be ridiculous.

slower
04-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I just have this bad feeling that Andrew Wiggins will be wearing a shade of blue that is too similar to the hue of our own beloved squad.

As long as it's not that OTHER (uglier) shade of blue, I can live with it.

lotusland
04-02-2013, 09:14 AM

I think of any UK championships during the Cal era as rented anyway because eventually they are going back. Even if Cal isn't orchestrating the cheating he certainly isn't minding the store either. He has a history of not being aware of what is going on. Combine that with constantly courting questionable recruits with so called "handlers" and a fan/booster base that thinks it is only cheating if you get caught and you have recipe for disaster. It's just a matter of time.

wilko
04-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Tru dat!

crimsonandblue
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Perhaps the best thing about everyone going to UK is that perhaps this may keep the Duke kids around for 1 more year. Wiggins will make UK the favorite but of course things happen during a season you cannot predict and one bad night in the tourney can mean disaster. Should help make UK the program everyone else will want to see fail.

I think the best thing about everyone going to UK is that they'll draw attention from other schools to do something about the one-and-done factory concept; like reinstitution of the 5-and-8 rule or something similar. It's one thing for taking OADs to be incident to operation of a program. It's another thing for OADs to be the program. While the NCAA is a corrupt, money-making machine, it generally needs to have at least a veneer of respectability and educational purpose.

DUKIE V(A)
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
They could literally fight each other on court in the middle of games and that team would make the NCAA... probably as a #1 seed. That team is going to be ridiculous.

UK will be exceptionally talented without a doubt, but thankfully Championships need to be won on the court. Chemistry, injuries, or one bad night against the wrong team could all be issues. I'll take "The Field."

BD80
04-02-2013, 09:59 AM

It is an insult to the color blue to call carolina's color a shade of blue! Can we call it Celeste, or Periwinkle or Glaucous?

How about cariwinkle? celelina? Obnoxious glaucous goat?

Ichabod Drain
04-02-2013, 10:02 AM
UK will be exceptionally talented without a doubt, but thankfully Championships need to be won on the court. Chemistry, injuries, or one bad night against the wrong team could all be issues. I'll take "The Field."

I would take the field as well, my comment was in response to the proposition of them missing the NCAA tourny again.

slower
04-02-2013, 10:15 AM
It is an insult to the color blue to call carolina's color a shade of blue! Can we call it Celeste, or Periwinkle or Glaucous?

How about cariwinkle? celelina? Obnoxious glaucous goat?

I usually just call it "toilet water blue."

moonpie23
04-02-2013, 10:30 AM

as long as it crushes the hopes and dreams of the guys down the street.....i'm all for that

MaxAMillion
04-02-2013, 11:20 AM

I don't think there is any reason for Poythress to leave unless he wants to go. UK will only have a couple of players remaining from last year's class and one from the 2011 class (Wiltjer). UK was giving scholarships to walk ons this past year. I would think Cal would like some experience back with this monster freshman class. The problem is that Poythress may assume that his draft stock will drop out of the first round altogether if he comes back.

crimsonandblue
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't think there is any reason for Poythress to leave unless he wants to go. UK will only have a couple of players remaining from last year's class and one from the 2011 class (Wiltjer). UK was giving scholarships to walk ons this past year. I would think Cal would like some experience back with this monster freshman class. The problem is that Poythress may assume that his draft stock will drop out of the first round altogether if he comes back.

The reason for Poythress to leave is pretty simple: Randle, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Wiltjer, Wiggins, and Young. He's a versatile guy, but it would be tough to log as many minutes next year as he did this (nearly 26/game). Maybe he's cool with that. Maybe he can still garner a high draft slot after next year despite barely playing (like Daniel Orton did). But he's looking at stiff competition for minutes with a coach whose loyalties aren't exactly pristine.

Troublemaker
04-02-2013, 11:55 AM
as long as it crushes the hopes and dreams of the guys down the street.....i'm all for that

Agreed. Who's to say UNC wouldn't be right there with UK, Duke (and probably others like Ohio St) if they got Wiggins?

I prefer UNC to be clearly worse than Duke.

Kentucky can have Wiggins, and I'll take the field. Injuries, chemistry, season-long intense pressure, a bad shooting night against a packed in defense. So many ways it could go wrong. No need to worry about one team. Odds are against a Duke-UK matchup in the tournament anyway. Either Duke loses beforehand or UK loses beforehand, or if we actually play, Duke could still win.

If, after all the commitments shake out, Duke is the clear 2nd-best team with UNC clearly inferior, I'll take that.

Give me that and full health for Duke next season and it'd be crazy not to take.

rhynelander
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Agreed. Who's to say UNC wouldn't be right there with UK, Duke (and probably others like Ohio St) if they got Wiggins?

I prefer UNC to be clearly worse than Duke.

Kentucky can have Wiggins, and I'll take the field. Injuries, chemistry, season-long intense pressure, a bad shooting night against a packed in defense. So many ways it could go wrong. No need to worry about one team. Odds are against a Duke-UK matchup in the tournament anyway. Either Duke loses beforehand or UK loses beforehand, or if we actually play, Duke could still win.

If, after all the commitments shake out, Duke is the clear 2nd-best team with UNC clearly inferior, I'll take that.

Give me that and full health for Duke next season and it'd be crazy not to take.

I agree with your post except for the bold. Although I feel like I love blowing out an overmatched UNC team as much as almost anybody here, The most exciting and memorable games were the closely fought, crazy competitive affairs that went down to the wire. Regardless of what happens with Mr. Wiggins, I still like our chances against either UNC or 'Tucky with our incredibly talented squad of student athletes

moonpie23
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
The most exciting and memorable games were the closely fought, crazy competitive affairs that went down to the wire.

82-50 is one of the most exciting and memorable games i can think of over the past ....umm.....well...EVER....

mccollums
04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Poythress returning
http://www.coachcal.com/21869/2013/04/poythress-coming-back-for-sophomore-season/

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Poythress returning
http://www.coachcal.com/21869/2013/04/poythress-coming-back-for-sophomore-season/

Gee, I wonder if he'll be more "coach able" next season.

Gotta hand it to Cal to talk guys out of leaving that would almost certainly be first round picks... Also have to wonder if Kentucky is resigned to missing out on Wiggins, too...

BlueDevilBrowns
04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Also have to wonder if Kentucky is resigned to missing out on Wiggins, too...

If I'm a Connect-The-Dots UNC fan, I'm liking my chances with Wiggins with this move.

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
If I'm a Connect-The-Dots UNC fan, I'm liking my chances with Wiggins with this move.

Even if Wiggins said "I will never go to UNC," Carolina fans would think they were still in the running.

Carolina fans are a collective of Lloyd Christmases.

"So you're telling me there's a chance..."

moonpie23
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Gee, I wonder if he'll be more "coach able" next season.

Gotta hand it to Cal to talk guys out of leaving that would almost certainly be first round picks... Also have to wonder if Kentucky is resigned to missing out on Wiggins, too...

is there news on wiggins? why do you think uk misses on him?

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
is there news on wiggins? why do you think uk misses on him?

Just a hunch. All the articles I've read on him say FSU is the leader. And with all of these "one and dones" reversing course and sticking around, it just makes sense that wiggins would want to go somewhere to be the featured player.

moonpie23
04-02-2013, 09:43 PM
wiggins will be the "featured player" ANYWHERE he goes......

from that video, i'd say he's heading to uk......

but then again, i said that HWNSNBM seemed like a pretty good guy....

FerryFor50
04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
wiggins will be the "featured player" ANYWHERE he goes......

from that video, i'd say he's heading to uk......

but then again, i said that HWNSNBM seemed like a pretty good guy....

He may get *told* he will be the featured player, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see Wiggins as that much better than the rest of the Kentucky blue chippers.

COYS
04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
He may get *told* he will be the featured player, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see Wiggins as that much better than the rest of the Kentucky blue chippers.

I agree with this. Wiggins physical skills are off the charts. However, he's not a consistent ball handler or outside shooter. He will need someone to get him the ball in good spots if he's going to be the featured player on offense. On a team that will have so many other talented players, including the Harrison twins who will (presumably) dominate the ball handling duties, there is no guarantee that Wiggins would get enough touches to be featured. He'll get points just because he's really talented and will probably be able to clean up around the basket enough with his athleticism alone to average double digit points. Add to that a few transition buckets and some offensive moves and he's probably in good shape. But it remains to be seen whether his weaknesses with ball-handling and shooting prevent him from creating off the dribble and getting to the rim as easily as we would expect based on his physical abilities.

Ichabod Drain
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Just a hunch. All the articles I've read on him say FSU is the leader. And with all of these "one and dones" reversing course and sticking around, it just makes sense that wiggins would want to go somewhere to be the featured player.

Kentucky only had three "one and done" type players this past year and two of them are going pro. Wiggins has also said he really wants to win a national championship, which if you focus on that gives the edge to Kentucky. There are decent cases to be made for each school... except maybe Kansas.

NSDukeFan
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Kentucky only had three "one and done" type players this past year and two of them are going pro. Wiggins has also said he really wants to win a national championship, which if you focus on that gives the edge to Kentucky. There are decent cases to be made for each school... except maybe Kansas.

If he wants to win a national championship, that would seem to eliminate FSU, unfortunately.

dukelifer
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM

If he really wants to win one- then he should stay in school for 4 years ;) Carmello was able to take his team to a NC. If Wiggins is that good- he should be able to do the same.

tommy
04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I agree with this. Wiggins physical skills are off the charts. However, he's not a consistent ball handler or outside shooter. He will need someone to get him the ball in good spots if he's going to be the featured player on offense. On a team that will have so many other talented players, including the Harrison twins who will (presumably) dominate the ball handling duties, there is no guarantee that Wiggins would get enough touches to be featured. He'll get points just because he's really talented and will probably be able to clean up around the basket enough with his athleticism alone to average double digit points. Add to that a few transition buckets and some offensive moves and he's probably in good shape. But it remains to be seen whether his weaknesses with ball-handling and shooting prevent him from creating off the dribble and getting to the rim as easily as we would expect based on his physical abilities.

I agree with this. I won't be surprised if Wiggins has a season kind of like Ben McLemore. Wiggins is 3" taller, but they have the same body types and what seem like similar games. Both are out-of-this-world athletes but get a lot of their points by just outjumping guys and outquicking them. That's obviously going to be tougher for Wiggins in college than in high school. He'll be able to do it some, but the defense will be tougher and more consistent. He doesn't seem to have a great outside shot and therefore will be somewhat dependent on a good point guard getting him the ball where he likes it. If he goes to Kentucky, will Harrison be so inclined? When you couple that with all the touches that the Harrisons, Randle, Poythress, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, and Young (for whatever minutes he gets) are going to need, it's hard to see Wiggins getting more than, say, 15 ppg. McLemore was a 2nd team All-American, don't get me wrong. That would be an excellent guy to emulate. But I don't see Wiggins, if he goes to Kentucky, being a 20 ppg 1st team All-American player. Not at Kentucky.

Des Esseintes
04-05-2013, 04:54 PM
I agree with this. I won't be surprised if Wiggins has a season kind of like Ben McLemore. Wiggins is 3" taller, but they have the same body types and what seem like similar games. Both are out-of-this-world athletes but get a lot of their points by just outjumping guys and outquicking them. That's obviously going to be tougher for Wiggins in college than in high school. He'll be able to do it some, but the defense will be tougher and more consistent. He doesn't seem to have a great outside shot and therefore will be somewhat dependent on a good point guard getting him the ball where he likes it. If he goes to Kentucky, will Harrison be so inclined? When you couple that with all the touches that the Harrisons, Randle, Poythress, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, and Young (for whatever minutes he gets) are going to need, it's hard to see Wiggins getting more than, say, 15 ppg. McLemore was a 2nd team All-American, don't get me wrong. That would be an excellent guy to emulate. But I don't see Wiggins, if he goes to Kentucky, being a 20 ppg 1st team All-American player. Not at Kentucky.
None of the above is wrong, but let's not forget McLemore was a leading NPOY candidate at midseason. Though he fell off that pace somewhat in the back third of the schedule, I don't think it was foreordained that he would.

licc85
04-07-2013, 02:39 AM
I honestly hope with all my heart that Wiggins goes to FSU. I dislike UK and UNC pretty much evenly, and I sincerely hope the guy doesn't pick either school so that I don't feel the need to root against him for the rest of his career. Plus, having a talent like Wiggins in the ACC would be pretty exciting to watch, and would definitely improve the overall quality of the league.

Channing
04-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Ben McLemore has the potential to be an elite shooter, and I often see him compared to a young Ray Allen. From what I know, Wiggins does not have much of an outside shot, which sort of eliminates a comparison to Wiggins in my mind. I think a more appropriate comparison would be a rich man's Maggette or a poor man's young Lebron.

tommy
04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Ben McLemore has the potential to be an elite shooter, and I often see him compared to a young Ray Allen. From what I know, Wiggins does not have much of an outside shot, which sort of eliminates a comparison to Wiggins in my mind. I think a more appropriate comparison would be a rich man's Maggette or a poor man's young Lebron.

Big difference in my mind between Wiggins and Maggette/LeBron is the body. At age 18 Maggette had a body like a Greek god. Muscles on top of muscles, perfectly proportioned. LeBron was even more thickly muscled -- the body of a fully developed and huge man while yet a junior in high school. Wiggins is much more slender. He's not a beanpole. That's not what I mean. But still, not in the same league with those two in terms of the development of his body.

sagegrouse
04-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Big difference in my mind between Wiggins and Maggette/LeBron is the body. At age 18 Maggette had a body like a Greek god. Muscles on top of muscles, perfectly proportioned. LeBron was even more thickly muscled -- the body of a fully developed and huge man while yet a junior in high school. Wiggins is much more slender. He's not a beanpole. That's not what I mean. But still, not in the same league with those two in terms of the development of his body.

Kevin Durant was unable to do a single bench press at the combine in 2007. And, of course, at his NFL combine, Tom Brady was the least-impressive player at any position. 40 time was well over 5.0, and he had no, nada, zero muscular development.

sagegrouse

tommy
04-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Kevin Durant was unable to do a single bench press at the combine in 2007. And, of course, at his NFL combine, Tom Brady was the least-impressive player at any position. 40 time was well over 5.0, and he had no, nada, zero muscular development.

sagegrouse

With your point being . . . ??

I was just saying that I don't see much of a comparison between Wiggins and Maggette or Wiggins and LeBron due to the fact that Maggette and LeBron had much, much more developed and well-muscled bodies coming out of high school than does Wiggins. Doesn't mean he can't be or won't be a great player, but a different type of player than those guys. More pure springs, less power.

Cameron
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
With your point being . . . ??

I was just saying that I don't see much of a comparison between Wiggins and Maggette or Wiggins and LeBron due to the fact that Maggette and LeBron had much, much more developed and well-muscled bodies coming out of high school than does Wiggins. Doesn't mean he can't be or won't be a great player, but a different type of player than those guys. More pure springs, less power.

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but I'm not so sure that Wiggins has more pure springs than did Maggette. When Corey dunked, he took an elevator. Wiggins leaps. Maggette hovered. Just my take. Although, I'm not really arguing with you. They are both great.

tommy
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Kentucky's 2013 Mr. Basketball, 6'0" guard Dominique Hawkins, has committed to the Wildcats. It's a little bit of a head scratcher, as it is hard to imagine him getting much PT with Harrison around. And who will Cal recruit over him next year? Guess the kid just wanted to stay home and be a Wildcat.

mccollums
04-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Kentucky's 2013 Mr. Basketball, 6'0" guard Dominique Hawkins, has committed to the Wildcats. It's a little bit of a head scratcher, as it is hard to imagine him getting much PT with Harrison around. And who will Cal recruit over him next year? Guess the kid just wanted to stay home and be a Wildcat.

Yep, he's been a UK fan his whole life - so I think that explains the commitment.

It's an interesting turn in Calipari's recruiting strategy. I think he learned a lesson this season by not having more depth/experience on his roster. He's offered two 4 year players from the state of Kentucky this season. Hawkins and Derek Willis.

I haven't seen this kid play besides on a few video clips, but he looks like a pretty good athlete that plays much bigger then his height. He will also add a player shorter in stature to be the defensive pest in practice. If next season's UK team has a weakness (other then experience) it will be against a team with waterbug guards that can beat you off the dribble and pressure the ball handlers.

side note: Hawkin's high school team faced the Harrison twins this season. Hawkins had 29, but I have no idea how many shots or how well he played overall.

FerryFor50
04-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Ha.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=ea520643-a896-3226-af5f-941cb5fa343a&.ts=1365643765&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

lotusland
04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Let me be the first to start the rumor about Calipari to Cleveland in order to woo Lebron back via World Wide Wes. The basis for this rumor is that it is totally what I want to happen. Kyrie gets a shot at a title with Lebron but still maintains close ties with K to mitigate Cal's ethical challenges.

superdave
04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Let me be the first to start the rumor about Calipari to Cleveland in order to woo Lebron back via World Wide Wes. The basis for this rumor is that it is totally what I want to happen. Kyrie gets a shot at a title with Lebron but still maintains close ties with K to mitigate Cal's ethical challenges.

Nah. Timing is off because of this monster class Cal has coming.

If he can keep the UK semi-pro thing going, Cal will never leave college. He just has to avoid any sort of sanctions.

lotusland
04-18-2013, 05:15 PM

If he can keep the UK semi-pro thing going, Cal will never leave college. He just has to avoid any sort of sanctions.

Given the basis for the rumor I really don't think you can counter it with logic:D

BD80
04-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Cal doesn't have to deal with the salary cap at UK :rolleyes:

mgtr
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Ahh, very clever! I love it!

Newton_14
04-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Ha.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=ea520643-a896-3226-af5f-941cb5fa343a&.ts=1365643765&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

Ha too funny. "I'd back him down into the paint", yeah and then what? Any shot attempt would get sent to the 10th row. Jordan once blocked a Ralph Sampson skyhook shot at the peak of the arc. Big Ralph had posted up Sam Perkins on the right block, pivoted and shot the skyhook over his left shoulder and over the outstretched arms of Perkins. Jordan came from the weakside and pinned in on the glass near the top of the backboard. Most impressive block in college I have ever seen. Jordan would destroy Dakari and the Harrison kid. Not sure they would score a single bucket.

If that is truly how they feel, they are in for a rude awakening when the college season starts and they play their first good team, like Mich St in that Champions Classic tourney (Duke will be playing Kansas this time).

As for the Harrison kid, Kyrie would eat his lunch. This UK team will have real challenges with chemistry and team ball unless Calimari can shake some sense into the twins.

licc85
04-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Ha.

Forget "in his prime" . . . Jordan would school them both right now.

Ichabod Drain
04-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Forget "in his prime" . . . Jordan would school them both right now.

Full court or half court?

BD80
04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Full court or half court?

What does it matter? With MJ, he could cover the length of the floor without a dribble and never get called for traveling. MJ rules.

BismarckDuke
04-19-2013, 08:51 AM

No, but he does have to contend with graduation rates. And somewhere in all this, it has to catch up with him.

He could be the coach that teaches the NCAA that graduation rates should be based on the guys who play and not include the bench warmers, walkons.

Ichabod Drain
04-19-2013, 09:10 AM
No, but he does have to contend with graduation rates. And somewhere in all this, it has to catch up with him.

He could be the coach that teaches the NCAA that graduation rates should be based on the guys who play and not include the bench warmers, walkons.

Graduation rate has no effect on academic standing of the program. As long as players are in good academic standing when they leave the university whether to go to the draft, transfer, or move back into their parents basement.