PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Article on MD Leaving ACC

77devil
04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I was with a U of MD Regent over the weekend. He guesses rescinding the move is 50/50 at this point.

CDu
04-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I was with a U of MD Regent over the weekend. He guesses rescinding the move is 50/50 at this point.

Remember the date today.

MCFinARL
04-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Very proud of myself for remembering the date halfway through reading this article--last year it was well after finishing!

Loved this story--well played.

SeattleIrish
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Remember the date today.

I'm betting he did remember the date, and was attempting to progress the plot. And, I'm betting that even if he didn't remember the date, at this point his only cover is to say he was attempting to progress the plot :o

s.i.

77devil
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Remember the date today.

No kidding. Tongue firmly in cheek.

cbnaylor
04-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I Can't believe I fell for this......especially without seeing any sources. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Not enough lasers in the story... http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

dukeofcalabash
04-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Rescind? Just pay up what you owe the ACC for leaving and move on with all of your bottle throwing.

hudlow
04-01-2013, 09:23 AM
...only if Lefty comes back too....

MarkD83
04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
The whole reallignment story should have been published today........

hurleyfor3
04-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I was rather hoping the ACC was going announce a 10-year commitment to play the tournament in Madison Square Garden.

MCFinARL
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
The whole reallignment story should have been published today........

Unfortunately, just because realignment is a joke doesn't mean it's not actually happening....

davekay1971
04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Speaking of Maryland, anyone seen Gary Williams in the new Under Armor commercial for their space aged sweat-wicking-away material? Awesome ad.

cbarry
04-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Dangit, they got me-- hook, line, and sinker. I have to admit I fell for it when I read the article. Nice job DBR! :cool:

Remember the date today.

Lord Ash
04-01-2013, 10:27 AM
The thread someone posted this morning reminded me, so for once I didn't fall for it.

Here is a Turtle
04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I was about to say no way this is getting rescinded, then I remembered what day it is. I hate this day. I think everyone is lying.

Bostondevil
04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Since I came to DBR today looking specifically for the first of April story, I zeroed in on this one immediately. I'd give this one a 6. It had just enough plausibility to catch a few but not enough to catch seasoned vets.

(I earned respect? Admiration? Maybe it was just 10 minutes of glory as an undergrad for being the person who pointed out the date on the Sports Illustrated cover that had the story about Sid Finch.)

DukieInKansas
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Since I came to DBR today looking specifically for the first of April story, I zeroed in on this one immediately. I'd give this one a 6. It had just enough plausibility to catch a few but not enough to catch seasoned vets.

(I earned respect? Admiration? Maybe it was just 10 minutes of glory as an undergrad for being the person who pointed out the date on the Sports Illustrated cover that had the story about Sid Finch.)

Me, too, Bostondevil.

And Ozzie is right - not enough lasers!

WiJoe
04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
you sly devils

:cool:

OldPhiKap
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I hear we are recruiting Sid Finch's son. Hard to picture someone jumping with those boots.

DevilWearsPrada
04-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Dangit, they got me-- hook, line, and sinker. I have to admit I fell for it when I read the article. Nice job DBR! :cool:

DBR pulled a major April Fool's on the forum readers!!!!

I received texts this morning about the Maryland situation and thought "This is Odd!" And after a couple of cups of coffee, it occured to me that Today is April 1st!!!!

DBR......... You pulled a good one!!!!! Happy April Fool's to everyone! ;)

miramar
04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
If you declare for the NBA today, as Leslie did, does that mean you can take it back and return to school if you don't go until the second round?

77devil
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM

That would be Sidd Finch. I understand, memory is the first thing to go.

burnspbesq
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/4/1/4164554/college-lacrosse-syracuse-cornell-penn-maryland-carolina-virginia-johns-hopkins-hofstra#comments

ForkFondler
04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
I didn't have to remember it was April 1st:

>>>Although largely unseen by the public, behind the scenes, Maryland’s transition to the Big Ten has been tumultuous. Latest news and a DBR exclusive: under pressure from irate alumni and legislative threats to withhold funds, the Maryland Board of Trustees is expected to vote, as early as Monday, to rescind the decision to leave the ACC and join the Big Ten and will immediately request readmittance to the ACC.

Good start.

>>>Several ACC schools, led by Duke, UNC and Virginia, are expected to mount vehement opposition. Maryland may be forced to compete as an independent in 2014, and possibly as early as next season.

No and no. Duke, UNC, and Virginia might well mount opposition, but it wouldn't be "expected", and it probably wouldn't be vehement either.

>>>Bernadette V. McGlade, commissioner of the A-10, may offer a lifeline and invite Maryland to compete in that league, although that will leave their football program out in the cold.

This completely gives it up. WVDude-like, even.

>>>On the bright side, with wins scarce and attendance sparse, it’s very possible no one will notice.

Undeniably true, but too late to save the joke

gep
04-02-2013, 12:35 AM
I completely bought in to the article... but, as usual, I came immediately to this EK Board. And instantly found that "April Fool". FWIW, I essentially buy into every April Fool's joke... I'm just like that, I guess... But thanks to this board, I'm immediately set straight. :cool:

dukebsbll14
04-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Ugh, fell for it. Do I get a pass considering I read it on April 2nd?

Skitzle
04-02-2013, 02:30 AM
SBNation is one thing but the DBR article got reprinted in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/college/marylands-move-second-thoughts/fCBDd/

Fine job by the editor

Bostondevil
04-04-2013, 10:16 PM
That would be Sidd Finch. I understand, memory is the first thing to go.

Really? Who wrote the article? Cause I remember.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2013, 10:22 PM

George Plimpton, IIRC.

sagegrouse
04-04-2013, 10:23 PM

George Plimpton, the Paper Lion himself, who talked himself into the Lions training camp as a pretend QB -- a book and a movie ensued. Plimpton was also one of the early editors of the Paris Review, a legitimate literary journal that also served as a CIA front. A bit of a polymath would you say? (I have no idea what a polymath is, but this is as good a place as any to drop the word in.)

sagegrouse